Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Baronjutter posted:

Brutalist Interiors

I'm strangely attracted to Brutalism when done right. I think a lot of brutalist buildings as a whole fail because they were built in a time of the absolute worst ideas of urban planning and land use and tend to have huge pointless anti-human voids and monumental open spaces. But brutalist elements combined with more contemporary ideas of space can be nice. "brutalism with a human face" or something. I think mostly I'm just a huge sucker for raw and polished concrete.

The first and last are extremely my jam. I probably wouldn't love it as something I have to live in every day, but as like a hotel or a spot for a weekend I'm all over it. Its too bad that more people don't appreciate brutalism; they torn down an old theater here in Baltimore that I loved and are replacing it with more boring apartment towers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Clear? :razz: That can happen.

Are these stalls made of that glass that goes opaque when you run a current through them? It would be weird to invest in stalls if you're just going to eliminate privacy, i.e. the main reason to have stalls.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Someone trained an AI to create and name paint colors Janelle Shane

What's your pick for color of the summer? Mine's "Sand Dan"

If you're not down with Stanky Bean then just smdh

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

That is truly disheartening :(

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

gently caress this especially. gently caress this extra much. not only does it look dumb as hell, every time someone asks where the microwave is and you go "oh its in the cabinet that says microwave with a drawing of a microwave on it" its gonna sound like you're being cute with them.

I really don't get hiding your microwave with a door with a shittier looking microwave drawn on it.

e: also have fun pouring soup on your head using that stupidly high microwave

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Being drunk in that bathroom would be a nightmare :barf:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

It's crazy how quickly using a bad bathroom will make you realize how much you take the basic ability to poo poo in comfort for granted. I stayed in an Airbnb where the room was detached from the house. The bathroom was in what used to be a small closet just outside, and it was very clearly not big enough to fit the toilet. If you were going to sit down you had to back in. The shower was outside, just... exposed. It was cheap though!

e: found a photo. I'm honestly impressed that they managed it at all considering what they had to work with:

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 10, 2017

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, who wants to live in this 1959 Bauhaus beauty?

This is awesome and would actually make me briefly consider living in Minnesota.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

The real crime is paying almost a million honest-to-god dollars for a loving studio.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

The bannister between toilet and sink gives me pause, I admit.

Just wash your hands in the tub :downs:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

But that's the bidet.

Hmm. Then deuce in one sink and wash in the other? That bathroom is actually a pretty strong candidate for one of those back-of-toilet sinks for hand washing. Leave the vanity up top for getting ready in the morning or whatever.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

"What do you want in your house?" "One of everything. We want statues, and an arch, and a pool, and a sauna, and a wine cellar, and a fireplace, and a walk in closet, and and and... Also, take all the windows from the front of the house and put them in the back."

http://www.magnussonmakleri.se/objekt/obj19656_1575882482/?view=images#bilder

I never knew that I wanted an in-living-room pool, but boy do I ever.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

My biggest kitchen pet peeve other than no cabinet space is having the stove all alone on a wall with zero counter space nearby. Like if I'm making a stir fry or something and I have to throw stuff in the pan/pot real quick I need it right there with me, not on the other side of the room.

But something even more important is conspicuously absent in this newly renovated kitchen in a $715,000 house...

Range hoods are so passé.

As someone who curses his kitchen every day for not having a decent hood, gently caress everything about this.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I think it came up in this thread before: I put down some new hardwood flooring in my office, and I need to get a chair, but I reeeaaally don’t any to put down a plastic mat. I think it was mentioned that there are chairs/wheels that are a bit softer and this not as hard on a wood floor. How do I find such a thing, what am I looking for? Do I just buy a chair and replace the wheels, or do I need to find one that has them already, or what?

Your best bet is probably going to be buying the chair you want and then replacing the wheels with rubber casters. You should be able to find plenty of options for them on Amazon.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I made multiple moves as a kid and went without various bits of furniture for a week or so without getting all hosed in the head. I remember it was actually kinda fun and one time we made a box fort out of the box from the washing machine or something :3: we also put up a tent in the living room and popped Jiffy Pop on a camp stove. Kids love stuff like that as long as you make it a little adventure for them.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I don't get why people are so desperate to dunk on Prada Slut. They've even said that their method/theory/lifestyle/whatever isn't for everyone and that's okay.

Like, what's really wrong with not accepting a hand-me-down couch and waiting a week or two to suss out what you really want? That really is how we wind up having so much poo poo that we don't really want.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I think a lot of the time that people buy way more house than they need (and as a corollary more than they can reasonably afford) so there's suddenly a lot of pressure to make sure that they get the maximum value out of it. It's kinda like buying a really nice whiskey or wine or something and saying that you're going to save it for a special occasion, only you never drink it because no occasion ever feels "special" enough to justify the price that was spent so it just goes to waste.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Is it for sale because all of those statuettes came to life and murdered the previous owners?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

So many parts of that don't make sense, even ignoring the obvious. What's that access panel for? It's at the wrong end of the bath to be useful but isn't deep enough to be storage. What could possibly be on the floor below to warrant that being the wet wall? Downstairs neighbour's kitchen? And you're really really telling me that they decided the hallway from the front door was the right place for a bath? Even ignoring the stairs?

My cynicism for photoshops says it's fake, but my cynicism for slumlords says maybe it's real.

