Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I got Just Cause 3 a half year ago and while I enjoyed it, it became a "half hour per day" game very quickly. Fun, but so repetitive that it is best in small doses. Territories and bases felt very copy-pasted. Still ended up clocking in 50 hours and getting every collectible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There should be a Hitman game where it takes Agent 47 several minutes to put on a disguise and where he is constantly fidgeting with the clothes because they aren’t his size.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

this forum will never learn one lesson about ignoring posts you dont want to become the focus of discussion for 6 pages. people HAVE to get their whining off

i thought ludonarrative dissonance complaints died after whatever game i played like 6-8 years ago skewered it with an achievement. what game was that. like a sorta puzzley game where youre like a detective and its 2d and you move between high rises. if the original dissonance discourse didnt turn you off the concept in the first place

Gunpoint

Acknowledged Ludonarrative Dissonance:
“Notice the story doesn’t necessarily gel with the mechanics. Become qualified games journalist."

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Happy Hedonist posted:

If anything people will be more invested in their fortnite accounts 10 years from now, literally and figuratively.

Edit: I should try it again but it seems to take a while to get out of whatever tier it is where you seem to just play bots because I won 4 times in a row and haven't played it since. I'm horrible at FPS games, so they are fooling no one.

Back when I played it you’d always get shotgunned into the head by someone jumping around within half a minute of you landing*. So I’d say having bots in your first games is a good change, although it probably does indeed get rather old quickly.

*Or you landed somewhere super remotely and didn’t see anyone for 15 minutes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Imagine having never heard Eternity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBlsgXKHps0

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Crafty posted:

I loved bioshock one and two, but I played infinite and just instantly hated it. I checked the reviews which were all really positive as I remember, I felt like I must have been suffering from under-sea nostalgia - because I really couldn’t get into that sky poo poo. One of the only times I’ve ever played a well reviewed game and found absolutely nothing of value in it at all.

I was considering buying the remaster (for the first 2) but I checked out some videos and it looked worse than the original. Anyone play them, and Is it worth it? Seemed embarrassingly low effort

The PC versions had all sorts of bugs and inconsistencies at launch to the point where even years later people where telling me to just play the original version. I’m not sure the remastered versions really warranted existing anyway, beyond just being a re-release for next gen consoles.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

enojy posted:

My dad listened to Tangerine Dream like over 20 years ago and to this day I don't know what the gently caress it is. He also had the album from the artist that did the "owp owp ohhhhhh yea" song from Ferris Bueller. Not the movie's soundtrack. The album

Please don't diss Yello like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiTK0pli3w0

And Tangerine Dream scored a lot of movie soundtracks, it's not surprising that Kojima digs them.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 24, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

Can't wait for bloobers take on alone in the dark

It can't be worse than the last one.

Edit: I mean second to last, because no one knows that Alone in the Dark: Illumination (2015) even existed. I didn't until two minutes ago!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 25, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

whats carto. kinda want to play dishonored once that hits gamepass thats basically splinter cell

I started this post writing words about the game, when video is far better at explaining it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdY9t3-q5qA

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Oh yeah, I imagine everyone is going to hate the final chapter (snow and ice) of Carto. It has a couple of times where you want to travel from one map piece to the other, but doing so requires more than just putting the pieces next to each other. And the less said about the sliding ice puzzle the better.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They probably gave them extra time because what they showed got laughed off the internet.

:|

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

American McGay posted:

Are there more than 2? I didn't pay much attention to it the whole game but there's very clearly a branching path choice near the very end of the game and I was able to do both.

There are two end-game scenarios in Prey, but you can also decide to just leave the station via Alex's escape pod earlier on. Obviously, not much of an ending compared to the others. It also reveals/spoils something about the other endings if you are paying attention.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Does anyone itt know how EA Play handles their new games? I see that some newer games like Star Wars Squadrons are on GamePass through EA Play, but I'm wondering if EA supports their platform like Xbox does with putting stuff up day one.

Wondering if I'm going to regret buying Mass Effect Legendary Edition through Steam since I can get it there $10 off for owning ME3 if it's just going to be included with my GamePass sub.

