Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm having a bit of a difficult time wrapping my head around progression of mechs. And, I suppose, what each weapon category is designed for. Does anyone have a good writeup that talks about weapon and mech design philosophy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

A bunch of good advice, lots of it confirming my first impressions.

I guess where I am at is that I haven't really settled on a strategy. I'm only 3 missions into the campaign, so my mech pool isn't very broad. My current lance seems really good at generating tons of salvage, but things can get dicey quick.

The tonnage borders I didn't really get until one of my pilots got geeked in a Dragon. Where I am at I usually run one heavy, two medium, and one light (An FS9-H, loaded with MG/ML and jump jets). My heavy is a TDR-5SS loaded with ML and armor. The mediums are my flex picks, though I usually don't leave the barn without a SDH-2D that I have loaded with SRMs and armor.

I am convinced though that jump jets are king. The ability to stack evasion even on heavily armored mechs for a few points of heat saves me tons of repair bills. I need to sit down and put together an AC/20 carrier that isn't a Hunchback. The stock one is too slow for my liking. I guess I like speed?

edit: I know the story and writing isn't exactly a shining example of games as art, but an exchange between the commander and a nearly-dead MechWarrior who has been laid up in bed for three months is pretty :3:

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 26, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

The good skill combos atm:
Guts 1 / Tactics 2 (general use)
Guts 2 / Pilot 1 (brawlers and skirmishers)
Guts 1 / Gunnery 2 (AC20 mediums and LRM builds only)

Echoing/elaborating on what was said earlier, mech progression is generally linear (bigger is better), with the following caveats:
- All mechs at the bottom of their respective weight class are bad compared to their near peers, with the exception of the AWS-8T which is okay.
- The Crab, Hatchetman, Trebuchet, and Banshees all have less available pod space than their peers, sometimes combined with unfortunate hardpoints, and as a result range from bad to awful.
- Missiles > Energy > Ballistics, broadly speaking, so Energy+Ballistic mechs are at the lower rungs of the totem pole for their weight.

I was looking up this post tonight for skill recommendations, and I realized I wanted to ask about the Missiles > Energy > Ballistics thing. Based on what I've sussed out, missiles put out great damage + stability, but their weakness is that they don't really "focus fire" that well. On the other hand, lasers do their thing to a single part, but you get less total damage ton for ton (and no stability loss). Ballistics on the other hand trade even more tonnage problem for a lower heat profile than lasers and stability damage.

I have noticed it seems like my SRM Thunderbolt does more work than my disco laser Thunderbolt, though. So I guess I should learn to love the rocket spam. (My 2xLRM20 Catapult has already convinced me of this, don't worry.)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Taerkar posted:

Anyone who says that punchbotting is the wrong tactic is a bad person.

Other mechs are very effective heat sinks.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jabor posted:

No, that's RT in a nutshell.

To give an example, the overall design and "balancing" (I use the term in the loosest possible sense) is done by someone who thinks that being able to consistently run (at sprint speed) behind an enemy and punch them in the back armour regardless of facing is an improvement on how melee works in the vanilla game. It's coming from the mindset of "more = better", throwing in everything from the tabletop game they can think of, without much attention paid to whether it all actually works together to form a coherent experience.

I mean, it wouldn't hurt to have a mechanic that allowed you to reposition in melee if you have a given stat for it (give it to Ace Pilot maybe?). But I'm positive this isn't how RT does it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Wasted a ton of ammo taking out the defenders and turrets for the base I was supposed to capture, and didn't have much left for the reinforcements. Game proceeds to drop two Panthers on top of this rock spire and two more lights for harassment, and thus began the worlds most idiotic game of King of the Hill as the two lances flailed impotently at each other with overheated lasers, machine guns, and fists.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

I built something fun out of an Assassin for some of the Urban Flashpoints that have a 55t/200t drop limit.
Just a single SL, max jump jets and armor, and two meelee++ arm mods. LOL it jumps across half the map and punches for 90 DMG + 50 STB.
It's not super great, but the low drop limit missions usually have trash opfor, so....

