Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/SaraGenRose/status/1006800759818776576

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

KingSlime posted:

Remember though, they were pretty lovely during the NES and SNES days

Like aggressively lovely

I’d like to know more about this

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Proper nouns are not adjectives you idiots

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Over There posted:

Is Nintendo down?

Apparently Comcast had a fiber accidentally cut, which might’ve caused a nationwide outage and affected other carriers.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Just rerelease MG-MGSV over and over again on new platforms into infinity

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

lelandjs posted:

You’re being sarcastic

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Libluini posted:

Stuff like save states and rewind-functions would have blown my mind as a kid. I would have loved that poo poo.

One of the most infuriating feelings was playing Metal Slug 3 recently with infinite continues, dying every few seconds, and realizing I probably would’ve paid $50 to beat it in the arcade

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Looks like these codes didn’t work for me just now

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

American McGay posted:

They're text codes, in that you have to text the code to a phone number and then it'll reply with a link to the actual coupon code. They very well may have shut them down though.

https://twitter.com/milesdyson/status/1018718590739140608

Thanks let’s see if I become a proud Switch owner

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

American McGay posted:

lol

There's a 0.00002% chance that anyone with more than one 15% off coupon stacked on their order won't get it cancelled. Wish I lived on the west coast so I could have just picked it up tonight in store.

But they’re supposed to honor their online store, it’s the laaaawwww :qq:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
All PS4s are now sold out and my friends got fitbits and 4K movies a few minutes ago

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Friend is reporting his half off Switch shipped from Target Just now

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
C’mon Target. I’m in preparing shipment hell. Your decision will determine whether I’m a Nintendo user again or not.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
From a friend:

quote:

Just got off the phone with CS-- was super nice to the gal who wound up having to escalate me past Order Verification and up to yet another dept, where I spoke with another gal: "That promotion was intended for select guests, and it somehow leaked to Facebook and Twitter. We have been instructed to not honor any of those promo codes."

Looks like the jig is up, folks. :(

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Looks like I am not going to be one of the cool kids for a little while

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Who is this guy whose sleep was supposed to determine if your joycons got powered or not

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Labo VR confirmed

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What a twat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think most early 3D games on all platforms aged pretty badly in terms of looks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If you watch the My Life In Gaming channel on youtube, they have a few great videos about N64's overblurring and how some neat new hacks and mods have figured out ways to reduce the blur, including combining mods to have a complete removal of blur so that you get crunchy PS1 style textures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDiHgKil8AQ

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

lelandjs posted:

Isn’t the blur because a bunch of games were coded at, like, half the resolution that the N64 actually output and they were trying to hide it?

Texture blurring appeared to be a platform-wide thing Nintendo asked developers to do to hide the limitations of the console (texture storage limitations). On top of that there was a secondary horizontal blur effect that the N64 would apply before spitting it out to video.

The video I posted up mentions that Quake was the rare game that gave you the option to turn off all the blurring, giving you a peek into what could have been in the world of crunchy graphics on the N64

edit: look at what could have been on the N64:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 14, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The other thing about old 3D games is that, besides the graphics sucking, for the most part the controls sucked because devs didn't know how to make good controls for 3D games for a long time.

Megaman Legends on the PS1 is actually one of the few games that aged well in terms of its graphics because it went with a very pleasing cartoony style that still looks good today. Unfortunately I hate playing it because it has tank controls on a 3rd person shooter. It doesn't even support analog sticks!

Even if you consider Metal Gear Solid's graphics ahead of their time (which they were, to be fair), the controls are hard to get back into after being so used to later game controls and how much more natural they felt.

Bucking the trend, Mario 64 actually had decent controls.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 14, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

To Sega of America refusing to localize anything Japanese, ESPECIALLY JRPGs.

Holy crap no wonder why Sega of America lost a lot of autonomy afterwards

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The thing that killed Dreamcast was that between the Dreamcast’s Nov 1998 launch in Japan and the Sept 1999 launch in the US, Sony held a tech demo press conference in March 1999 to show off what the PS2 promised to be capable of. It was deliberately designed to make American gamers hold out on the Dreamcast for the PS2. It was dirty. It was brutal. It was the most mean-spirited thing I’d seen in the games industry, kicking a guy off a cliff when they were trying to climb back on. They were All About Eve’ing Sega and showing them out the door. But despite being a Sega fan, I had to mutter under my breath “nice one”

Edit: corrected dates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIyu4Aozwbw

Waffle! posted:

I have bought Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on almost every console it came out on, and only the Dreamcast version was a flawless copy of the arcade.

