Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Haha, must have mixed something up when I was skimming. I feel like *somebody* was complaining... scholar? I always mix up AST and SCH. They're non-WHM healers... same thing!

Except that SCH is trash now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Even single target of SCH was nerfed, remember that they lost a whole 40 potency dot and only gained 20 potency on ruin/broil to compensate. There is never a reason to bring a SCH over WHM or AST for anything now, its the 3.x PLD of the healers.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
1,540 in que

After I got booted once due to server login error.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
World transfer is supposed to be up now right? But it still gives me "unavaliable due to maintance" message.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Dwesa posted:

Well, it was scheduled to be available around certain time.

Just making sure I'm not getting the wrong information on when its supposed to be available, since the sooner I get off this 240+ms latency the better. I just want to be able enjoy the game again :negative:

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's Red Mage's gimmick?

Fancy hats?

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
This has been one of the worst early access/expac launch experiences I've personally played trough so far.
As if the server issues and pushback of the transfers(and lack of any further information on delays until hours after deadlines) wasn't bad enough, now friends are stuck in transfer limbo and cant access their characters with no support available due to weekend.
"Mad about servers!" and all but S-E really dropped the ball hard on this one.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

only 20k more MGP until i get ditch the shield for the invisible one

You can buy an invisible shield from pvp(cost equal to 1 frontline roullete), if you want to save on mgp.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
As I mostly queue as tank for anything not pre-made I view Protect being cast a sign from the healer; "We're good to start the run bud!" to me, without requiring any typing, else I'll just stand around awkwardly and waste a good 40sec of everyone's time as I take it that they healer either is not ready, maybe still loading in fully, waiting on CDs, IRL aggro, DCing or other.

I don't care for having the buff or not in casual content but I don't want to run ahead until I'm sure at least the healer is good to go, or run off when I think they won't cast protect because "reasons" and then be annoyed with me as I missed the cast.

A good idea could be to just open up with a macroed "I'm ready, no protect slotted, just go" or something if you don't want to slot it, since at least then we can begin the run with minimal time waste.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Is Mog EX still fun or boring now

Go in unsycned lvl70 with a tank(just to keep away the kings MP drain cleave) and a WHM.
Whitemage can just spam holy/assize/aero3 until all they all died enough times that you can burn the king down well before the final memento moogle is cast.
Fight takes roughly a minute this way.

But its easily doable unsynced with a duo or trio using most class combos with decent enough AoEs to burn down and ignore all mechanics.
I find it a fun time to just stomp them all down with Holy casts etc but YMMV. :D

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
One big reason to level crafters is so that you can repair ur own gear, meld ur own materia and be able craft ur own crap.
You can make some money with it but like others already said there are more reliable and easier ways to go for gil.

Gatherers is something I always enjoyed just because its so chill to do, and sure that can also net some money if you know what is in demand etc, it helps to have em leveled for when you level crafters but you can make do without them if you so wish.

Also getting into crafting can be very addictive and fun though, its a game of its own and easy to get carried away with.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
DNC healer and BLU tank would be real kickass additions.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have no idea why they would choose this of all the Hard Mode dungeons to run with Squadron, but I don't feel like it works too well.

I assume it may have to do with that copper HM is one of the more unpopular dungeons where many people just drop out as soon as they get it in the 50-60 roullete, it is a kinda lovely dungeon after all so.
On related note, did they nerf squadron DPS? At least npc archer dps seems weaker now then before.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
As someone who played FFXI it took me couple years to get into WoW and play it to any bigger degree, mainly cause nearly none of my friends liked it at the time, and playing it solo was just an awful experience grinding lovely quests with with barely any context and no real story to the world other then "look, look! this is warcraft ya'll!" and a huge chunk of WoW players felt very hostile and selfish in what little group content you could get into.

Having said that, to me (back in the day) WoW didn't feel like this huge improvement over FFXI, and the things WoW did innovate in the genre I personally didn't feel was worth it over what it lacked that XI had (mainly story, music, graphics and a good community).

Both are very lovely games in today's standards (and even 10 years ago standard) due to their archaic systems, but back then people still played because they where the best we got and also for some; by the time new more modern stuff came out you already had so much time invested in them that it was hard to jump ship.
That and having good in game friends is what made both games last way longer then they otherwise would have.

Now that being said, what the hell where devs thinking wasting time on garbage content that even remotely mimics that era? Then again WoW classic servers is a thing and was apparently heavily requested so what do I know?

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

It's the money cost and I have more health then the caster in our group. I shouldn't be dying if they aren't yet this keeps happening.

Casters may have higher magic defense then you, why they live and you don't, other dps sometime require more hp to survive the same attack then healers or casters due to that.
If money is an issue then just find a cheap food that gives a lot of VIT and use that for practice, or just meld VIT materia in couple slots.
If you'r dead the crit/direct hit melds u would be replacing with VIT won't do any good.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Stormblood 8man raids and trials both have been the high points for me in the expansion, also SAM and RDM wasn't as much fun after some extended play with the jobs as they first seemed.
So to each their own I suppose!

