Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

So ready for a spammable AoE, even if I may not be maining PLD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Seems like a lot of people (myself included) just keep getting kicked every 15-30 mins or so, which is likely contributing to the queue.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless there are some amazing FATE trains somewhere, POTD is going to be the fastest way to go from 50-60.

I did most of my 50-60 on RDM in FATE trains in Corethas Western, Churning Mists and Hinterlands. Had little trouble finding FATE parties or just throwing one up myself and attracting folks. I also did hunts, beast tribe quests, and some POTD, but I get bored really fast with POTD so I probably only did a total of 10 runs or so.

Then I went to do my RDM 60 quest and got trapped in 90002 hell when I disconnected from the duty.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

jalapeno_dude posted:

To clarify: because I have SMN at 70 I already will have SCH at 70 the moment it's unlocked. That means I won't pick up experience as I level, because there's no leveling to do. So I'm looking for advice on what to do to substitute for that.

Just set up your bars, get some lvl 70 healer white gear, do all the class quests (so you'll get your SB AF as well), and then queue for some lower level dungeon - Tam Tara or some such. Heal that. If that's easy, try a higher level dungeon, like one of the first lvl 50 ones. Just work your way up to 60 and then eventually 70 content. It's not going to be the same as leveling along with your abilities, but you'll be able to focus on figuring out the few new things you have each level sync'd step up. With SCH, you have the luxury of your faerie autohealing, so you have some extra buffer for mistakes, especially at lower levels. If you have experience healing in other MMOs, you can probably comfortably start with the lvl 50 dungeons and go from there.

Edit: I'm not saying do ALL of the dungeons, but like you could do something like Tam Tara, Stone Vigil, Wanderer's Palace, Keeper, Aery, Vault, Fractal, Baelsar's, Shisui, Doma, EXDR or some such, just whatever you feel comfortable for steps should be fine.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 4, 2017

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Rainuwastaken posted:

Papashan is a pretty alright dude, as was the guy in the Schooler quests (Alka Zolka?).

Alka Zolka is a gal, isn't she?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Welp, I obviously can't tell male from female lalafell. I used to think he was a guy, but I swear something in the SCH 4.0 quests made me change to thinking the other way around.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Vermain posted:

Primal avatars like Shiva and Thordan haven't shown the capacity (or maybe willingness) to temper. I think the Knights Twelve are just a bunch of dicks that Thordan intentionally cultivated because he needed minions as dedicated and ruthless as him.

Does Tsukuyomi fall into this classification too? Afaik, Yotsuyu didn't have the echo, but she became a primal avatar, and all your bros peace out to leave you to fight her, which led me to believe they were like, "gently caress this poo poo we're not going to get tempered." My perception of that may be colored from the earlier patch though where you have to fight Lakshmi again in the Ala Mighan throne room and tempering plays a major role in that event, since I've been gone for a year and am shotgunning through the new MSQ lines.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Ran a leveling roulette that landed on Sohm Al. Was on WHM, had a sprout SAM that refused to do any mechanics, a sprout tank (who at least learned quick when coached), and a bro AF SMN that made it at all tolerable. Tioman is a beast when you keep getting dead center meteors and one of your DPS is blind to all of the things on the ground or floating over his head.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

Dang, now I am reminded it's a real shame Machinist ate basically all of corsairs lunch in this game because corsair would have been a lot cooler.

A straight up gambler class taking bits from XI Corsair and other iterations throughout the FF history (looking at you Setzer) would be baller af and hilariously nightmarish to balance.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Countblanc posted:

e: I still think using 2 or 3 Enchanted Moulinet should activate Verultima as an AoE finisher.

Wouldn't like verdark / verardor / vermetron or some sort of ver status effect (verbio?) be more fitting with past FF games? Ultima doesn;t feel job specific to me at all, and in FFXIV it's been shown as a sort of supernuke only usable by big baddies, right?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Hommando posted:

I've heard this theory but I've never thought of that second part which makes it far more likely. People who use JP voices say the soul caller sounds like Alphinaud.

I use the English audio and my first thought on hearing disembodied void voice was "This sounds like a slightly off Alphinaud," so I could totally see it being an older version of Alphy.

