Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Bad Parenting posted:

I made a level 1 necro alt and got the skele mage ring after getting 3 leorics (and a load of trash obviously) so you can 100% get it at level 1

:same:

I got it after 2 signets, and it required lvl 16 to equip.

As if that mattered - fucker went straight in the cube, and got me nicely past the T4 'not enough damage' wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Clapping Larry
Am loving me some necromancy this season.

Playing the basic skele mage build while I collect all the gear, and am missing just one thing, a Compass Rose ring. I have 3 (equally bad) Traveller's amulets to choose from of course. "Convert set item" in cube is a lie for 2-piece sets, but I knew that already.

In the meantime, am I right in thinking that +elite damage and max essence from a SoJ is way better than the next best thing I have (even if re-rolled for crit dmg) in ring slot? The green text often lies:

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Dross posted:

...did you roll the elemental damage bonus away instead of reduced resource cost? SoJ is rare as hell, don't do that.

Yep, I did that. If this can be trusted then RRC is slightly less useless than fire for singularity skelemage damage (physical). And I have another untouched SoJ from random Kadala rings now, but still no compass rose.

I still think the +max essence giving 54% extra damage for skellies is the most relevant thing, but I could be horribly wrong about how percentages add up.

Anyway, the fruitless ring hunt has had the nice side-effect of a full Inarius set with a couple of ancient bits, so probably time to muck about with something different. Hopefully something corpse explosion-y, 'cause that's a fun skill.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Filthy Monkey posted:

Man, I just started necro for kicks, and it doesn't even feel fair. Even with non-ancient garbage rathma + jessish build does like 20x the damage of my monk, who is much better geared. Granted, it is a lot squisher, but still.

:same:

It is the glassiest of glass cannon builds, but the skeleton 'cannon' gets ridiculous with reapers wraps + life from death.

It's so "feast or famine" though, and frequently comes to a crashing halt because of a random mortar elite. What is it with those fuckers that are so instantly fatal?

I suppose I should probably try using the cheat death passive...

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
Woo! My first ever primal is not useless:

And no, Kadala, you cannot have it back.

Haven't done anything with Trag'Oul set yet though, so have no idea what it's good for apart from long cooldown uber-GR pushing build I'm not really into.

Can I use Trag'Ouls for anything decent with skelly mages (and re-roll vit -> crit), or is that a non-starter?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

MMAgCh posted:

Why Blizzard still haven't added an autocast/repeat feature is beyond me. It'd beat the shitshow that is the Numpad "trick" by a mile and just be a significant QoL improvement overall.

But perhaps they don't have anyone left who could delve into the engine and rejigger stuff to make it work, assuming they'd even want to make the change at all.

I discovered the 'numlock trick' only yesterday. Very useful for keeping vengeance up all the time on a DH (previously I would dress all in white to make not glowing red very obvious!), and it means I can finally start using Necro devour with non-aura rune, because gently caress activating that all the time.

How do you turn off numlock auto-cast without unbinding the key? It gets a bit annoying in town with the "I can't do that" spam.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
Jesus Christ, how utterly ridiculous is DH Shadow + Impale build? I have wasted so much time plinking away at poo poo with UE Multishot...

Have mostly been following Icy Veins guide while I get to grips with murdering things with daggers, but I'm wondering why it has Aquilla cubed instead of Gunes?

They seem to do the same thing defence-wise, but the hat means you can take the freeze rune on vengeance, which looks useful. Is it just for the couple of seconds while vengeance is not up?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Suspicious posted:

for even more damage reduction

Oh, right. That's what I missed.

I'm just enjoying roflstomping 75 at the moment, but I guess when grifts get hard that would be required.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Isn't the Furnace a staple of like 6 builds?

So talking of Furnace, I found one very early after 70 on DH, which I wasn't expecting. Thought it would be a good thing to cube while I crafted away for the obligatory Dawn...and the thing is not an option, though it is on Necro (who will also probably never use it).

Turns out all the other maces I could have as cube weapon are 1H, so I guess that's because DH can't use 2H maces?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

To be fair, as dumb as perma-Vengeance is (my transmogs :argh: )

Too loving right! Do I get to see my suave, understated, gentlemanly assassin (and his pet psycho cow) dish out the knife-murder?

