Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Schubalts posted:

Jailer Medb's mortal weakness is cheese. I love this event.

She was killed by a piece of cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Plutonis posted:

She says woof even though she's a cat....

She's a fake cat.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

a kitten posted:

Foxes are canines running feline software.

Technically Tamamo no Mae isn't even a fox but that's mostly splitting hairs at this point.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dr Pepper posted:

It's both, I think.

Personally, it's more events.

It's also because you eventually cross a threshold where you've got a lot of materials because you don't have the exp to level up your servants to use up your materials.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tired Moritz posted:

oh, you can get the dango ce even after the event is over? thanks, I guess.

Moon Cell Automaton gets put into the general pool but I think this is one of the few if not the only cases where an event CE sticks around in the non-event gacha.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gacha game gonna gacha.

I've had great luck on both 10-draws and spamming 10-20 tickets before on my main account, getting tons of great servants during the summer re-run, then absolute squat from the 2017 summer stuff, save for a lot of Helenas. My alt-account, meanwhile, has had middling luck but then drew 5/7 of the limited servants.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Clawtopsy posted:

sweet, he looks like a good husband

why does jing ke have such an awesome character model, sick cards, but such absolutely garbage art

Because the sprite artists are great in adapting so many different art styles for various characters into a cohesive whole. Just overlook the lovely generic animations for a lot of servants.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ripley posted:

:wtc:

Woke up, saw that it's Kintoki & Waver day again, blearily decided to waste my two tickets on it.

First was an Azoth blade, sure, about right. Second was gold orbs... gold caster card... Wait, seriously, Waver?

My luck in this game has been so good I think I must be dying in real life. On the other hand, I have no XP cards and about two Caster monuments, so maybe this mountain of grinding is my karma.

If you think about it, life after your youth is basically a long slow slide towards death.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gologle posted:

Plus Sola also did some hosed up things because she willingly fell in love with Diarmuid. If I remember correctly, she broke Kayneth's legs and forced him to hand his Command Seals over to her and she was seriously debating using all of them to make Diarmuid love her?

EDIT: It has admittedly been years since I watched Fate/Zero so I could be wrong.

I don't think it was ever really explicit (at least within the show itself, maybe there's some official statement somewhere) whether she fell for Diarmuid or his enchantment made her fall for him, but Kayneth's saga more or less highlights that the HGW isn't some kind of honorable duel between masters, no matter how much some masters like to wield the rules against one another.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

oath2order posted:

The Kintoki Banner in JP was 4 million, in NA it was 1 mil. At this point it looks like while they may shuffle things around they will include everything in roughly the same order.

It was hilarious though that, since Fate/SN has technically never come out in America they made it a Fuyuki Singularity Banner. Unless it was that also in JP?

Well, the Deen F/SN did come out in America.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nuebot posted:

:negative: better than nothing I guess. I also got the black grail and a craft essence that starts off the dude with 60% of their NP filled. I suspect I got a real lovely roll?

Son, you ain't seen lovely rolls yet.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

she looks like a visual novel heroine

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Vengarr posted:

It originated from a time where they were still justifying genderbends.

Either they finally realized that the multiverse setting means that any character can be any gender, or they knew all along and decided the readers no longer cared.

To me it's more that they just don't care at this point. Full alternate universe characters like Musashi being a girl (but a man in FGO's homeverse) are rare. They just don't really bother justifying it anymore. Long ago, it was just a funny thing to bring up. People wouldn't know anything about Fate except that it featured a female King Arthur. Now, it's just shrug, bring on the servants for people to roll on.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hate-Senpai posted:

I hate you almost as much as I hate Ibram Gaunt.

I ticketed Musashi and got Hozoin in a draw on my alt, then snagged Tomoe on my main.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hate-Senpai posted:

Why would you do this.

You're depleting the pool.

Relax. Tamamo isn't a limited servant.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Wuxi posted:

Also if buy quartz, you spend the paid quartz first, which is pretty drat annoying.

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm so glad I swore off spending money on gacha games. Makes it easier to laugh at how they're designed to bankrupt you.

That is definitely not the case. Free quartz is always spent first.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Compendium posted:

Why else do you you think there's ppl suffering in JP after two years

Gacha is suffering.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Vengarr posted:

In the Fateverse she's actually a fragment of the goddess Amaterasu, broken off in order to interact with humans. Which explains why an otherwise fairly-obscure monster is so drat powerful; Tamamo (Caster) is only a fragment of a fragment, and she's still quite impressive.

She's pretty similar to Medusa.

She's still a complete monster. In the Extraverse, it gets deeper. It's a more recently Japanese mythologizing of the story but rather than Tamamo-no-Mae just being a monster, she's a reincarnation/reappearance of another monster, a kitsune that possessed Daji, the favorite consort of the last king of the Shang Dynasty in ancient China (Tamamo Cat's NP is a reference to one of the cruel things that royal couple were said to do) and later appeared in ancient India as well. Tamamo-no-Mae is the first time it was her in-person (rather than possession) and although her most recent life is the one she'll talk about and explain about the most, she doesn't really deny that those ancient demon-fox-ladies are an aspect of her.

The Gods are still inhuman no matter how much they pretend at being human, and some of them are really good at roleplaying humans.

Tired Moritz posted:

gods... exist in fate?

