Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Kaldaris posted:

After having completed the Main Story Quest for Stormblood, I would like to thank Raubhan for being the best Scion and getting all the work done. When we were busy putting giant rhinos in burlap sacks. You were doing the heavy lifting.

Honorary second best NPC goes to Leonardo, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. Give me a permanent Manta Ray, thank you.

so true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Would someone unfamiliar with the game look at Yda and Lyse and reasonably conclude that they're the same character? Probably not.

Would someone unfamiliar with the game look at Leather Vest Lyse and Flowing Monk Dress Lyse and reasonably conclude that they're the same character?

Of course you can draw a line from Yda to Lyse. I'm saying that Lyse is, in practice, a totally new character designed to go through Stormblood alongside you and learn and develop (much like Estinien/Ysayle), and Square decided to retcon Yda into Lyse rather than killing Yda off and going through an introduction process with New-Lyse. This was made especially apparent when it turned out all the Scions, save you, knew all along that Yda was secretly Lyse, saving them the trouble of having to go through several scenes where the Scions deal with the revelation of this years-long deception and deal with the grief of Yda's death.

Lyse was fine to me, but it was clear to me since the beginning that Lyse's character was created co's they wanted a new blond waifu to replace Minfilia.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

vOv posted:

I don't think so. He looked at Lyse and the Mol girl, but not her. I did enjoy Suda going EIIIIIIIIIIIII????? at that one point though when he dissed her.

Actualy, I remember that too. He gets all pissy when he hears her name at first and then some underling explains that she gave jerklord the boot last time he started having ideas.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Do not shout about Donald Trump memes, please.

Make kugane great again.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

"An issue wherein the scholar action Fey Union would always restore critical HP under certain conditions."

lol

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Truga posted:

Sounds like all the cool people left to Omega, we're having the opposite problem. :rip:

As a healer I can attest to that. More than once have I asked if anyone wanted to queue with me and got no one. I think goons hate me. :ohdear:

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Wow, that was one really bad q&a.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Sarrisan posted:

i, for one, love missing half of my aoes because the tank cannot loving chill for 5 seconds

My biggest trouble as a perma-noob tank in ffxiv is getting the mobs to pack together like in wow.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

So I think the song that plays in the Ala Mhigan resistance base is apparently the Imperial anthem? Kinda goofy if so, lol. The Imperial anthem is good btw, it is a very realistic sounding anthem.

edit: As a random side comment, it's kinda goofy that the Empire hasn't discovered Rhalgr's Reach, given they have airships that they would presumably patrol with, and Rhalgr's Reach is open to the sky (though maybe they actually are aware of them and just leave them alone for some reason).

WoW has a very "Western nerd culture" feel to it, for lack of a better description. Like there are certain things that I have trouble putting my finger on that just make a story just feel that way, and it applies to many big budget Western RPGs (as well as certain things, like Joss Whedon shows/movies). I don't mean this to imply JRPGs are better by any means, though the FF14 story is not a completely stereotypical JRPG, even if it has many of the characteristics of one. One way of putting it might be to say that stuff like WoW "tries too hard" and lacks the writing chops to really accomplish the sort of heavy story beats it sometimes aims for. FF14 plays its core story of a hero doing heroic things fairly straight; it doesn't try to have many edgy betrayals and the like. Likeable characters stay good, etc.

For example, I'm pretty sure Haurchefant would have ended up betraying the WoL if he were a WoW character.

(All of this being said, I still enjoy plots like WoW's, even if I don't like it as much.)

edit: Now that I think about it, I think a really big part of it is that FF14's basic setting is vastly better than WoW's. WoW's setting and core cast have always been kind of dumb/boring, and it's been limited by its sort of Warhammer/Tolkien knock-off nature. It also doesn't take itself very seriously, which can be good in some ways, though it ends up weakening any attempts to include more serious plot beats.

vvvv Ahhh

Let me be a little passive aggressive here, to point out that I feel like most of what made WoW story bad was Chris Metzen's cheesy, over the top, loktar'ogar, "epicness" bullshit.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Yeah but if you take that away there’s nothing left.