How long do Elezen live in the FFXIV world naturally, anyways? Are they long lived like in some fantasy settings or does every race have basically the same life expectancy?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I managed it as a sub 350 PLD, by completely ignoring the adds in the last phase and just tearing down Sadu. Stay in sword oath, pop your defensive CDs and eat some of the AoEs so you can stay on her - the duty regen will keep up with eating the add damage and a few AoEs.

Edit: vv It's just the three pot golem adds right? Or am I misremembering?

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 27, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
What's a good method for farming a ton of poetics quickly? I'm working on a glam relic and so far have just been queuing for story trials (Chrysalis, Final Steps, Singularity Reactor, etc..) to catch folks progressing through the story and hence grab the bonuses (100 bonus poes for Chrysalis is extremely my jam), and I'd say 9/10 times it works. Is there a better way that I'm not thinking of?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
My recollection of 2.0 is a little shaky, but as I recall, compared to most other Garleans we have murdalized, disarmed, or otherwise subdued, Gaius is at least a candidate for redemption. He's no Lucia, but he's shown flexibility of thought and a willingness to change his tactics, goals, and morals, it seems (he may have once been a true believer, but I doubt that is the case anymore with him hunting certain folks). If they keep that up, who knows. I'd prefer the ally of convenience route as well, like Nero, but I think the definition of war crimes needs be taken in a Hydaelyn context. I doubt our real world definition really applies in FFXIV. The beast tribes have their own WMDs (primals), and Gaius never, to my recollection, responded in kind. Nor did he set up extermination camps. What he has done is actively worked against the use of WMD type stuff as long as he's been around, whether it was in his own faction or in others.

Also this:

Saint Freak posted:

I have ten thousand percent killed more beastmen than Gaius.

The WoL and our allies (looking at you, Maelstrom, especially) take no issue in violently disarming the beast tribes when necessary, so we're no better. Honestly the WoL may be the world's most dangerous WMD - he's like the US using the atom bomb on Japan - probably a war crime, but in the context, it tends to be seen as the lesser of two evils. In my mind, Gaius was much the same, usually choosing the route of less evil to pursue the goals he believed in.

Edit: I guess my main question would be - What is an irredeemable war crime on Hydaelyn, and has Gaius committed any such war crimes?

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 9, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

The thing with Gaius is I don't think there's any way he doesn't try and steer the Empire back to imperialist conquering and primal slaughtering the second the Ascians are out of the way

There is really no excuse for Gaius after seeing what he did to Ala Mhigo and how there's basically an entire generation of kids that were taught that their country deserves to be a miserable dirthole because their elders won't shut the gently caress up and accept imperial rule

Didn't he manage to capture Ala Mhigo with a minimum of bloodshed though? Through some plot? I don't remember the details. His actions as the viceroy of Ala Mhigo are the best argument so far for his irredeemablility though. I hadn't considered that he might be personally responsible for planning/directing the dehumanizing treatment of the Ala Mhigan people. Watch, we'll find out in the future that he opposed such actions, but he was overruled by the Emperor/Zenos and they try to present him as a repentant, responsibility accepting character (like a fictionalized version of Albert Speer or something? Someone that acknowledges they did something really bad and tries to make up for it in whatever way they can? I dunno man).

Given that the only other folks we have to compare him to in that role are two folks that literally became primals, he may be the best of the bunch, but that's not saying much in the context. Also who knows what he'd do after murdercating Ascians and freeing Garlemald from Ascian influence. He strikes me as someone that was a true believer because he wanted to protect his people (who had been rather oppressed in the past), not because of a thirst for conquest. He might sue for peace, especially if there was a big Garlean civil war, which seems like it could happen.

I'm not trying to be a video game war criminal apologist here (Edit - if the Eorzean Alliance can capture him and put him on trial, that'd be great and a really interesting plot point), but I find this conversation interesting as I have a feeling this is the way the narrative is going and I'm curious how they'll try to work around some of these bigger issues.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 9, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

The WOL never asked for this. (I really like this glam actually, but it just reminds me of DeusEx.)