A bit late to this party, but I've been really toying with this idea. Every time I scroll past my Assassin (which lost its COIL-L to a bad shot), I think about trying to turn it into One Punch 'Mech.

Right now I have a Wolverine filling this roll, with max armor, jumpjets, 3xSRM6, and every arm and leg mod I can cram into it. It pretty much Team Rocket's any mech in its weight class or below. Close in with jumpjets, alpha the SRMs, then run up and punch them to loving moon.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

You know, the Awesome might be a sack of poo poo, but it's my sack of poo poo now, after seeing it pop up in the Joint Venture flashpoint and deciding it was time to get me an assault mech in this particular career game. I probably took a bit more damage than I should have stripping the thing of weapons and finally killing the pilot, but picking the whole thing up after one deployment was very satisfying.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

If you can't do some dirty deeds sometimes are you even really a mercenary? :smuggo:

This is really what I wish the factions would understand. I'm going where the money is. No point getting your panties bunched because I'm doing my job. Put up or shut up. :dukedog:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

El Spamo posted:

I thought that the 'primitive' planets were more along the lines of our modern (or 1980s-ish) Earth with a drastically smaller population.
Like, they have phones and electricity and running water, but the super-advanced interstellar stuff like hovercars and missile robots are rare as gently caress.

I mean, when your neighbor can project force and resources over interstellar distances, the local business of producing a space-toyota pickup looks pretty primitive.

That's what the tooltip in game says, anyway. The baseline for "primitive" is 20th century Earth, with some going further back. So I suppose you can end up dropping into someone's musket war in an Atlas.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

The harpers ferry raid only John Brown hires a BullShark

:sherman:

Imagine if Sherman had a lance of Firestarters for his march.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

With two UAC10s and two AC10s my 10/10/10/10 pilot is headshotting a mech every use of precision shot

I don't want to have one attack me ever

I picked up a Marauder last night, and I'm rolling in salvage now.

Also, my punchbot doesn't want to hear anything about how sucky arm mods are.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Really you should be able to deploy anywhere on the map and if there are disastrous consequences for dropping under fire them's just the breaks

Let me DFA at deployment cowards!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dramicus posted:

Or you could slap those lasers on a warhammer and have them do ~80 damage.

Also Warhammer is the best mech.

You can also mount the +10 damage snub ppcs for extra fun.

I like my Warhammer set up as a punchbot, but this is very tempting.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Mechagodzilla is real, real good at eating heads

I didn't realize one of these was on the field in my last mission until my Orion suddenly ate 4x AC10 shots from a mech I didn't have a sensor signature on, knocking it over, giving everyone and their dog called shots on the torso and coring it in one round. Pilot survived, thankfully. Had me making GBS threads bricks though.

To add insult to injury, I only had 2 priority salvage slots after headcapping it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Organ Fiend posted:

-Max salvage is still the best way to get money, only now there are far more options in the stores. Just about every planet has alot of mech parts. Focus on earning money and get that MAD, WHM and/or ARC early so you can start hitting the more difficult missions earlier.

This line item interests me. Is that because with max salvage you can quickly get complete mechs to sell? Volume of stuff you get? Something else?

In the early game I was priorities max payout to keep the lights on, and once I got a comfortable buffer, started going with 3 salvage and the rest money so that I could reliably scoop any mechs I headcapped. As someone who appreciates walls of text and charts, I'd appreciate the explanation!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sometimes the game throws 3 lances of assaults at you at the same time.

Other times, the game drops a King Crab all alone in the middle of a map with almost no armor for you to headcap and take home. :toot:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Rorahusky posted:

So, I found a U/AC2++ with +damage and -tonnage, making it deal 35 and weigh only 5 tons, so now my Phoenix Hawk is a long distance jumpy rear end in a top hat who skirts around the edge of the battlefield pumping out 42x2 shots, it's great.

