Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I am ready for Bloodstormblood and to be as red and stylish as absolutely possible.

Mazed posted:

Oh by the way, if you haven't heard yet: The Primal Lakshmi's theme is out and running wild.

Suffice it to say that the harder modes will undoubtedly require the whole raid to perform a full Bollywood routine.

Having made Soken sad and listened to a decent bit of the OST, I can say: the music for this game Remains Good.

(also there was a little, vague spoiler in the filenames and now I'm even more curious about how it will work in practice. tomorrow get here dammit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Despite my previous post, there is some other real life stuff I should get done before even thinking of logging in to Stormblood or I really am going to be obligated to commit honhorhable sudoku in penance.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Haquer posted:

Ended up with a dumb error trying to update to Stormfront and had to re-download everything. Luckily their servers aren't as bogged down as I thought.

Their update servers are also incredibly robust. They're probably getting "hammered" but it's still fine, they can take the fury.

CLARPUS posted:

I'm ready to resume my anime adventures with my pal Alphinaud.

This but with zero irony whatsoever

Alf was 100% a bro by the end, and Alisaie was even cooler

the nerds making up the cast are a Pretty All Right set of nerds at this point

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Mazed posted:

Oh hey just in time for there to be an aethernet shard there now too.

Prepare to see the Ul'dah market explode. :getin:

Oh god, I logged out in Uldah because I thought it would be just RDM.

Rip me logging in any time soon

Mazed posted:

Nah. Gonna grind FATEs, do whatever dungeons the queue allows, do beast tribe quests that I'd been slacking on, and maybe PotD a bit here and there.

Getting RDM up to speed at 60 is my first goal above all things, but I don't necessarily care about being "efficient". :v:

Same, once I kick the tires on RDM, if I like it as much as I think I will I'm going to get it to 60 but through a variety of means. Probably a fair amount of PotD but I want to practice organically and get some good instincts for it.

JT Jag posted:

Where dat job guide at tho

edit: here it at: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/battle/

Holy gently caress, the RDM melee combo ender finally has a potency and it's 470. :stare: That really does make melee non-negotiable.

A bit of theorycrafting, though: is it a good idea on some fights to just stay in melee range? You'd lose a little potency not doing the OGCD hop back, but if you can just turret for your spells and have a shorter hop in for your melee...

I'm also still a little fuzzy on how exactly RDM is meant to actually manage their MP, but I guess we'll see.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Magil Zeal posted:

Rest in peace Bane.

I really don't get that. Heavensward Bane needed a nerf, yes, on both SMN and SCH, but removing double Bios from it would have been enough by itself.

Doing that really does just come across as taking a wound and rubbing salt in it for no clear reason.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

brainwrinkle posted:

I started playing 3 weeks ago and just got my Scholar to 49. Kinda disappointed with these changes.

I also want to pick up Dark Knight as my secondary, and that's bad now too :(?

SCH remains a perfectly fine healer, and they've actually made it so that your single-target damage is largely unchanged. All they really did was nerf your ability to be a multi-dotting, super-DPS god while also putting out tons of healing, which has been a bit of a problem going all the way back to 2.0.

Of course the bigger problem is that a lot of longtime healers on SCH and WHM are feeling more than a little inferior to AST right now because on paper AST is completely out of control.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So thanks to the OP for convincing me that i need to go buy Stormblood tommorow even though i'm nowhere near done with Heavensward yet, didn't realize you just to be level 50 and own Stormblood to get the classes as opposed to Heavensward where you needed to actually get to Ishgard before you could even look at them.

You can buy the game digitally from Square Enix's store right now if you feel inclined.

Xeras posted:

I know it's about 5 hours early but I was kinda hoping the servers would be up early. :f5:

I really doubt they will be up a moment before posted time, since they want to be ready for the huge gerbil rush of nerds hitting the server.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Choyi posted:

Except that SCH is trash now.

SCH is still a very good healer and still has the same amount of single target DPS they always did. It's their AoE that's been a bit over-nerfed, and they share that problem with SMN.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

It took me a second, but I laughed in the end.

