Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Weird, none of the EA stuff is showing up on the Xbox app for me in Australia. As far as I'm aware the app is up to date.

I better not be about to discover something infuriating :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Is there a way I can use gamepass for pc while offline? I’m going on a roadtrip soon and I’m not expecting to have great internet for most of it.

Alternatively, does it use much data while playing offline games? I can always tether my laptop to my phone, but I’m on pretty limited data allowances too.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Barudak posted:

No, not really at all. The Yakuza games are a small richly detailed zone filled with sidequests and some dreadful combat. Some elements are in both (karoake minigames, food, etc) but they're not really similar.

They're all on Game Pass so why not try Yakuza 0?

Is there a recommended order for playing them in? I've always meant to try out the Yakuza games but never quite got around to it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

Yeah I already have most of the ones on sale either from previous sales or when they were gwg freebies. I love me some Lego games.

A bunch of them have been freebies on the Epic store as well, I'm pretty sure.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Game-Blouses posted:

I just moved into a new house. Went to turn the ol Xbox One on, and nothing. If I only plug the power supply into the wall I get an orange light on the power supply. The internet tells me that’s not great! When I try to connect it to the Xbox itself, the power supply light goes out. Is my power supply bad, or is my Xbox finally borked? It’s 7 years old, so it’s not the end of the world.

Are you able to isolate the problem at all? Try the power supply and Xbox in a different outlet, circuit or even at someone else's house? If you know someone with a Bone, can you use your supply with their console (or their supply with your console)?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Focusing on playing games well seems like a good idea for a games console tbh

Eight years later and it's still loving hilarious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

So is there any reason I apparently can't get GamePass for PC with my Bing rewards points? I claimed it last month, but the only thing showing up now is GamePass Ultimate, which doesn't really help me all that much since I don't have an Xbox.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Ultimate is for both PC and Xbox.

You should try it on Xbox, too...

That's the thing, Ultimate is twice the cost (12,000 vs 6,800), and I don't have an Xbox console.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Every Total War game on GamePass PC, let’s goooo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

External Organs posted:

For someone who's never played a Forza, what's the difference between horizons and the mainline game?

Horizon is the spiritual successor to the Test Drive Unlimited games from way back, where you just cruise around buying cars and houses and doing races.

Motorsport is more like a Gran Turismo game, aimed more towards sim racers

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Laserface posted:

Fh4 is an overwhelming game to try and jump into. There's like 4 menus before you even get to your car and it really just needs a "shut up and drive" mode that doesn't harass you with all the seasonal and event poo poo. It's a huge turn off to the best way to play the game.

On the flip side, that first 20 minutes of FH4 is loving incredible, and an experience I wish I could have over fresh again

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I think Samsung TVs are notorious for intrusive ads as well, while their website boasts about collecting viewer data and selling it on to advertisers

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Ryoga posted:

Wasn't that guy also in charge of a bunch of PS3 launch decisions too. It's mindblowing how he keeps getting work.

Classic failing upwards
It’s almost like there’s no consequences for anything when you’re a rich white Silicon Valley techbro

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah Red Dead 2 is a legit brilliant game, if you’ve already got it then just play through it now

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Laserface posted:

I don't really get art but I saw this thing in person and was left pretty speechless https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Watch

The sheer size and detail was incredible.

calling in a chopper gunner though? pretty good

Imagine how much better it would look with ray-tracing :perfect:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Barudak posted:

Just tell me that Disco Elysium is coming to game pass

:yeah:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Wow, Humankind is a day one release - can’t wait to check it out! I stopped following development after the early betas, so I’m keen to see how it turned out. Xbox still winning

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I think Solitaire was bundled with certain versions of Windows, so it might just be telling you about something you already had.

Mind you, the GamePass version is ~~Premium Edition~~ which strips out all of the ads and freemium currency junk.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

You missed the page before where people were still angry at Myst like it was 1993.

Pissed about Myst

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Admittedly I haven't played Valhalla at all, and only the first few missions of Odyssey, but I don't think AC has been a stealth-focused game in years. Not since they dropped a couple of turd games and decided to just wholesale copy Witcher 3, at least

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

I wish they would make assassins creed games just contained stories set in historic locales and leave out the ancient aliens and what have you. That crap has always been the weakest part in the ones I’ve played with 2 as an exception.

You'd think they would have realised all this after Black Flag, where the protagonist becomes an Assassin by finding the outfit, and then when someone tries to explain the significance and the lore and backstory etc, he basically just goes "yeah whatever, I don't care about any of that, just let me stab people from hay piles". It was one of the best (and best-received!) games in the series :v:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

otter posted:

Any reason for that?

Dunno about that other poster, but pre-ordering is almost always a bad idea. Absolute best case scenario: you get instant access to a fantastic game and support your favourite developer. Far more likely scenario: you've just dropped $50 on a mediocre game sight unseen, will have the worst possible experience between bugs/server crashes etc, and your "support" goes into yachts and cocaine for the execs.

