Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mr. Matz will no longer be playing the role of Mr. Met.

:effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Intruder posted:

What the heck happened to Dyson anyway

He's never even posted a .330 OBP. That's extremely lovely for a guy with no power at all.

Comments: I don't care how injured Mike Trout is, I'm still voting for him with every ballot. It's weird not to see Miggy at the top of the AL 1B leaderboards, but I'm sure as gently caress not voting for Supreme Leader Smoak. Also, can it be possible that Kemp is finally going back to the ASG? Probably won't get the votes but it would make sense to name him a reserve if he keeps hitting like this.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

An AL relief pitcher posting a .330 OBP would be pretty unusual.

Yeah, reading previous pages is a good idea.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Have you seen Yandy Diaz?

If he can start hitting the ball in the air he's gonna be a beast.

Yeah, but he's got to learn to hit the ball in the air?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

I'm retracting and saying now the cubs.

Holy poo poo they were a mess .

They gave Zambrano a $90MM extension during a season where he ended up leading the league in most walks allowed following a season where he led the league in most walks allowed.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I always wonder if the J. P. Ricciardi led Blue Jays would have made the playoffs at least a few times if they weren't in the AL East. Not only did they have to deal with the Yankees and Red Sox, but he also caught the beginning of the Rays' run at the end of his tenure in Toronto.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Congrats, Marlins fans :unsmith: something good finally coming your way...

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm hoping I get completely annoyed at how much that Happy song gets played on Cubs broadcasts over the next 6+ seasons. :getin:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Poque posted:

Heyward still in third among outfielders :c00l:

CATCHER
1. Buster Posey, Giants: 917,359
2. Willson Contreras, Cubs: 511,029
3. Yadier Molina, Cardinals: 478,406
4. Matt Wieters, Nationals: 300,980
5. Yasmani Grandal, Dodgers: 241,497

FIRST BASE
1. Ryan Zimmerman, Nationals: 670,671
2. Anthony Rizzo, Cubs: 657,702
3. Freddie Freeman, Braves: 401,982
4. Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs: 363,431
5. Matt Carpenter, Cardinals: 214,324

SECOND BASE
1. Daniel Murphy, Nationals: 1,149,130
2. Javier Baez, Cubs: 715,928
3. Brandon Phillips, Braves: 185,862
4. DJ LeMahieu, Rockies: 175,435
5. Kolten Wong, Cardinals: 171,848

THIRD BASE
1. Kris Bryant, Cubs: 895,752
2. Nolan Arenado, Rockies: 613,571
3. Justin Turner, Dodgers, 362,952
4. Anthony Rendon, Nationals: 295,369
5. Jedd Gyorko, Cardinals: 275,281

SHORTSTOP
1. Corey Seager, Dodgers: 604,783
2. Zack Cozart, Reds: 547,750
3. Addison Russell, Cubs: 537,688
4. Chris Owings, D-backs: 328,217
5. Trea Turner, Nationals: 323,751

OUTFIELD
1. Bryce Harper, Nationals: 1,459,235
2. Charlie Blackmon, Rockies: 979,961
3. Jason Heyward, Cubs: 498,079
4. Ben Zobrist, Cubs: 472,114
5. Matt Kemp, Braves: 457,586
6. Kyle Schwarber, Cubs: 423,394
7. Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins: 398,569
8. Marcell Ozuna, Marlins: 392,973
9. Yoenis Cespedes, Mets: 327,116
10. Dexter Fowler, Cardinals: 268,545
11. Jay Bruce, Mets: 245,634
12. Jayson Werth, Nationals: 236,367
13. Adam Duvall, Reds: 234,099
14. Yasiel Puig, Dodgers: 206,743
15. Ryan Braun, Brewers: 188,192

Just realized the Cubs put 3 corner outfielders on the ballot. Kind of a dick move but I guess there's no :airquote:rule:airquote: you have to put 1 each of LF/CF/RF on the ballot.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yeah I was just coming to post "So Bartolo is done right?" I don't want them to call up anybody who's not ready but if it's a foregone conclusion we're getting shelled one(+) of every five nights just let Matt Wisler do that. Maybe there's a 2% chance he figures something out.

e: Snitker "won't commit" to Bartolo starting Saturday. RIP, you awesome fat man.