Thumbtacks posted:

It's alost certainly get butt kicked in ala mhigo" > go to Doma to train and get allies > go gently caress up story guy in ala mhigo > ??? > afk on Rowena's temple in Doma

From all the stuff we've seen, it looks like it'll be something like this. Don't expect to get to Othard immediately.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

strong bird posted:

It's the best of their new spells which isn't saying much of anything at all when one of them is a lustrate that automatically activates that only lasts 30 seconds from cast

Yes, such a spell has no use at all in a game where the enemy ability rotations are heavily scripted

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Hah, god, I 3102'd. That might be a sign to go to bed and also get my loving work done when I get up :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

So I've been pretty all right with how things have gone, frankly

but now I think my character may be stuck in a hellish limbo wherein I 90k every time I try to login because they're stuck between a story instance (the rdm 50) and reality

so uh

Ither posted:

What also upsets me is the lack of communication.

We've heard nothing for six hours.

That said, there's still only so much to say. They're looking into it and will try to resolve it, and YoshiP has already done a mea culpa. There's not much more to say and they can't give an ETA to a fix probably because they have no real idea when that might come, nor do they want to tie themselves to fixed times and disappoint people even more (and thus also encourage more traffic spikes).

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Same here, so disappointed that I cancelled my pre-order with Amazon and just uninstalled the game, cancelling my service account. I already decided 2 weeks ago to do this but a friend convinced me to stay (even though I've played since 2013 and am burned out). I'm not in any rush to do the MSQ so wanted to just level last night, but non stop 90k's in the middle of dungeons, then back to a 1500 person queue, so frustrating. For me it's SE's complete silence and lack of any support or updates at all that drives me crazy. It's like they could really care less. Then I LOVE the people defending them by saying "You didn't pay for early access..." Like excuse me?? That's like buying a car, and them saying "If you buy it before Friday, we'll include the snow tires for free." Then you get the car and there's no snow tires, and when you complain they say "well it's not like you PAID for them anyway, just deal with it." Like give me a break.

Source your quotes

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Shy posted:

I notice a disturbing lack of catgirl npcs in eastern zones.

Catgirls and potatoes are just straight up not native to Othard at all, at least the parts of Othard we get in 3.0. If you see a Miqo'te or Lalafell, they're from outside Othard and definitely outside Hingashi if they're in Kugane.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

I'm really impressed with how good this game looks on the PS4, and the ability to plug in a mouse and keyboard and play it just like the PC version, while being able to switch to the gamepad instantly without having to do anything.

Well, the secret is, , the PS4 is basically a PC and so the PS4 client is extremely similar to the PC client and can use all the same resources. :ssh:

I think if you plug a mouse in you can even just straight up play it KB/M style.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Xun posted:

Are the stormblood beast tribes in?

Kind of. We're obviously getting a BlueGreen Kojin rep, I haven't seen an Ananta place yet but I bet there is one, and there's also a place that is otherwise under-utilized (the old manor where you ambush Zenos) that feels suspiciously like it's been set up to be a Namazu hub. We'll have to see.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Also, on the topic of race-related dialogue and such, sadly I haven't seen much just yet as a Lalafell up to Bardam's Test, but that's sort of not surprising because it appears there straight-up are no potatoes native to the Far East. The only tater I've seen besides Tataru is a Thavnairan merchant in Kugane, who provides a sidequest (and proves that there are Lalafell in Thavnair, at least). If there's any references in the jobs, it's likely in Scholar and Black Mage, since those jobs are tied at the hip to Lalafellin history - and even then, I might expect only Plainsfolk to get a reference in SCH, and Dunesfolk in BLM.

Eopia posted:

That... would make a lot of sense. Absolutely no one but Alphinaud, Alisaie, and yourself should even know you fought Bahamut if you did Coils after all.

It would not surprise me at all if the Garleans had at least an inkling of what happened. That small castrum in La Noscea was trying to excavate some Dalamud remains, after all, and once you cleared things out they probably wormed their way down to the former heart chamber.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

This is cool. I was worried we'd get something from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance :cheeky:

Speculation remains fairly strong that "Ivalice" is going to be revealed as one of the Shards of Hydaelyn. It'd wrap up a number of dangling questions, and given how much of a fan Matsuno is of XIV, he'd totally be on board.