True, I guess. But It's a such wasted oportunity. Their setting and art style would be so perfect for a more Terry Pratchet kind of "gentle" and humorous social critique.

drat with all those mmos out there we ended up without a discworld mmo. Maybe is for the best, but a guy can dream...

edit: On the subject of statics now that I'm leveling a NA character I might consider looking for a goon static if I can find some time to play during the week. The thing is, I bounced really bad from this game on SB release due to a bad pub static experience.
I announced in that lfg discord that I was a new player looking for a static that wouldn't mind me being bad. They seemed fine at first, but after a while, everyone started bickering with each other and being super frustrated and passive aggressive to the point where I started dreading when Tuesday was getting close and just stopped logging in at some point.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 26, 2018

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah I have a real problem with how almost casually the WoW team goes about retconning the old bits whenever they don't fit with whatever they have in mind.

On a side note I hope it's possible to "catch up" with the Doman reconstruction because I just started last week and I kinda want to complete it before the new expansion but the weekly cap feels low and I have no idea how high it goes.

I totally agree. I may be wrong, but I imagine Yoshi P being as prominent in the head of the team allows them to have a better "bigger picture" view on the game and to keep a consistent story and then proceed to make content that fit into it.
I still really enjoy wow, but it feels like they just build whatever they think sounds cool and then they find a way to make it fit shoehorn it into the game lore.

And it's not just the lore, blizzard must be the most ADD-riddled developer in the history of video-games by now. Every expansion they seem compelled to ditch whole game systems just because. The game is full of vestigial systems hanging in there to rot.

On that note, I know it's almost unthinkable (see SE own ARR story + blizzard and cataclysm), but I still would love to see another "back to the tree cities" expansion.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 26, 2018

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Ok, I think I'm done with my seasonal cycle.

Every time I try to roll a new char in NA, I decide I'm done with healing, it's to stressful (and mouse over macros in this game are a bit lovely) and I'll be better rolling as a PLD. Then halfway there I get bored and go back to healing, but promise this time I'll main WHM co's SCH is too clunky and I'm still pissed that I can't heal with my good pal carbuncle. And now here I am, playing SCH again... :negative:

I'm still at arcanist and I haven't logged in with my EU sch to try it. Did they really make controlling the faerie better?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Even the itemization in WoW is starting to become more like this game, I guess its what the people want

And it's a shame. The itemization is by far my least favorite feature of XIV. It might work well, but it's so god drat boring.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Argas posted:

Yeah, it's an island far east of Eorzea. The city-state of Radz-at-Han is located there. Thavnair and Radz-at-Han sort of get conflated in the terminology. Alchemy is a big thing there. Two popular sets of cosmetic armor hints at an Arabian Nights aesthetic to the place.

Edit: gently caress

drat, isn't ul'dah and gyr abania enough Arabian nights? It's enough for me.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

The main difference with FFXIV is that many moves also have positional or proc-based requirements that mean you can't just turn your brain off and do stuff by muscle-memory. You have to constantly check whether various things are active and mentally do an algorithm to select what the optimal thing is at that time. I used to play a DPS monk during Mists of Pandaria in WoW, and I actually got near the top of DPS lists in that because you really could rely almost entirely on muscle memory, but in this there's too many things that require active consideration.

I mean, I still probably do okay compared with a bunch of other random players (I haven't actually used that DPS checker program or whatever), but I constantly do sub-optimal things just because it requires 100% of my attention to keep track of all my DoTs/buffs/class gauge/etc.

(So I guess now that I think about it the issue isn't so much the rotation itself, but that the optimal rotation is dependent upon actively keeping track of a bunch of different things constantly.)

I'm just returned to the game, so don't take this as expert advice or anything. But I spent a lot of time lately adjusting my ui to make it easier to keep most important information close together and having more open screen state. I feel like it already made a huge difference and I'm already playing the game way better than I ever did in the 800+ hours that I have played before.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Black Desert Online has a pretty cool crafting/gathering/hireling management system that's neat and interesting and absolutely ruined by the rest of the game it supports.