I do not. Just some glowy blue thing.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

SiliconX posted:

UE Multishot not T13 viable? I trust this is a joke.

That Natalya's buff is interesting, might actually be decent now. Just in time too since its the DH free set in S12 :getin:

If "viable" means quickly finishing a non-lovely rift without dying, it's fine.

But if you make less breaths/keys/whatever over time compared to running a lower difficulty, then it's not the best option.

I have para 720 this season, with pretty decent and mostly ancient UE gear, and a couple of 65 augments, and still can't faceroll a T13 rift as fast as 12.

It's still kind of more fun than Shadow knives for mindlessly nuking everything when farming, but I won't say no to a buff! And also looking forward to actually trying Natalya's for once.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Dr Strangepants posted:

I have never found a primal anything, but in all fairness this is my first season ever. I am very excited to get my new stash tab, the moment I do my first augmentation to complete the season quest thing. Speaking of which, I have never augmented, I have a level 60 gem, what should I augment???

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Strangepants-1244/hero/92185269

I would really like to be able to do T80, but I'm not quite sure how to get there from here.

Don't know much about Wiz, but those gloves (enchanted to 10% crit) look very good if build needs CDR, and are probably "the ancient you are the least likely to find a replacement for".

And since you already have the gems you use at 70+, no reason not to get the one for augmenting up to that as well.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

Also dont be me and accidentally augment an int item with strength.

Haha, yeah. My first augment fuckup wasted gem for vitality, so not a complete write-off, but use Topaz. "One of the following" doesn't make it very clear that you have to use correct colour for class.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Node posted:

Thanks. Does this include legendary gems?

Yes it does.

Salvage anything that's not really good, ditch all non-levelled legendary gems, and store any class-specific gear in character inventory. The end of season gearmail can be quite overwhelming.

And I barely touch non-season. But...must optimise hoarding, just in case!

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

AnimalChin posted:

I'm just getting into this game and I'm really enjoying stomping around as a Crusader lady just crushing everything in sight on hard difficulty. I tried raising the difficulty to master and I got one-shotted so I guess I'll need to research better builds. I tried the recommended build that has me chucking those spinny hammers around me, but I didn't find it any fun.

How much stuff am I missing out on staying at hard difficulty?

Should I be keeping all the legendaries I find? I've been selling them if I don't like the stats. :ohdear:

Crusader lady is so chill. Am loving her voice - "I enjoyed that!"

You're missing out on a few more legendary drops by not being master/torment, but that's no big deal while you level. Stay at whatever difficulty you can plough through easily, game only starts at lvl 70, etc.

As to any legendary stuff you find while levelling, if it has a hollow orange diamond next to one of the buffs, then maybe keep hold of it - you can cube those powers at 70 and they're just as good from a low level item when you do.

If orange diamond is filled (like in image Filthy Monkey posted earlier), and item is low level, then you can't do much with it. Though don't forget your hireling can use some of your unwanted gear. As a crusader you should have paladin guy, he likes strength too, and it actually makes a difference up until torment levels.

Once it's junk though, salvage orange items at blacksmith for a forgotten soul - don't sell for gold, you'll be drowning in gold soon enough.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
Bit of a slow start this season with Crusader. Somehow managed to find Akkhan set + all the crucial gear for Holy Shotgun build, but still haven't seen a single Johanna's flail or obsidian ring to make hammers work, so I thought I'd try that to do T10 rifts without dying all the time and...this is pretty terrible.

Aside from still only having poo poo jewellery (no CoE or endless walk set yet) and not nearly enough CDR to keep Akarat up (which is fixable eventually), it seems there's no way of delivering real damage on demand - it's all from the block procs, right?

Sure, when something is hitting me it goes down fast, block chance is high enough, but that seems a bit finicky, and forces you to keep moving around to face things.

And goblins, Jesus. Those don't attack at all, so how are you supposed to deal with them? Not to mention bloody Urzael - he doesn't really attack with anything you want to be getting hit by, so I just spent 5 minutes plinking away at that fucker with Punish & the occasional fury for a bounty.

What am I missing with this?

Maybe I should just roll a Barbarian to make use of all the strength gear, apparently that's the hot poo poo this season?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

bio347 posted:

The so-called "lazy shotgun" build is basically what you've described, yeah. It's pretty much entirely reactive and only really works in density in rifts (and the Shield of Fury is temporarily disabled right now so it's artificially weaker than it should be on top of that). If you want to do other stuff with it, you're probably going to have to use the actual shotgun rune so that you can pro-actively hit things - though that will cause a toughness loss from lack of Aquila..

