Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

literally boos at “no plans to port it to PC” and the dev said “what, don’t you guys have phones?”

I can’t believe we just watched an entire franchise suicide live at blizzcon

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

“Is this an out of season april fool’s joke?”

crowd cheers

This is incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Euphronius which is worse: Blizzard's marketing or Fultz's jump shot?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

Fultz is trying to be better and seems to be motivated by simple human emotions such as competitive will.

:golfclap:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

They publicly said inferno was tuned to be impossible at launch.

And then people beat it in less than a week and Jay Wilson threw a giant baby temper tantrum

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr Scumbag posted:

So where's the bit about Jay Wilson throwing a tantrum?

I know he's a lousy dev, but there's nothing here that validates his alleged hissy fit.

His response to people beating it was to nerf everything instead of giving other classes a viable way to beat it too

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Toady posted:

I remember being totally bored with loot. Combat felt as good as it does now, but it wasn't very rewarding. That's what made vanilla bad; it was just boring to play after a short while.

Yep. Because of the auction house being a thing they had to insanely tone down loot drops, so there wasn't really a carrot on the end of the stick.

And of course if you did get a great drop you had to pray that it would actually have the right mainstat on it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Whoever made that call should be fired lmao

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

myron cope posted:

He left the industry entirely didn't he?

Like anyone would hire him

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What's the ~optimal~ playstyle for the new DH set? I thought that I would be proccing both primary and spending stuff just from using strafe but noticed that it doesn't. Do you just stop every few seconds to fire off some arrows before going back to zoomies?

Also after being stingy for god knows how many shards I finally got a hunter's wrath from Kadala, and then immediately after another one dropped. One had 70 more dex but like 20% less bonus damage, I assume the dex increase is not worth the loss of bonus damage?

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 6, 2020

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

exquisite tea posted:

This isn't obvious at first but you need Valla's Bequest to keep up Momentum stacks, the extra pierce on Strafe greatly improves the proc rate.

wait, so the strafe pierce will also work on the hungering arrows? Does that matter when I have the cubed quiver?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mind over Matter posted:

Fair. But I'm asking "How/why does that work, what does Strafe piercing change about Momentum at all?"

Yeah this is where I'm at as well. Saying that the item helps keep momentum up without saying why when strafing doesn't do it in the first place doesn't help much.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Strafe piercing won't change anything about momentum stacks because projectiles from the 4p GoD bonus don't give you Momentum stacks even if they come from a pierced Strafe projectile, but Valla's does do something useful: since the 4p GoD bonus that fires off generators has a 9 frame internal cooldown and triggers on one of your Strafe projectiles hitting an enemy, if you end up with a 7 or 8 frame Strafe breakpoint (1.66-2.13 aps iirc) the Valla pierces' delayed damage (or rockets from that strafe rune) can add in 4p GoD triggers when you otherwise wouldn't get them. There's a big text dump translated from the chinese d163 forums that goes into further detail, and Wudijo has a couple videos that discuss it as well.

This went way over my head and I think I'm gonna just keep using the other one that lets me do the ice path strafe rune because it gives my strafe the movespeed one too.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Suburban Dad posted:

I'll choose not to read into the valla's discussion since I found a primal fortress ballista. :v:

I don't have a primal (or even ancient) one but I had a good one drop for me last night and yeah I'm on the ballista train now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pinball Jizzard posted:

On another note, GoD is insane. Before this season I’ve only ever cleared up to maybe 75? Currently I’m at 104 and speed clearing 95’s (3 min rifts) to level up my gems. My 104 was a 9m clear using gems at 84/84/26 (taeguk/primary skill damage/stricken). It’s absolutely insane.

Agree completely. My weapons are poo poo (Dawn and Fortress at like 2500 dps each) but I'm still up to GR 90 cleared with like half the timer left.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Can Kadala give you Ancient or Primal stuff? What about upgrading rares and reforging legendaries?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kheldarn posted:

After playing Spinnyboi Demon Hunter, WhirlRend Barbarian feels sooooo slow.

Upgrading absolutly. I had a Yellow Mighty Belt drop on my DH yesterday, took it to the Cube to upgrade it to a Legendary, and got a Primal Undisputed Champion from it.

I also got a Primal Hunter's Wrath in the very next GR I ran. :rip: my luck for the rest of the Season.

Good to know, thanks. I've only seen two primals so far, the freebie was the GoD Boots and the second was the immortal templar relic (lame but thank god it wasn't the all skills one so I'll count that blessing at least), and I've been spending all my shards on 1h weapons in a desperate attempt to at least get an ancient crossbow so I can do more damage. I've got plenty of crafting mats from some vault runs so I guess I'll start throwing all the rares she gives me into the cube as well.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 8, 2020

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

McLarenF1 posted:

Yes I had to switch from Vallas to Fortress (luckily I have ancients for both, as well as my Dawn) when we started pushing to GR100 for the survivability. When we went back down to GR90 speed clears I just kept using it. Switching to an Oculus ring in the cube helped balance out the needed higher damage output.

I'm gonna try to push to 100 tonight I think just to see if I can actually pull it off with these weapons. I cleared 96 today with just under 5 minutes remaining but lost a lot of time to three or four deaths + having to run back to town to repair because I forgot to do it before I started so if I can clean it up I can probably clear 97 fast enough to skip to 99.

Being able to do that with this gear is pretty disgusting, tbqh.

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/IcePhoenix-1374/hero/123064569

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bamhand posted:

Was it moved speed you rolled off your boots? I think that would still be better than strafe.