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Almost got SAM to 70 and just got the ability that lets me convert sen to kenki. At first I was like this seems lame, but now I assume I want to be doing this as much as possible and hammering my oGCD stab rather than saving for midare to avoid the cast time? Does 70 SAM only midare when there are no other uses for the sen/kenki? I like big crits and I cannot lie, so if that's the case I'll be a little sad. But I'll stab nonetheless.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Thanks for the replies regarding SAM. How should I be using Meikyo? I generally use it to generate 3 more sen right after a midare, but I have a feeling that's not the best use of it.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Just hit 70 SAM. Went with the 'study the blade' glam for the 70 quest.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

I had a dream last night that they made Blue Mage available but since it is a class designed to be used at 80 it only had 3 abilities at 70, one equivalent to heavy shot, one self buff, and then you could choose any single cross class ability you wanted, but only one.

That.... would actually be a cool hearkening back to the old system in a way. If in addition to learning monster abilities, BLU also had the ability to lean into Tank/DPS/Healer roles a bit more by using cross class abilities (given that they don't exist anymore). If they only got one it wouldn't be very much, but say you can pick three overall, but each one had to be from a different class. FoF, Defiance, TBN, here I come.

One can dream about BLU tanks.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
You can't pick the same ability 3 times, and you have to pick an ability that exists. On the note of bygone abilities, what was DRK's dot back in SB. I remember loving the animation for it.

Edit: Reprisal - had a cool side to side swing that no other DRK weaponskill replicates.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 23, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Bring back scourge, then.

Edit:

As someone who plays a lot of different classes, but tends to main DRK these days, are there any thoughts so far on how they'll change dark arts moving forward or otherwise adapt DRK as it grows to 80? I like how busy DRK is with having to DA frequently and having a good number of oGCD abilities, but I'll admit I often miss things or let myself cap out on blood because I got too much poo poo going on.

I mained PLD back in ARR/HW, but switched because PLD is boring these days, never gets to MT, and sucks at holding threat compared to DRK/WAR. I'll admit PLD may still be the durability monster it always was, with the best cooldowns and the shield adding a significant amount of always on mitigation, but the sacrifices for it compared to DRK/WAR just don't seem to be worth it.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 23, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Countblanc posted:

also just call the drat gunblade job "Soldier", its a hundred times better than "Gunblader" lol

Magitek Knight or bust.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Also note that it doesn't give YOU a barrier, only everyone else in your party (so 3/7 people if within range). Use it before big partywide attacks and trigger it with a clemency if you have the downtime and a healer isn't also going to throw up barriers/regens to trigger it.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
It's literally just <2>. My lazy verraise macro that will just res the first dead person on the list for when I play RDM (never anymore) is:
code:
/micon "Verraise"
/macroerror off
/ac "Verraise" <t>
/ac "Verraise" <1>
/ac "Verraise" <2>
/ac "Verraise" <3>
/ac "Verraise" <4>
/ac "Verraise" <5>
/ac "Verraise" <6>
/ac "Verraise" <7>
On the note of fun RDM macros, save yourself a button and combine Jolt and Impact:
code:
/macroicon "impact"
/macroerror off
/ac "Impact" <t>
/ac "Jolt" <t>
Edit:
code:
/micon "Shirk"
/ac "Shirk" <2>
Will use it on the person second on your pt list
code:
/micon "Shirk"
/ac "Shirk" <tt>
Will cast on target of target which should be main tank

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 30, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Wouldn't that Jolt combo button mean you can't press it in advance and thus hurt your DPS?

You'd think so, but I've never had any issues with it. Which is weird because I've had other macros trying to do similar poo poo fail horribly or lag/delay or do other nonsense crap.

Edit: Be advised I'm not a savage raider or anything, and routinely have good latency, so I could be mistaken, but I've literally never had any issues with it at all.

Edit2: Going back and testing it - you're right, you can't like queue it up a half second before the GCD comes round, but it works with the way I play RDM. I jam the macro button while waiting for the GCD to come round, then tap the dualcast verthunder/veraero during the animation. I doubt it hurts my dps much, if at all with the way I play, but If you're more of a finesse player or have bad latency it may not work so well.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 30, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Hit 70 MCH. Enjoy the class though I'm pretty bad at it. Made a glam. Like the glam. Used /gpose. Still not great with /gpose.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Monathin posted:

DRK using TBN on me is fine, it's when I get Cover'd that I feel personally shamed.

