Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So... Watching those Cohh streams looks really interesting, though I wonder if my lack of lore background would leave me confused with game mechanics stuff.

Also... what roles are Spiders supposed to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Anyone do something fun with small lasers? Best I could think of was for locust loadout, instead of MGs, but I am not good enough to use that mech and not have to melted down.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Do small lasers trigger on DFA?

(Also the plot mission after the one that gives you Argo really kicked my rear end. Hard to concentrate fire power with that terrain, and I probably gave up too much of it to get that LRM Griffin, too. Probably should do some non-plot 2.5 or something, bet they're easier than the plot 2-skull).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

I like my Dragon, and until you hit heavies, the Shadowhawk is the right combo of speedy and beefy to tide you over.

What does your punchbot shadowhawk look like? I've got a spare one, but I am not sure I am building it sufficiently committed to that role.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Got trolled by a mission description. It mentions heavy stuff, so I went all in on salvage. The first target was a dual-AC/20 tank, which is impressive enough, so I was expecting something juicy for reinforcements.

3 locusts and a Griffin.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Deuce posted:

So, yes?

Don't take this mission because my mechs can't possibly catch up?

The one map I played it on it was possible to intercept them by heading towards their destination rather than starting position from the outset...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Man, just ran into a Banshee 3E, and the thing isn't very impressive. 95T, and it's wielding... a PPC, AC/5, and a small laser?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

The trick to banshees is to not worry about surgically killing the pilot, because they are bad.

Now when that King Crab comes along, you treat it like a goddamn baby while carefully knocking it down and carving up its side torsos.

Yeah, but this mission was 2 banshees, a dragon, and a wolverine. And I already have a wolverine in stock.

Edit: 1 ballistic, 2 energy, 4 support slots? I guess the thing may be somewhat usable with an AC/20....
Edit #2: haha, no, that with some medium and light lasers can't fit jump jets without further armoring it down..

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 1, 2018

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Well, this was very lucky for me, I think that pilot has been skipping their guts points:

... was pretty hard to be careful with this thing, it's pretty scary. As are Stalkers.
(And the other Banshee variant was a lot more intimidating with its dual-PPC until it
overheated and blew up its somewhat damaged arm and shoulder).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arrath posted:

Awesome, thanks. I guess the followup question is the Guts 6 skill for +15 overheat threshold for Overheat, IE 115 capacity, or +15 to the Critical Shutdown point?

I think it's +15 for the start of bad stuff threshold, e.g. the marker on the heat bar --- so you can get closer to the right end of the bar without taking damage.
No idea if absolute values change, wish it showed numbers :(

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

No lie, I hired a generic who was a 2/2/2/8 and never regretted it. Put them in your missile boat and they'll outpace everyone in a hurry since it's so cheap to get them up to a respectable 4/4/4/[whatever their stupid-high tactics score is]

Tactics is the best tree, fite me. Being able to delay, let the enemy advance on you, then attack them twice with most of your forces is great.

Plus the called shot bonus. And indirect penalty reduction. And the minimal range reduction....

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arrath posted:

I must be broken, I'm running very light on energy weapons, usually I pack an AC/5 or /10 and a bevvy of SRMs on Mechs that aren't designated LRM throwers.

Though I'm rolling in improved ACs and SRM packs, aint found poo poo for even + MLas'.

The heat output on the Large Lasers and PPCs makes them a tough fit, but mediums and smalls are very efficient, and add up to a lot on something like the disco Hunchback or the Grasshopper.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I don't think limits for players are enough. Mission load outs & economics have to be different, too. A single light isn't going be much fun when you're facing an assault lance backed up by a full lance of 80t tanks.
(Maybe equal weight in lights would be fun, though)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kenshin posted:

Bleh.

I like the unpredictability. Being able to adjust mid-battle to something I didn't expect adds a much-needed challenge to the game.

I think there may be a meaningful difference between unpredictability mid-battle and unpredictability altogether. Like if you come in expecting mediums, you get mediums, and then suddenly heavies as reinforcements, there may be choices to make, depending on circumstances. If you expect mediums, and immediately 8 assaults, about the only choice is whether to do immediate withdrawal or reload... And with the game's loafing times, that's just wasting player's time.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Fraction Jackson posted:

I'm not sure if completely random loadouts would be the greatest move, but adding some of the common variants that aren't in the game yet would be nice, and maybe coming up with a few extra based on what seem like sensible field refits couldn't hurt either. Stuff like the WVR-6M, SHD-2K, TBT-5J/-5S/-7K, CN9-AH, HBK-4N/4J/4H/4SP, VND-1AA (even if it's extra bad)...all variants of stuff already in the game, and that's just mediums. You could probably squeeze another 30 or so options just adding existing canon variants of stuff already in the game. Some good, some bad, some real bad, but all of them give different looks and would greatly increase the variety in the OPFORs.

That would probably require a tweak to salvage mechanics of some sort, to avoid players ending up with 2/3rds of 10 different variants of the same frame.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Xotl posted:

When we made the master quirk list for the Battlemech Manual, we tried to slip in "Boombox" for the Yeoman but it was caught in editing.

Don't you already have way too much trouble with Macross licensing?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Eldragon posted:

I've done maybe 6 flashpoints; still have not seen a Hatchetman, except for the one that lets you borrow one for a single mission. Am I missing something on where to get one?

