Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Xarlaxas posted:

I've heard good things about the iBook versions of their rules, right now, however, I'm battling with the epub3 versions that the non-Apple plebs have to deal with: I can't find any way to read it comfortable on PC, and the apps that the GW Digital site suggest for use on android run slow/don't display things properly. :argh:

Try Readium. It's a chrome addon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Not a founding chapter, but Grey Knights could be the analogue to Thousand Sons. Just due to the psyker heavy nature of both chapters.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Think it'll cause any problems if I base my Ork nobs on 32s? They just feel way too big for 25s.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

If someone's overcharging plasma then they also have a 1/6 chance of their model getting deleted.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

This is reminding me of when I used to play MTG and people would claim things were bad because they "died to removal".

Turns out that yes, things can die. The most important part of the thing is how well it performs a function before it dies.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I've always wanted to get a Salamanders army, but they have a distinct, unique look fluffwise that isn't represented on the tabletop.

I want scale capes and flames, dammit.

A few unique kits like Blood Angels or Space Wolves get would be awesome, but I'd settle for an upgrade sprue that isn't Forgeworld.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Ork Warboss on BIke w/ Power Klaw
W7, 4A, 14" Move
4 S12 attacks hitting on 3+, -3 AP, d3 damage plus 2 attacks at S4, -1 AP, 1 damage

111 Points

Zhadsnark da Ripper
W8, 5A, 15" Move
5 S12 attacks hitting on 2+, -4 AP, d3 damage
Automatically Advances 6"

110 Points

Good job Forgeworld.

This isn't as bad as some of the other stuff they messed up.

Point costs are very similar, Zhadsnark misses out on an attack squig so actually nets one less attack, and Zhadsnark doesn't have the option of taking something like a Kombi-skorcha.

Main discrepancy is in the wound difference.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Zhadsnark gets 5 attacks that hit on a 2+ with a better AP. So on average he's doing 4.2 hits while the Warboss (who, again, costs more) is only doing 2.7. And then Zhadsnark does more against armor. I haven't read the rest to see what's worse, but it's still pretty bad.

Also the Big Mek in the list includes the rules for a KFF but doesn't actually have one.

Your forgetting the two squig attacks. On average 1.6 will hit. Granted they don't wound as easily.

The ability to take something from the Shooty list shouldn't be discounted. You can fire both the Kombi-Skorcha and the dakkaguns. It actually gets funny with a big Mek on a warbike. Since you can take two Kombi-Skorchas and fire everything.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Stormboys are a neat kit, but obscenely expensive, even by GW standards. $25 for 5 models that you field in units of 30 is too rich for my blood.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Funniest part is that the Reivers are min squads of 5, but come in boxes of 3

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Shapeways is one of them.

I have some Black Templar icons on the way

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

The ultramarine tactics are concerning. They are super good and it's easy to imagine GW loving the whole game up again with dogshit faction rules. They should have released chaos or deldar faction rules first to show they aren't planning on throwing those factions in the trash again this edition.

Pretty sure if GW had their way the game would just be smurfs fighting each other.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Just finished up this guy. I got the Goff Rockers for two reasons. First is that they're friggin sweet. Second is that the Weirdboy model is hard to find and I don't like it much. So this is going to be a Weirdboy on the table.

Since the Rockers are shorter than the weirdboy model I decided I needed something for him to stand on.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

!Klams posted:

Can you guys help me again please? I don't know wtf I'm doing.

I want to build an army that's two units of skitarii, one ranger one vanguard, each kitted out as much as is possible, lead by an hq of one tech marine, kitted out as much as possible. The tech marine can count as a tech priest, or a character, or whatever, whatever would work, but I already have the tech marine with full servo harness model only I modded a cyclone launcher onto him because I think they're cool.

Between codex cult mechanicus, codex skitarii and the rule book I can't really figure it out? I want to just put as many points into these guys as possible because I don't want to but more minis! Thanks!

You'll want to be using the Imperium 2 index. Unless you want to be playing 7th edition for some reason.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That grappling hook will be the perfect bit for Orks.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just got bamboozled by GW. I picked up a Razorback to specifically run an Assault Cannon on it. Turns out there isn't one in the box.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

SRM posted:

Yeah, I used the Land Raider Crusader sprue to put assault cannons on my Razorbacks. It kinda sucks but the only options in the codex when that model came out were heavy bolters and lascannons; they didn't even add back in the silly las/plas one til an edition or two later.

Yeah, the Crusader sprue is drat hard to find now.

I think I have some spare Terminator assault cannons lying around. I might test-fit those and hope they don't look too small.

It would be nice if they just made a new sprue with the rest of the options and put in the box, even if that resulted in the price going up.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Looks like some more of the Chapter Tactics got leaked out. Basically by people guessing the URL because GW already has them uploaded.

Edit: double-linked Iron Hands and forgot Imperial Fists

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 18, 2017

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Main thing that stopped me from previously starting Salamanders was that fluffwise they have a really cool and unique look that you can't really represent on the table. Outside of spending an obscene amount of money on Forge World.

This chapter tactic might make me look past that.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

You still have to be careful about Battlescribe though. There are some point and rule mistakes.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I think what rubs people the wrong way about Gulliman is the fact that he is the deus ex machina.

- <Imperium Army> is fighting against <enemy>
- <Imperium Army> is fighting valiantly, but losing despite using everything at their disposal
- Gulliman shows up and saves <Imperium Army> from certain defeat.