They probably are if only because this appears to be the de-facto state of the industry :eng99:

Didn't yoship mention, not even that long ago, that they were still stuck in development hell?

edit: I imagine that by development hell he meant pre-production of sorts.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

The Grimace posted:

So far the only thing Trusts seem to have in common with XI is the system's name. We have no reason to believe that Trusts can be used outside of dungeons (I guarantee they won't) and it seems like for starters they'll only be for ShB dungeons. I imagine they'll gradually add more NPCs and dungeons to the mix, but don't expect to be able to have your own FATE companion party at your beck and call. This is gonna be a real 'test the waters' type of content for the foreseeable future. Hopefully it'll make a reliable way to solo queue for ShB's dungeons.

Being a socially anxious person myself I have no trouble understanding why people would want to solo dungeons. I sometimes skip playing online games just co's I'd rather not interact with people on that particular day. But honestly, this being an mmo, the idea that they are using development time on this instead of the actual mmo game, bugs me a little bit.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

I don't know guys, but I feel like I'm missing something here. Everyone seems so hyped about GNB after that job action while I felt all their spells/abilities effects looked super boring and underwhelming compared to all the other classes (even warrior)... Maybe there's some cool stuff mechanically, but visually it was just some sword slashes and some lame explosions.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Leofish posted:

Given the lore around Gunbreaker being a Hrothgar thing, and how Hrothgar are all about their queen, I hope the GNB relic is Save the Queen. That sword hasn't appeared in XIV yet.

Also, where's Masamune? SAMs have Kotetsu and Kiku-ichimonji. I figured they'd go for Masamune out the gate, seeing as PLD already has Excalibur but maybe we'll get it this time around.

Abilities are cool but I want to know more about the weapons with names now.

That's actually pretty interesting since I was planning on going Hrothgar and it makes GNB somehow more appealing to me. It's weird that they never show a GNB Hrothgar in any of the promotional material (I suspect even the GNB armor they show wasn't made with the Hrothgar model in mind). I don't know anything about final fantasy outside of this game and until you mentioned I had no idea.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Leofish posted:

They've released a bit of lore on the official site, which is where we learned that the Gunblades we're getting are based on technology used by the Hrothgar in Ilsabard. The current speculation is either that the Garleans stole and modified the tech or they developed different gunblades independently.

I have to assume the GNB intro quest-giver will be Hroth.

They named the Hrothgar Queen Gunnhildr, which is a mythological/historical name in Icelandic lore but it looks kind of silly alongside the lore info for the Gunblade class. Gunnhildr appears in the Fagrskinna which you may recognize as a SCH weapon that drops in The Aery.

So, does that mean that the Hrothgar come from our world and not the First?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

I saw an article that mentions player farms in ShB. Is that for real?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

That would be really great though. Stardew Valley: Eorzea edition

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Arist posted:

Stormblood overused its main leitmotif and it kinda sucks because it peaks with Royal Menagerie and then you have to listen to the less interesting versions for five patches.

And I still don't understand why the resistance and the garleans use the same melody for their anthems. It seems really weird. And it really gets old fast.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

unseenlibrarian posted:

Me, I'm aiming for as much eighties knock-off action figure of the He-man toyline as possible.

More like thundercats :hfive:

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

A-fflatus misery

:downsrim:

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Kotaku interview with Yoshida. Some interesting excerpts:

https://twitter.com/purrmaid/status/1133805480516542465
https://twitter.com/Ayveree/status/1133801836736126976

For some reason I never thought of Korea as the kind of place where there would be that kind of backlash, but I'm also ridiculously ignorant of it.

It seems in this case those Koreans are the ones being ridiculously ignorant...

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

amaranthine posted:

if everything's a coffer, it's nice but also potentially really boring

especially if you're in a static that has defined loot lists for generic drops (e.g. who gets the first oil/sand/tomestone/weapon coffer/etc), this means those groups are likely going to end up running such that certain classes (likely healers, at least it was in my old static) always get their items last. which might kinda suck

I agree. loot in this game is already kind boring, they don't need to make it any worse.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Yes, he is. But I totally disagree with him on this: "In terms of values and our players, it’s a time when there’s a lot of changes in perspectives, but we can’t ignore the people who refuse to make changes in their values."