When I'm on PLD and I know there's a big pack spawn coming up (like near the end of the Aery, for instance), I'll throw cover on the healer (who almost always has regens running) and just let all the mobs come to them instead of running around to gather them up, so sometimes cover is a matter of convenience.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Me trying to be polite but also really loving SAM AoE:

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Something I'd been mulling over as a complete speculative possibility with the BLU reveal, in relation to Dancer and Gunblade is - what if they made them so they they can function as DPS and as healer/tanks (I can't shake the feeling that we should get classes for each role for some reason). Like make them have a stance/oath/sect/whatever, but when they use it it actually shifts their access to role actions / queue availability. GUN can function as a tank or DPS, and DNC can function as a healer or DPS. Make it only shiftable in towns or something and you have a solution ala multiple talent specs in WoW that allow you to undertake multiple roles with the same class (not sure if this is still a thing in WoW, but it was when I last played back in Wrath).

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
As I said, complete speculation, but something that I thought would be neat. They very well many not, but designing things that way would still be less work than doing three other classes beyond the BLU solo class. It would cut out the need to design a whole extra set of animations / gear / class quests. Balance might be hard at first, but balance tends to be wacky for the first few patch cycles after an expansion anyways, and that's just tinkering with numbers - it doesn't require art assets, animations, writers and all of the other labor that really brings a class to life in FFXIV.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Freefall - the piece from phase 2 of Final Steps, is my favorite HW composition and may be my favorite piece from the entire game. Nice to see someone else also feels that way.

Edit: The Ascian theme used to be a fav of mine as well, but its lost some of its appeal as it is used as NM music in Eureka.

RE: AV chat - yeah, running it with your squad is ideal, but if you get it in LDR, just sack up, make the best of it, and try not to be a dick. I had a LDR a while ago when leveling NIN where I had to coach a sprout tank and healer pair through AV, and it went pretty well if only because they were both willing to learn and listened when I explained things. I got 3 comms on NIN in AV for my efforts.

Edit: Not to say we didn't wipe a few times to the first room and Coincounter, but it happens.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 25, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Azubah posted:

I know Estinien gives you poo poo for being a dragoon leading up to HW and you have to have an active healing job to be yelled at by Krile after the Zeno attack on Rhalgr's Reach.

I think even as a RDM Krile yells at you saying something like, "Can't you heal too, dumbass?'

Kodilynn posted:

I took DRK to 61 then abandoned it in favor of WAR. Even PLD got boring but I'm so close to 70 on WAR as of last night and I've enjoyed the living hell out of it. I can't peg it as to whether DRK requires effort to do it right and people just can't "get gud" or if it's just a weaker tank class as most of the groups i either dps or heal for that a DRK is the tank it tends to be a lot more work for healing.

DRK is a very good tank but I feel like the skill floor is higher for DRK than for PLD or WAR. So bad DRKs are easier to pick out than in the other tanking roles. WAR has several buttons they can push in a reactonary manner to be like 'need health'. PLD can heal themselves if needed or just hit the invincibility button. DRKs biggest tool of that sort is TBN, which means making sure they have enough mp to do so and knowing when to use it, because it's only up for like 7 seconds. To make the best use of TBN you really need to know the fights already, and good TBN use (edit: and MP/blood management) is what separates mediocre DRK players from great ones that are really easy to heal.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 27, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
In SdB, I have a feeling the blood gauge will be what fuels dark arts for DRK, given that they're combining TP and MP. Just the combination of those two is going to require a decent rework for DRK and PLD, since they both use MP and TP for different phases / things. Removing dark arts entirely would change the feeling of DRK too much, though I do think they've said they want to try to have it used less often, to cut down on DRK john maddening (we're not MCHs).

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Nope. I played RDM throughout SB and never got that scene.

Forgive me, I made it through Rauhban EX relatively early (on RDM), and it's been a while, so I may have misremembered it. I may have just been thinking 'I can heal..."

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

The WoL has:
  • Been involved in approximately three and a half wars by now
  • Been at ground zero of Serious poo poo(tm) in them
  • - Twice
  • -- In two different wars even

Wars: The Invasion of Eorzea in 1.X, Dragonsong War, Liberation of Ala Mhigo, Liberation of Doma (the half war?)

Serious poo poo: Fall of Dalamud / Bahamut / the Calamity, and the Final Steps of Faith?

