Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Phantasium posted:

No More Heroes isn't a game where you waggle the controller, your attacks are all button based it's just whether they're high or low depends on how you aim the controller. It's actually pretty nice if not simplistic. I mean I guess the QTEs were motions but they all work.

The PS3 version I believe ran shittier and had a different graphical style or something but also had stuff that referenced the second game so YMMV.

They can't just give the titanite away.

There was waggle to recharge the sword though which was very necessary. Not sure how that was done on PS3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Oh. Yeah. Duh.

But at least there's also ways to replenish it with items in the environment so you end up not doing it as much as you'd think.

And you reminded me of the batteries in the levels. We're learning things today :gbsmith:

DLC Inc posted:

Eventually it will get more content but that's like 6 to 7 months in, why bother getting it when the first Destiny completely changed so much about the economy and basic functions in just its first 3? I'm coming from the perspective of someone who played the first when it came out and has no confidence that Bungie will stick to a gameplan. Many original Destiny activities were bad when it came to wasting your time and being lovely about what constitutes as fun, i.e. gathering those loving minerals.

I played the Destiny 2 beta and it was ok I guess. I'm sure it would've been better with friends (as most games are) but the shooting didn't feel all that great. I'm going to wait a while and see how it plays out.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Phantasium posted:

TINGLE ASKED YOU NOT TO STEAL THEM, WHAT A CROOK

I find this is the most disgusting part of that letter

an actual dog posted:

Curse you Grimthor!!! A pox on your house! Your 60" flatscreen... is now a 55"!!!

:byodood: NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :byodood:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: Void Pyramid, the best rpg on mobile

Hey this looks pretty neat. I've never heard of it.

Bonus: it's free.

AND on Steam!?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

SOMA, Hellblade, Observer.

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah I just learned this existed a few days ago, I had never heard of the original but it looks cool

I've played SOMA but I had been waiting for a sale on Hellblade/Observer even though I'm pretty sure they're exactly the kind of thing I'd be into

i guess I'll add White Day/Observer/Hellblade to my spooky october game list

I would like to do this but PSVR is more expensive than a switch

This is more for anyone on the fence about SOMA but I got it during the recent sale and I went straight through it. It was pretty great! I'm also waiting for Hellblade and Observer to go on sale because I got plenty to keep me occupied till then.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

kill self

gently caress self

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yeah well who doesn't?

Zaphod42 posted:

Dallas is the serious business city of Texas and its super boring.

Although while the traffic is pretty hostile, at least they drive fast unlike Austin which is both hostile and slow.

All these are true

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Hmm I'm getting the feeling the dev might not like anime

Well it was the january games chat thread title :v:

I believe the Deathroad to Canada devs are goons. One of em is at least. They also did the excellent iOS games Punch Quest, Mage Gauntlet and Wayward Souls.

Have you met a very anime character yet? You'll know em when you come across em.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

vermin posted:

What's the prevailing opinion on birds?

Birds.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRsfOGJ5lZg

.....are very silly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fu-Xmq0DHE

and also very capable fighters!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

haveblue posted:

What are birds? We just don't know.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

HoboNews posted:

Yearrgh videogames

:hellyeah:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Wait, what?

Real hurthling! posted:

Nintendo wouldnt reveal the 64 controller until shortly before launch. Devs had to reach into a metal enclosure to hold the controller to maintain secrecy

Not sure if other devs had to do this but it definitely happened to the Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire devs:

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/114010/Classic_Postmortem_Star_Wars_Shadows_Of_The_Empire.php

Specifically:

Mark Haigh-Hutchinson-project leader at LucasArts posted:

By Christmas of 1994, we had the basis of the first level of the game, The Battle of Hoth, running quite nicely on the ONYX—“quite nicely” being in high resolution (1280x1024), 32-bit color, and at 60 frames a second. By this point, we had also received a very early prototype of the Nintendo 64 controller. This consisted of a modified Super Nintendo controller with a primitive analogue joystick and Z trigger.

Due to our strict nondisclosure agreement, we were unable to discuss the hardware or the project with anyone outside the core team. Consequently, we would furtively hide the prototype controller in a cardboard box while we used it. In answer to the inevitable questions about what we were doing, we replied jokingly that it was a new type of controller—a bowl of liquid that absorbed your thoughts through your fingertips. Of course, you had to think in Japanese….

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Be safe goons.

