Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Suspicious posted:

bill gates runs a charity. stebe jorbs never donated one cent to charity

makes u think

indeed. aid is a form of imperialism and his charity is a tax shelter, regardless of the good done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

can someone give me the summary/links to what happened with zdr cos i heard it had something to do with a lowtax thread in gbs and i really don't want to read one of those

that was mostly speculation from the peanut gallery

Lowtax posted:

I banned ZDR while asleep? Wow, I'm good.

By the way, for all you idiots who believed I somehow banned an admin while I was sleeping, what happened was the power at our hosting provider went down yesterday, and after they restored it, the hypervisor controlling all cloud accounts got overloaded and started loving up and causing weird errors to occur everywhere, so you can drop your retarded-rear end conspiracy theories at any time.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

dont be mean to me posted:

lol splendid isolation

just lol

no, rooted in Marxism. if you don't understand the nature of international aid and how it is never unconditional then lol. USAID explicitly speaks of this in discussion papers, of aids leverage role and how it can be used to exert influence over policy. what do you think the states' / imf / world banks historical activity in Latin America was about, the goodness of their hearts?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

also if there is a custom install option it is usually necessary, otherwise hope you like bundled malware (gently caress you oracle). and redundant libraries. linux has this poo poo better figured out ffs

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

turns out wangos-store has similar stuff but I guess we should hate new thing or something in favor yolo-ing an unauditable mess of MSI with admin rights

it would help if the store wasn't so completely filled with garbage that it's brand toxic. the only reason I heard of to use it is to get your games rated for free

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Shaggar posted:

Linux installs from package repos will include random poo poo you don't need and/or will actively break your poo poo.

you can see what's getting pulled in beforehand and if you need some specific version of a package that conflicts you can use virtual envs or local install to not gently caress with things globally. its funny that random idiots are much more trustworthy than large corporations

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

accomplished by having no apps. with this strategy they should have targeted the Amish, Hasids, &c

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

TjyvTompa posted:

there's this free software (it's free software) that helps you manage all the different settings hidden behind the registry and it's been updated for the fall update, it is called O&O ShutUp 10 and it's really good: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

:c00l:

just use Linux :pt:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

please use better tools than excel if you require that level of precision

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The Surface Book 2 is aimed at graphic pros, but with a stout NVIDIA 1060 GPU, it's a tempting gaming machine, too. As we observed during our review, gaming drains the battery pretty fast, though. Worse, The Verge noticed that the power supply can't actually charge the battery fast enough to prevent it from draining in some cases.

“Surface Book 2 was designed to deliver unmatched power and performance for anyone who needs a powerful machine to work and create, making it a great option for STEM professionals (designers, developers, engineers),”

how is this a good thing you stupid Microsoft fucks. this will happen in a range of intensive stem software, not just games, so it’s worthless for long stints of work

qirex posted:

isn't "max power draw less than the charge rate" like the barest minimum of things you need to figure out when designing a battery powered device?

:pcgaming: ruins everything it touches

it’s completely unacceptable. Verge score: 7.5

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

taco_fox posted:

tabs should be right next to the content, not in the title bar

tree style ftw ftw

Perplx posted:

top tabs seems more natural when you pull a tab out into a new window and vice versa

sure but what about moving a group of tabs

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

just strip the streamed drm and you’ve a convenient way to keep stuff

flakeloaf posted:

puretracks was the one i used most recently and they apparently shut down in 2013

spotify offered me a $3/3mo deal and so far it sounds like they might have the edge on deezer, because their "we'll just build a playlist on the fly" playlist is more than a mishmash of the songs i'd indicated some interest in in the past

Spotify is less bad then I remember. have more artists then I would have expected but with limited catalogues

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

anti-Adblock = didn’t read

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

do not gently caress the Microsoft

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

PyPy posted:

Is the new windows still free?

yes, but they try to monetize you with ads and harvesting user data. you will have “the mark of the beast”, a semi transparent text telling you to activate windows in the lower right corner, unless you’re using win10 for accessibility reasons

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

^ this but uh, just virtualize it? alternatively Microsoft has something called “windows virtual device emulator” https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?DisplayLang=en&id=5352 but i can’t vouch

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ok, what good options are there then, are you going to buy a poo poo device to play around with?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

My friend complained he couldn’t play his game anymore after awhile. it would load the splash screen, then immediately close with no error. the solution was to download any random Windows store app and run it once. then viola, you can play your expensive video jame

lol not worth it

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

should've brought a macbook

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

your dreams are haunted

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

:staredog:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

infernal machines posted:

windows is real fuckin bad

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

anyway i switched to steveos and haven't had any stupid microsoft problems. thank you for listening

🙏

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Last Chance posted:

MS are morons. testing can't be fully automated until yo u can simulate humanity and their massive fuckups

I’m sure whatever dingus responsible got a nice bonus for making the numbers look good on paper. fat and organizationally ill corporation comfortable in the fact that they’re entrenched, so they poo poo on customers. insulting but it doesn’t matter I guess, they don’t need to do much to exist. how many more bungled products and annoyed users will it take for them to fall off?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

weird LinkedIn

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Last Chance posted:

hell ya. and motocross madness 2 I think

was this was the one where if you went out of bounds you were slingshot back into the map? same if so

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

dell is bad, you say?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

infernal machines posted:

the main problem with 2-in-1s is they're a terrible concept with a poo poo implementation and there is literally no way to make them not suck rear end for reliability

marketing: it’s the best of both worlds

reality: that idiot coworker who touches your screen when pointing can now move stuff around

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

“people” don’t care about that right away. it was mostly coercive updates or those that would happen by themselves

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Yeah but MS is a type 7 pos, where macOS / iOS is 3 or 4. an Apple a day and all that

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

people without data or who live somewhere not draped in wifi. or idiots

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

graph posted:

win 10 is bad and the ui is atrocious

literally worse than desktop Linux. gnome 3 is more coherent than win10s poorly executed mishmash of ui styling from over the years

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

don’t use windows, problem solved

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

wow lol. this is why MS is cool again

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

yeah this isn’t even that dumb of a decision, gamers are dumb as hell and will do work for Skinner box rewards, it’s just more penny-wise pound foolishness

e. laying the foundations for future problems, today

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 29, 2018

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

cheese-cube posted:

ive never seen any suggested apps in my start menu.

same, my Mac doesn’t do this

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Shaggar posted:

yeah osx has been consistently bad since release

:regd11:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Fiedler posted:

just continue to use github. who gives a gently caress that it's owned by microsoft?

yospos