They could use it as a time to show off his tactical prowess; rerouting forces to assist, using astropaths to order a tactical retreat, etc..

Instead it's literally Jesus shows up just in time to singlehandedly save poo poo.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I doubt they'll ever make a Imperium civil war official. There will probably be friction, but not more than that.

They'd be too worried about making people mad by making their armies not work anymore.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

What do you mean 'not work'? As if the Traitor Legions have somehow stopped being able to fight despite 10k years without resupply?

It just makes it easier to fluff-justify every faction vs every faction.

I mean stuff like special snowflake Munistorum mixed with Space Marines and Guard artillery armies, or whatever.

If the civil war were to be Ecclesiarchy vs Gulliman then I'm sure someone, somewhere has a SoB with Ultramarines army that would stop being a legal army (if the war were translated to the tabletop)

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That weathering is fantastic.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Bee posted:

Q: If a model flees from an Adeptus Astartes unit, can an
Apothecary use its narthecium to return a model to the unit?
A: No, the narthecium can only be used to return slain
models to a unit.

Huh. That's an interesting distinction.

That's actually going to be kind of a pain to deal with. Have to keep track of each loss in every marine unit

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Where does it say that Stormboyz can deep strike?

Easy, just use Da Jump

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It really is an amazing power.

Only time I don't use it as a power on a Weirdboy is when I already have a Weirdboy with it as his power.

Something about catapulting a mob of 30 boyz or a full unit of Tankbustas into your opponent's back line is just too much fun to pass up.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

The best thing is when you have six kastellans in cover and they tank literally everything the enemy army throws at it, Then switch to shooting protocols and throw 108 str 8 -2ap shots down range from SIX models. Rerolling all failed hits of course because you took cawl and your a G.

I thought Kastelan's guns were only S6?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Zuul the Cat posted:

You should definitely get the box. My main complaint against vanguard and rangers is their range vs. mobility. With no transports, and their weapons only having Ap1 on 6's, they're just not that great for the points in my experience.

That being said, if you get a 10 man Ranger squads with 3 Transauranic Arquebus' and park them on a back field objective, you can terrify some enemy armies with their ability to snipe characters. Especially if you combine that with an Omnispex, which negates cover saves, and Cawl.

Don't knock the rangers too much. Their gun is a strictly better bolter on a cheaper body.

2 Arquebus' in a 5 man squad is solid as well. You can then put out 2 squads of 2 Arquebus each and have very good coverage.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

chutche2 posted:

Ironclad with a librarian seems pretty drat efficient to me.

Put might of heroes on that rear end in a top hat for a T9 S14 A5 dreadnought.

I think it would "only" be S13. You multiply, then add when considering strength buffs.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yeah, I know they work for some people. In my experience, they've been a waste of points. My Rangers have killed less than 5 guys in the entire time i've had them. I've just stopped taking them. Kataphron Destroyers are better.

I would hope they'd be better sqaud vs squad. ~220 points for 3 dudes vs 100 pts for 10 dudes

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Endman posted:

If I want some shooty marines in my Black Templar army, is it better to use a Tactical Squad or a Crusader Squad? At 10 dudes the options are almost the same.

Tactical Squads can split via Combat Squad while Crusader squads can't. But Crusader squads can pack a bunch of bolters via the neophytes. Even then you're only saving 20 points with a full 20-man crusader squad vs two 10-man tactical squads.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

ThreeLefts posted:

Crusaders can also get an additional special/heavy compared to a tactical, You can go Plasma Cannon, Plasma Rifle and a Combi-Plasma for instance in a 5 man Crusader.
Pretty sure you have to either get a heavy or a special with 5 man Tactical; someone correct me if I am wrong, I haven't looked at tactical squads in depth since 3rd edition black templars.

On a tactical you get 1 heavy/special if you have less than 10 dudes, and if you have 10 you get 1 special and 1 heavy.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

It seems that GW tries really hard to pretend that 30k doesn't exist.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

!Klams posted:

Are they any different from space marines or necrons?

The base troops are basically guardsmen stats with better shooting and a 4+ save and way better guns.

Then you also have access to kickass robots.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Crossposting from the painting thread.

I'm still debating on if I like the basing.

Floppychop posted:

My first time painting a Spess Muhreen and first time painting a mostly black model.

I need to get a cleaner with my lines, but overall I'm happy.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Enentol posted:

Do the rim in Steel Legion Drab or something similar. The black makes it seem a little unfinished and it doesn't contrast enough with the armour - makes it sort of blend together instead of really framing your nice paint work.

Throw on some greenery/a few tufts of static grass and you're good to go!

I've never been one to like non-black base rims. I'll have to try some vegetation though.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

goose willis posted:

The flying stands on my Primaris Inceptors broke because they're fragile pieces of poo poo so I remedied this by having the fly boys tilted over on one side so that one muzzle of an assault bolter is touching the base and one of the feet is glancing the ground

Venerable Primaris Breakdance Deathmurderers

That's why I put a magnet in the inceptors and on the tops of the stands. They didn't look like they'd hold up to normal transporting.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I bet it will be like Bloodbowl. They'll make the base game and maybe an extra gang or two. Then leave the rest up to Forge World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Only problem with Hex Platformer is that the ramps with railings are too narrow for 32mm bases.