Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

I would love to see a Nintendo Switch Final Fantasy Collection 1&2 with like 1-6 on the first game and 7-12 on the second (excepting 11 of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Does anyone think Hollow Knight is worth playing? I read through the thread, but there doesn't seem to be any consensus.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

KingSlime posted:

How is this thread so consistently wrong about things

On an unrelated note my doctor told me I need to stay off SA and other "toxic communities" or w/e if I want to live past 30

The real question is if that's a life worth living.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Cash is always better, but you can buy eShop gift cards on Amazon (plus many other kinds of gift cards) so it's not particularly hard to transfer that credit back out of Amazon.

Also, I imagine that most people who have Prime buy stuff on Amazon pretty regularly anyways. The two-day shipping is still the real value of Prime. I doubt that many people are using it only for streaming and $1 off blueberries at Whole Foods.

My birthday is near prime day so my mother-in-law gave me $100 for prime day in an Amazon gift card and.... that took about 20 seconds to turn into an eshop gift card with the code delivered digitally.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Little Dragons Cafe is out!!! Has anyone else been looking forward to this game?

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Gumdrop Larry posted:

It looks nice but I am also in the wait and see boat. Most of the more negative reviews point towards it being pretty cool but with significant performance issues, so I'll wait for more info to come out to decide if the gameplay looks like it overrides that.

That's how I felt too, but was going to buy something around this time anyway and am looking for a relaxing farm-ish game that isn't stardew valley (not because it's bad but because it's the only one really around that's not terrible)

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think many people would use bluetooth even if it’s an option but it’s not like there is a real reason to not include it. No one gets pissy at iPhone for their lovely Bluetooth not working.

But the only reason I use it on my iphone is for music and audiobooks, which don't require it to be in sync. I mean it's awful sometimes and drops out randomly if I like swing my arm past my phone sometimes, but it's handy for simple things. I just can't see pairing my headset to my switch and carrying two headsets around. (I know you can pair a device to multiple bluetooth devices depending on the device, and mine supports it, but has anyone REALLY gotten that to work well?)

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Folks, help. I have sinned against Nintendo and need to pay for those sins. Please tell me the worst games to play on the Nintendo Switch.

Don't suggest good games, please! If I accidentally play a good game I might get arrested.

A game I feel is supremely bad both because it's not good and it's a huge disappointment is Shining Resonance: Refrain.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Looper posted:

I'm not very far (just got my fifth traveler) but I'm planning on picking the four i like most after finding everyone and doing their quests first, level scaling permitting. hopefully that'll help alleviate burnout for the characters i like at least

You'll totally be able to do that. Doing one set of 4 2nd chapters, 3rds, and then 4ths may be a challenge (since there are the advanced job bosses to consider as well) but is totally doable level-scaling-wise.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

content posted:

I'd like to see a poll about if people play their Switch more docked or handheld. I feel like I constantly hear people being vehemently one way or the other.

I'm all about handheld... except when I'm at home and I can play docked with pro controller. But I do most of my playing in handheld mode due to playing at work, in doctor's office, during surgery, while driving, all the regular stuff.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Reality Pisser posted:

Is Monster Hunter Switch a good place to start hunting mons in? I've never hunted a mon before and thought the demo was incredible rear end.

It's my first MH game that I've really dug into and I'm loving it. I had the PSP one that was big, but I got it after online died and then I joined the Navy so didn't play it much. I am LOVING mhgu on the switch though. I hunt monsters no matter where I am!

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

I've watched some gameplay videos of Breath of the Wild on my phone and the colors are better with stronger contrast then I have on my handheld screen.

Not sure if that just means the switch screen isn't as good as my iphone screen (I have a 6+) or whether I have a defective screen.

It's because everyone that's recording video is doing it through HDMI which requires docked mode, so the device is outputting higher res and color range than in handheld mode. If videos could be recorded from handheld mode, then it'd be a bit closer. (Also, your iPhone screen is likely better/brighter)

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

They can record from handheld mode, Digital Foundry has one that does.

Sorry, I meant without modding the switch. I have heard of that cool board that'll capture from handheld though, thanks for reminding!

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Sudbina posted:

This is the best thing until you accidently drop it into the toilet.

I think you're pooping wrong...

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Sega has been mismanaged for twenty-five years though.