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Most efficiant thing to do as newbie in eureka is prob just find a fate party asap and try get to them without dying to often, then stick with the group (strenght in numbers) and pay attention so u don't end up dead away from the crowd.
If possible go on a class that can raise (red mage aka rezzmage is popular for this reason) and then more or less be a raise bot, tag bosses once for credit but don't bother wasting mp on dps if you aren't within 5-6 levels of em, you wont deal any worthwhile damage and mp is better spent on ressing.
You won't get any exp from regular mobs in fate groups due to level differences and you will level soley out of the exp from the FATE bosses.

After 20 or so hours of brainless FATE grinding you may be high enough level to contribute much as a dps/tank or healer, but don't be disappointed that you are more or less leeching exp until that point, just try to be as usefull as possible, Eureka is what it is and fun is something its for the most part isn't.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I see people all the time who come in mounted(and stay mounted), don't bother killing any mobs to help spawn (even if they are some of the only high levels ones and could greatly speed up killing by participating) who once the NM does spawn poke it once and then go back to afk and remount to afk at next spot.

Happens a lot that people just go into full leech mode, cause someone else probably will do the work for them, its normal behavior in MMOs even if it may be annoying as hell to see occurring time and time again.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Could always re-meld if you going to change what class you main for moment, materia is cheaper then ever atm so not much excuse not too.

I personally hate playing BLM without maxed SS, and even with it sometimes you get screwed over anyways so.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Does make me slightly worried that the next vocal minority they listen to for gear additions would be some poo poo like "schoolgirl swimsuits" for lalafell or something equally disturbing, but im still going to try keep enough faith in dev team to not stoop that low.
Not to mean that this is equal to it or something silly like that, just that afaik it was a very vocal few who requested the feature, I for one welcome bunny outfits for the male catgirls and lizard gokus.

So any word on when next patch is from the latest news?

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Solitair posted:

All my tank sets are yellow when I can dye them. I color-code my gear by suffix (fending, striking, etc.) because I level everything and I wanted to keep better track of them in my armory chest.

My sets are color coded too, blue for tank, red for dps and green for healer, since that's the colors the roles have in the party icons :D
Exception being that ranged dps is pink and casters are purple, because i figured they wear different stuff and well are different from melee.

Choyi fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 9, 2018

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
This weeks reset I did one hour of eureka, one run of sigma 8n for weekly token, one 70 dungeon roulette and one alliance raid roulette and I was capped.
I barely ever run this set of EXDR, at most I've ran it once or twice per reset, but lately haven't ran it at all, there are so many other ways to get capped on weekly tomes these days and I like to try keep my in game activities varied.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I'd also recommend at least one combat based retainer, preferably set it as same class as your main so you can keep it geared with hand-me-downs. Also if I'm not mistaken retainers cannot get higher level in a class then what you are?

Despite how good it may sound on paper, gathering retainers aren't as useful as one may think, I have 6 retainers myself (yes I'm a gear hoarder ), two of which are set as gatherers and I barely ever send them out on anything specific, while my combat retainers are kept busy running ventures 24/7.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
For me they just need to make DRK more unique and fun, since SB I feel it plays the worst out of the 3 tanks.
Not sure about how the job balance is, main issue I'm having with the job is that it feels rather unrewarding and dull to play compared to both WAR and PLD.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

LethalGeek posted:

That's so rare cause generally I'm tanking 10 mobs and trying not to die.

Que together with a trusted healer, (preferably a white mage for those sweet holy stuns) rotate defensive CDs as needed and then just enjoy the carnage. I do this in any dungeon that allows big pulls and its a blast! :D

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I actually wish there was more reason to run roulette's besides the first 2 days of a reset because you cap so quickly. I really do enjoy the variety of content it offers just hard to convince friends to keep queuing with me for fun soon as they got their weekly tomes and solo queuing is scary to me.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
For leveling I'd just stick with the daily LLDR for it, maybe running the highest available dungeon if I wanted to level it faster beyond that, and once past lv50-52 I barely ever run any roulette for exp and just go with the HW beastmen and hunt dailies for easy quick exp gains.
If you decide to powerlevel something then its on you and just gotta realize what you're in for and suck it up with that decision. Plenty of ways to level easily with minimal time spent per day if you keep it casual as long you aren't in a rush to get multiple levels a day.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Unless you are playing a hardcore top of the line raider or want to play on a another server for whatever reasons, I really don't see the appeal of ever making alts in a game when the same char can play every class, not having to make alts to experience the full game is one of the selling points for me.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Both BLM and NIN used to have "immunity" skills, they removed/changed them since it was hilariously unbalanced in certain encounters, it was basically a "skip next mechanic" button.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Being like 7 or 8 wins away from the 100 wins achievement for the gorilla mount, I kinda wish Astrogalos wasn't 100% dead since 4.2 hit( I once was half-afk in queue for 4hours and no pop), if at least they could put it in a roulette/add daily super bonus or something similar to make the queue pop at least once in a blue moon.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Cythereal posted:

To be fair, when are video game flamethrowers fun? They're always super short ranged, eat ammo like a fat kid eats lalafell, and that ammo is always super rare.

