Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

learnincurve posted:

That’s not even remotely true and comes across as quite a bit racist posted next to your av. The UK from above is very very green. It’s a complex issue stemming from the way old medieval cities were layed out (when the population was only a few million) and also how the new industrial revolution cities were thrown up to accommodate a massive influx of people that came in from the countryside as cheaply as possible.

What is strange is when the govenment new build estate building projects happened after the wars they went “I know what poor people with lots of children will want! Massive gardens!”

I didn’t get any racism from that guy.
The South East of the UK very clearly is overcrowded, especially in terms of the infrastructure (roads, rail, services). Even if you wrongly blame immigration for that, you’re not really being racist.

That’s a general Uk problem with being London centric, and not investing enough in *anything* that might fix it.

UK houses being tiny / badly designed is a separate problem in large part though, other that land being expensive.

Partly it’s just that lots of our houses are ooooold, and pre-date things like bathrooms, so they’re small and compromised. Even so, period properties are valued and more popular that newer ones as they are better built: big windows, fireplaces, high ceilings.

And we threw up tons of cheap crappy houses in the post war years with no regard for design, size, space.

That legacy, and the historic layout of cities makes it difficult to fix things.

We also don’t enforce enough design standards for new houses that make them decent to live in:

Tiny windows, everywhere, always.
No high ceilings.
5 bed detached houses packed together so close you can jump between them.
Terraced houses with no sound insulation between neighbours.
New-build estates built with no public transport, no shops/entertainment nearby and no road connections to cope with the traffic.

We also do nothing to encourage moving away from the insane breeze block->bricks-> tiles building method, which is slow and wasteful and soo slow. And we cling to them.

50 years ago our public housing (council houses) building standards for room size, layout, construction were actually higher than we have ever enforced for private houses (or enforce now). The only thing we’ve improved is insulation.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Until England has room for proper national parks (free from farming & shooting as well as homes and industry) and room for the reintroduction of wolves and bears, it's overpopulated...

Agree.
Take a trip to the west of Ireland to see what it’d be like if there weren’t 10x too many people everywhere all the time (South East England anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Interior of a Frank Lloyd Wright house in Connecticut

More pictures here: https://www.6sqft.com/own-frank-lloyd-wrights-horseshoe-shaped-tirranna-home-in-new-canaan-ct-for-8m/
Can't really find if it was sold or not.

Is that floor dyed, polished concrete, or some massive tiles?

I feel like Frank Lloyd Wright houses would be acceptable if re-built with modern high-end triple glazing & insulation, but a pain to live in as is.

They do look beautiful though.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jaded Burnout posted:

I agree with this, tempered for practicality and individual situations. I could afford to build and plumb a temporary kitchen that I could shuffle around until it felt right, not everyone can afford to knowingly sink cost like that. It's also quite hard to do with e.g. internal walls.

True this. I wonder if AR technology could help a bit in the near future. Ikea already have an AR furniture preview feature I think.

I even tried to mock up layouts a bit with moving boxes after I bought my place, to play with layout.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Maybe this is one of those situations where it'd make sense to have a cantilevered extension where the upper floor extends out to the side more than the ground floor does.

Rather than talking about a cantilevered top floor extension, why don’t you start by just making it the same size as the ground floor? That space above the living room would go a long way to making the bedrooms bigger, or just making the layout better. I’d want a bigger bathroom, especially if you have a family.

I don’t personally like en-suite bathrooms, and would normally prefer just splitting up the main bathroom into 2 rooms:
A half bath, so just toilet & sink.
A full shower / bathroom without a toilet.

Also, you’ll be saving lots of money & complexity if you can make the bathrooms near / above the other rooms with plumbing.

Re the downstairs, I agree with the other poster that having laundry next to a media room doesn’t make sense, as it’ll disturb you when in use. If you can find the space upstairs that could be good, otherwise maybe move it to the other side of the house.

In general, just think about what you’d be using the separate rooms downstairs for, and whether you need a separate media room. How many people are there in your house?
Do you want the front door opening straight on to your living room?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Anne Whateley posted:

Bingo, it's worth schlepping the machines up once so you aren't schlepping laundry up and down every day.

