Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Klewer posted:

rip my class. other class got buffed but my class got nothing. loving SE doesn't know how to balance their own game. my class players are hosed yet again. Great JOb!!!

On the other hand, Hasty Touch II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

As a WHM Main I'm mostly annoyed that its new mechanics are just dumb and boring and I will literally have no difference between playing White Mage at 70 than I did at 60.

Well, other than weaving Fluid Aura into Aero casts. I liked doing that. :smith:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zaphod42 posted:

I think Astrologians were complaining? I don't play AST so I didn't really pay much mind to it.

AST's are wisely not complaining since they're now the best healers in the game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Choyi posted:

Even single target of SCH was nerfed, remember that they lost a whole 40 potency dot and only gained 20 potency on ruin/broil to compensate. There is never a reason to bring a SCH over WHM or AST for anything now, its the 3.x PLD of the healers.

Chain Strategem is stupid good.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I bet the sequence is some Ala Mhigo stuff, then go to Doma, then back to Ala Mhigo.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This is a first.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wow PVP is really fun now.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Darth Walrus posted:

So, I'm a relative rookie player who's been manning a Summoner (because c'mon, this is Final Fantasy). What's Stormblood going to change for me?

Cons: You lost a DoT and your AOE is nerfed.

Pros: You can summon Bahamut.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

UHD posted:

I can deal with being cockblocked by Elder Primal Raubahn, I'll just level other stuff in the interim.

... maybe, 'cause the leveling queue says "30+ minutes" and I hope to hell it's wrong.

Do PVP to level if dungeon queues are taking too long.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Raiad posted:

Put Tanaka back in charge, I bet this wouldn't have happened under his watch

Having to camp a dozen rare monsters for a rare drop to progress each story quest would have kept the instances use low yes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Subbz posted:

The main thing I'm worried about is will there be any dungeon or duty stuff that I'll miss if I continue with my old character? I suppose it won't matter because I can always go back with other jobs for lower level stuff.

No that's not possible.

And the game now has a "Next Story Quest Here" button

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Jinh posted:

yeah it doesn't seem like they fully mathed that bit out, your melee damage is gigantic so being able to get into it faster is a big deal. it's basically only useful for your first opener of a dungeon though, since it requires you starting at 0/0 and doing a finisher move puts you up 21 of one type.

It's also probably a bug and will be patched out soon

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm learning that as rdm, you have to be hella careful about using your melee combo on players, because they can just run away into their team blob and your choices are to run into your certain death trying to finish the combo, or bugging out and swallowing the fact that you just spent 75 mana on one hit

That's why you dash in and hit them with the Heavy inducing attack Flunge first.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Minrad posted:

That's a pretty fair nerf when Scholars could beat some actual dps classes on aoe in dungeons,

To be fair, White Mage has always been able to smash actual DPS when doing AOE Holyspam. Yet it's aoe wasn't nerfed.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think the most shocking thing I've learned recently is that Koji Fox is his actual name.

Like, his dad was a soldier stationed in Japan, gave his son a Japanese middle name, and his last name is in fact Fox.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

UHD posted:

Gonna go with this. SAM is pretty weeaboo, right down to the special attacks that start with the katana sheathed because anime.

It's not "because anime" but because it's an actual Japanese martial art.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaijutsu

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Harrow posted:

Their abilities are clearly fueled by magic in FFXIV (hence the ice effects on some of them) so just think of sheathing your sword as an aid in concentrating your magical abilities or something.

Everybody's abilities are fueled by magic in FFXIV.

That's why every attack has these flashy particle effects, that's the Aether being used.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Also chemist had better be the next healer. Mixing chemicals to make buffs and shooting potion at people in big globs with my chemical cannon needs to happen.

Excuse me but Dancer needs to be the next healer. :colbert:

Seriously though, any new healer needs to be something other than another flavor of spellcaster.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Reiterpallasch posted:

melee-range healers, even melee-damage-range healers, would break a lot of existing fight design. the distance-based plumes in lakshmi that force the healers to run to outer space to not die would be impossible to handle on dancer, for example.

The answer to this is to give the Dancer some ranged attacks.

Like, they can just make them pseudo-magical by having a ranged dance combo. Heck, maybe something like the melee attack does less healing but more damage, while the ranged ones do more healing but less damage.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

I have never, ever seen a black mage using Fire 2 on a single target. In fact I often see the exact opposite, where black mages use their single target spells in a massive pull.

Oh you fortunate soul.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

WhiteHowler posted:

I kind of hated the twist on that last story bit though. Tossing Nidhogg's eyes off a bridge is the fantasy equivalent of leaving an old sofa on the side of the road and being surprised when it disappears.

To be entirely fair, The abyss the bridge is suspended over is apparently a massive endless storm of wind aspected aether, so anything trying to go down there gets torn to shreds.

Ascians cheat, basically.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tenacity seems to be bugged because it's effects seem to be negligible to non-existent.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

WrightOfWay posted:

It's not bugged, it just scales worse than Det, which is pretty much what everyone expected. Every ~200 Tenacity increases damage dealt/reduces damage taken by 1% and every ~180 Determination increases damage dealt by 1%.

I had heard it was 1000 Tenacity to get 1% more damage?

Plus, I thought that it being tank locked would make it scale better. Or at least enough to make stacking it worth while.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cythereal posted:

Then the matter is summarily dropped and the fact that the whole thing is LL's fault is never mentioned again outside Titan's summoning cutscene.