Well I hope you’re proud of yourself because last time I looked MVC2 was $80 for the PS2 version.

I really should have bought it back then...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 14, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Or the time Sony went onstage in E3 right after Microsoft and said "Oh you DON'T have to be online to play our games" to massive applause

There was that time after Sega Saturn was announced at $399, that Sony had their E3 press conference. Sony America’s CEO called up the PlayStation development head to announce the price. He came up to the podium, leaned into the mic and said “two ninety nine” and then walked off to applause.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why wouldn't Nintendo or Sega want the games on their consoles?

I think until recently Nintendo was cultivating an exclusively-family-friendly marketing strategy (no, I can't explain Conker's Bad Fur Day) so I could see why Nintendo would say no.

Microsoft (I assume you meant them and not Sega) wanted games with global appeal, and back in 2005 the game industry was in that mindset that Americans wouldn't want games that were too Japanesey

It's kinda understandable

Hell, it's even a miracle that it worked on Playstation. It took six games before the US market really cottoned onto it, and kind of insane that they kept pumping them out to an audience that ignored them for this long

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 15, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

Looking at this data again, it seems that the Dreamcast did well during its first six months in America (350,000 units a month) to down to 150,000 units on average for the next 12 months. What happened exactly? Did the system lose momentum as soon as the PS2 launched that October, or did it lose momentum before?

I would like to hear from 40+ year old goons or really anyone really in the know.

They split the Japanese and US launches of the Dreamcast a year apart. In between, Sony had the Tokyo Game Show tech demo of the PS2 in March 1999 and then a second press conference to show the hardware at the TGS in November 1999, the week of Dreamcast’s US launch.

Previously I characterized it as being screwed over by Sony’s press conference strategy but I thought about it some more; Sega probably split the launches because of limited manufacturing capability. If they’d launched worldwide in 1998, they might’ve had more of a chance with a substantial head start on the PS2. Unfortunately they were probably short on capital because of the hole they put themselves in with the Saturn as people have mentioned. So really, it was more of a self-own.

The PS2 launched worldwide in March of 2000 and it was over. Whatever trickle of sales Sega had on their head start immediately dried up.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 15, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

indigi posted:

this does look fun but I worry I'd suck at it and quit after 3 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN43sCyEanA

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Real hurthling! posted:

Port witcher 3 to switch in wireframe mode 240p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4sG21EKGxw

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh and here’s Monster Hunter World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zKWJqi0yj0

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 19, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just buy a refurbished Switch like I did. You can even pick your joycon colors.

Where does one find refurbs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It’s $20 a year, what do you expect. I spent more on dinner last night.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I need some back story on that thing

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
So what's the consensus on the online service? Good enough?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Why is a Peach the monarch for a Mushroom Kingdom? Is she some sort of foreign conqueror, like the Ptolemys?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Young motorcycle racer Takuya Yamashiro sees a UFO falling to earth, in fact a space warship named the Marveller. Takuya's father Dr. Hiroshi Yamashiro, a space archaeologist, investigates the case, but is killed upon finding the spaceship. The incident also attracts the attention of Professor Monster and his evil Iron Cross Army (鉄十字団 Tetsu Jūji Dan), an alien group that plans to rule the universe.

Takuya follows his father to the Marveller and discovers Garia, the last surviving warrior of Planet Spider, a world that was destroyed by Professor Monster and the Iron Cross Army. Garia explains that he was hunting Prof. Monster but now needs someone to carry on the fight and he injects Takuya with some of his own blood. The blood of a person from Planet Spider gives Takuya spider-like powers. Garia then gives Takuya a bracelet that can activate his spider protector costume, shoot web-lines, and controls the Marveller ship (which can also transform into a giant battle robot called "Leopardon"). Using his powers, Takuya fights Professor Monster's army and other threats to Earth under the name Spider-Man.

So basically Green Lantern if the Green Lantern Corp was made of spiders

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I thought Amazon was accused of not paying people enough

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It says exclusive deals will be available to subscribers, which could mean almost anything. Optimistically this includes several weekly or monthly discounts like on PSN? For now the first exclusive deal is the opportunity to buy NES joycons.

• Locked thread