I can at least tell you that the panel is probably to get access to the pump mechanism for the jets, but usually they're less... obtrusive. Everything else is a big :shrug:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

what I am saying is that is basically something out of a Trump hotel

Yeah, that tracks.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

actionjackson posted:

A friend growing up had a house full of old "antiques" and poo poo, I always hated it. I don't want a bunch of stuff that I'm afraid to even touch. I want things I can actually use and interact with (i.e. a couch I can actually gently caress instead of just look at)

Am... am I using my couch wrong? :ohdear:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

This bathtub looks like it could align my chakras AND make them nut. Best of all? It has counterspace for all my silly soaps, smelly candles, drinks, and snacks. Oh, and a cat or three to loiter nearby, suspicious of bubbles. I might as well have cats in my 'won the lottery' daydream.

gently caress putting rocks AROUND the tub. Make the rocks the bathtub.

I'm not one for baths but holy gently caress I want to bathe in that tub

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

https://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-magill-131914778

Just keep going through the photos, you'll know when you get there.

:wtc:

That was, uh, pretty out of left field.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

In this example would the office or living room be front of the house?

I sort of like the idea of turning the office into a street-side studio and art gallery, and being able to close off the rest of my home to the public.

I believe the living room is the front, but imo if you flip the labels you accomplish the same thing and then I think the flow of the house is better too. I'd much rather have a larger studio/workspace than living room personally, however.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

A few years ago I made a trip to Costa Rica and splurged on a night at one of the hot spring resorts. The room had a giant soaking tub that filled with water directly from the hot springs and I'll be damned if it wasn't the best soak of my life. It's the baseline for all tubs for me going forward and I can't wait to put one of my own in one day.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

This gives me a panic attack

My eyes just slide off of it - there’s so much going on and the HDR on top of it is so garish that I can’t really process that I’m actually seeing anything.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Love to crane my neck way up and to the left to watch TV. Also digging the behead-a-bed in the loft that’s a brain bleed waiting to happen.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "passive solar"

I love the idea of big wide open windows like this in theory but in practice... I rented a house for a long weekend with some friends in the mountains in Colorado last fall with a wall full of windows facing west. It was pretty nice to be able to look out over the mountains until 1pm or so when the sun began to punish anyone who was foolish enough to sit in the living room. Even with all of the shades down and any windows in the rest of the house open it was still pushing the upper 80s inside on a 60-degree day. I can’t imagine trying to live with that in the summer.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That does make some sense, but there are folded towels sitting there on the shelf.

My guess was a semi-abstract safety thing, like a handrail but overhead. They seem oriented appropriately for that to the steps.

That was my assumption too, since those stairs are a death trap once there’s any water on them.

E: also threading a towel through one of those would be a pain in the rear end.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Sloth Life posted:

I will never really understand houses where you walk through bedroom 1 to get to bedroom 2. Like hi kids, you have sod all privacy mam and dad are just gonna waaaander through to the main bedroom!
Or worse, hi guests!

Well you typically had a lot of people sharing one house and the concept of personal privacy for must people didn’t really exist until relatively recently, so this was just the way it was.

Also IIRC these were designed to maximize comfort with the kitchen at the back and the sleeping quarters close to that - keeps you warm in the winter, then you open things up in the summer to expel the heat from cooking.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

From the industrial house:

This is definitely for murderin’

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I think it’s probably a tea light, or the vessel from whence the clown genie came.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "makeup"

I really like the storage space in the center instead of one long mirror, seems like a much better use of that middle space.

Youth Decay posted:

bonus: the worst vanity

This just brings me a lot of joy.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Someone tell me the ONE EASY TRICK to being able to keep using my office chair mat (which is for carpet and has those little spiky things) on my laminate floor. I could buy a 36x48 cheap mat perhaps to put the chair mat on. I'm guessing putting on a piece of my old carpet won't look too modern.

I have no idea if the casters on the chair will damage the laminate, but I suppose I should assume so unless they tell me otherwise.

Swap the current casters for some :krad: roller skate style ones like these.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

3 (100% polyester, solvent/water cleanable, 20k rub count): I think this is a really interesting idea, especially in the small quantity on the swatch, but it seems like a lot in the full render.

This is a TV tuned to static in couch form.

All of the grays look fine for the most part, but don’t be afraid of looking at something in the blue-gray or gray-green range. They look a lot more neutral in practice than you might expect.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

This is with lighting from the sun peeking through the clouds. It's much more realistic (I tried an outside photo yesterday when it was sunny it didn't come out right). In particular, you can better see the hints of blue in 13, but hopefully you can also see what I mean by the hue being not quite right.

It seems 12 is the consensus favorite including for me.

From which site did you get these swatches?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I’ve been idly browsing house listings in my area the last couple of weeks, and one trend I’ve noticed is a stovetop facing the bar of an open-plan living space, like this:

My question is: why? It seems like a nightmare with no hood or even recirculator to speak of, and I don’t think it would be any easier to hold a conversation with someone while cooking. Is this just a flipper thing for the ~ a e s t h e t i c ~ or are people actually using their stovetops this way?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

D-LINK posted:

It doesn't look like this particular one has it, but they make down draft exhaust fan hidden in the surrounding cabinetry that automatically raises a vent from flush at countertop height and then it retracts when you turn the stove off.

OK, that’s pretty rad and I’ll keep an eye out for things like that as I browse. It’s been weird to me seeing all of these houses that completely lack some sort of air circulation around the stove though; when I lived on the East coast every place I lived at the very least had the crappy one built into the bottom of a microwave above it. When I started apartment hunting in Denver I was shocked by how many lacked something I’d consider so important to a kitchen.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Ah. Is cast pineapple Bad? I got my partner a pineapple necklace for her birthday. It's quite cute but would be good to know if she's telling people she's a nazi or something.

https://www.alexmonroe.com/pineapple-necklace

I’m guessing only someone who’s extremely online would ever think that unless she’s actively walking around sieg heil-ing, just like with the OK symbol. In other words:

cheese eats mouse posted:

If you don't let them have it they can't take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

There are some from Uplift or poppin that look a little better than your traditional Office Max cabinet if you want to go that route.