Well Nintendo was biggest on all the C&Ds during the Wii U era so...............

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Monster Hunter Generation Ultimate has too much content

Mario Odyssey has too many moons

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Felynes that forget to "cat-talk" and catch themselves at it in conversation are def the characters of the year.

Felynes meowing the whole f'ing hunt are NOT, however.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Beastie posted:

I don't know how they do it but Into the Breach is giving me the same amazing vibes that FTL did. I really hope that gets sent over to Switch. Would happily double dip, especially since iOS never got the expansion.

iOS got advanced edition, was there another expansion?

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Heath posted:

Hey everybody go buy Freedom Planet, it's good

Feel free to turn off the story cutscenes though

Did you miss Sonic Mania and Sonic Mania Plus?

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

lets hang out posted:

Live with it long enough and you won't even hear it anymore :shepface:

I don't believe you at all. It is so loud and I understand why this was more fine on a handheld than on a system that docks and uses the TV. It's like the loud-rear end battle sounds in XBC2 where everyone's yelling random stuff. Great games, but jesus why is it so loud?

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

a good game existing doesn't cancel out another good game existing

Fair, but we're talking about Freedom Planet

Takoluka posted:

They're alright but need to be less dependent on nostalgia.

This is 100% true, but Freedom Planet was really built to fill in the "gap" of sonic games (edit: this is how it felt when I played it and the impression I got from the promos) , but I wonder if the indie dev timeline is why it came out after Sonic Mania.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

WHY BONER NOW posted:

We're pleased to announce online multiplayer support for donkey Kong jr math

I watched a full lets play of this once... I don't know why I started it and I REALLY don't know why I finished it.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Surely it would be about twenty minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6cE50TdP48

40 minutes... that I will never get back. These hours add up watching terrible let's plays.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I'm not sure this belongs in the MH thread or not (its like 34,000 posts long) but how in the ever loving gently caress do you target lock something? I've done everything possible and not even changing the controls will let me target lock anything.

Am I royally loving this up? Its pretty annoying not to be able to lock on to one thing and have my dude face it so I I can beat the poo poo out of it.

The best you can do on large monsters (bosses primarily) is using ZL to lock on the target (their icon in the top right should change to have a target superimposed over it) and the left shoulder after that will point your camera in the direction of the monster. You can't lock your camera or target onto an enemy as a significant portion of the gameplay and challenge is aiming your attacks precisely at particular parts of the enemy monster as you need to attack different parts of large monsters with different weapons due to weaknesses, resistances, hardness against weapon types, and other considerations like severing or damaging parts to weaken the enemy.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah what I mean is like the few fights I've had there will be one big fucker but like 3 smaller dudes running around and it would be nice to lock on to one of them but I guess not.

Honestly I mostly ignore the smaller enemies and incorporate their movements into my dodges and vaults, eventually the big guy usually kills them all. It's more of an issue in early game when even the large monsters aren't very large (like Great Maccao) but by the time you're fighting really large enemies they just catch all the little enemies in their each and every swipe/rush until they're all gone... except the bullfangos... they can go to hell...

Edit: I'll also say another mitigating factor is that once you get used to the controls you realize the weapons are very predictable in where they'll hit based on your facing so it becomes less of an issue as well.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Oh yeah why do the corpses disappear so quickly? I'm not very far into the game but things don't seem to stay on the ground very long.

Yeah, that's a PAIN IN THE rear end. I pretty much scramble to loot some while my palicos hold off other enemies when killing large chains of small monsters so they don't disappear. I don't, however, usually worry about the little ones when fighting against a large monster. It's pretty much all hands on deck to get my VALOR DODGE on so I don't die! (I main Valor Greatsword and am only through the 5* Low Rank missions, and this is my first real Monster Hunter game that gripped me)

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Ziddar posted:

Really, dealing with the little monsters is a matter of getting used to dealing with them as they come. Many large monster fights don't have any, and ones that do you'll learn to work with them with experience. Of course, no level of experience will be able to outdo a Rhenopolos charging from off screen out of nowhere. Those jerks seem to have an undying hatred of hunters. :v:

Haha, I was fighting a stupid condom dragon and another one dropped out of the sky and there were Bullfangos around charging me. I just re-paintballed them, ran to another zone and waited for them to split out of that area.

