Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Why on loving earth would you go for Schiano over, I don't know, *waves hand at dozens of qualified coaches*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Godzilla07 posted:

oh god Mullen just said “champions of life” in his introductory press conference

honeymoon OVER

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

vikingstrike posted:

Or they realized it cost them their top choice and backed off with Mullen? Either argument could explain it
I really don't think it's true. No reason you wouldn't let a coach of Chip's caliber pick his own DC. The defenses he had at Oregon with Aliotti (admittedly, he inherited his defensive staff) were legit, and while his Eagles defenses were well-liked by the advanced stats, if I remember right, though in 2013 and 2014 they ranked pretty low in total defense.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 28, 2017

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Noctone posted:

lol did this get posted earlier?

He’s being so goddamn coy about this poo poo.
At this point if he didn't come to Nebraska I'd be shocked.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

an adult beverage posted:

Where does Jim McElwain go?

Tennessee

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Arizona State

unless you're implying someone's gonna steal RichRod in which case hands off

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Cnidario posted:

Yeah I really don’t think Jimbo Fisher is happening for A&M. It might be nice, but the whole thing smacks of wishful thinking fake news from Texags.

We’re gonna be stuck with Chad Morris.
"stuck"

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

wandler20 posted:

Is Sumlin really that bad? He seems like he did what he should do at A&M. Would he be a good fit at a place like ASU?
Sumlin's a good coach. As much as I'd hate it, he'd be a good fit at ASU. But there's no reason to think he'd do better than Graham. Which, if that's the goal, well, good loving luck.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Noctone posted:

hahahahaha goddamn what a viscious indictment of Tennessee that they can’t even get a guy to leave Duke
There just might be some hard feelings between him and Tennessee, given his history there. He's also old.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
That, and we don't actually know how badly damaging this is to them in the eyes of coaches--maybe they did contact them? We don't know.

Coaches are a crazy bunch, though I bet they're just trying to land a flashy name right now to stop their insane fans from killing them.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Benne posted:

What the gently caress is ASU doing

I want Herm Edwards at ASU so badly.

I want to see the nuclear meltdowns, the awful losses, and the embarrassing football. Bring it unto me.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

The Glumslinger posted:

Hey guys, I declined to be interviewed for the Tennessee job
I threw my name in the ring. My NCAA 14 titles are pretty solid.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Talked about this at work.

:laffo: I love you Tennessee, you're now my favorite SEC school

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Words can't express how hilarious ASU hiring Herm is.

They're gonna be so loving awful, I love it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Oh, ok
https://twitter.com/BryanDFischer/status/936048794289938432
:psyboom:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

hifi posted:

i have no clue what to think about coach herm. if we get better then fine and if we don't then edwards and anderson are probably gone
Oh you're probably gonna win like 8-9 games next season, give him an extension, then fall off a goddamn cliff.

EDIT: Yeah, looks like they were reasonably young this season? :laffo: you fired Todd Graham and hired Herm Edwards

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Yeah I can't hate him, he's a real good dude.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

SourKraut posted:

Hold on, I need to register firehermedwards.com, it can't start too soon.
If I was a dick I'd register this and redirect it to Arizona athletics.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
why would you leave FSU for loving Texas A&M

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

MourningView posted:

That was an intentionally extreme example obviously but plenty of G5 coaches have made the jump and done well and there are several good non-Frost candidates still on the board. You can find examples of failure for literally every conceivable type of hire, the answer to that is not “give up”
I think Tennessee sees themselves as above anything but the "best" hire (i.e., the flashiest hire).

Look at Oklahoma with Bob Stoops, though: won a title in his second year after being a defensive coordinator at Florida and won an absolute shitload beyond that. Hiring a coach is weird, and hard, but some programs seem to hamstring themselves by having unrealistic standards without vetting the actual quality of the candidates.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

MourningView posted:

There are so many good coordinators or lower level coaches deserving of a chance to move up, you don’t have to limit your search to current or recently fired P5 coaches. The two coaches in the SEC title game cans from a coordinator job and Arkansas St. Neither of Oklahoma’s most recent hires were former head coaches and yet they are good every year.

Yeah but it's Tennessee, in the ESS EE SEE

It just means more

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm very glad that (I assume) Scott Frost to Nebraska is all but done. I hope he wins some Big Ten championships :unsmith:

This would be an even sillier carousel if Nebraska was still looking, too.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I can't imagine Mike Leach dealing with the Tennessee media and fanbase

I won't believe it until he's actually in Tennessee but :laffo: imagine if Tennessee football actually sticks the landing and gets loving Mike Leach

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
It'd be a good move for Leach, his Tech teams were extreme overachievers, same with his Wazzu teams. Imagine him having the same level of talent as the teams he plays. His defenses at Wazzu have been sneaky-good, too; this year his defense ranks 23rd in S&P+. He'd loving kill it at Tennessee; imagine if they luck into hiring Mike Leach.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I just checked; Wazzu and Texas Tech's five year recruiting rankings are 49 and 50, respectively.