Just trying to see what you're referring to by these - because even some of the lesser magnitude stuff that doesn't make the list could have been really harrowing to most folks (and you touch on a lot of that in your other points), but to me the worst thing is even though the WoL has been at ground zero for so many horrible catastrophes and battles, they literally can't save everyone. They can and do save tons of people, but the people they couldn't save from Nidhogg, Bahamut, Zenos, Gaius, Thordan, all of the primals, the Ascians, et al., are the thing that would really stick in my craw. I choose to believe that's the weight the WoL is carrying in the SB2 trailer, and why they look so ragged before getting stepped on by a Kuribu (which'll perk up anyone, I guess).

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I'm not sure on that and that's one reason I tried to list out what I thought were the wars and ground zeros, because I could easily be forgetting something obvious. There's a lot of heavy poo poo the WoL's been through even since 2.0.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Renegret posted:

I wouldn't mind standing in one place grinding mobs if I could do it solo. It's a netflix mechanic, and I have a high tolerance for that anyway considering the number of F2P Korean MMOs I played in my college days.

Since it's group content however, I have no idea how you're expected to actually get your relic once 5.0 drops and nobody does Eureka anymore.

I solo grind mobs all the time in Eureka for light, logos, or to prep NMs when I can't get a light party - it's not that difficult in Aenemos and Pagos, and is downright brainless with certain logos in Pyros. I pretty much went from 20-30 or so when you can actually be effective in the pagos NM train (whenever you get the NW aetheryte) by doing my challenge logs myself or by picking up 1-2 others and just killing stuff. It's not optimal, but it is possible and it does very much hearken back to the pre-WOW MMO vibe.

I'll admit some classes solo better than others, and you have to pick what you're going to fight carefully, but it's really not as hard as you're painting it to be. Eurekan potions are a wonderful tool for soloing, as is the buff you get from elementals. All of the tanks solo very well, as does SMN and SAM. RDM and SCH are a bit harder but still not that bad. Haven't tried soloing on any other classes.

DizzyBum posted:

I'm kinda over the whole "Eureka is bad, Eureka is fine" tug-of-war. It's there, it's 100% optional, and enough people like doing it that they're continuing it to its conclusion. And they'll almost certainly relax the overall progression curve in 5.0, given their usual strategy with old relics.

This. I avoided Eureka for a long time due to the negativity from Goons, and when I tried it I found I actually kind of enjoyed it (not to mention it loving rains genesis once you get on the NM train). If you don't care for it, that's fine, but a lot of folks do it either because they like it or they like the rewards. I'm having more fun in Pyros trying to get a better roll on my relic or in pagos trying to work up a second relic than I am running poop dungeon for the 50th time, and because I still easily max out my tomes for the week.

Once SB2 drops, they'll either buff exp gain even more or relax relic requirements or both.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Kuvo posted:

Nothing means nothing!
Nothing mean nothing, man.
I'm talking about all the way to the top, yeah. I'm justifiably in a position that I'd rather not be in. But the cream will rise to the top, ooh yeah. Omega Madness, yeah has got more to offer than Warrior of Light thinks that I got yeah and let me tell you something right now, cards stacked against the Alien Superweapon Omega and Omegascape V.3.0 let me say it yeah, let me say it out loud and let me point TO THE WARRIOR OF LIGHT AND HERO OF EORZEA, The Alien Superweapon Omega is not happy with your decision, yeah. I am the cream in the Aetherial Rift and there is no doubt about it, yeah, you Warrior Of Light you know that I'm the cream of the crop!

For those not in the know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4lK41SX-Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm too jaded to expect this, so I'll just say that I hope Shadowbringers doesn't have a boss theme of a leitmotif that shows up wearily often in field zones and dungeons.

Dear lord this. I am so tired of the Stormblood leitmotif. I don't know why the Heavensward leitmotif and recurrent ARR themes never got under my skin, but I think HW especially was just a lot more subdued or worked into pieces as an undertone, where in Stormblood the leitmotif tends to be more of a main focus. There are what, at least 6-7 tracks now where the Stormblood leitmotif plays a prominent role? Probably more?

SB Boss theme
Shinryu theme
Ala Mhigan anthem (which would probably be considered the OG tune)
Ala Mhigo dungeon theme
SB field battle theme
Ghimlyt Dark theme

Those are the ones that come to me right off the top of my head as featuring the leitmotif in more than a subtle undertone role.