Yes, we can and we should.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

I haven't healed since 4.0 release, so I don't have much skin in the game when it comes to this healer changes. But I'll give my hot take on it anyway, co's I'm supposed to be studying right now, so of course, I need to find something else to do at any cost.

It seems to me like their solution to the healer imbalance is akin to a doctor treating a brain tumor by sawing the patient's head off. Sure, maybe now they have a better balance for healers, but at what cost?

edit: but I still have some confidence in the devs. They had a similar problem with tanks, especially paladins, and even though tank balance went through some weird times until they found their footing, in the end, they did a really good job with it.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 30, 2019

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Veev posted:

All the impressions I've seen say that Trusts are really slow and just about any group will be better. It'll be cool for flavor and maybe for when dps queues really slow down but I can't see using them beyond novelty.

This trust system is something that bugs me a little. I've seen yoship often try to explain how the dev team is stretched thin and how hard it is to balance their need for new content and to add new features and their ability to produce them. But then they go and waste a load of time and resources in something that, although cool, seems way more like a gimmick that seems totally at odds with the whole point of an mmo game.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

^^^

edit: I'm not saying the system is useless. I can imagine it will be good for many people. It's just that the nature of the game and game development constraints, makes me think that it's just a gimmick that will be dropped down the line.

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

the trust system is just a way of getting all the really antisocial people who get angry when people wipe once out of the duty finder.

Now... that's a good point. That I can support, but from what I know about people, that kind of rear end in a top hat is exactly the one who will make a point of not using the trust system ever.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 6, 2019

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

The Trust system is awesome and I will use it at often least enough to see every bit of dialogue/banter from the characters. But I doubt we'll be able to use them for duty roulettes for tomes so it's not like groups won't still be running. I think it's a dumb take to suggest it's a "waste".

Yeah, maybe waste was a little bit too far. I like that they are constantly trying to put in new systems in the game.
I too love games with banter/npc squad dialog systems. I'm just not sure if the game wouldn't be better served by a system that actually fosters more player interaction then trusts. But that just my opinion, clearly the devs think different, and I bet they have better arguments then I do.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

the new interview makes me realize it's kinda extra lovely that hrothgar hairstyles are tied to faces. in order to put out new hairstyles for them, they'll have to add new "faces" in the future, so if a hrothgar player ever wants to get a haircut they have to pony up $10 for a full fantasia lmao this sucks

Yeah, I was thinking it might be a problem in the same way that headgear was a problem. That is, I mean, a matter of dev time. But if it's really that the hairstyles are attached to the body/face geometry, that's a real wtf moment for me.

edit: Also now, instead of making one hairstyle that can be used by all races, they also have to make stuff for each of the new races, it's just mind-boggling.
This must be due to some very weird and specific technical issue that we don't know about co's I can't possibly imagine anyone creating this much headache for themselves on purpose.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 12, 2019

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

I for one am extremely relieved that I won't have to subject myself to the stormblood theme song anytime soon.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Are there garleans in the first? I haven't heard any mention of it.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I'd say the biggest problem across XIV's expansions on the whole are that they go too hard on their respective themes. I don't even care if you like the themes of Heavensward and Stormblood, you're not going to after they get played forever!

:same:

I was complaining about the theme earlier in this thread too. But at the release of SB I actually found it really nice, it just got old pretty drat fast co's they used it everywhere.

For me the best parts of this expansion where:

1. Kugane. That place is just so awesome and I wish they would use it more in the future.
2. The new classes. I think they really nailed it with both of them.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Ethiser posted:

As someone who likes beast races I’m pretty bummed that they just made another cat person. They should have made the lizard or pig race from XII since they were already using the bunnies.

For obvious reasons, I would be all over a badass looking pig race.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Did I understand the patch notes right and the game can only run at 90fps max?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

nah, that isn't right

Yeah I'm finding that hard to believe too. That is how it's stated on the patch notes:

edit: maybe now you can simply turn off the frame rate limit instead?