Speaking of which, PSA, in case you haven't heard, Equifax, one of the 3 big credit reporting agencies, just reported a MASSIVE data breach.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/equifax-hack-find-out-if-you-were-one-of-143-million-hacked/

Apparently using their website to check if you were affected automatically enrolls you for arbitration against them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/09/08/what-to-know-before-you-check-equifaxs-data-breach-website/

Also that website might be bugged because entering a fake name and social says you might be compromised:

https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/906247688768905216

Sorry for raining on the parade, everyone

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Raxivace posted:

How does Wario feel about the Koopa Troopas and the Goombas? As the anti-Mario, does he fight for them? Does he champion their causes?

I think that as long as Koopas and Goonbas can help him get mo money, then he will enlist their help because Wario is all about the scrilla

^^^^^Case in point^^^^^

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

All anime is good.

:yeah:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

nachos posted:

I like tennis games, why don't they make them any more. I have fond memories of top spin on the OG xbox. And virtua tennis on the dreamcast.

I never thought I'd enjoy a tennis game then Virtua Tennis came along

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

precision posted:

I wish twitter would die already

I remember thinking lol this thing won't last more than a year. :negative:

I also hate that people have a way of self owning in front of potential millions.

Oh wait a minute, no i don't

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Just wait for the newest Persona 4 character Ruby who uses a gunscythe.

There's precedence:

http://suda51.wikia.com/wiki/Margaret_Moonlight

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

I could never get into the tactical gameplay of XCom, or any similar games, but the XCom intro is still pretty great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttggec6eJFY

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I wonder if the yearly cycle of games like CoD also contributed to no bots? If you could play multi against bots you might not immediately upgrade to next year's version with the rest of the playerbase.

That can't be entirely true because several of the CoD games had bot play, some with their own progression separate from the multi:

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Bots

homeless snail posted:

yikes... CoD WW2 trailer at sony TGS' show, apparently that game's no russian level is your jewish character getting shoved onto a train lmao

loving hell they couldn't just NOT do one of those levels for once?

VideoGames posted:

Thanks to Battlefront Ultimate being £3.99 on PS store I picked it up and gave it another whirl. (I originally played a bit of the bare bones version on PC in february).

Holy Moly this game is beautiful and sounds amazing and is fun to play and control for me! I played a lot of the training and a few skirmishes (not ready to go up against other people yet). I feel like I stole from EA at this price! It's so dang good! Flying x wings about and controlling AT-STs was awesome, running about and shooting with the actual film weapons made me smile tremendously. Good heavens, what a wonderful time!

Speaking of BotPlay, how is it in that game? I was thinking of getting it, on PC at least. I know that the multi is dead af but if the price is right...

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

:wtf:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

haveblue posted:

Segata Sanshiro will throw you so hard you explode.

drat, that's how I want to go out

Saint Freak posted:

Hideo Kojima will give you a high-five, but it will take 7 years for him to deliver it.

Lol

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Dude shouldn't have been so prideful:

But they sure can take down a Patreon though. I mean that was your other problem. Promoting your Patreon, getting dosh every month and giving out the actual rom of the game w/modifications.

:laffo: what?!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Gah!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

VideoGames posted:

I prefer solo/bot play to online anyway and I am satisfied at what the game offers. I began my FPS career with Quake II and Eraser Bot, so it's pretty much just like home :D

I picked up Battlefront on your recommendation since it was cheap on Amazon and yeah, it is pretty fun even with just bots :buddy:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Poniard posted:

this is the only important tekken story moment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XjUL2oxIKg

I'll see your ending and raise you this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esYDLlIYRPE

Lol, some of the Tekken endings are very strange.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Ok, all of them are. I thought the Jack ending was poignant, music and primitive CG aside.

I do like how in Tekken 3, the frolicking girl grows up to repair Jack and outfit him with a shield because that guy in the satellite has a hate-on for Jack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEm7SXfLHmE

Edit: poo poo I forgot about Yoshimitsu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDQBkfEnBwg

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 20, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Palpek posted:

Is there a story explaination why Yoshimitsu has a tentacle head in Tekken 7?

His character design gets stranger with each game.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

just play painkiller black

every release after the first one is poo poo

Just for emphasis.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

That one lady to the right has strong fanny pack game

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Was this posted yet?

https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/status/910556053598646272

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I woke up in a daze in the middle of the night and am now trying to fall back asleep AMA

What game are you going to play to help you fall asleep?

May I suggest SOMA?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

My game of the month is gonna be Darkest Dungeon because it loving rules. I've already got The Evil Within 2 lined up for next month

I'm going through Evil Within 1 even though I saw your LP and explanation vid a while back. It's pretty good. I wasn't hyped for it when it came out and I just stuck it on my wishlist and I finally took the plunge after seeing it on sale for the millionth time.

psychoJ posted:

actually wait RUINER comes out this week

well

https://youtu.be/in5J5qbrY9M

This looks pretty dope.