Tennessee's is 15.

Leach is not a recruiter and doesn't care that much, but if he had a top 30 class, yikes.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

NickRoweFillea posted:

Leach as HC, Tee as OC, Les as DC/head recruiter let’s go baby

Les' background was as an offensive line coach...

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
https://twitter.com/UCF_Football/status/937092499058946049

I ordered a UCF football hat, I'm so loving happy

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Ehud posted:

https://twitter.com/ry_bass/status/937095042233262081

That's kind of weird with the early signing period right around the corner, no?
With the early signing period, it's a bit weird, but you know, he loving deserves to coach that game.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

General Dog posted:

Maybe Mike Riley agreed to take care of recruiting until Frost gets there
This was actually no poo poo the thing he did better than Pelini

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

an adult beverage posted:

I unironically want kiffin2FSU :getin:

Also what's the deal with Troy's coach. Dude won the fun belt and got ten wins and beat LSU. Surprised he hasn't gotten a look.
Neal Brown? All the focus right now is on the big names and apparently nobody wants to take a chance on Brown. I'm sure he'll get a good job once everything settles.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Nebraska's SB Nation blog

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I can't get over ASU hiring Herm Edwards

What a bunch of loving idiot grifters up in Tempe

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
:eyepop:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Dango Bango posted:

My concern is based on the complete lack of any attempt at tackling by UCF in the games I've watched (most notably USF and Memphis). DBs especially. They would just throw themselves at the ball carrier -- no wrapping up or technique at all.
UCF's defense ranked middle of the road in most advanced stats; they ranked 53rd in scoring defense. That isn't great but it's certainly better than 91st overall. They also ranked near the bottom in time of possession.

I wouldn't be concerned about the defense until it's actually a problem.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Joey Freshwater posted:

Literally no one thinks he’d leave, they’re just reporting that there’s an interview. It’s not really something to get worked up over.

If I were a Washington fan I would be wondering why he’s taking interviews if he’s so locked in, though.

e: reading through that guys tweet history now I hope it happens just to witness the aneurism he’d have
It's not even an interview, it sounds like it's just "Tennessee wants Chris Petersen"

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Chump Farts posted:

Can I ask a dumb Taggart question? Is Oregon not considered a good destination after their recent success? I thought they had some good Nike money and are still riding a drat good decade or so minus an off year here or there.
Oregon's a pretty drat good job.

Taggart is from Florida and reportedly grew up an FSU fan, so it has a different draw for him than it might otherwise.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

tactlessbastard posted:

Am I misremembering or did Venables used to be DC for OU and we had at least one poster here who absolutely loathed him?
I don't know if there was a poster that loathed him but yeah, he used to be OU's DC

EDIT: He left when Mike Stoops was returning to be DC, which, fine, he's pretty good at, but letting Venables go because your brother flamed out at Arizona is :laffo:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Crotch Bat posted:

I thought Petersen was a West Coast lifer. Did his son get better or did Petersen suddenly realize there are amazing hospitals east of the Rockies?
He's a west coast lifer and has been insanely careful about jobs, if he takes the Tennessee job I'd be loving shocked.

He interviewed for a bunch of jobs all over the place, IIRC, while at Boise, but he only took the Washington one. It's entirely possible he just wants to hear their pitch, even if he's not really all that interested in the position at the end of the day. I've interviewed for jobs that I wasn't super interested in just in case something stuck out to me.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

MourningView posted:

iirc he was extremely interested in the USC job but they hired Sark instead lol
:laffo: that's amazing, how are you so insular that you offer the job to Sark instead of Chris Petersen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Zoran posted:

An idle thought here: it's pretty common to see coordinators at high-powered programs leave for a less prestigious school to get their shot as head coach. What do you think is the cutoff for a typical coach with career ambitions to do this in reverse? When would coaches see leaving a head coach position to become coordinator at a perennial top-10 team as an upgrade? How big would the disparity between the two schools in question have to be?
Well, Joe Moorhead moved from Fordham HC to Penn State OC. Cal OC Beau Baldwin was previously the (ridiculously successful) HC at Eastern Washington. Both were FBS schools. You also had Rocky Long (current SDSU HC) move from being New Mexico HC to SDSU DC, but he resigned because he didn't think he could improve New Mexico anymore--possibly a different kind of situation.

I can't think of any instances other than Rocky Long where someone's moved from HC to coordinator within the FBS, but up from the FCS level it's not uncommon.

• Locked thread