Edit: Condom Dragon is here - http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Khezu

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

OK I guess I am going to have to give it a bit more time. I really want to like the game but drat they don't make it easy!

Also make sure to try out weapons and find a weapon/style combo that fits your playstyle. What weapon are you using right now?

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Using some dual swords that looked cool but seem to do dick all for damage

Dual Blades are pretty fun and awesome, but they do way less damage per hit, but they give you a LOT of mobility. They shine for me against faster large monsters that I'm always dodging heavily. I like Greatsword for its damage, but it's VERY slow and takes a lot of deliberation. I'd recommend checking out some videos by Gaijinhunter or some others on youtube on weapon types, styles, and playstyles. Then practice and practice and practice your moves until you feel like a BOSS when you get the perfect hits in perfect timing.

Ziddar posted:

Remember, you can throw dungbombs at large monsters to make them flee the area. They're also handy to have when a monster pins you, as it'll immediately break the pin.

Yeah... I always remember that after I make a bunch of dungbombs and don't bring them with me on a hunt. That's one of the things I've gotten least used to (other than throwing the bug for insect glaive and letting buffs drop). I should really use them on Nargacuga when he's going to the stage where he sleeps off-screen so you can't even get the heavy damage attack against him.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

I only played one monster hunter on the PSP. It annoyed me with how quickly it dove me into everything because I would have had to figure out all of the stats and how the world works and make decisions right out of the gate with no real tutorial of any sort.

Is it still that way or did worlds change this?

I don't know why I've never known this but MHGen Ultimate got way easier when I learned that capcom has an official online manual that actually has GOOD INFORMATION on stuff like weapon attack sequences and styles...

http://game.capcom.com/manual/MH_GenU/en/switch

Why they don't tell about this everywhere in the game I'm at a loss for. When I looked for it I had to cheat and find a link inside their site by messing with the link to the online manual to the original Generations.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

b_d posted:

When will we get a Metroid game where you play as a metroid, just floating around and eating people

I'm pretty sure they reskinned this game into Star Fox Zero

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

b_d posted:

do you just buzz around and suck on dudes in that game? sounds like my poo poo

You just run around (often on rails) and try to shoot people with a weird mechanic where you see a different view on the gamepad and TV, I figured it was for more accurate metroid targeting, but then they made it an Arwing.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure this game title was on a weird 4chan link a few weeks ago... that can only mean...

Metroid Equestrian Racing!!!!!!

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't like fighting the Lagombi. It moves so fast, and since you can't get a great sword with green sharpness yet I keep bouncing off it's belly

Wait, how early is the Lagombi again? I had a green sharpness sword not too late in maybe 2* village quests. The one with the fangs that extend when drawn. Maybe it was leveled another time to get the green sharpness.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Yeah there's also a Wario game with "fart" in the title which, while very in character for a Wario game, I don't think they would allow "fart" in the title for one of their own first party games. Which means either the guy knew about Yoshi and BS'd everything else, the guy got very lucky with guessing the name of the Yoshi game, or there's actually a loving Metroid horse racing game coming out??

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

asecondduck posted:

That link 5000 people are watching is on the Nintendo Japan channel.

Over 7000 now.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Imagine the insanity if chat HAD been allowed for that stream... actually then people might know that it's cancelled...

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

In MHGU there's a Lagombi in the one star guild quests.

I beat him though, it was easy when I made the Red Stripe. It doesn't have green sharpness, but I think it's significantly faster than any of the other Great Swords available at this point

Ah okay, yeah I don't remember needing anything special on them, and I was also maining greatsword at the time. Now I'm playing Valor Dual Blades and it's AWESOME.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

If it makes you feel better Guy, I watched the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

OK I'm basically just going off of Hyrule Warriors. There's the ingredients, hearts, weapons, fairies, costumes, etc. that you're constantly collecting, and that's mainly why I play it.

I get that the structure of the game is different, but I keep hearing a lot about collecting drops to make gear.

Collecting drops to make gear is one of the biggest parts, definitely, especially if you want it to be. Also all 12 weapons playing differently and within that all the styles playing differently with the same weapon gives it a LOT of variety without even looking at the giant monster roster. It's a blast. I'm 60hrs in and haven't scratched the surface yet!

• Locked thread