Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

moostaffa posted:

A repost is better than a complaint about the repost. It's also better than this post :/

Yeah people need to stop white noising about reposts in the thread that gets 1,100 posts a day, it's extremely obnoxious.

poo poo

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I wouldn't be happy if I were outmaneuvered by Donald John Trump on such a basic issue either

awesmoe posted:

this is absolutely 100% completely no doubt what happened

I don't trust him to actually have a political take for longer than it takes someone to tell him otherwise.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

evilweasel posted:

the media

it was part of the report that he has no idea what's in it he's just mad people don't like it

It's a terrifying way to live, if I were like that I would be mad all the time too

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Worth noting Huckabee's candidacy was insane, but just not very noticeable next to Trump's.

From 2011 (he was worse in the 2016 race):

quote:

Mike Huckabee represents something that is either tremendously encouraging or deeply disturbing, depending on your point of view: a marriage of Christian fundamentalism with economic populism. Rather than employing the patented Bush-Rove tactic of using abortion and gay rights to hoodwink low-income Christians into supporting patrician, pro-corporate policies, Huckabee is a bigger-government Republican who emphasizes prison reform and poverty relief. In the world of GOP politics, he represents something entirely new — a cross between John Edwards and Jerry Falwell, an ordained Southern Baptist preacher who actually seems to give a poo poo about the working poor.

Taibblog: Matt Taibbi on Politics and the Economy

"But Huckabee is also something else: full-blown nuts, a Christian goofball of the highest order. He believes the Earth may be only 6,000 years old, angrily rejects the evidence that human beings evolved from "primates" and thinks America wouldn't need so much Mexican labor if we allowed every aborted fetus to grow up and enter the workforce. To top it off, Huckabee also left behind a record of ethical missteps in the swamp of Arkansas politics that make White­water seem like a jaywalking ticket.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/my-favorite-nut-job-20110325

Hmm sounds kinda familiar

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

winterwerefox posted:

Unrelated to anything, but i hate this episode so much. Grew up in the middle of nowhere with a VCR and no reception. This was one of the few Star Trek tapes i had. I've seen it soo many times.

It's really really bad yes

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

evilweasel posted:

finally conservatives are starting to come around to the Evilweasel Plan, resettling Real Americans in Oklahoma where they can practice their traditional culture without interference and without holding the more recent arrivals back

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/opinion/only-mass-deportation-can-save-america.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=0

This is the op-ed that made me decide to stop paying NYT every month, by the way.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Can't you get in trouble for lying this much as a lawyer? We had a discussion about it the other day. Lawyers can't make knowingly false declarative statements like that and he said the President is under investigation, he's not under investigation, and now he doesn't know that he's under investigation.

We know from looking at Sekulow's past work that he's a complete loving hack, exactly the sort of person that the Trump administration attracts, and just about the only people who will work for Trump at this point.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wow this thread disintegrates quickly when there's no news

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Would it be possible for them to pass an "Oops we goofed and now everyone hates us" bill where they could take out at least some of the most horrifying stuff if the AHCA passes or is there no real way out of this?

They're about to swallow their own poison pill. Committing all the way to such a horrible bill is unprecedented, it's a chamber full of guys that have either been hotboxing their own farts or see no choice but to keep huffing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

dont even fink about it posted:

This is the op-ed that made me decide to stop paying NYT every month, by the way.

Also guys, when I actually read past the first paragraph of this Bret Stephens op-ed I found out I'm an idiot

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Whatever, I'm not that beaten up about Another loving Centrist losing a House race in Georgia.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"We can get suburban Republicans to flip and just run on being Not-Trumpists" is exactly the strategy that caused Hillary to blow the easiest shoe-in humanly loving imaginable, so it's no real shocker that it worked so well for Ossoff here.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The House will not flip if the Democrats run John Ossoffs everywhere.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

South Carolina?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_prNM4QxF8E

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

https://twitter.com/johnjcook/status/877731582211088384

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/877742750418038784

No need to pass any laws restricting press freedom, a White House had a way of shutting that whole thing down.

How long until journalists start pulling recording stunts and solidarity sit-outs?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

zenguitarman posted:

The dates on these contradicting tweets are getting closer and closer together until we reach some sort of Trump singularity.

Actually he's already diametrically contradicted himself from one day to the very next on several occasions.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Potential BFF posted:

A war with Iran would be such a profound clusterfuck that a sick little piece of my mind is intrigued at the prospect. The first antiship missile slamming into an oil tanker and the subsequent $10/gal gas would be a hell of a thing to behold.

Just to be clear: HOLY gently caress DON'T GO TO WAR WITH IRAN

Well, if you want to see new ground broken in low approval ratings, $10/gallon for gas would do it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pretty much every election after roughly World War II has been won by the more charismatic candidate regardless of politics, it's the minimum and possibly only thing a leader needs to have to make it there.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

OddObserver posted:

You're likely reading way too much on this. That's just how corrupt Russia is (more famous example: Putin's press secretary was noticed wearing a watch costing $620,000 --- 4 of his yearly salaries), and Trump properties are likely full of the sort of tasteless gaudy junk that a corrupt apparatchik in post-Soviet space would buy. The salaries are negligible source of income, the bribes and kickbacks are the bulk.

This is generally how most nation-states outside the U.S. work. It's a miracle we've lasted this long.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

i am harry posted:

The bribes and kickbacks exist here too, they're just clad in the flammable external aesthetic of capitalism.