The game I'm waiting for most is Wolfenstein: New Colossus. Probably the only thing I'm really hyped for at the moment.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Palpek posted:

But seriously, whoever came up with the idea to let you bounce Space Invaders' projectiles back at them using Arkanoid mechanics is a cool person.

Are there other examples of good mash-up games?

I hear people go crazy for Puyo Puyo Tetris

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Man, I remember Street Fighter 3 and thinking "Wow they went all out on Chun Li's thighs" but this is on a whole 'nother plane. Also the outfit is pretty ridiculous.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Takahashi discusses disc 2 of Xenogears and explains why it ended up like so.

http://kotaku.com/the-real-story-behind-xenogears-unfinished-disc-2-1796151112

I guess it is better than ending on a cliffhanger on disc 1. I think there definitely would not have been ANY more of that story if they had done it that way.

Really Pants posted:

don't forget Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt

:agreed:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

raditts posted:

I never really liked xenogears myself and never finished it because it became such a slog, but in this golden age of remakes, why the hell can't he remake it as he intended?

Well this

Serf posted:

There's probably no money in it.

combined with this

Phantasium posted:

He works for Nintendo, now.

and the Xenogears name being owned by SquareEnix makes a remake drat near impossible but who knows. We're living in interesting times.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Serf posted:

If they were to actually do it, I'd just want them to do two things: touch up the graphics a bit and let them fill out the back half of the game. Maybe some quality of life fixes like the FF remasters got. Anything else would be crazy.

Thinking back on old weird JRPGs, whatever happened to the Breath of Fire series? I remember playing one of those and really enjoying it way back in the day.

Dragon Quarter came out and kinda killed the series with it's unique take on telling a story. More of the story was revealed each time you started over. And the story was much darker than the earlier entries, at least the first 3. 4 was pretty bleak too.

Also, they made it so that the hero couldn't spam his dragon transformation. If you used it too much, the dragon would burst forth from his body, killing him and you'd get an instant game over. Also I believe there was no way to reset or recover your dragon level.

It was kinda cool though because games hadn't really done stuff like that before.

^^^^drat, that explains why the story is the way it is in Dead Rising. poo poo, and the time limit^^^^

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Dragon Quarter was genuine a well-made game with a lot of interesting and unique ideas and a very solid combat system. It just was a bad idea to market it as BoF 5 (which it was in Japan) because it represented a massive diversion from what up until that point had been an incredibly reliable and traditional series. Part of it was an attempt to refresh the series after increasingly poor sales though so it's a hard situation to be in.

It also actually wasn't much darker than the other BoF games. Pretty much all of them stressed the idea of dragons being a Really loving Bad Thing and had some incredibly awful moments (BoF4 had a cannon literally powered by human sacrifice that was more effective if the person sacrificed cared about the target, for example.) It's just that because transforming into a dragon is cool they tended to make dragon transformations spammable as gently caress which sort of devalued the "this is a really bad thing" things the story focused on.

BoF5 is actually my favorite in the franchise but it's very easy to understand why it bounced off fans so hard. It'd be like if Torneko's Mysterious Dungeon had been the next Dragon Quest. Even if it's a super good game it's a completely different game. Final Fantasy (barely) gets away with that because it's so expected.

Endorph posted:

breath of fire 2 has your dad being tortured eternally in the engine of a big magic machine and the mom of one of your party members getting crushed by a boulder onscreen
breath of fire 4 had multiple characters get turned into barely alive meatsacks begging for death like the ending of i have no mouth and i must scream and the guy who did it getting away scotfree

Well, gently caress looks like I've forgotten the plot beats of the earlier games! drat, was there anything like that in the first BoF?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

tbh the guy who made d is cooler than the game itself. dude was legit loving nuts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenji_Eno

Yeah no kidding. I would've liked to see what he could accomplish with today's gaming tech. I feel like he would have tried to get some VR stuff going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

beat the first boss in Ruiner last night and was getting my rear end kicked until I realized the "planned dash" mechanic can be used to rope a dope and dash through at the last second. The game mechanics can get so frantic that planning your placement with the Dash ability makes it like Hotline Miami if you were Barry Allen. Game is brutal even on Normal difficulty but gives you leeway with abilities, so it might not be as numbing as Hotline Miami. Overall so far it's sick and really unique.If you liked HL then this will extremely be your poo poo.

I keep forgetting about the "planned dash" ability. Stuff gets so frantic!

• Locked thread