The Abrahamic God probably exists. Probably, in some form.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The sprite artist(s) do a great job making them work together for the most part.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yeah but Tamamo cooks mostly for her master. Emiya is the team's cook.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gologle posted:

So, in the wake of the Singularities being fixed, Chaldea is essentially a magical superpower independent nation, right? One Holy Grail in Fuyuki was enough to destroy the world, and Chaldea has like ten or more of them powering its systems and Servants. You have hundred of beings from across all human history at your command, and they all kick rear end to varying degrees. Like, if Gudako wanted to, she could take over the world with ease?

Well.

They're not totally fixed. Epic of Remnant is delving into more singularities.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Randomzx posted:

Why the hell they didn't include the alternate meaning text/ruby text in stuff like the Noble Phantasm Names? They were obviously meant to be seen to together and typically give a different impression.

For example Nobunaga's NP 'Three Line Formation' also have the name of "Three Thousand Worlds'
Zhuge Liang's NP 'Unreturning Formation' also have the title of 'Stone Sentinel Maze'
And of course, Artoria's NP 'Excalibur' also have the title of 'Sword of Promised Victory'

IIRC they just couldn't get it to work and not look ugly as sin.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Taciturn Tactician posted:

It revealed that Gudako has been dressed as a reindeer this whole time and that wasn't just a nickname so yes.

Personally I'm more curious where Santa Alter got the costume. Maybe asked Emiya to make it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Lord Koth posted:

All the Divines popping in are another big, massive break from the norm, among other reasons because they are also not residents of the throne. So the various possessors/hijackers wandering around, along with our younger two Gorgons - though Medusa is a weird case herself, only summonable due to the grail getting corrupted in the 3rd war if I recall correctly - should all be completely impossible to summon as well.

Hell, certain individuals like Tamamo (and probably Altera) were only summonable in the Moon Cell because it operates under completely different, technological, rules to the normal summoning ritual in those worlds where magic's still fine. So who the gently caress knows how Chaldea's system works, given it's at least theoretically based on the Tohsaka/Einzbern/Makiri model as opposed to somehow using the Moon Cell. This might eventually be explained, it might not - I don't know.

Chaldea's system is different from the Fuyuki system's, although there are similarities. There's fewer restrictions on it so Medusa and other non-heroic sorts are totally valid summons for Chaldea.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Pureauthor posted:

Also, Reindeer are terrible, terrible monsters and I hope they all die

just, you know, fyi

But you're a reindeer too

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

halokiller posted:

So is Nasu's genderbent version of King Arthur still the best recent telling? Never watched Excalibur so can't comment on that (nor the recent Transformers movie but I assume it's lovely).

There's a decent story to it and some characterization. Also, Merlin being nicknamed a cock wizard by fans because of a certain thing he did once, and just kind of being a dick.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Pureauthor posted:

Lots of people prefer their characters to be on-model as much as possible, which the latest episode wasn't particularly good for.

On the other hand Gundam SEED

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bakanogami posted:

Honestly Ozymandias is the only Rider who I can 100% just not understand. He doesn't ride poo poo.

He can ride anything he drat well pleases, he's the Pharaoh.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bakanogami posted:

So he has a boat that isn't a boat and just stays off screen shooting lasers and he's a rider even though he doesn't ride it. Gotcha.

I still prefer Quezalcoatl's "I will ride your face right into the loving ground" gimmick.

It's only off-screen because FGO can't really handle a character with multiple NPs well. And guess which class is defined as "has lots of NPs"

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm dead. I'm loving dead.

Candy Star Photon Ray

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

90 quartz for an Ereshkigal.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hate-Senpai posted:

I almost yelled at you until I realized that it was 30 pulls, not a single (paid) pull from GBF.

Well, three 10-pulls but yeah.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Oh my god santa altera bleats like a sheep when picking her cards too.

MEH

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gologle posted:

Wait, does Mordred "remember" the events of Fate/Apocrypha? The Root records everything that has ever happened everywhere ever, and the Throne is a subsystem of it, so it wouldn't be impossible that she would have a record of the events that took place in that alt timeline. Some of her dialogue seems to imply it to me, but maybe I'm just not far enough into London's story yet and it's hinting at something different.

With FGO, it's a mix of Chaldea's summoning system being different and it's a fanservice game so references everywhere.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Stallion Cabana posted:

I assume the reason they don't remember within the standard 'context' of Holy Grail Wars is that if you fought someone multiple times you would end up already knowing who they were, giving you an unfair advantage.

Well, ordinarily you're summoning a copy of the heroic spirit recorded in the Throne of Heroes. Whatever happens to the servant after they're summoned is not passed on back. And yeah, Artoria remembers because she wasn't a "real" servant all those times.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some spaghetti code that makes NP skip impossible.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Lt. Lizard posted:

I still think its hilarious that vanilla Artoria AKA the original Saber has lower Saber score than loving Nero.

She might be the foundation for the meme but the meme has outgrown her.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ohtsam posted:

Did players in japan realize just how utterly broken Merlin was at his initial release and whale like crazy for him or did it take a while for people to notice?

He got a bit of a preview as a story support. They actually nerfed him down a little from there.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just wait till you cross the invisible threshold and it's exp that you never have enough of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

JP maintenance ends, only to begin again thanks to Foreigners.