The biggest reason these appliances are so heavy is usually a concrete block in the base for stability. Apparently they’ve recently had the idea of forgetting the concrete, and just putting a big (empty) water tank in the base, which you can fill once you’ve installed them.

Will make the schlepping easier, and will save millions in shipping apparently.

Anne Whateley posted:

The tradition of putting them in basements definitely came from guys who didn’t want to re-plumb their entire homes after washing machines were invented.

FTFY.

Many houses were about long before washing machines were common.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
[quote="TooMuchAbstraction" post="482909633"]

Could you fit the master closet in the dead space above the stairs?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

PRADA SLUT posted:

e: also, cramming people around an island or other work space to “socialize” while people cook is a dumb rationale (and idea)

Indeed. I don’t want my guests me swear, get hot oil mist over themselves & see which one of the steaks got dropped on the way to the plate.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well here's some Osmo transparent white, it's a wax oil finish:

I don't know what this is, it's called "lasyr" in swedish, a semi transparent finish basically

Same here, pine walls with the some other semi transparent white:

Yeah, love this finish. Generally called a lime washed effect I think, but these osmo products seems a great way of doing it.

I’m experimenting with re-finishing some furniture with it just now, there are a lots of different shades and whiteness levels to choose from.
edit: lime not line.

wooger fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 22, 2018

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Indolent Bastard posted:

I've always known semi-transparent paint as "milk paint".

It’s only the actual lime based products that can make your wood turn reddish, all the other ones, as noted above are just adding some white pigment to oil or wax or paint.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Liquid Communism posted:

gently caress half-walls. Kitchens need to be rooms. All an open concept kitchen is good for is getting a thin layer of grease on everything you own when the woefully undersized (and probably recirculating) hood can't keep up with any amount of actual cooking beyond making mac & cheese.

Gimme a kichen that's got walls and a commercial-grade hood.

Yeah this. I'd maybe have a big kitchen table in there for eating at, but I can't imagine much worse than everything else in my house being in the same room as me running a vent fan, oven & stir frying something.

Everything will smell of food/grease, and be coated in it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
If you’re not doing your cooking in the “kitchen” attached to your main living space, wouldn’t you be better off with just like, a drinks fridge, small cupboard and maybe a sink in there, and the door to the actual kitchen reasonably nearby?

Essentially a tiny drinks prep station.

Don’t you open plan fans ever want to do something different from your spouse / family at the same time?

I like listening to podcasts while cooking, and often escape the living room while my GF is watching anything reality on TV.

wooger fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 19, 2018

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I currently have lettuce and peas growing in my living room because my husband decided to get into hydroponics. They're growing in mason jars with some kind of nutrient water with daylight LEDs in a white posterboard enclosure. I actually dislike having this setup in the living room as it is really bright, ugly, takes up a lot of space and blocks the big bookcase, but we have a tiny house and there just isn't much space.

I am absolutely on team houseplant. We have dozens of them. One of the things we want most in a new house when we move is plant space. I'd love a whole plant room.

It’s called a garden?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

hailthefish posted:

You're in luck!

Not sure I see the point in having it attached to the house, especially if there’s not even a way to get in there without going outside first.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

TUBE is weird, but I kinda love the rest of it.

Really? The tube is far less problematic than the shelves full of creepy dolls for me.

And I can’t think of good reason for having beds like that in a living space outside of orgies.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

PRADA SLUT posted:

Usually buying fake items signifies a purchase for showing off some theoretical status, rather than an appreciation for the product. Which is extra weird for furniture since really nobody sees it but you or the people you invite over. Just who are you really trying to impress?

Huh. I’d say that it’s not even a factor for most knockoff furniture. Eames is maybe the exception because of this crazy malelivingspace mania.

Original pieces are laughably expensive for no reason other than exclusivity. They have good design, but almost no one is spending £6000 on a chair, or £500 per dining chair in the real world.