I allied with Davion and now I have an Annhilator with 4 (soon to be five) UAC5++, and a King Crab with 2 UAC20++

The crab alone can core anything through the front armor with a single called shot. And the sound effects are so satisfying.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Keltar posted:

Did a mission and had a Demolisher doing it's best imitation of a submarine. It was completely submerged in a lake. Must have had a ballsy crew.

They were testing a new cooling method.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I've seen people post mechs with equipment like ECM and Battle Computer that aren't Ravens and Cyclops, and I'm not certain if this is vanilla behavior or a mod. I haven't seen any upgrades like this in the wild, so I'm inclined to think mod, or very unlucky.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

sean10mm posted:

What's everybody's favorite load-out for the Annihilator? Just went with quad UAC10++ and extra armor and the results are uh kind of comical lol

Love how it looks like some kind of Mechagodzilla-ish thing, I should have rushed to buy the parts for one sooner. :ocelot::awesomelon:

I'm running quad UAC5++ with way more than enough ammo, max armor, MLAS and heatsinks to taste. I should probably go back and rebake the ammo because I think I'm rocking 4 or 5 tons of AC5 ammo and even firing 8 shots a round, I really don't need that much.

It's second only to my 2x UAC20++ King Crab, without the KGC's need to waddle up to the bad guys before opening up.

My lance is the King Crab, Annhilator, a Gauss Marauder with a +120 rangefinder and jump jets for scouting, and a cyclops for initiative. The UACs eat everything alive.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

I refused black market access just so i could spot it. I waited 90 days and nothing. Was it the flashpoint with the mother bear ai? I did that one already

The map beacon for it is blue and it says "Flashpoint Campaign" instead of an expiration date.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

I'm enjoying how 4 part mechs makes me consider lethal options over salvage efficient options all of the time. I always felt that a merc company would prioritize eliminating targets over a gamey system of mech retrieval, and now I get to be the deadly torrent of depleted uranium I want to be.

I've already started doing this in my 3-part game, but I'm well into the endgame now and have my final lance built. "I could try to head/kneecap for more money, or I could just blow through the CT with 2x UAC20s and move on to the next objective."

One cored mech later...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I find the 4-6 ton tradeoff to max JJ on the assaults in my current lance to be a poor trade, simply because my Annihilator can engage anything that it can see so long as it isn't obstructed, and my Marauder can jump around to get good positioning/spot for the Annihilator. The Cyclops and King Crab on the other hand just slow boat it, and if things are still alive and kicking when the King Crab gets in range, the 2xUAC20++ ensure that won't last long.

In theory, I could dump the MLAS on my Annihilator for JJ to let it jump to higher positions, but that's trading 100 close range damage to solve a problem that I honestly don't have.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Annihilators can't take enough JJs to move faster than they can walk, so it doesn't really matter for them.

It would only be for moving up and down terrain to claim height advantage.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ded posted:

Jump Jets on all mechs lets you do position yourself any drat place you please and is super useful.

~rare mech part~

Thanks Davion.

The first time I played through the game, this would have been a true statement. I didn't get a drat Firestarter until I was running heavies around.

I never got a Grasshopper that game...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lazyhound posted:

Cram it full of SRMs and jump jets and shotgun everything in the back.

Funny, that's similar to how I handled the Big Steel Claw Flashpoint. Against everyone's better judgement, I decided to do the fight solo. I grabbed a Phoenixhawk, slapped a snub on it (and like 2MLAS), and maxed the thrusters.

Make contact, jump ALL the way behind him, called shot to the back, then shoot him again next round. Spend the next n rounds flying all over the place like a drat buffoon MLASing lovely cars and coring mechs from behind.*

*You may have heat problems if you do this carelessly, and end up shutting down after a jump like I did. :jeb:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Rorahusky posted:

If you want to Mega-cheese a Marauder, equip it with a -Tonnage Gauss Rifle and ER Medium Lasers, and then just always Called Shot the head. You'd be surprised at how many decapitations you can get.

This is how I set mine up, minus ERMLAS and plus jump jets. Put it in a nice vantage point and spam precise shot and watch the salvage roll in.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gundam is fun because you have so many flavors it can be hard to keep track of what the local handwavium is. Like...