On the other hand, I can attest that the Condemn build is hilarious and shits all over everything. My gear is still pretty mediocre for it, and I'm using some kludged-together stuff (Leoric's in cube, CDR roll on amulet, Justice Lantern + Hold Your Ground, that sort of thing) to make it go smoothly... and smooth it is. It's basically a WW barb that clicks more often when you're in TXIII (use Unleashed) and I can sleepwalk through 65s with my speed options still on.

As a side note, The Thrill is absolutely trivial with Condemn. Throw on the weapon and shield and you can basically do it in yellows otherwise.

I guess this?

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/crusader-akkhan-condemn-build-patch-2-6-1-season-12

Looks like fun - you can't go far wrong with "build up a massive explosion"!

Have most of the stuff, and a Furnace just dropped for me (remember when that was amazing?), so it's worth a go before I abandon Crusader.

Of course I am lacking a Blade of Prophecy, so I expect trying for that will now deliver me an endless stream of Faithful Memory swords that it took so long to get one of...

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

bio347 posted:

On the other hand, I can attest that the Condemn build is hilarious and shits all over everything.

Thanks. After a mostly tolerable sword-grind, I can now attest that you are completely right!

Finally got all the bits for a proper Condemn speed farm build too, and holy poo poo, this is really good. Have never used Sage's set + RoRG trick before, but all that extra death's breath is...well, it's giving me a lot more chances to still not find a loving restraint ring...

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
Are there any decent weapons that aren't Eun-jang-do (which I don't have) to put on Templar dude if you're using dual Unity?

I probably don't want to lose Oculus ring, so that's Wyrdward out, which means the usual sword is basically tickling 'em with a mild shock.

If the answer is just give him Pigsticker for the squeals, then that is my current choice.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

DrSeRRoD posted:

You can use TF for the debuff. Even if it's not stunning, that debuff is pretty nice.

Oh, right, maybe I should read all the text!

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I level alone, on normal, uphill both ways.

I level alone, but I totally make that slope go downhill!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You can socket a gem of ease in a level 70 legendary weapon and equip it on a Level 1 character, and kills get you like 1,750 XP!

Or, if you only want one alt, or have a very general-purpose weapon, you can sacrifice the lvl 25 gem of ease via cube recipe to remove the level requirement and keep the gem slot for a flawless ruby or emerald, for complete overkill. You lose the XP though.

Technically you can do that for any piece of gear, but that's probably going too far.

Also, even un-levelled legendary gems (molten wildebeest especially) are amazing while power-levelling yourself. If you go for the hellfire ring + amulet combo, plus any other random ring with a slot then you can do T6 well into the '50s, which can get you some useful cube-able legendaries along the way. Massively inefficient if you just want to be 70 of course.

And a 'don't be an idiot like me' tip - make sure you roll hellfire amulet with new lvl 1 character, and not your main, otherwise the passive will be useless.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Ancient with better stats is obviously better, except 84% 'more' orange text? I hate that you can't re-roll that.

Assuming 'first enemy it hits' means per-shot, and I'm not short on VIT, or better things to add Caldesann's to, then which is more damage?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
Is it possible to see the rogue/slanderer swords drop on a Crusader, or are they just super rare?

I have been DB upgrading yellow swords on Barb to try and get either of the things too, still no luck.

Can HotA build still kind of work with an ancient gavel equipped + furnace (or whatever) in the cube, because I can do that?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

ukrainius maximus posted:

I feel this pain on my cool barb lady. I actually have a Slanderer from a week ago and a few days later I had another sword set piece drop. Imagine my disappointment when it was another Slanderer.

I wish you could re-roll items from 2 set-piece sets.

LadyBarb is indeed very cool, and there are even sensible armour options.

Still no swords for me, but I did find a psycho goat pet to replace my usual psycho cow:

Seamonster posted:

The real pain isn't grinding for Istvan's because at least then you're also finding other stuff. Its grinding for the couple of gamecubes and (potentially) shitton of craft mats needed to make them ancient and useful when you could be doing regular and GRs.

