Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Was today's Mattering the Brennan stuff then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chilichimp posted:

Is Chris Hayes good? He seems insufferable. To a lesser degree than O'Donnell, but STILL

He's basically Smug Liberal personified, so, Good and Correct, but still Punchable anyway

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

titanium posted:

Isn't this extremely similar to the motivation behind the Sharon Tate murder? Make it look like black people did it to start the race war?

It's not necessarily a false flag. Mentally ill people can switch ideologies in really sudden and surprising ways. The ideology is just a framework. Prester talks about switching from religious cultist to Ayn Rand atheist libertarian, for example. This guy might have just gotten kicked out of his roommate's right wing Nazi club and decided to Go Islamic in response.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I hope he's in public when he's fired and the cameras catch him crying so hard he looks like he's finally making good on his pledge to get waterboarded

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

empty whippet box posted:

The thing is, it's always been incredibly obvious. I understand the desire to wait for concrete proof or whatever, but back when Trump randomly and for no reason started defending Russia during the debates, I immediately looked at my wife and said 'Um...I bet he's colluding with Russia to rig the campaign or something.' It only got more obvious that exactly that had happened as time went on and it hasn't stopped getting more obvious at any point. It only comes across as an insane conspiracy theory to some because they've been successfully reached with propaganda painting it that way. At no point has it ever been plausible to assert that nothing fishy happened with Russia - not ever.

Plus, if Putin didn't influence Trump to bomb Syria, or had nothing to do with that incident at all, I'd honestly be shocked. He is in up to his eyeballs with Russia and Putin. We just don't know all the details yet. So I don't think it's crazy to wonder if such things happened, rather it is insane to *not* wonder.

It was obvious something was going on from the moment the Republican party platform was inexplicably changed to remove support for Ukraine.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

i am starting to wonder if hannity is having a glenn-beck esque mental collapse where the mask finally started wearing him and he really just needs a straitjacket and a padded cell

The world isn't that just

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Spun Dog posted:

Exactly, that was when my wife started yelling "What the gently caress?

Yup exactly -- the Ukraine giveaway was the first clear "tell."

That said, there's a big difference between that and what we got from Brennan today. There's "that looks shaky" vs "sworn testimony from an official in a position to know, making a clear statement"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

KKKLIP ART posted:

Some fun timing on the Philippines conversation leak, because Duterte just declared marshal law on a good chunk of the country

martial

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Classtoise posted:

Maybe he declared the Tekken character who is basically Bruce Lee?

Marshall Tucker Band Law

by which I mean he's setting the mountain on fire

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

empty whippet box posted:

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about Montana and Georgia. If the dems win both seats, it might finally make the republicans start actually turning on trump to try to save themselves. There are few safe seats anywhere in that case, even if the elections were held before whatever retarded bullshit trump will fill the time between now and 2018 with.

Don't be optimistic. It's way too early for that.

I'm kindof expecting some last minute vote fuckery in both races.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Melania leaves Trump because she says she knows he's a traitor and she loves America too much to stay with him

Reveals she only stayed with him this long because of his Alzheimer's

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They probably never thought for a second Trump would actually win, so they thought there was zero risk. Nobody investigates the loser.

I think they were in the "should have known" category. McConnell and Ryan had enough evidence -- hell, us posting here -- had enough evidence pre-election to strongly suspect Trump had Russian ties. But if you don't WANT to believe it, you aren't going to, and they had every reason to not want to.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

They were literally given the evidence by the Obama Administration and McConnell told Obama if he went public with it McConnell would claim he was trying to interfere in the election.

Right, and Paul Ryan is on tape talking about how Trump's paid by the Russians. But if you're in denial you're in denial.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

I mean that it's less then pretending to themselves it's not happening and more making their peace with it for political power.

I think it's some from column a, some from b, but end of the day it doesn't matter, they should have known.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

I don't think that it's his floor yet. It has seemed like forever, but it's only been four months. It's easy to see how some of his smarter loyal idiots may still be holding out hope that he just hasn't had enough time yet.

Wasn't 22% Nixon's floor?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

A good start

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jaxyon posted:

It should not be ignored that charters actually have a decent following in minority communities with concerned parents who see it as a way for their children to actually have a chance at success in areas where the schools are terrible.

I don't know what % that is but it's not just wealthy whites.

They also work really well in Scandinavian countries, but they have very strict restrictions on religious proselytizing by schools that receive the funds, which we can't do.

They aren't necessarily a bad idea in the abstract, they're just going to be implemented horribly by the Republicans because they're a stalking horse to defund public Ed generally.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The Hyperion books by Dan Simmons are great SF until the last book turns into "install space Jesus, problem solved."