Spoilers aside, I love that XIV is what brought Matsuno more or less back into the SE fold. Him leaving was a drat shame and I hope after Return to Ivalice he's able to land some more SE projects if he wants 'em (though at this point he's also a bit on the older side).

Zaphod42 posted:

19MB Patch!

And the notes:

quote:

◆Final Fantasy XIV Hotfixes (Jun. 21, 2017)◆

■The following adjustment have been made.
・The Louisoix World is now available as a selectable World.

■The following countermeasure was implemented.
・A countermeasure to prevent the system in charge of managing transfers from and to instances, from acting abnormally has been implemented.

■The following issues have been addressed.
・An issue with the main scenario quest “The Lord of the Revel” wherein if a player entered the duty while performing an emote, a client error would occasionally display upon the completion of the duty and then prevented the player from logging back in.
* With this hotfix, we will be reverting back to the previous system where players were not be able to maintain their emote after leaving a duty. We will switch back to the current system at a late date once we are able to address the issue.
・An issue with “Shisui of the Violet Tides” wherein a certain status ailment would not occasionally disappear upon defeating the boss.
・An issue with the main scenario quest “Once More, to the Ruby Sea” wherein certain events such as server outages would prevent players from progressing with the quest.
・An issue with the main scenario quest “To Bend with the Wind” wherein if a player is attacked while viewing the cutscene, the cutscene would be canceled.
・An issue with the FATE “Keeping More Peace” in The Fringes wherein monsters would continuously spawn and prevent players from progressing with the FATE.
・An issue wherein the following actions could not be used via text commands when playing as a weaver, goldsmith, or leatherworker:
Hasty Touch II / Careful Synthesis III / Rapid Synthesis II / Prudent Touch / Focused Synthesis / Focused Touch / Initial Preparations / Specialty: Reinforce / Specialty: Refurbish / Specialty: Reflect
・An issue wherein the action Impulsive Appraisal II could not be used via text command when playing as a botanist.
・An issue with “Emanation” wherein the server would crash under certain conditions.
・An issue with the dark knight job quest “The Orphans and the Broken Blade” wherein the server would crash under certain conditions.
・An issue wherein emotes performed by nearby characters would occasionally cause a player’s game client to crash.
・An issue with the quest “Fathoms Below” wherein an NPC’s dialogue would appear in Japanese.
・An issue wherein the description for the samurai action “Hissatsu: Yaten” would be incorrect.

Looks like there are some attempts at mitigating the biggest problems in here. I was also totally wondering if the Japanese in Fathoms Below was intended or not.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

By the by, has anyone who ordered the digital version from the SE Online Store gotten their retail key yet? I'm beginning to get antsy.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So why does Lyse need to exist? Wouldn't it have made as much sense if Yda was still alive and all about liberation?

The continued shedding of any ties to the 1.0 version, among other things. At this point the only original, release-day 1.0 characters still in the story are Y'shtola and Thancred.

Carmant posted:

It just feels weird to heap endless amounts of praise on a character with no real dialogue or personality. Nobody RPs anymore so just make our characters talk and be an actual person already.

IMO it also feels a bit better if you keep up with the patches and whatnot - it's more spread out at that point, and you accomplish other stuff in the meantime, so by the time Stormblood rolls around, yeah, you're eight raid dungeons deep and you've been in the news multiple times. It's actually natural that people would talk about you being famous, because you've done a lot by the time of the 4.0 content.

For a newer player it can feel odd though, because you've probably skipped a bunch of stuff on your way up.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 28, 2017

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

nuru posted:

SCH needs some tweaks, but these reddit meltdown posts over it are something else entirely.

Seriously. The play loop and skills are perfectly fine and I can even see what old problems they're trying to address (and while I disagree that "healers were capable of way too much AoE damage" is a problem, I know they considered it one). SCH literally needs some number adjustments and that's it, it's fine otherwise.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I've healed Castrum Abania as a Red Mage and used the tank pet to get through Tam-Tara normal at launch, four years ago.

Lowbie dungeon healing is not difficult and can be done by a number of people.

Also, as a shameless, self-promoting reminder, I am currently a potato in need of a good home. If your static needs a RDM, let me know! (I have one offer already, but it's not a sure thing, so I'm putting out feelers otherwise.)