There is definitely games with cool and fun flamethrower mechanics, like the drakefire flamethrower that the dwarf can use in Vermintide 2 comes to mind.

As for FFXIV, I play nearly every class and enjoy them all to some extent, except for machinist that is, I just can't seem to find any fun about the class that I can't get on others with much less hassle.

Come to think of it, all the HW jobs are at the bottom of the classes for me, with mch being the lowest by far.
I'm happy they did so much better with the new SB jobs and I hope they look to redesign the HW jobs to be as much fun and interesting in a future patch or expansion .

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Just doing both the daily 3rd rank hunt bill for Kugane and Ishgard is 150 seals a day for just hunting down 10 or so targets, really is low effort and fairly quickly done, also decent exp for any alt class in level range.
I wouldn't bother doing ALL the daily hunt bills (1st 2nd rank bill are just 2 and 5 seals or so per target compared to the 15 per for the 3rd ranks), or at least not for the seals alone, its not bad if ur doing it for exp however.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Eureka as endgame is a big part of what killed my interest in the game after finishing the story. I'll probably come back when there's more new story and dungeons to chew on.

Eureka isn't end game tho? I'd say its side content if anything, end game would be the actual raids and ex primals.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Cythereal posted:

It's what to do at endgame if you don't care about raids and ex primals, along with leveling other classes and beast tribes.

Well then there is still the lvl70 dungeons, the newly released "Heaven on High" and 24mans to do which gives the same rewards or better then eureka does.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Is it generalizing if drat near every male roe player I've met (including myself) is a gay male?

My gay male friends all play Miqo'te in game and its tied between the genders. Last time someone I knew played a male roe was early ARR, I encounter way more femroes then male ones these days.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, it's good to know there's no reason to not just get the Ironworks stuff now. Hopefully it looks reasonably cool, though it might be nice to have something that looks a bit less silly than my current ninja clothes. It feels goofy being dressed like a ninja and having the Doma refugee lady think nothing of the fact that the Warrior of Light is randomly a practitioner of the ~arts~. Like she comments on Thancred's knife-fighting while I'm over here using my jutsus.

The idea of being promoted in the military by just giving them a bunch of equipment is funny. Like someone goes to the US Army and is like "yo here's some guns" and they nod and make you a Major.

The level 60 Ironworks looks quite silly, but some people like it so YMMV, but either way glamour is your best friend and the true end game.
Just find an outfit you like looks wise and just paste it over the visuals of what ur currently wearing.
Some pure glamour clothes can be found on auction thats lvl1 to equip for example, there is also some pvp gear that looks pretty drat cool as well as various 4man dungeon unique loot and level 50 crafted pieces.
Definitely check out the glamour dresser too, its great for storing and making outfits.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Other jobs. Do you roll alts when you want to make another class, or do you just unlock the job for your main and level it up?

Leveling new classes and jobs on the same character is both more efficient and convenient then rolling a new character, for one you do get stages of exp bonuses(armory bonus) for lower level classes as you progress ur main.
Meanwhile an alt character would require you to unlock everything again, be it mounts, main story progress, dungeons, fast travel, riding speed etc.

There is many ways to level up alt classes, the first 15ish levels are the "slowest" since its easiest to just solo FATEs, do hunt logs, class quests etc. Once you are at the level of dungeons then running the daily leveling roulette is best exp/h, then once the daily is done the highest level dungeon available to that class, there is also PotD (range for it best for lvls 25-50), squadron dungeons(unlocks later with your grand company) or pvp for those that like that (lvl30 and up).

Best suggestion is to stick with a main class you feel is fun until at least level 50 where more and more options for levels and bonus exp opens up. Leveling up any class until level 10-12 is quick and takes about 1h or so tops if you want to check out others, but keep in mind most classes don't get their real stuff until level 30 or 40 and can be misleading as how they would play at higher levels(honestly the low level experience is garbage for most classes and should be reworked).

Only reason to ever roll an alt char is if you need a character to play with friends on another server and don't want to transfer, or if you want to play another race without changing ur main by using fantasia.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Safeword posted:

How do tanks play, anyway? Are they like Wow where you hammer half a dozen mobs at once?

As how tanks play; in dungeons you gather as big amount mobs you and the party are comfortable with at one time, establish aggro and then switch to going ham on the enemies with as much aoe damage abilities and skills you can while simultaneously rotating defensive CDs to stay alive.

Tanking is great fun, although at lower levels before you have all the tools(tank stance etc) it can be very frustrating to hold aggro, but don't let that discourage you, like many have said before tanking gets a lot easier the higher level you are.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Leal posted:

Oh god, going through HW and something has sunk in my heart: Needing to do all the sidequests so I can fly in each zone, meaning I can't just power through the HW content.

Or just skip on flying if its an alt character, if any zone needs flying to unlock additional content(barely a handful of dungeons far as i remember) then just have a friend ferry you there on a two seater mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Note that if you live in EU, I'd highly recommend the Eu servers, since the NA servers are all the way on the west coast nowadays and lagg can become a severe issue for how you will be able to enjoy the game in a lot of the later content, and some classes can be more or less unplayable with high ping.