The Gene Wolfe Book of the New Sun books are arguably space catholicism but they're so convoluted that he literally had to write a whole extra book to make any sense of the first four.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Party Plane Jones posted:

The immediate thing that sprung to mind when I read the words baptist-anime sci-fi was Gor, which is basically bondage-antiquity sci-fi from what I understand?

*Whip crack*

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
In Trump's America, politician breaks news

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Memnaelar posted:

WTF were they thinking dropping that statement with three eyewitnesses who they didn't have locked down?

Probably the same thing they were thinking when they decided chokeslamming a national reporter in front of a news crew the day before an election was a good idea.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
So is this the renewal of Mattering?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Evil Fluffy posted:

The House isn't going to refuse to seat a Republican winner. They'd sooner impeach and charge the entire Trump administration.

Yeah they will, especially if video comes out, definitely if he's charged with a crime.

Otherwise they're all tarred with the Party of Assault brush, and they get enough of that already from Trump. This guy isn't Trump so they have no reason to defend him. He'll step down, new election, over again.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

There Bias Two posted:

My first instinct is to think this is faked, but I just can't be sure anymore.

yeah that's me too

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Crazycryodude posted:

The more I watch that Pope-slap the more real I think it is. The robe on the close-up Pope looks exactly the same, and the table with the statue on it is behind them in both shots.

Or it's really well faked, which is probably the actual answer because I can't imagine that only we have found this gem. Would've been all over the news if it was real.

It's well done but the length of Trump's shirt cuff is way different, and the table is a different wood.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I hope they give Chuck one of those padded suits like they use to train dogs

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

mcmagic posted:

Were they? You think a guy could commit an assault and then get elected to congress the next day in the 60s or 70s?

Maybe not in the 1970s but 1870s, sure. Look up Ben "Pitchfork" Tillman. Ran on a campaign of literal lynching, and won. His nephew James Hammond Tillman literally assassinated a newspaper editor in 1903, in public in front of witnesses, and was acquitted.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 25, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ImpAtom posted:

It is remarkable how Trump seems to think everyone in the world has no memory.

He doesn't, so . . .

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Cruz is a lot smarter and a lot less feral than than Trump.

And Scrooge McDuck deserves better than Trump comparisons. Trump makes Flintheart Glomgold look good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Confounding Factor posted:

Free healthcare with ads! Do it!

Free Lasik but ad served retinas

Zucky needs to run for governor somewhere first.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Those cars are all built in the US anyway. Someone ask Mark Sanford if he supports Trump's proposed ban on sales of German car brands.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

skylined! posted:

has the guardian signaled what legal action it might take, since jacobs was at work when this happened?

You don't want to do that till the criminal case is resolved, generally.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

There Bias Two posted:

There used to be a thread where some crazy goon would chronicle his nocturnal wild pig hunts. If I remember correctly he used only a spear, and he was kind of sadistic about the whole thing.

That guy was amazing but he got kinda way into spelling out words with stacked pig corpses and stuff

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TheKingofSprings posted:

Didn't he make the national news for tracking using a drone?

I think Time did a piece.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Spaced God posted:

Meanwhile let's rerail the thread with a funny but true but also sad because it's true tweet
https://twitter.com/jschavez/status/867888819303063554

Hiring Christie would also have been a mistake

The mistake was electing Republicans

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

business hammocks posted:

Isn't the issue with this race that it shouldn't be remotely close, to the point where +10 for a republican there is a warning sign for tight races later?

Sure but have Republicans been listening to warnings lately? They only understand defeat. Trimp will view any victory as endorsement.

That said don't cry till it's actually over.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Silver lining here is if gianforte wins due to early voting we get to brand the Republicans as the Choke Slam Party and hopefully drive away people who think reporters shouldn't be assaulted, if there are any of those left.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

skylined! posted:

this is better than a quist win

Eh, arguable.

It's possible that anyone who's still voting republican is so far gone that this will just further normalize heinous poo poo and in two years Gianforte will be bragging about standing up to LIBERAL MEDIA.

Still, I honestly think it would be the smart move for Republicans in the House to refuse to seat the guy because burning one House seat doesn't matter and it would serve to norrmalize their image and give them a pretextual defense of democracy stance -- sure we support President Pussygrab but we draw the line HERE! (over there, where it doesn't matter). But they aren't smart enough for that, if that's even the smart move after all, I could be wrong, maybe everything's already too feral.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Al Borland Corp. posted:

poo poo we can probably name like, five presidents known to be rapists or proababke rapists off the top of our heads.

Bill Clinton, Grover Cleveland, Thomas Jefferson, who else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Nearly 200k votes and that margin is holding steady at 2%....hmm.

Can I blame russian hacking yet

• Locked thread