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Does anyone on Excalibur want to do Susano Ex some time today or tomorrow? I haven't had very successful experiences with trying to clear in Party Finder so far. In game name is Ross Perot

It wouldn't be as frustrating if it was just someone misaligning the stormclouds occasionally, but instead it's things like repeatedly dying to churn, or failing the DPS check on the sword.

Sure, look up Yololo Yolo if you want a DPS who, theoretically, knows what they're doing. :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Asimo posted:

The assumption is that it will keep people in the queue longer since they'll have to run the content over and over multiple times a week to get their drop. Which to be fair isn't really incorrect... but the problem is it inevitably results in a not insignificant number of people being unable to get their token because you can only run a finite number of attempts per week and some people are just unlucky.

Yes, the main problem is that it doesn't account for time being finite. Unless someone is farming 24/7, or farms with the same people, you will inevitably end up with some folks who simply get RNG hosed in a given week.

Granted this gear ultimately ends up getting supplanted by tome gear, but it remains frustrating, especially for folks who like to step into Savage modes day 1.

Which may not be me, this time around, as I remain a homeless lalafell. :negative:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Oh my god

:allears: :allears: :allears:

The best part is it's so easy to just casually get top dps as RDM just because everyone else lost GCDs for mechanics, how insanely garbo do you have to be

Man, the post and the account seem to have been deleted in the last hour or so and I missed it. Did anyone capture it?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

god

dammit

I don't need more cute glams that look good on dragongirls or similarly-sized people

yoshi why do you do this to me

i had just found peace and contentment

why

(I am very happy with those SCH changes though, and think that the healers are a lot closer in utility and power now. I still think they need to look at the cost of Adlo, but at least there's an argument for each healer now.)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Lost Canals!

Lost Canals!

Lost Canals!

The mats for the new glamour are gonna come from canals exclusively, aren't they :(

That's going to be so drat expensive.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Jinh posted:

Wow I wrote about how unfun sch is yesterday with pets being annoying and the new fairy-using actions being wrecked by movement. The changes they've had really turn my opinion around. Not by a full 180, mind, but enough to try leveling my 60 sch over my 55 ast for a while to see how it shakes out. I was totally ready to drop my membership in the book club. Good work SE!

The main thing that SCH needs now is for Adlo to be a bit cheaper, or for SE to just bite the bullet and give us a way to generate a guaranteed crit, even if it's on a 2-3 minute cooldown or some poo poo. The design right now encourages fishing for crits at important moments, but unlike ARR or HW, you get punished for trying to play well if you get unlucky, even with crit stacking.

Also I am glad WAR got the buffs it needed :)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

O3S may have been cleared by one group, but I'm watching it right now and it is insane. It will be a hilarious meat grinder for most groups and may even be a static-killer for those who can't get their poo poo together.

And we still have O4S and probably Neo-Exdeath to look forward to!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

source your quotes

Myself and I stand by the statement. :colbert: Savage Halicarnassus is going to require significant amounts of actual effort for most groups, even with a guide.

I do want to revise my statement a little though, because on seeing Savage Exdeath... :staredog:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Minrad posted:

Some of Savage Exdeath is gear. Like at 330~ ilvl, that transition is way less brutal. There's currently zero room for error on the holy -> spread for flares, dual cast fire III, etc.

Yeah, it's true. More defense and vit will help a good deal, but right now it's just a brick wall, watching it. If you're off by even a little bit in Flare positioning, DPS fall over with no hope.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

On account of the Neo-Exdeath model in the game, I'd assume yes.

Model and music are in the game. It would be very weird if there isn't a Neo Exdeath phase.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I'll say this much: Cheap Dungeon was a good and cute reminder that yes, Kazuya Niinou is at Square now and working on FFXIV at the moment, and oh my god I'd be over the moon if they let him loose on an Etrian-esque dungeon crawler with SE resources backing him up.

EDIT:

IM ACTUALLY FUCKIN TRIGGERED

AAAAAAA

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 27, 2017

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Speaking of things dying, this happened last Tuesday but still:

Took a bit longer than it perhaps should've because of schedule and roster trouble, but she's deadzo. Now to die to Flare... a lot.

Fister Roboto posted:

NED is a pretty strong contender for my favorite fight in the game.