I don't know if it applies to all platforms, but they also seem to do 10 hour trials for certain new games on EA Play. Star Wars Squadron had one when it launched, but I think as of this month you are getting full access (at least that is the case on EA Play via Steam).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 22, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Is there an alternative location to buy X-Box games online? I want to play Far Cry Primal but paying $50 CAD for a 5 year old game is insane

Unfortunately you missed a publisher sale earlier this month. Ubisoft really likes pricing their older games in a way that only makes sense with those kind of sale discounts.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

the wording on the trailer was "next gen"

And an official news/blog post noted:
“ As recently revealed at Sony’s PlayStation 5 digital event, the adventures of Michael, Franklin and Trevor are coming to a new generation of consoles, including PlayStation 5, in the second half of 2021. “

Obviously they wouldn’t miss any opportunity to sell people another copy.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 6, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Should have kept with goon tradition and got a tattoo of a panther.

Oh, I thought the goon tradition was a tattoo of a blue winged dragon?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Sunset Overdrive has been a great fit for Game Pass, because you can play it for a bit and then just move on to a different game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

American McGay posted:

RE7 did not feel like a Resident Evil game. RE8 feels like RE7 but forced into being a Resident Evil game. I'm enjoying RE8 but at the same time it kinda feels paint by numbers at points. Hard to say which is the better experience but I'm kinda leaning towards RE7 right now.

I also don't really get the comparisons to RE4 other than to obvious setting. It doesn't really play or feel like 4 at all.

Having to survive in a village for a certain amount of time at the start of the game is very RE4. The basic enemies love juking your shots. You’ve got a (upgradeable) grid-based inventory and a merchant again. Some loot items can be combined with each other before you sell them. The credits even feature drawings depicting the downfall of the village in both games.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Achievements can be great if they encourage you to replay a game in different ways or point toward things in the game you probably wouldn't find otherwise.

Some of my favorites are The One Free Bullet in Half-Life: 2 Episode 1 (only use one bullet during the entirety of the game) and I Have Minions For That in Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition (finish a playthrough with less than 100 kills, so go for a character build that's all about minions). Most games don't do extended challenges and just go for "collect every X" or "do this certain thing Y times" and so most achievements are not that great.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

We are long overdue Team Fortress 3 (same style please!) and it would be a perfect GaaS title. Surprised TF2 never made it to XB1/PS4 since they updated so much on PC compared to the console release and Overwatch came along and in many ways did the same thing and went on to become a huge success. Seems like such a missed opportunity by Valve but I'm glad that they're making games again.

TF2 on PC got so much updates because they didn’t have to bother with certification. They could have farted out an update every day if they wanted to.

I imagine hardware limitations were also an issue with console patches. Even when you ignore they were doing dumb poo poo like adding a rifle that had more polygons than a character model (and I believe it didn’t come with lower poly models for rendering at a distance either).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 12, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

American McGay posted:

Whatever Goldeneye does when you're holding R is the correct way.

Also flying a vehicle is different than aiming a gun. Flying is always inverted.

Traveling through the city with your batcape in a Batman Arkham game? That’s inverted.

Controlling the flight of a remote batarang? Nope, not inverted! :shepface:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I’m sure there was more to The Witness than the puzzles, but I didn’t enjoy the puzzle enough to play dozens of variations on it.

I did enjoy The Talos Principle tho.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Do not play Q3A with a controller

You can't stop me, fool!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Zerot posted:

I don't know if you're making a joke, but it seems like Alan Wake Remaster is at least coming to the Epic Game Store.

Yeah, I like to think Epic would appreciate more than just new games from Remedy.
https://twitter.com/SamLakeRMD/status/1243182644785033216

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I didn't know this and I own the game but I am not surprised that the Dissonance soundtrack is still terrible. Like I remember being surprised 20 years ago but I opened it now and was like holy poo poo this is "mute the game" bad

Yes. This is one of the first songs that plays in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIhURMAw-8c

This is the version that plays over the end credits. Guess they had some storage space left on the cartridge by having such a low fidelity for the rest of their soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxCUUdys9zY

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 29, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Red Warrior posted:

Oh jeez wasn't that going to be part of some 7 part epic? Or at least a trilogy. Lol.