Of all the furniture in a price range, a lot of the options are based on classic designs, even those that aren’t direct copies.
If I choose a knockoff, it’s because it has good design for a sane price. Many people who have knockoff dining chairs have no idea that they’re copies of some specific designer model from the 60s - they just liked the way they looked.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

vonnegutt posted:

Yes, a PC case is most likely needs to be rectangular, have sides that can open, and exposed mesh/fans. But that's really it in terms of actual requirements. Heat management is not the reason every case has bright blue LEDs, racing stripes, or random angular panelling, all available in any color so long as it's black or grey.

Why aren't there any cases that look like a 1950s Chevy BelAir? Or have art deco stylings? Or even something as simple as a clean, rounded white that would look at home in a Pinterest office.

Mac figured out that not every computer owner is a corporate drone or a hacker edgelord, and they made money hand over fist for overpriced hardware because it looked cute to the rest of the population.

Check out the new System76 thelio for a different style of PC case https://system76.com/desktops They’re trying.

Apple haven’t and don’t sell significant numbers of desktops, and I’m not sure anyone does any longer - but I don’t think any consumers were dropping $3000 on MacPro for looks.

They’ve definitely been influential on PC designs, but it’s really no longer the case - go look at laptops - the Mac ones don’t stand out based on appearance at all in an electronics dept, just the logo. Do MacBooks look slicker than the new Surfaces?

Also go look at the Intel NUC vs Mac Mini. If you’re prepared to take the same size compromises that Apple force on you and pay a little extra the product is the same / better, many more configuration options and in the UK at least, the prices are 1/3.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

hailthefish posted:

Yikes. Yeah. Brutalism needs lots of light and 'airy' interior space to be livable. Contrasting materials can help a lot, too. Dumbass dug himself a lovely bunker.

I like both brutalism and ultra modern architecture homes, but not feeling that place.

I can’t understand the layout of that place at all, looks pokey considering it was custom built. Why are half the windows tiny? Why is half the house sunken into the ground? Why is there a big wall around the patio rather than putting it next to the garden?

What is that water feature in the garden meant for, a lovely pond?

Leaving unfinished concrete on the entire inside is not a good choice either, having rendered and painted walls in at least half of it plus a hardwood floor (maybe ceiling too) would go a long way to make it feel warmer and brighter.

Also, walking and standing on concrete constantly is not pleasant, it’s too hard.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ahahahahaha are you for real? Macs don’t stand out these days because literally the entire industry crawled up their butts aping their aesthetic. I’ll contend that Lenovo and HP were the first to bring gold to notebooks back in like 2012 but the year the MacBook came in gold every single holdout that remained (Dell, et al) had a gold laptop on the market within the quarter. And in the portables space the industry-wide plagiarism is un-loving-deniable.

Also I firsthand know people who bought/expensed trashcan pros because they needed something desktop/workstation-class and preferred the look.

Ha, if they truly needed workstations they would’ve been sorely disappointed when they overheated.

I’ve never really gotten the relevance of desktop size / appearance once you get to the point of having it situated at a desk - just put it on the floor and you’ll hardly even notice it.

For every design feature that you think the PC industry stole from MacBooks I can show you another one done first on a PC laptop.

e.g. Chicklet keys: Sony
All-Metal build: Panasonic

Re mobile: It’s hard to see what design elements can be stolen or reasonably copied from from a black rectangle, but agree the notch & removal of headphone port are obvious examples of thoughtless copying.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I have to admit, an underground house sorta makes sense for Wisconsin. It's gotta help with the energy bills in the winter, yeah?

https://www.edinarealty.com/homes-for-sale/n8064-975th-street-river-falls-wi-54022-5016012#/

Ugh, those internal walls all need to be smoothed off, made square / rounded as appropriate and plastered. Horrific. I don’t see any beauty or craftwork in the raw materials here, so cover them FFS.

Or alternatively just paint everything flesh-pink and make the house into an educational journey through the body of a giant.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

peanut posted:

We go through a liter of milk a day and gallon jugs don't exist here so I buy 3 or 4 liter cartons every shopping trip. Empty cartons are cut and flattened and used as disposable cutting boards :iia:

PS ceramic knives: what do you think???

What makes you think that the outside of a milk carton is sanitary to start with, can be cleaned to a sanitary state and doesn’t leech random chemicals into your food?