Lucas Sims is rocking a nice 62/19 K/BB ratio so far. Newcomb is still walking too many guys but he's 2nd in the IL in Ks with 74. I think some of these guys warrant a look.

And there's always Andrew Albers...

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

:siren: NEW AL VOTE LEADER :siren:

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsMLB/status/872138744803061760

Third Base lookin' pretty good as well

I'm shocked that Machado isn't doing so well, as one of the young faces of the game, but I love the enthusiasm for Sano. Who doesn't love a beefy third baseman who mashes taters? I guess, when you stick evidence in front of fan voters, people actually pay some attention?

Is that supposed to be a play on string quartet? Oof

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Also, 90% of pitching-related terms are just loan words to other languages anyway.

And I'm guessing no team actually believes this should be a requirement. Who wants to take risks that something is being lost in translation?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

You can see the ball the entire way from his bat until it hits the ground and it just had a lot of spin on it. It didn't make any jarring change of direction. Consider the home run a punishment for misplaying it so badly. :colbert:

Agreed. I used my finger to track it. :science:

It breaks like an Archer slider.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Seth Frankoff?

If only there was something to go with "More like Seth..."

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah agreed 3B definitely needs an upgrade

If you're between 16 and 23, you can give it a shot!

http://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/want-play-for-braves-you-can-try-out-for-team/3pJ4h6NVSGLagWTwLI4pzI/

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Johnson as in Chris Johnson? Hard to wish him on any team.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Bryce Harper, duh.

If Theo gets the itch, the bidding war for Harper is going to be glorious.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I'm still lolling at the Braves winning an 11-10 game

this is not a joke or irony: Tyler flowers legit deserves to be in the top 2 or 3 of NL catcher all-star votes

132 WRC+ over the past 365 days. He's carrying a .388 BABIP over that time but you can't fault a guy for what he's done. It just sucks for the Braves that they have caught lightning in a bottle in Flowers and it will probably go for naught.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bewbies posted:

I still don't get baseball scouting.

On the one hand you've got a really talented 18 year old. On the other hand you've got a 23 year old who tore up a tough college league. I get the 18 year old probably has a higher ceiling but I do not get why you'd prefer that wide variation of possible outcomes over a guy who is probably ML ready right now.

There seems to be a shift in thinking recently where teams seem to prefer college bats above other players, all other talent being equal, with the top picks. Other than that, the history of the recent draft shows us that every player is a risk and there's no safe prospect. There have been tons of 4 year college pitchers drafted in recent history at high draft spots who didn't work out like teams expected.

Appel, Gausman, and Heaney from the 2012 draft stand out. Compare drafting them to the Twins taking Buxton at #2 overall. He still has a way to go to go but he has already shown he'll probably be much more valuable than these 3 college pitchers (or at least as valuable from a WAR standpoint) whom the Twins could have drafted instead at a time when they were desperate for pitching.

There also some huge advantages, in terms of player development, to picking a high school player since you get to put them into your system with your coaches at a young age rather than picking a guy who may have picked up things you don't like from college coaches. College pitchers also come with a ton of mileage on their arms/shoulders/elbows.

When it comes to the middle-late 1st round, it makes sense to just pick the best player available, in your team's opinion, because those picks have been shown to be such a huge crapshoot. You could wind up with Courtney Hawkins or Corey Seagar.

tldr: Picking the best player available, according to the system your team uses, is just the best way to go and you have to trust your scouting. If you keep loving up picks, it's time to fire some people and hire better scouts or be more open to listening to the scouts who are more often correct in their assessments.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 13, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Nelson Cruz is going to end up being Jack Z's best contract, weirdly enough. It was pretty panned at the time, too. Oh well, broken clock and all.

E: in other Mariners news, they're no longer extending the naming rights of Safeco Field after 2018. Kinda makes sense since Safeco insurance got bought out by someone else.

Robinson Cano has been worth it, so far, too. I'd argue the same broken clock theory, though. He was just the best player with a fit for them at the time.

And those crazy-rear end rumors that the Mariners essentially bid against themselves... which were said to be untrue but you have to wonder where they came from.