Yes. Their website used to be AdventTrilogy dot com. They also had a spin off game in development for the PSP called Advent Shadow (cancelled).

Barudak posted:

Im here to report I would buy Advent Rising 2 assuming 0 orson scott card.

I think he was hired to punch up the dialogue, but everybody just assumed he worked on the story. I wouldn't be surprised if that was some sort of intentional marketing ploy.

ErrEff posted:

Tommy Tallarico might.

He might be too busy right now convincing that the Intellivision Amico totally isn't a scam, okay.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 8, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

univbee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D71cBUeAL58

Will include the ability to restart failed missions immediately.

All we had to do is wait 17 years for the definitive edition, CJ.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

webmeister posted:

iirc the world record 100% speedrun for San Andreas is like 12 hours or something, so I hope you're quick! That's on PC though, so I dunno how many mods are involved

drat, I think it spend almost that much time on the stadium races alone during my 100% run. There was one in particular (the 8-track) I just sucked at and had to retry over and over again.

I also 100%ed Vice City... on the iPad. Somehow the helicopter mini-games and the ambulance activity were pretty doable. Stealing the attack chopper from the army base was way more challenging, because controlling the minigun with a touchscreen was awful.

So yeah, guess I don't really feel the need to play this trilogy ever again lol

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Toaster Beef posted:

Unpacking is extremely Zen and I'm loving it

It's extremely not zen when you don't realize what the object is supposed to be. Those anime bike figurines won't go anyplace I have toys and other figurines! ...because they are actually shoes.

Those were a couple of embarrassing minutes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

One of the boxes had an apron, but there was no place I could put it in the kitchen, so it got a spot on a hanger in my bedroom closet :shrug:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It's great that one of those options is to disable fall damage so you can just blunder into the depths over and over again.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

It would not surprise me if they do not come back anytime soon. I get that the tweet says temporarily, but I have learned not to trust these things when it comes to licensing.

In Konami’s case they’ve learned that focusing on pachislot machines is not going to work out AND that game development is hard, looking at everything I hear about eFootball. I think at this point they are definitely interested in keeping things for sale (and being ready to re-releasing them in future).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Then I was misinformed. I guess those anti-addiction regulations and the dip from COVID-19 barely made a dent, eh?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

it's probably cheaper than collecting sneakers or funko pops I guess

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Imagine paying a sub for Ubisoft games :aaaaa:

It's a good deal if you want play their newest game at release, pretty terrible if you don't.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Augus posted:

why would you want to do that

I'm guessing to some people the yearly open world game is a form of comfort food. And Ubisoft wouldn't keep making them if they weren't profitable.

If I was a teenager I would be all over that poo poo. Well... if teenage me lived in a world without Game Pass, I guess.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 28, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah literally nobody cares about Resi multiplayer, I have no idea why they keep trying it.

It was baffling that the RE3 Remake didn't have a free-to-play version of the multiplayer. It was never going to last long, but the lack of that made it dead on arrival. Why even try it once when it takes 10 minutes for a lobby to fill after the first week?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

There's also West of Dead (removed from Gamepass earlier this year) and Hard West (came out several years ago).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

acksplode posted:

This was seriously the original concept for Splinter Cell Conviction except Sam looked like a vagrant. I assume they switched gears to predatory-stealth-shooter since the social stealth aspect was stepping on Assassin's Creed's toes.

I wondered about that original concept for Conviction earlier this year and personally I was surprised that there's early gameplay footage from that version. I only ever saw stills and artwork for it before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g-dgf9BRRE&t=9s

So yeah, revive hobo Sam, Ubisoft!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

What other co op games are similar to It Takes Two. I need to have something lined up for when we finish this.

The same studio made A Way Out.

Wild card option: setup Parsec to play The Lost Vikings!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 16, 2021