I have seen people doing prog on the fight and it looks completely amazing. Very, very little bullshit, either (unlike the one huge flaming RNG turd that is in Hali's last phase - briar dance is so much easier than stone dance, especially after loving Dark Tokens, that it almost amazes me the fight went live like that).

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Does Return to Ivalice having tons of spoilers mean that if I'm inbetween tactics, 12 (ect) I'll get spoiled on plot details or like there's so much going on for return to ivalice practically everything will ruin our tighly knit suprises

Countblanc posted:

I think they mean that they're not going to preview much of it because any little clip could spoil the story.

They might also dump a ton of it out there; the summaries are still a bit unclear. (Or maybe they'll totally show the raid off without spoiling the story?)

Personally I am totally ready for Ivalice being a shard of Hydaelyn, it explains why they're being so cagey and they've been jerking off the concept of the shards for a while so the time is right to take the next step and visit one, and hey presto it's a previously existing setting.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Mr. Locke posted:

Oh no doubt. FFXIV has been building towards pulling an FF4 After Years twist for a while, with all the hints that the 13th/the Void might just be FF3's world with a Bad End, especially when if it turns out Unukalhai is actually just Luneth.

Not sure I saw that; the 13th has seemed like Irish Mythology Town more than anything, and an attempt to explain why a prominent franchise demon is named Cuchulainn (turns out they ALL got demonized!)

Either way, for good or head-slapping ill I do expect there will be some shards shenanigans for Return to Ivalice; the timing is just too right. I've been wrong before, though!

Also:

Velthice posted:

The randomness of the last phase of o3s is the only part of the fight I like because the entire fight before that is so set in stone I can see the boss reading her script inbetween attacks. Not that you know, bosses shouldn't have scripts but for o3s it feels to me at least that the variance you encounter (mostly the elemental attacks) aren't really exciting until the last phase. I guess my example of a boss I really liked that had interesting variance would be cruise chaser. BUUUUUT to each their own

I agree that some variance in a fight is good for maintaining interest and both O3 and O4 are a little heavy on the scripting. My complaint is just how honestly imbalanced the two possible mechanics are.

If you get thorns, you have to run a little bit but you take no damage and it's the easiest thing in the world to deal with. Monks might lose stacks, but you won't lose that much raid DPS and if anything the healers get a moment to take a breath.

Stone, however, slaps you for 20k guaranteed AFTER a whole bunch of people have taken damage and now you need to move to get safe, making it harder to top people up for the big hit happening right after the big hit.

They're just so completely incomparable in terms of challenge and pressure that it ends up being a coinflip on how hard the boss decides to be.

edit:

Foreskin Problems posted:

Is there a website that tells you what amount of a stat to shoot for as a class? I just hit 65 on my first class and want to be prepped for picking up upgrades. Also I didn't see this in the past couple of pages.

You no longer need to shoot for specific numbers of a stat; that happily died out with Stormblood. There are better main stats for any given job, and a decent job guide should tell you which main stat you prioritize more. (Super TLDR: if you're SMN/BRD/SCH, Crit; if you're most other DPS, Direct Hit; if you're a non-SCH healer, either det or spell speed to your preference; if you're a tank on progression, tenacity.)

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 28, 2017

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

So wait, just to be sure: I previously had it drilled into my head that, for this tier of content and gear at least, it was DH > all for RDM.

Is that actually true or was I misinformed?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I was out and missed the moment of the reveal. :saddowns: Hopefully they talk/show a little more of it though it seems they want to keep it tight under wraps.

Interesting that it's going to be the headline of the patch though, and that it'll apparently have story relevance?

edit: Hmmmm. (spoiler?) https://i.redd.it/oa6op7hfyejz.png

edit 2: oh my god the GARO designer is doing the Ivalice bosses? https://twitter.com/Nova_Crystallis/status/903866130628046848

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 2, 2017

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

D'aww, we now have an FFXII reunion on stream, with both Minagawa and Matsuno on the couch :3:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Sugar bowls.

FFXIV is just a goddamn merchandise juggernaut at this point.

(the gimmick with the moogle pom is clever tho)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

The only reason you need to stay subbed.

isk posted:

Matsuno and his Oldboy hair and ridiculously good shoes

His hair gives me life