RE: Baez

WRC+ by month
April 38
May 121
June 52

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 13, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kalenn Istarion posted:

What do people who are more informed than me think of the Jays draft picks? I've never been into prospect stats much

On the whole, there didn't seem to be any huge surprises this year. That may be because scouts who write about the draft pool thought this was a below average year for talent.

I think someone crunched the numbers and figured out that a team would end up about 15th in value over time, if they just picked the consensus BPA and signed them with each of their first 10 picks. That's really the lens through which you can look back at drafts but literally nobody can tell you if your team did well. They can only tell you if the players they picked made any sense and I don't get the sense that were were any huge shocks this year.

IcePhoenix posted:

He can be the backup then because he sure as hell shouldn't be starting over Sano

I think sure as hell is a little strong when you're comparing Sano to the best 3rd baseman in baseball over the last 3 seasons and a guy who's 2015-17 WRC+ is better than Sano's 2017 WRC+. I know Donaldson's been hurt but his current WRC+ is 35 points higher than Sano.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 13, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Nice work Twins. Looks like he was KLaw's #14 prospect for the draft?

Also, the way his jersey is wrinkled in that frame, it looks like he's got a golf shirt on and is dressed like a young PGA golfer in that shot.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I don't claim to be an expert on anything but, after watching the draft closely for about a decade, the only thing I am ever certain of anymore is that these are young men with faces and names. Most of them have hands and feet, unless otherwise noted.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Zeke Carrera has a broken foot, so next on the Jays' depth chart for left field is Dwight Smith, Jr.

Steve Pearce is up to Buffalo for rehab.

Left field for this team is a shambles.

I loved Dwight Smith, Sr. He got robbed of the NL ROTY in '89 by Jerome Walton.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I need a Beefy Lad shirsey. Don't let me down, Schwarber.

I'm sure the Yankees won't participate but it would be funny if both Didi and Castro wore Jeter jerseys since both of them once had GMs (Towers and Hendry) compare them to The Captain.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I hope Didi goes with "Sir Didi" or something. The fact that he's an actual knight is the best.

This is awesome. I had no idea. I must have missed that when it came up here as I'm certain it didn't pass by SAS.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

Their inability to produce even a league average bullpen in one of their playoff runs was their undoing. I mean it's something teams do all the time, yet there has been a decade of bad bullpens in Detroit. It's baffling.

Wasn't one of the primary problems with the Tigers of old that they rushed every pitcher through the minors as quickly as possible and taking a very old philosophy that they'd figure things out in the majors?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

If Freddie was traded I would stop being a Braves fan.

There's no way they're trading him at this point. If they were going to, it would have happened already. They are going to have to play Freeman at third sometimes if they want to keep Fat Adams in the lineup regularly.

As soon as loving possible, they should really trade Adams for a controllable reliever. I don't know if that time would ever come since first base is not really a need for most decent teams.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Lol I thought it was gonna be some gently caress up like a roof leak but they just forgot to shut the window in the rain?

I was at the game and the rain was fine for a while but there's some kind of doppler effect in the stadium and, suddenly, rain was coming in under the overhangs from all sides.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

You guys will never guess what Aaron Judge did tonight.

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/878043914837540864

That kid :allears:

Stupid feel good story of the year Yankees

Pancakes posted:

If Schwarber did a Tusken Raider yell instead of a bat flip I might be able to get over my extreme prejudice against beefy individuals.

I will also take this time to point out that until this happens the Cardinals have the best Star Wars credentials, as Postseason Legend David Eckstein is married to the actress who voices Ahsoka Tano, whoever that is, in the Star Wars animated series.
:goonsay: For those who don't follow Star Wars beyond the films, she's Anakin Skywalker's former Padawan and maybe the most prominent non-film post-original trilogy character in the SW Universe at this point. That was a pretty awesome opportunity Ashley picked up and she and David are pretty huge nerds (she has a line of SW inspired clothes and I think she designed David's wrestling costumes). Could David do anything more to endear nerd baseball fans to him?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 23, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

wasnt the whole thing that their mostly white suburban fanbase didnt want to get so close to the "dangerous" parts of atlanta to attend games so they fled to cobb county without so much as planning adequate parking for the stadium?

if the Brewers moved to Brookfield suddenly they'd still technically be in the Milwaukee metro but people would make a big deal of that too.