It's always a better idea to read a few release day reviews, see what the online consensus is between play now/play after patches/don't waste your time. If people like the game, cool, just buy it, it's not like in this digital era you'll have trouble finding a copy. If the game's half-baked don't bother, or wait to pick it up at 75% off after it's been properly patched.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Indeed, it's great on PC with mouse and keyboard.

Mods?!?

Realtalk I find it nigh-unplayable with M&K

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The Kins posted:

It's this, it's graduated from "Game Preview", as it's called on Xbox.

TABS has also been an Epic Games Store freebie giveaway at some point; I’ve got a copy of it there that I’ve never played

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Played through that Procession to Calvary game last night. Fun little point and click adventure, thankfully without much pixel hunting. There's a bunch of genuinely funny moments, even if some of the humour veers dangerously close to "le epic meme" territory. And of course, if you're a fan of Renaissance art you'll probably get a kick out of seeing what's been used where.

Only real complaint is that the main character moves insanely slowly, so when you're backtracking a bunch of times to find the right item or doing fetch-style quests it can get pretty tedious.

But the whole game is doable in 4-5 hours, quicker if you get stuck on something and google it like I did :v:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Zachack posted:

You can double click to run, it speeds her up a bit.

lmao gently caress :smithicide:

And yeah I savescummed endings 2 and 3 because I figured I had two options for dealing with the emperor, so I was surprised to find they were called 2 and 3. Like you I had to google what ending 1 was!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

adhuin posted:

Desperados 3 (Squad based puzzle pausable rts in wild west)

I'm gunna second this recommendation, I've been playing it the last couple of weeks and it's really really good. A sort of mix between Xcom and Hitman, set in the Wild West. Missions are surprisingly open as well, there's a whole bunch of different ways you can usually complete the objectives which is super cool.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Zerot posted:

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1450447194599788549?s=21

Don't sleep on The Forgotten City. It's really good.

Are you able to play Forgotten City in third person? It looks intriguing, but I get intense motion sickness from first person games :smith:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Looks like the next-gen versions of Cyberpunk 2077 and Witcher 3 are delayed until next year
https://www.polygon.com/22736576/cyberpunk-2077-next-gen-update-witcher-3-ps5-xbox-series-x

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

American McGay posted:

Pretty sure it's console only.

Yeah, given that it mentions Xbox GamePass and the Rockstar Launcher separately, I'd be surprised if it ends up on PC gamepass.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i was the first person in the world to get all the achievements in the 360 port of san andreas and am so mother fuckin tempted to try and be the first for this version too

iirc the world record 100% speedrun for San Andreas is like 12 hours or something, so I hope you're quick! That's on PC though, so I dunno how many mods are involved

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

mfny posted:

God drat Forza Horizon 5 be looking good : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2fs89aItOA

Seriously can't wait for this, though I have a feeling my aging laptop is going to have a Chernobyl-level meltdown when I fire it up

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Barudak posted:

Put goddamn Jet Set Radio onto my Xbox

This except Total War and PC GamePass

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

acksplode posted:

Is that a console only thing? Never seen a hint of it on PC game pass >:(

Yeah they have little quests and things to earn MS reward points for console players that just don’t exist on the PC version.

I’m getting a 50% discount on PC GamePass by doing the searches and quizzes and poo poo - if you do it every day you’ll earn enough for free GP every month, but every few days is enough points to get every second month for free.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Oh awesome, Total War: Warhammer 3 is a day one release on GamePass for PC

https://www.windowscentral.com/total-war-warhammer-3-launching-february-2022-xbox-game-pass-pc

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

I was working at a Microsoft retail store around the time of the announcement and launch and good lord, did they completely ignore the deafening "Whaaaaaaaaaaaat the fuuuuuuuuuuuck" that was coming from literally everywhere after that launch.

A good friend of mine was working for MS at the time in a totally unrelated division, and he said that infamous highlight video “teevee teevee television television teevee call of duty television call of duty” got passed around the office endlessly to howls of laughter. Like they used to spend coffee breaks standing around someone’s desk re-watching it :lmao:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They’re all addictions for weirdos , that’s money you could spend on games or weed

Why would you waste money on games when you have gamepass

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Xbox Series XL

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

There's also a huge spreadsheet some nerds put together that lists every game on GamePass, when it was added etc. One of the tabs is "Likely Leaving", and shows the third-party games that have been there the longest.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kspw-4paT-eE5-mrCrc4R9tg70lH2ZTFrJOUmOtOytg/

Mind you, it lists Slay the Spire as having been removed, but it still shows as available with GP for me (on PC), and is definitely still playable since I launched it yesterday. Go figure.

John F Bennett posted:

Either way, get game pass, it's the best deal in gaming.

And yeah, absolutely this. I got it ~12 months ago for Crusader Kings 3, and have played a ridiculous number of games for a pretty low price. I've even gotten a couple of free months thanks to ~~Bing Rewards~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah I'm sure they had at least initial discussions about some sort of partnership. But considering Ubisoft's subscription service is more expensive than GamePass, and they don't have a lower tier like EA's service does, I can't really see it happening.

Blows my mind when you look at what's available on GamePass (even just the PC version), and consider that it's several dollars a month less than Ubi's service, which is just a couple of AAA franchises and a shitload of shovelware.