I've ran into plenty hatchetmen, but no flashpoints (maybe because campaign?)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

the problem remains that a few tons here or there is more of a big deal at the bottom of the tonnage scale than at the top. an optimized cent/forcer/hunch is a significantly better mech than a vindicator, while the difference between 65-80t mechs with the same walkspeed is less noticeable.

45t and 60t are two of the worst weights in the game. even under weight limits, you're best off avoiding those weights whenever possible.

Are you sure you're not forgetting the 40t Cicadas?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

Fuckers releasing both Warcrimes and Stellaris DLC on the same day. Woe is me.

Hmm, on that note Stellaris seems to be missing mechs.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

anakha posted:

I played the gently caress out of Front Mission 3 back in the day and that game owned. Missiles and shotguns (the FM equivalent of the LBX) were the best weapons to use.

Front Mission 3 was the best on account of being able to steal other people's mechs. (I think there was even a skill to punch people out of their cockpits?)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Warhammer and Marauder are in the free update!

Edit: also mod support.

DLC is 8 mechs, one new, of the 7 I've only seen the assassin listed. You folks could probably recognize the rest based on the trailer...

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 19, 2019

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
39th seconds in the trailer is interesting (lists some of the added weapon types)

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 19, 2019

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
They're probably not optimal, but I like LL and AC5 for range flexibility.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So what's the Battletech equivalent on the Tachanka-Technical line? Something like an SRM carrier on a trunk chassis so.. Katyusha?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

John Charity Spring posted:

Cloaked units can't be targeted by weapons but they can still be sensor-locked.

FWIW I did that flashpoint at the weekend and didn't have trouble with it, but I don't know. I guess it could go badly wrong in some circumstances.

Sensor locking actually makes ECM sort of counter productive, since then you suddenly have 4 LRM turrets and some number of Trebuchets and LRM carriers all going after the one mech they see rather than spreading damage around.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The Catapult's melee attack animation is basically a headbutt... well, missile-pod-butt, really.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I put COIL-L on the Phoenix hawk before realizing it doesn't work on flying, but haven't found a better place for it yet. It's a lot of fun, regardless, but I should probably place it on something with less jump jets and more heat sinks.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
If COIL-L does stack with the pilot skill pip, I am sort of contemplating putting it on a warhammer and seeing if it stacks with the 20% energy bonus.
It'll realistically only get 3 pips, but 3 pips + 20%...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

anakha posted:

Coil-L gives you 35 damage per pip, so when I tested this with an Assassin, I was getting 140 damage per hit since i was able to get 4 pips while walking.

If you can manage 3 pips on the Warhammer, a Coil-L hit gives you 126 damage per hit. It's not bad, but the 70 heat might force you to stuff heat sinks in at the expense of additional weaponry.

Yep. And luckily I also got a -heat Snubby PPC++, so... It can't consistently get 3 pips, though, much like the Phoenix Hawk can't consistently get 4.... but it was beginning to feel a bit flimsy, and the Assassin would be flimsier, still, even if I do wish I went that way the game throws a pesky light in my direction.

Speaking of which, flashpoint campaign, 2 fleas, a locust and a Panther aren't much of a hunter-killer lance even if FLE-4's are impressively armed for their mass.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I used a Hunchy G, and I had enough morale to precision-shoot him into CT with an AC/20 twice in a row...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Just got the bullshark, and, uhm, wow. Probably gonna distribute some of those good guns elsewhere, it doesn't need that many... I really should have written down where I saw LBX and UAC guns for sale, too. Not that I ever saw anything bigger than a UAC/2.

Well, got a few snubby's, and I like that gun, so I guess I am happy?

Also I guess that's our preview of clan loadouts?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

I have two marauders with three headcappers between them. It's hilarious.

Does the -10% damage taken bonus stack?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... And I was thinking I needed a good hole puncher to put on the marauder, and the nearest former star-league store just happened to have a Gauss rifle...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Welp, there goes the NARC++ and Snub Nose ++ on my Orion.

Here's a tip for the Braying of the Hounds now - wait until you have four assaults; the star rating is lying. They don't have one LRM boat stalker - they have eight lrm boats and assaults and also a stalker. Kell's just lying to you now about the important part lol

The last part of that also gets half a star bump and forces 2 mechs into your party.

... Oh, and I just bought 2/3rds of the fancy bullshark (-MAZ, not -M3) in the Magistracy stores...

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
... and the two mechs forced don't have the greatest heat management, and have pilots without coolant vent.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 1, 2019

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There should be a blue flashpoint marker somewhere in the non-affiliated area, close to where the previous ones were. It may be a bit hard to see due to the color. It doesn't have an expiration, and, well, it's 5 star, so plenty of prep time may be in order.

(I am way too unready to take it).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
A +20 DMG/-3T UAC/20++ in a rural Arano planet of all things (Qalzi)...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Is there an easy way to tweak faction reputation? I fought the Davions for awhile before realizing I'd want to ally with them for those UACs and frankly grinding low-skull victories for max rep isn't worth my time and I'm very willing to cheat about it. I'd almost want an autoresolve function for some things.

Flashpoints aren't rep-locked (or at least not as much?), which can help if the right ones are available.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Ugh, had the last stage of the heavy metal mini-campaign disappear (and right when I almost felt ready).
... And I am pretty sure it didn't list expiration?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

sean10mm posted:

It's hidden under a black market icon towards the bottom of the map. Click on the systems around the bottom and it will pop up.

Pirates hate me, and I didn't have 2.5 million I felt like spending, so it's not the problem for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Ravens do start showing up after you do the flashpoint as well.