Well sure but most American cops don't operate on receiving a kickback in exchange for not handing out a frivolous citation, you are allowed to elect new people from different parties, and dissenters aren't shot down like animals in the street.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I see WTF Just Happened Today has some competition.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's become obvious over several occasions that McCain has become a senile rubber stamp for the party before country wing, coming in at about 3/5 Strom Thurmonds. His past is not in question, just his dignity.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

evilweasel posted:

i dont get your odd beef with pelosi here it seems really stupid

Some Iagos in the Democratic caucus want her out so she is evil now

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Press conferences are no longer public and the White House is now making up stories to gaslight everyone in the hopes that the lack of visibility via lack of video tape will cover their asses.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/26/republicans-obamacare-repeal-votes-239984

quote:

Republicans in the White House and in Congress were pleasantly surprised that the bill included more savings than they expected — and are trying to figure out if they can dole it out for votes.

The Senate has about $188 billion to play with.

"Think of the money we can save the American people by throwing everyone off insurance. That we will spend on Senate pork barrel projects to get them to pass it."

The Zero Sum Death Panel bill.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...m=.2fd6ca76de6e

quote:

Plenty of other news is vying for attention. President Trump spent Monday morning venting on Twitter about how President Barack Obama did “NOTHING about Russia” and its election meddling — despite Trump’s frequent claims that the whole Russia controversy is “fake news” and a Democratic Party “hoax.” The Supreme Court has agreed to rule on Trump’s travel ban, which lower courts have deemed unconstitutional; and to decide whether business owners who claim religious objections to same-sex marriage can refuse to provide goods or services for gay couples’ weddings.

Useful comparison by Never-Trumper Bruce Bartlett:

quote:

Anyone who ever read Sinclair Lewis’ “It Can’t Happen Here,” which imagined a fascist dictator taking power in 1930s America, recognizes that Trump is the real-life embodiment of Senator Buzz Windrip—a know-nothing populist who becomes president by promising something for everyone, with no clue or concern for how to actually accomplish it. Windrip was “vulgar, almost illiterate, a public liar easily detected, and in his ‘ideas’ almost idiotic,” Lewis wrote. “Certainly there was nothing exhilarating in the actual words of his speeches, nor anything convincing in his philosophy. His political platforms were only the wings of a windmill.”

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/24/intellectual-conservatives-lost-republican-trump-215259

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

How do you even make a bill that is both not evil enough and too evil. How do you gently caress that up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I guess in any other lifetime/dimension I would be alarmed when morning talk show hosts write an op-ed that dunks on the President of the United States' mental health and intellect, but now it gets an eyebrow raise and that's about it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Trump's impeachment, which while presently impossible (duh), is still possible down the road. However, at this rate, an impeachment would be roughly as catastrophic for Trump and the Republicans as four years of a Trump presidency, so I'm not sure why everyone even in this thread is fighting on the impeachment hill. I do expect better of this thread than to endlessly debate impeachment, which is really only being raised as a publicity stunt by House Democrats and certain media outlets.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember when every now and then Obama would venture outside the White House and go to 5 guys or Panera Bread or some poo poo? Mingle with the commoners for a bit?

Trump would never consider doing anything like that. Ever.

There is a significant chance he would have an incredibly ugly social encounter caught on camera.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hastings posted:

I understand this on a superficial level, but then I hit a wall where it does not compute. I just do not understand the logic because it is the least logical, efficient thing I could think of. It makes no sense to cut these small projects when so much of the excess money is in defense.

Trump has pledged himself to massive defense spending in order to make our military great again.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SocketWrench posted:

Given Trump's history of being jilted and a petty rear end in a top hat, if he keeps dropping and gets kicked out or leaves on the shitties ratings if he'll go into "watch the world burn" mode

I have full confidence that Donald Trump is making absolutely no important decisions at this point. You know our current Syria strategy (essentially the Obama strategy)? There have been zero cabinet meetings on that topic at the White House. None.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/01/...ctionfront&_r=0

quote:

The Tabqa operation was proposed in mid-March to Lt. Gen. Stephen Townsend, the commander of the American-led task force that is battling the Islamic State, by the top commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, the combination of Syrian Kurds and Arab fighters who would provide the ground troops for the battle. It was approved without a single White House meeting.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

donoteat posted:

Asbury Park is pretty great if you like ruins on your vacations.

Batman villains in need of hideouts are flocking to it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder what would happen to Russia if Putin dropped dead. Would the whole house of cards fall apart?

There will be some confusion in the immediate term about who the new kingpin is, but there will be a kingpin.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

How could you not hire hookers to piss on you in a room like this.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Anyone worried about certain outlets becoming blinkered state propaganda is about 20 years late to that problem.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I guess if they didn't literally take all his phones from him six months ago, they never will.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Data Graham posted:

So thread, what's the best riposte to have in my back pocket to use against someone who thinks

means "Trump is a huge ally to gays, he's the best president ever for LGBTs as a matter of fact" ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xyvOCNCXdU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have to admit, I admire her spirit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

He could probably lose his hard liners and go towards ACA fixing, while gaining his moderates and a few blue dogs. That might get a pass, but I have no idea how it passes the house after that.

Any D senator who votes with the Republicans on anything, let alone the worst health care bill ever conceived, may as well blow their brains out right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

As will any sane member of the GOP at this point. I wonder if this could cause a big fracture of politicians vs party.

Or at least it will in my fanfiction.

He's not even a sitting congressman, who gives a poo poo

• Locked thread