It's brought up again, actually, mid 3.4, when Alphinaud entreats the Kobold Priest to stop summoning TItan and try and talk things out, he goes "Oh really? So they can break another treaty?"

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sinteres posted:

I could be wrong, but I thought the idea was more that Limsan encroachments were actually pushing them out of their spawning grounds, and that they couldn't just surrender them due to necessity so the conflict wasn't going to end as long as the Limsans didn't go away. Maybe I missed something though.

Nah it's the former, this is brought up if you do the Sahagin Beast Tribe quests.

Random fact: The treaty with the Kobolds was actually signed because the Sahagin had summoned Leviathan and used it to wipe out a village and take their current spawning grounds.

Limsa Lominsa is honestly barely held together, I think the only thing keeping the majority of the pirates in the country under control is the fact that they can play privateer with Garlean ships.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Argas posted:

It's a mix. Essentially, if they piss of the Elementals, the forest will reject them. It did so to the Ixals in the past and the Gelmorrans lived underground rather than incur their wrath. Getting along with the Elementals means doing whatever they ask you to. They find a balance with the demands placed upon them and usually don't try to push boundaries because it risks loving up their entire civilization. This comes up as an underlying story point in the leatherworker quests. They have to make do with what little material they can get their hands on because the city doesn't let hunters hunt too much. It's not that the Elementals have set a quota or anything, but the fear that they will be punished if they push too hard.

They revere nature because they're terrified of what happens if they don't.

This is also why Poaching gets a death sentence in Gridania.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

some of the actual 50 dungeons are okay, but considering we spent around 3-4 years at this point with our level 50 abilities, losing them feels really bad. i've been running like 5-6 lldrs a day and it's so aggravating.

This is why Scholar is my LLDR For Tomestones class of choice. if I do get a pre-50 dungeons, at least I'll be able to make it go by faster by being a third DPS effectively.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Shy posted:

Is Excalibur garbage for everyone else right now?

Yup.

Had an entire LLDR crash out.

Granted, it was Tam-Tara so not great loss.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I fail to see a problem that can be fixed by adjusting potencies means the job is "fundamentally bromen"

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i can't wait for the cap to be way worse than 270 gear so nothing changes

Honestly even if the cap is worse it's still better in the long run.

Also if Fending accessories have literally half the STR as Slaying accessories then they'd still have around 65 STR at 320 iLvl. Which a mere 13 points less than the 270 accessories.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So looking at Excogitation's changes, is there any reason that Scholar's shouldn't just slap this down on the tank on cooldown?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Reiterpallasch posted:

incidentally, the new quickened aetherflow implementation is actually kind of a significant buff to dissipation, which is really funny once you think about the idea of dropping 9 lustrates in like 15 seconds

Is there any point in the game where this much healing would even be useful?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

If they were going to stick with V throughout I don't think they'd have used Exdeath so early.

Personally I'm hoping for an VIII themed Omega segment. Edea (or possibly Seifer), Adel, Griever and Ultimecia seem like they'd make good raid bosses.

Personally I bet the next tier will be either FF4 themed with the Four Fiends, Golbez, and Zeromus, or FFVII themed with the WEAPONs and Sephiroth.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Thundarr posted:

I think it was less trying to do something specific and more "gently caress everyone".

At most, more evidence that the 12 can't actually be summoned as primals.

Of course, there's also the entire question of If The Twelve are even real and not just mythology themselves. But either way, if you did summon one of The Twelve as a Primal, it would just be a Primal taking on the form of one of them, rather then the actual deity (again, if they actually exist.)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah pretty much. And 12 worship is so old no one can say anything beyond what the mythology says.

At least with Shiva, Bahamut and Garuda we know about them in reality. The 12 are a magnitute older than all of them.

Yeah, Twelve Worship was a thing at least as far back as the Third Astral Era.

I mean, nothing's actually been said one way about it in the game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rascyc posted:

Most importantly it stops her from moving constantly if you're moving for something. Eos will prioritize moving over healing so you can drop a lot of healing accidentally if you are a bit schizophrenic with your movements. The fairy is immune to a lot of aoe damage but not everything so you can kind of abuse this with a lot of experience.

Wouldn't this also apply to the Summoner's Pets?

Would that solve the problem of Bahamut moving every 5 seconds?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'd already beaten that prick twice so him getting so royally owned was good.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Ascians are so dull and identikit baddies that killing Lahabrea/Nabriales/Igesomething doesn't make much difference either way.

Huh? Each Ascian we've dealt with has had been fairly distinct in personality, even if they're all not super deep.

I mean, FFXIV loves to toss in bits of shades of gray but there's always the cackling pure evil Ascians ready to try and destroy the world.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

RME posted:

!Dualcast is one of the strongest abilities in FFV, so even if !Red falls off too hard in the long run you have to remember fiesta was never really the intended path for the game and other mages with !Dualcast are incredible
im not really sure what !red would need to get to have more legs but not just supplant !black though
access to fourth tier !white would be nice though

Letting Red Mage have Level 4 Magic would be enough imo to let it be usable the whole game normally. Bio is twice as strong as the -ra Spells and having Shell, Blink, and Esuna would be useful. Come endgame and doublecast will make up for lack of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FortMan posted:

Also this on Developers' blog:
FFXIV as Shoujo Manga.

I want this to be real.