Stravag posted:

I thought the explanation behind gundam was androgynous youths are the solution to all the worlds problems so make every child a soldier? And society was basically ok with it because anime looks at the super adventure club from south park as something to aspire to

I know 100% you are talking about Wing and 00 right now. I know this because I am a giant Gundam weeb (but only Gundam), and you just perfectly described the aesthetics of both. Conversely...

Psycho Landlord posted:

That's really only the original, which is also the most "hey by the way the circumstances of this story are incredibly hosed up please don't glamorize it."

Couple decades later we get Wing, the one people outside Japan actually remember. It did not take that lesson to heart.

The most Battletech of the Gundams is probably Iron Blooded Orphans. Followed closely by Turn A. Turn A has a way more optimistic outcome for the whole centuries of strife lost technology humanity rebuilding theme though.

RBA Starblade posted:

From what I remember from the original show the legs are largely decoration when in space too

Ex post facto explanation was that the arms and legs acted as a kind of reaction wheel style movement system.

RBA Starblade posted:

I cast battlefist

That's G Gundam.

Nah bruh. He asked about F-16s getting MLASed by aerospace fighters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upb6JOY3O3c&t=513s

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

Wow. That is some supersubtle foreshadowing in that dialogue.

Ace Combat is never subtle.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So wait... you're telling me flying an aerospace fighter in Battletech is like trying to dogfight in an SR-51?

:hmbol:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I still do this and just put LRMs and long range UACs and as much armor on it as possible. That +1 initiative really outweighs its lack of damage output: I can do a lot more with three assaults on count 2 than I can with an extra hundred damage and change.

Like maybe it's mathematically suboptimal but my experience with the Z-variant is that if enemies can shoot back at it, it always gets headcapped by some bullshit. Maybe it's just superstition but I don't put it on the front lines anymore.

This is probably technically true but if you're early enough in the campaign that you're still getting 1.5 difficulty missions, a Zeus is going to gently caress poo poo up all over the place until probably, like, Weldry at least.

In some ways, it makes sense not to expose what is essentially a command asset to enemy fire.

On the other, Battletech seems to prefer that you try and spread shots across your mechs to minimize the amount of damage any individual mech takes.

Does this mean I don't just brick tank one mech and let the other three fire support? gently caress no it doesn't! But that's not mathematically optimal.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

Just went from having no Heavies to having a Warhammer and a Black Knight and every mission went from being a slog that leaves my mech bays in weeks of work to a laser light show that doesn't break my armor.

This is a rough approximation of what getting your first Marauder is like, by the way--you get it, and suddenly you have three full lances of assault mechs.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

I'm still annoyed at the Catapult I headshotted being on a mission I had 1 salvage pick. Could've picked the whole thing up in one go.

I've lowballed salvage on low skull missions that have large payouts expecting a fuckton of vehicles, and then saw something shiny I wanted and immediately regretted the decision.

If you go less than 3 picks after getting a Marauder you're intentionally punching yourself in the dick.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

There's only one Battletech novel that matters.

That sure is some cover art. I was really hoping for something more imaginative for the bird people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

Despite Lamplighter being shoved out the door to die by Paradox, I think they still have a huge amount of player goodwill for Shadowrun and Battletech on their side, which would probably help them a lot if they wanted to go the crowdfunding route.

I can say with no reservation that I'd toss money at HBS for a new Shadowrun game sight unseen. Hong Kong and Dragonfall were bangers. I'd do the same for Battletech.

Star Man posted:

So we've now reached eight people that have heard of it.

Battletech is one of those IPs that has a small following which makes it sound like the biggest thing ever. Despite whatever renaissance it seems to be experiencing, it's still very small. Nobody's heard of Battletech or MechWarrior. And it doesn't help that it's strung out between multiple rights holders depending on the medium and mired in copyright hell.

I think you're underselling things a bit here. With the notable exception of Armored Core 6 which is boosted by the Fromsoft legacy, the mech genre itself is relatively niche. The problem isn't audience, it's licensing.