Regen. I could roll for move speed but I've gotten decent and just firing off an arrow or two to keep my move speed up higher than I need it to be so I'm happy with the armor.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bamhand posted:

I meant just about anything would have been better than keeping the Strafe damage. Move Speed was the only thing that was technically "worse" if you're too lazy to adjust paragon move speed when you swap gear.

I'm always strafing so I'll take the chip damage over the regen (worthless) or move speed (pointless) I guess :shrug:

Really though like you said, they're all bad so it really doesn't matter.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dameius posted:

Rolling strafe off, keeping movespeed on and off setting the paragon from ms to dex would give you astronomically more chip damage than what the affix would while also giving you an actual defense boost at the same time.

But then my movespeed paragon points won't be capped and that's even worse

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dameius posted:

Talking optimal stuff while defending suboptimal things is a strategy I guess. :shrug:

Please show me where I was talking about optimal stuff. I was complaining about my weapons being trash because they aren't even ancient and laughing that even with that I'm still probably gonna be able to push past GR 100.

exquisite tea posted:

In this specific situation you would reduce your movespeed from Paragon and add it into Dex while wearing the boots.

Yes but in that specific situation my movespeed paragon points won't be at 50/50 anymore and that's unacceptable.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kheldarn posted:

This fukkin game. I did a T10 NRift in 1:17 and didn't get the Conquest.

Did you stop the timer when you killed the boss or when you talked to ormus to complete it? When I got that one I noticed that I didn't pop the achievement until after I talked to him.

Then I spent the next 30 seconds frantically picking up as much loot as I could :haw:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Are paragon levels calculated differently between season and non-season characters? Because my seasonal DH passed my non-seasonal characters paragon level tonight in roughly 5% of the playtime.

Although that's probably a little skewed by all the time I played before reaper came out I guess.

I also managed to complete GR 100 still not having an ancient weapon :toot: Think I'm just gonna spam farm GR 85 or so in my quest for one.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't know if the actual experience provided has changed along the way, but currently GR85 is like 15x the experience of GR45. It's easy to imagine how someone might blow by previous experience, especially if it's pre-expansion.

I've played a couple seasons post-expansion but in looking through my previous characters it looks like the highest GR I ever got to was 75 so there it is.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I finally got a weapon, what should I roll off on it? At first I thought maybe try to get the damage closer to 1700 but maybe the LPH for CDR or Area Damage?

before anyone says anything about adding a socket to the one I'm currently using: I had five at the time and I currently have six. I didn't waste one.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bamhand posted:

Def roll off the LPH. I would take CDR or AD depending on if you have 100% vengeance uptime or not.

McLarenF1 posted:

Agreed and especially if you're also running Fortress Ballista, because then the shield will negate the bed for LPH. Another benefit of running Fortress Ballista is you can run Squirts without taking additional damage since shield damage doesn't count against it, only life.

Thanks. I'm close to 100% uptime but probably won't be there yet since I'll be losing a bit of cdr by switching the weapons. Still, at least I've got a big uptick in damage now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think that's also how you unlock them dropping in general, right?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Who names their skeleton, and why would you settle on naming it Jake

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Razakai posted:

Thanks for the reply - I'll give Grim Dawn a shot.
I guess my ideal game would be something with Diablo's loot system and character building (well, maybe a bit more complex) and the combat of a souls game.
Then again if I saw a game branded as Diablo soulslike I'd assume it was a trashcan of buzzwords.

sounds like what you really need is to kill chaos

it's even a perfect fit for the loot system because number go up in a mishmash of gear is how you get through the story and then when you get to the end game it's impossible to find any real upgrades but then when you finally get the piece that ties it all together hooo boy does it rule.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Swilo posted:

Is this the series staple magic find implementation where it affects the chance for any given drop to be magic/rare/unique/etc? Or is it doing something horrible like making your crest-enabled guaranteed legendary drops roll with more or better stats?

gradenko_2000 posted:

* MF increases the quality of drops, not quantity of drops

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I will always lament the day they killed my precious 4th of July/1812 overture monk build :smith:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'll say it again, gently caress the online forever. Non-instanced loot just makes it a non-starter. Offline is a ton of fun though.

Yeah non-instanced loot just makes d2 a single player game for me which kinda sucks because running around in d2 with friends is a ton of fun.

Whereas in d3 you can also do that and have a ton of fun with no caveats because all the loot that drops is just yours.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'll take whatever gives me instanced loot so I can play co-op

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Scoss posted:

I have a feeling the D4 team was watching some of the response to Immortal and felt very anxious about needing to address this.

Some of the monetization information got leaked so they pushed the dev blog out early (which is why some bits of it seem hastily written) to get ahead of it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Suburban Dad posted:

Closest thing I can think of is No man's sky even though it's done by a pretty small team. Wasn't great at release and they turned it around and have made it into something great. All for just the base game cost. But a big corporation would usually just abandon it like Anthem.

No Man's Sky is also a passion project by the lead dev so continuing to stick with it past the release date his publisher made him push it out on wasn't really a tough choice when they made enough money on the initial sales to support it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

reading the patch notes for season 28 has me jonesing to play d3 now when does the new season start

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

sauer kraut posted:

It's unfortunate that it'll overlap with d2r season 3's start :smith:

That's ok I have no interest in d2r until they do something to not make me feel like I need a sorc or an enigma to do end game

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lid posted:

Well in D3 sets are required for builds and non set LoD builds while sometimes better are so impossible to get to without effort vs D2 where all but like one set are useless and thus built around unique. It's likely they're trying to find a medium and entirely failing.

Runes are probably just as important as uniques in d2 so your point about their failure is even more valid

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Field Mousepad posted:

I might try an LoD corpse explosion or spear build for Necro but other than that the class is dead to me

isn't that the whole point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think the dungeons are supposed to be the end game