Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Strobe posted:

To touch on this: the most dangerous thing on the field is the one that hasn't moved yet. If you have a shot at two equally killable things, but one has moved that round and the other has not, kill the one that hasn't moved yet. That's damage that you're suddenly not taking, whereas the one that's already moved has already done all its damage for that turn.

Is there anywhere on the HUD that keeps note of this? I saw the phase marker up top but there doesn't seem to be anything indicating vehicles' default phase or who's gone. Someone delays their action or the round rolls over, and it can be easy to lose track.

As someone who knows the general idea of Battletech from watching some MWO streams but never played, there's an awful lot of information to parse. I'm sure it'll all be intuitive eventually definitely not right away, and my main issue is figuring out what's a good gamble. Can I alpha strike that guy, when is a punch better than the sum of the ranged weapons I could use, stuff like that when my intuition is trying to treat it like just an HP bar. So far my most memorable moment was my Spider DFA-ing the last tank in the "three years later" mission and blowing both his legs off. As the victory screen popped up I thought I'd lost the whole mech for a moment there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

poo poo, was there a generator at the end of the mission too?

Yup.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Squiggle posted:

Did you catch the little chevrons underneath each of the phase markers at the top?

In this picture, we're in the 3rd phase and one of my guys (white) and two of the enemies (red) have already gone, and are darkened/faded to show it. You can see brighter red chevrons on the phase 2, indicating there are two more enemies going in the next round but none of mine...but they're also faded out since they're in a different phase, and it can be a little hard to tell that they're still bright red.

But that actually shouldn't matter, now that I think about it - if they're in the phases to the right of current, they have yet to go - if they're in the phases to the left, they're already done.
You can click each chevron and it will take the camera to the unit.

Edit: Kinda cool - if you hover over "Reserve" it will shift the chevrons over to show which round those units will come up again in.

Edit 2: Oh, and over each visible unit, friendly or foe, is a number that should tell you which round it's set to go in and if it's already gone this round (based on highlighting):

Kind of across the field you can see the various units with their respective phase indicators. Again in round 3, the enemy unit that hasn't gone yet (far right) has a big red backsplash on the number, where the one that has (far left) doesn't. I think these may be a bit too faded out to see easily, but once you know to look for them they're alright.

I had not noticed any of that, or at least hadn't parsed it correctly. Thanks!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Okay, so Dekker loving eating it seems to be the norm. Thought I'd be a sneak thief and smuggle him around one of the mesas in three years later so I could take out the generator. That didn't work.

It worked for me, but only because I jumped Glitch on top of a mountain thinking "hurr she can shoot everyone from there" without considering that everyone could shoot back. Surprised she made it back alive.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I named my mercs MecCOM after my XCOM Gian robot campaign, even found a logo with what looks like an XCOM shield, what's you guys name your squads?

I generally have two video game avatars that I recycle (one when the character is "me" like most MMOs, one when it's its own character like this game or Mass Effect) so call-sign Firebrand is commanding Blazing Squadron.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Am I bad person for wanting to restart the campaign and suffer through the whole starter missions because I noticed a typo in my call-sign?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Then again, there are also moments where the camera looks at a boulder for eight seconds until a mech backs its rear end directly into the camera. Then the game looks even better.

We need a mod to add beeping.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is poptarting (shooting mid jump before landing back behind cover) possible in here, or is that just a MWO thing?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Just finished the moon mission. Everyone was pretty heavily damaged, Shadowcat lost an arm (fortunately nothing interesting in it), and my main character's in the medbay for a bit, but otherwise all right. Also I couldn't try to precision strike the main mech for salvage, after my Shadowcat and hero fell over I just needed to end it before she could get stepped on.

Do we know the baseline heat dissipation for mechs without any heat sinks?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Aww, on the prison mission I had to pick between 3 salvage for a Jaeger or a Trebuchet. Went with the Jaeger, and got dealt TWO of the Treb parts in the random deal. So close.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think I know what performance changes NVidia made in their driver. When I start of the game now my fan goes into overdrive, sounds like a jet engine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Gonna need an informal poll here guys. Lurms or LRMs? Because I've always called them LRMs and I don't think I've ever heard anyone call them anything else. And now I'm curious.

Are PPCs pronounced letter by letter or do you call them like peepecks or something? I like that better than lurms.

Jif

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

My mechwarriors all just got shot in the head five times in a row between three of them. We're on mountains and they're in valleys.