Gross, why?!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
That’s the only Finnish place I’ve ever seen without pine floorboards.

I think some white paint would quickly make that bearable. And as is, it’s at least not the horrible orangey varnish colour that you think of for pine furniture.

A more urgent problem would be having some way to block light in the bedroom. I understand liking a lot of light, but I have no idea how anyone sleeps in the summer. Been to Finland a couple of times and never stayed in an apartment with useful curtains.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Wear a sleeping mask, maybe? :shrug:

That’s not really a nice long term solution for your own home imo, more a travel thing. And way less comfortable.

It’s proven to damage your eyes long term if you sleep in light rooms.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Subjunctive posted:

Do you have a reference for this? I can only find a 1999 study on small children that explicitly disclaims causation (and I don’t have access to the whole article).

Not sure, possibly linked to that study.

there wolf posted:

Yeah but it's Finland so how light does it ever really get?

100% bright daylight for almost 24 hours in the summer.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Youth Decay posted:

A house for people who loving LOVE carpet
Probably the only carpeted kitchen to be described as

Grim stuff. Ive recently viewed a slight fixer upper house for sale in the UK which had carpet tiles in the kitchen for some reason, whilst having what looked like a pretty new kitchen. Weird, especially as the rest of the ground floor had wood floors.

there wolf posted:

If by bright you mean a weird twilight that fucks up your circadian rhythms, then yes.

Depends how far north you go. It’s definitely odd and hard to adjust to while visiting for a week or two.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Liquid Communism posted:

Oven built-ins aren't about hiding the oven a lot of the time. They're about moving it to a more useful height than knee level.

I can’t see why anyone would want a range style cooker if they have any choice.

An oven at the height of my knees is inconvenient and dangerous, and being in the same space as the burners makes it really inconvenient to get to when cooking with someone else.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

pzy posted:

Adam Carolla might like this bathroom, as this is his kitchen:

Really? His current kitchen?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I remember him going on about an epoxy floor for a while, clearly not at this place.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Urcher posted:

That was a good ramble.

Anyone interested in metal furniture will probably enjoy this podcast episode about this chair.

Enjoyable pod, up until the talk of these jokers claiming ownership of the design and suing people over a chair designed in the 40s by someone who’s now dead.

IP rights should not be perpetual, get hosed emeco.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Leperflesh posted:

Functional things like furniture and clothes can't be copyrighted, so the only IP protections available are patents (invent a novel way of putting together a chair?) and trademark (create a distinctive look that is not derivitive of prior art and is clearly indicitive of your brand). The latter is very very difficult, which is why for example fashion designers sometimes try to work a unique print with their trademarked logo into it, or based on an original work of art for which they have copyright, to prevent it being re-used.

For all practical concerns though, there is no functional intellectual property right to a furniture design. You can argue that perhaps there ought to be, or that people reproducing your design are "ripping you off," but this is the reality we all have lived in for a couple of centuries and it's not likely to change any time soon.

You say that but look at this in the EU: https://www.designweek.co.uk/issues/1-7-august-2016/fake-replicas-classic-furniture-designs-now-banned-new-copyright-ruling/

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sloth Life posted:

In relation to Prada Slut eames chair, what are the original classic designs that inspired the copies? What classic pieces should Joe Bloggs be looking for instead of ripoffs?

The “official” ones are manufactured by various producers just the same (Vitra for one), but they have paid for the right to produce them.

Official Eames lounge chairs in the UK start at £6000 new, which is just a preposterous price.

There are cheap unofficial copies of low quality, but also plenty of high quality ones.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Endman posted:

Don't piss in the sink jesus christ you loving grots

It’s closer after they seemingly adjusted all public urinals to suit 6 year olds.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

ADA. Dwarves have to pee too

But don’t the actual adult sized men who make up 99% of the users need to pee more?

There’s a disabled loo for people who aren’t able to use them.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SurgicalOntologist posted:

There are electronic blackout blinds on the balcony, so maybe we can deal with glare, but yeah not going to put the tv in between bed and coffee.