How does one grind for 'gamecubes' (Ramalamas gift I guess)? They just drop from bosses very rarely, right? Which you'll be killing plenty of with the usual rift-running. And they seem slightly more common at higher level grifts too, though that could just be random, there are so few.

Totally with you on bounty mats though - that poo poo I can't be bothered with any more beyond getting enough for cube powers. Also, with two required weapons, you'll need a spare of each before risking a cube re-roll on anything that isn't terrible to start with.

Probably the best way to get a good ancient/primal weapon is to blow you last remaining gift on the acceptable one you already have!

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

biscuits and crazy posted:

I don't mind solo bounties. It doesn't seem any worse to me than grinding rifts, to be honest.

If you don't mind, then that's cool, and I guess I didn't for a couple of seasons, and a mechanic that lets you focus on upgrading one bit of gear you care about is very useful, but:

The enemy density is terrible.

There are nowhere near enough elite packs, making anything that uses Ingeom for speed frustrating.

Named yelllow elites don't drop DBs, including the bounty target.

A lot of bounties require you to find a thing on a huge map, and will happily wait several minutes before showing you an arrow that points in the general direction.

The "kill all enemies" on a level is bullshit. Oh, you missed one back at the start? Bad luck.

Worst of all, you have to do Act V, most of which sucks balls. Even if you keep restarting 'til it's not Malthael for the boss (because gently caress that) you still have to deal with one of the other two that are an endless slog through a misleading maze where the arrow is worse than useless.

It's just not fun. Facerolling the poo poo out of a normal rift as fast as you can is fun, keeping a balance between killing quick enough and not dying in a challenging grift is fun. Bounties are not.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

John Murdoch posted:

Tyrael's cool.

That's it, that's my entire estimation of D3's plot.

To start with, maybe. But then you find out how much he eats, and how hard it is being mortal. Then you find out again. And again, etc.

Zoltun Kulle on the other hand. Cocky fucker, but he has the right idea. "We could be riding them like horses". Indeed.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
Been running a load of piss-easy GRs as bell monk to get gems levelled for an alt, and just managed to break the 2 minute mark (nemesis bracers + lots of pylon luck), which is a personal best, and was kind of fun.

But probably nothing special - what's the fastest time anyone has managed to clear any kind of grift, at any level? I'm guessing maybe some sort of WD chicken build is the way to go?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

5er posted:

A note I would like to add here, for the belt, Kyoshiro's Soul is a must for stress-reduction using a build like this outside of GR pushing. Keeping the Sweeping Wind stacks up for the WoL synergy bonus damage is where your most significant damage output comes from, and it can be a real bitch to keep on top of doing anything that doesn't have consistently high population density.

loving this.

You know when the unstoppable monk of mad destruction suddenly starts hitting things with a wet towel?

That'll be out of wind. Witching hour is all fine and good for the big numbers, but keeping the wind at 9/10 at all times is key.

Also, finally got a useful monk primal. -40 level required, only the best rolls!

Just how worth it is it to get the super-rare elite damage reduction re-roll?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Dameius posted:

A Vengeful Wind that isn't a perfect orange roll can not be considered anything other than garbage.

Bugger. I probably should have figured that out, was so happy to have got an ancient VW a while back.

Oh well, lets blow all the bounty mats, it's a 50/50 chance. And...I get no 7-roll ancient of course, but I guess the +1000% from extra wind stack overrides the 19% sheet damage?

(both are gifted for socket, am drowning in those things)

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
Wow, it seems lvl 70 rift primal can be not poo poo, and might help the terrible necro squishiness a bit:

It'll be all blackthorne's/puzzle rings from now on no doubt.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Put one next to a ramaladni gift in inventory with some spare space, and them alternate moving them around, with sound on.

Poor kitty.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
And apart from comedy kitten abuse, my favourite thing about D3 is how you can just laugh at torment 6 with a second character - here's my new lvl 1 wizard.

Except for more +XP gear, or gems of ease (a gifted primal 2H should suffice, with gogok & hoarder in the hellfire jewellery), is there anything else i can do to make this faster, or more faceroll-y? Does warzachian bracers in cube give more speed overall than krelm belt, I dunno?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Snacksmaniac posted:

Anyone playing necro this season? I just geared one and it seems a lot harder than last season. Buffs got me spoiled.