Why can't I hire the clearly superior trash pirates from Garbage Planet?

I ended a mission recently with two of my mechs in pristine condition except for their heads. RIP Medusa and RIP PC seeing the outside of a medbay any time this year.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

That centurion is currently doing me sterling service as Glitch's personal LRM boat

Same here. Got 3 LRM10s in there and keeping an eye out for bigger ones.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm going to have to give this a try. My experience with LRMs has been pretty middling but it's probably because I'm using LRM5 typically.

I got hosed in the first Prison attempt but it gave me a chance to learn about positioning and not just going charging in with all four mechs in one spot.

Worked a lot better on my second try when I setup 3 mechs to focus down a single target and then delayed a Locust with LRMs to turn 1; hop up onto a wall, fire all the LRMs into a mediums backside, turn 4 hop back away and fire a few more over the wall for good measure.

I'm not sure how it compares to other options, it doesn't feel punchy even though the total damage is good. Main things to note for LRMs:
--all use the same ammo
--bigger ones just fire more shots, not more damage per shot
--The ++ versions with damage up increase damage by two per shot when base damage is 4. Those things are a 50% damage increase.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Can someone make a #merclife smilie?

Given people's battle reports, wouldn't that be :commissar:?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Based on a reddit post about what configuration values affect animation speeds and accels, I decided I didn't want to edit all those loving files to find a nice value.

So I wrote a lovely little app in an hour to do it for me.

Backup your BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\movement folder in your Battletech directory first, then run totally not a virus dot exe from the zip file, enter a speed multiplier, click Update, and voila, next time you enter a mission the animations will be sped (or slowed, you madman) by that much.

(edit) blah blah blah I don't guarantee it won't burn down your internet blah MIT license blah. But it worked a treat for me and a mate.

Even if it does burn down computers, you're doing the Lord's work in the attempt.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Coldforge posted:

Glitch is the best; Dekker always dies.

So it goes.

Dekker hasn't died on me yet, but I'm definitely naming the medbay in his honor. I can come back from a mission with pristine mechs and he's still spending at least a month in there because a machinegun bullet pinged off the head and he had a panic attack.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I get a bit of bank I upgrade something on the ship forgetting to check how much it costs. "Medbay expansion only gives 1 more healing? Eh, someone's always in there anyway. Hey where'd my money go?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Good lord LRM carriers are brutal!

I encountered an SRM one that had ten SRM6es. I could have gone to make a sandwich while it shot my guy up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

well, I figured out why I was having a hard time: I wasn't using Morale like it was candy

Yeah, it comes in quick. Great for high-level tactician, who gets a bonus to targeted strikes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Apparently if you press F6 while you have the barracks open all of your warriors will receive a wound. :allears:

Confirmed it's not some debug-only thing. Commander stays unhurt, everyone else goes to 15 days though their "healthy" graphic stays the same.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I've gotten a couple of Dragons, and I'm not sure what to do with them. They seem comparable to the Shadow Hawk (which I tend to build punchy/SRM). 5 more tons and space for another short weapon, but down a weight class and that's a liability when I'm mostly still facing mediums. Is that a fair assessment or am I missing some niche?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Remove pause tweak

The pointless delays between things was put in on purpose by the developers (god knows why), but it’s a 30 second fix to remove. It both speeds up the game massively and makes for a smoother experience:

I know why, does that make me God?

It's to give a chance for audio clips in response to an action. They don't always go off, but you can just imagine "pause for one-liner" to be in the animation script.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

SRM carriers crack me up. "Surely he must be out of rockets now. He's been firing for full seconds. Nope, still more rockets. It's like a clown car for explosions."

I should just edit the files to rename them Getasnack Tanks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That was a fight that went horribly wrong. My guys kept getting knocked over and caught on the back foot, we managed to handle a lance of heavies while some big tanks trundled around trying to find a vantage point. Two of my squad died and as my PC went to face-off with the last mech an SRM carrier found its way up and blew off Glitch's weapons. She proceeded to run her popsicle over and stomp all the tanks to death, while my PC and the mech brawled it out among the rough terrain and dust clouds.