The Braves wanted a ton of renovations paid for and some concessions from the city/county. The city said no because, reportedly, "It's not like you have anywhere you can go."

So the Braves made a backroom deal with Cobb County commissioners that kept the Braves in the "city" of Atlanta while moving them to Cobb County. When citizens in Cobb County tried to raise hell, the backers of the project stuffed the open meeting with their own supporters so that there was no time for critics of the project to raise their voice.

Cobb County voters tend to be pretty anti-spending-money-on-stuff so I don't think a measure to fund the stadium would have passed a county-wide vote.

I don't think the location of the new stadium is going to help them much. When you're driving toward the stadium from the city at night, you're going the wrong way during rush hour. The one redeeming quality of traffic to Turner Field was that you were driving into town when most people were driving the other way.

Maybe we are just seeing that the Braves are loving garbage when it comes to working on stadiums. See also: Pearl, Mississippi

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 26, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Ah yeah that is BS, I didn't know about that part. Seems like a hard overcorrect from not making any money off the lots at Turner.

e: lol at this comment

They made money off the lots. They were supposed to share their profits, though.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Not from what I've been told. The way I heard it was that Fulton County owned the lots and made the money off of them but they were supposed to funnel that money back into developing the area around the stadium and never did.

This was coming from a high-level braves employee not in corporate so it could have been BS but he's a good friend of the family so I hope it's not.

The Braves leased the lots from the recreation authority but they collected the parking money directly and were supposed to pay back some of the profits to local non-profits when Braves games were going on.

There's a little bit about it in this article:

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/great-reads/turner-field-development/

quote:

The team gives 8.25 percent of its parking revenue—an average of $446,000 annually—which to date has added up to at least $7 million, according to the recreation authority

The team was also supposed to give 50% back to the authority when special events, or non-games, were held at the stadium but the authority is saying that the team paid less and it sounds like the sides are working on a settlement.

It's possible that the parking revenue was directed into a holding outside of "the team" by Liberty Media. Your source might not be wrong if he says that the "team" didn't make money off the parking but Braves Holdings, LLC, did collect money from parking because the deal with the recreation authority was that some of the profit would be redirected back to non-profits in People's Town and Summerhill.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Also, browsers suck for watching MLB.TV, in the experience of me and many people I know. There is an app for MLB.TV available for PC and Mac and I recommend using that instead of your browser.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This app is HORRIBLE this year for me. Is it just me? I constantly get errors, I can't even choose the broadcast team without getting errors. The best app is the phone app, it works flawlessly. My LG tv app and Xbone app also suck. Lots of lag and pausing.

That's weird. My LG Blu Ray app used to suck so I'd use my computer browser or phone. Starting last year, on Comcast, I couldn't get games to play on my browser without serious rubberbanding issues on the stream but the XBone app worked great so I tried the PC app and it was better. My friend uses the PS4 app and it works better than Safari/Chrome on his Mac.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

N: Marlins are sending Adeiny Hechavarria to the Rays for 2 minor leaguers.

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/879426395306328064

V: I guess Loria saw how the Mets were distracting everybody on the "Horrible team mismanagement" front and are gonna try to sneak a few moves in.

I don't hate this like other people seem to. They got two minor league players for a ~1 WAR shortstop who is also a pending free agent? Even if their ceiling is about 3 feet high, seems like a decent move?

They "won" the Jose Reyes/Mark Buehrle trade, too.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah I didn't realize that Adeiny wasn't just glove-first, but glove-only.

I mean, feel free to hate the Marlins and Loria for wasting the overlapping prime years of a pretty incredible core of players.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Timby posted:

Maybe a month ago on a Sunday (I think it was Memorial Day weekend, actually), I was sprawled out on my couch with the worst migraine I've had in years, and I had MLB.tv on in the background, it was either a Cubs or O's game.

I swear to God, that loving commercial was playing twice every single commercial break. I was ready to throw the TV through the window.

Try watching these games with a non-baseball fan and see just how fast they get really loving annoyed that they're just watching to be a good sport and they have to watch these loving commercials on repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I get why MLBtv costs ~$125 per season instead of ~$20 per month but is there a reason they don't have a monthly option at all?

• Locked thread