I started as necro. Tried various flavours of tragoul & rathmas.

It was quite terrible for anything challenging while solo - ludicrous damage, but too squishy, and either horribly reliant on cooldowns, or non-regenerating essence, and the cheat death passive just screws you if minions are important.

The inarius grim scythe generator build is ok, if not very powerful. Really good for T13 farming though, and it gives no fucks about cooldowns or essence, and deliberately kills minions as fast as possible:

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/generator-necromancer-speed-farming-variation

I used that to get DBs & shards to gear up a wizard. Have no regrets.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
Started off quite lucky with a WD this season I reckon.

Got Pox Faulds in 3 death shard rolls, then switched to off-hand to blow the rest and got...nothing legendary. Then I realised i was doing necro off-hands instead of mojos, and felt like a right idiot, so probably for the best.

But this came from the free reforge :getin:

No luck on a level reduction roll yet, but keeping this 'til 70 for the LON bonus and some exploding frog-spam.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

I love this thing.

Not only does it look weirdly disgusting, but the effect is so loving good for lovely map layouts & bounties - combine that with severance rune and it's crazy fast getting around.

Mine is only ancient, but it was the very first thing gambled at 70, and has been hugely useful with LON and an ancient weapon. Now I have the Jade set, and the cute cat in a noose mojo that I probably ought to be using, but drat, I'll miss the speed.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Freaking Crumbum posted:

item has the word "primal" and/or "ancient" appended to the name.

Like they made that simple (and don't even start on the blues & yellows that are called 'primal' something).

Bracers are not ancient, chest is.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
This game is horribly random, in the worst possible way, because I'm thinking it's deliberately loving with me.

I cobble together a terrible, but just about functional LON Carnevil setup with random ancients (mostly not the right item, never mind good stats), to see how it plays.

On the first lvl 60 grift to try it out, the important pants drop, and ancient too!

But no sockets. Ah well, easily fixed....haha, no.

I counted 22(!) single-socket rolls, plus God knows how many other trash options before getting two sockets, and now have next to no crafting materials left, and it's not even a very good ancient.

Still, Carnevil/darts does look like it might be fun once I get some more stuff.

I'm aiming for

https://www.d3planner.com/870922929

Is there anything should be changed with that?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

big cummers ONLY posted:

Could use some help, this is the part of the season where I normally give up because getting new pieces takes forever, but I'm still having fun. Just don't know what to target next or how to be economical about it (like which pieces to reforge, which to gamble, etc)

Going for LoN Blessed Shield, nearly everything I have equipped is a placeholder but I can do T13 rifts in about 4 mins with this. Again I know what slots need better items but I don't know how to efficiently farm ancients or prioritize upgrades. https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/VideoPaine-1696/hero/110951424

Laugh at my non-top-tier diamonds if you must, I'm working on it!

I'm laughing at your (entirely correct) strategy of 5 set ancient items from different sets, including one of the LoN rings - I guess they are not completely useless.

Can't really help with crusader things, but when I'm at the 'need moar gems' stage of a season, and puzzle rings aren't dropping (seriously, nearly paragon 700, I have seen exactly 2!), you can usually get a few by cubing broken crown, restarting game 'til act 2 bounty boss is Zoltan, and repeatedly murdering the guy on the highest difficulty you can.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry
Oooh, a red beam, and it's an Aquila, and...oh, FFS:

I'm guessing there isn't a LoN build for spike trap.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Magus42 posted:

I'm not good enough at barb for this week's CR; things sneezed on me and I died.

I've seen a few rants about this - do US servers have a different setup to EU?

CR this week for me was a Whirlwind barb (Wala!), with what looked like mostly not stupid gear, and completing it required holding down a button and randomly spamming all the other things when off cooldown.

And on the occasions when weekly challenge is an absolute WTF 'build', there's always the option of going public, because 4xWTF usually gets there in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Beasteh posted:

I'm building up ancients to migrate from DH over to LoN bell monk because it looks fun as hell and I want to lean into the seasonal gimmick

Also ladymonk is badass

Yes. Yes she is. A bit of a shame none of the fist weapon transmogs look very good though.

I too am at the 'building up ancients' stage for monk. Started quite well in that department:

:getin:

Switched from SWK to Inna's 'cause of that - goodbye wind stacks, you won't be missed.