Came out of the fight with two dead guys I didn't really care about, an Orion, and a new hire with the callsign Muffintop, so I'm calling it a win.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, this is called "Batchal" (which I believe is short for "Battle Challenge"). The Clans come from a small pocket of space very sparse on resources, so one thing that happened with their silly warrior society is an emphasis was placed on reducing wastage. So when a Clan decides another Clan has what is rightfully theirs, they load up a bunch of poo poo, pay the thing they want a visit and declare "I am Star Colonel SoAndSo, of Clan Whatever. I bring with me XYZ forces, and I declare a trial of possession on your poo poo. With what forces will you defend yourself?" and the defending Clan will dutifully and willingly tell their attackers exactly what they plan to defend their poo poo with (which doesn't even have to be everything they have) and even get to stipulate where the fight will take place (since fighting AT the poo poo being fought over might break something valuable). The attacker, now knowing what it is up against, will then break up into its sub groups and each will start bidding exactly how little combat forces they need to defeat the defenders. Whatever sub group bids the smallest amount gets the honor and glory of performing the attack. If they gently caress up and start losing, they get the option of calling in forces equal to the second lowest bid to help ensure they succeed (at a cost of honor/glory, but better a slightly stained victory than a defeat).

I heard of one from the books or something that came down to a coin toss. The commander who didn't really want to do it called edge with the excuse of "think of the glory if I won."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

There's no rules difference for LoS, projectiles will go through hills and stuff. If a shot is partially blocked you just get a penalty to hit on it.

It's just that the game is inconsistent about what blocks LoS, or about animating the shots once it's determined it.

Speaking of which, I know when a targeting line is interrupted by an eye the targeted unit is in "cover" but what are the mechanics of that? The same 25% damage reduction as cover granted by forests?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

My fighting strategy has evolved from "whittle them down, see what we can salvage" to "there are eight of them surrounding us! Shoot the core! Shoot all the cores!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I've found one guy who seems to have a male Glitch voice. Very similar lines, though I haven't heard her real gems yet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

I actually hate playing my main character because it's one less voice I can hear.

I was big on my PC at the beginning but really there's nothing special about her, just one more meatstick. May as well run other folks if they got the skillz.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Run a funding-focused mission to hold off the banks? Incap a Grasshopper and can only take one piece.

"Wow, default for this mission is 4/15 salvage and max is huge!" it's three junk mechs and some turrets.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem with playing pure stock is all the ammo in the dumbest possible places

Where should one keep ammo? Every place seems like a bad place.

Alternate option: intentionally put a gun's ammo right next to other guns in the opposite arm. Make every mechanical engineer within 5 miles start spontaneously crying.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Xarbala posted:

He really, really doesn't know does he

I didn't either, until I just looked it up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also with all the crap in Hollywood these days and even Pacific Rim being a thing, why the hell has there not been a good Mechwarrior movie yet?

I'm thinking some cross between Pacific Rim, Alien (the ship aesthetic, not the xenos), and Mad Max

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

There's not some way I'm missing to check contracts in adjacent systems other than if they pay for travel, is there? The flighht time from the jumpship gets a bit frustrating when the palce is empty.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Arrath posted:

Nope, there isn't. Just taking missions with travel contracts is the best way to insure work at the other end. Though sometimes planets with 2 travel contracts when you're somewhere else will have nothing once you get there and do the first job. :argh:

Dang. I was earning my way to the system for my next story mission, so travel contracts wasn't an option, they all want to send me back to Weldry.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Grave Robbing didn't seem like that bad of a mission to me. Popping the tanks gives massive morale, so it just takes good use of Vigilance on your main targeted character. I've been faffing about the place, though (not deliberately lingering, but not rushing the story if I've got good contracts on the way), so I can see it being frustrating for people who can't focus down a tank or turret as easily.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TMMadman posted:

I had some weird crash that kept happening when trying to start the game until I restarted my computer.

Then the same thing happened the next day but the game started after I closed Firefox.

I think it's some sort of memory issue.

Edit - it was weird because the first day was before the patch and after I had played the game the previous day and then yesterday all I did was close Firefox and was able to start the game.

If you have an NVidia 960/70 or 1060/70, the latest driver is glitchy. Lots of folks have reported it suddenly not registering and forcing a reinstall. Reported fixes are downloading/installing directly from Nvidia rather than through GeForce Experience (currently trying this), or rolling back to a previous driver version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Anyone else aware of a recent problem where the game crashes on startup?

If you're running a GTX --60 or --70, and when you try to run anything else after it happens you get errors like "Direct3D not installed" it's an issue with NVidia's latest driver.