Do you own this place? If so, you could consider the nuclear option of demolishing the fireplace. Just putting a wood burner in a less irritating spot if you miss it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Of everything you posted, I'm a fan of these two, which came up as colors related to the ones you showed us:

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6493-ebbtide#/0063/?s=similarColors&p=PS0

https://www.behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/P480-2

Also, in regards to finishes, go with satin or eggshell on the wall. Gloss is a pain in the rear end to work with and better off used on trim. Flat will show every imperfection and just looks dull in general since it really doesn't reflect the light. Also, flat is harder to clean, if you're worried about such things.
[/

[quote="Zamboni Rodeo" post="494330563"]
Of everything you posted, I'm a fan of these two, which came up as colors related to the ones you showed us:

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6493-ebbtide#/0063/?s=similarColors&p=PS0

https://www.behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/P480-2

Also, in regards to finishes, go with satin or eggshell on the wall. Gloss is a pain in the rear end to work with and better off used on trim. Flat will show every imperfection and just looks dull in general since it really doesn't reflect the light. Also, flat is harder to clean, if you're worried about such things.

Hmm, unless you have very special needs for cleanability, anything other than matte paint on walls is way out of style - in Europe at least.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

actionjackson posted:

Laminate. Formica specifically I believe.

Just replace it. Not worth the bother to refinish, and might be cheaper to replace anyway.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I hadn't considered the possibility that the tone comes from a shellac. Once we get in two weeks or so, I'll test it with some denatured alcohol and see what we're dealing with. I'd be ecstatic if it turns out there's a more natural color hiding underneath. I'm not going to paint it regardless, so you can all rest easy.

Look into lime washing / Osmo oil finishes for both walls and trim. They could work, will definitely take away any yellow and give you many of the benefits of white paint while retaining grain.

White walls too will give you lighter and bigger feeling rooms, regardless of anything else. It’d be a very special, very light room to make dark brown a reasonable choice for a wall imo.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
For 2 hours a day I’d maybe just get a standing desk to be honest. Better for your health, no chair to worry about and you can make it pretty unobtrusive.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

PRADA SLUT posted:

That's because these chairs are all knockoffs of the Tolix Marais chair.

Real Tolix chairs are great to sit in (for a metal chair) and last like 40 years, but so many lovely knockoffs are just made to sucker people into buying the 'general design' which ends up with everyone having these poorly-made, uncomfortable seats. Even the pictures linked in the article aren't the real thing and it doesn't even mention what they're all 'supposed' to be, other than a waning allusion to 'an old French design'.

It's interesting that an original 85-year-old design of one of the most significant chairs of the century is completely unknown to people due to the proliferation of low-quality knockoffs, even though people have much more visibility due to design blogs / Pinterest / whatever. The Tolix and the Emco 1006 are probably the most unknown of these, even though people 'recognize' the general silhouette. I think knockoff Eames DSWs are more prolific recently, but most people know what they are.

Why would an “original” be any different to the clones in any functional sense? Does the extra $400 make them magically more comfy?

The clones will be functionally identical provided they’re built with an ounce of care. Ultra cheap ones may lack some finish, but unless they’re flexing about they will work the same.

It’s not like the chair was designed with any nod to comfort or based on any ergonomic research, it’s just a durable metal chair that can be mass produced cheaply. All the complaints in that article apply 100% to the original - flat base, too small etc.

I resent the fact that it’s possible to sell a $400 version at all, and that anyone is allowed to own exclusive rights over a design a dead person made 85 years ago.

The sucker is the person who spends that much on a simple dining chair.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jaded Burnout posted:

Every bed I've had in my life has had just slats with gaps for ventilation. Just regular ol' lengths of wood on a frame with a mattress on it.

My current bed is like that. Some mattress brands in the UK (memory foam etc) actually require this kind of base, or they’ll be too saggy.

Imo the base is just needed to lift your bed off the cold floor and aid ventilation - it doesn’t need to do anything else.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Boosh! posted:

Any ideas for window treatment?

Guessing a roll would be the obvious choice since drapes would bunch up / block the AC unit.

Hmm, this is just a living room right?
What are you looking for, privacy or insulation or light blocking?

It looks pretty good as is, I’d leave it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Youth Decay posted:

ah yes, a "bedroom":

Fixed your image tags.