Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hi it's me, posting a message on the Taternet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mozi posted:

what's taters, precious?

Not much, precious, what's taters with you?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

What the hell he is selling

Sounds to me like he's selling courses. The video is pretty much:

:words: my course will teach you :words:

I don't know anything about this dude, but my guess is that he's found a way to use his charisma, and understanding of in-group behavior for dudebros, to get people to pay him money in exchange for access to videos where he acts the way he's expected to act, and gives people the feeling they're succeeding at something. Then he probably gets them to invest in something that benefits him.

So pretty much a classic con man.

It's also possible he's only selling the courses, in which case he's not opening himself to as much risk.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

i mean how can ore be 18 karats.. that doesn't even make any sense.

Get a load of this idiot about to pass up the investment opportunity of a lifetime!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Piggy Smalls posted:

My little old neighbors got scammed. Exactly as you guys said they would be. Glad I never took the bait.

Your post history in this thread is really something. I feel sorry for your neighbors, and it's a bummer that you appear to have lost a nice relationship over their heavy investment in a scam.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

This is actually a good parenting idea. Get that kid all hyped up to flush $20 down the toilet, when the kid is young enough that $20 doesn't mean groceries for 3 days. Then, a month or so later, the kid will realize they should never, ever take advice from the parents about investments or religion. D is doing Jr a favor here and probably doesn't even realize how.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Aramis posted:

You are going to dig a lot deeper than that in order to find the most ridiculous use-case. Some people are seriously claiming that crypto coins can be used as storage for the energy spent mining them , and that's just off the top of my head.

Similarly, my stomach can be used to "store" excess fruit pies from the bakery up the street.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

drk posted:

surely this time nothing will go wrong

Wait, what? I loan the bank $20 in hash collisions, and the bank gives me $25?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Boxturret posted:

No you give them bitcoin and they give probably give you 1.25x the amount in their own super stable coin, then they vanish in to the night.

Ohhhh.

I was genuinely confused about how a group of people savvy enough to a stock listed would do something so colossally stupid, but this makes way more sense.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

they're also scalping without the show to go to, you just get nothing.

Bitcoin: you just get nothing.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Boxturret posted:

I think it was a bit before nfts but there was also a period where bitcoiners were getting excited about owning a colour, and then any time someone posted an image using that colour you got some money. Madness.

Yeah, VitalSigns wasn't wrong with "cyberpunk dystopia where everything is an asset owned by some corporation", it's just that some of the crypto folks envision themselves as the corporation.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sophy Wackles posted:

Has anyone ever found a non-scam use for blockchain?

Some of the folks in my old research group were briefly trying to use it for some sort of proof of custodianship logs, and a few other things.

I think we'll probably see some extremely boring uses for it crop up in the next 20 years.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sophy Wackles posted:

I just don't understand when a decentralized ledger would ever be needed at all. Even if entities don't trust each other on ledger entries, there are things like audits, government regulation, etc. Or a trusted third party can host and manage the ledger.

The International Atomic Energy Agency, for instance, has no higher authority to appeal to. So member countries could, in theory, benefit from some of "nobody can agree on a central authority but we all want to assure certain things" technology.

Whether blockchain is actually going to be the best solution remains to be seen. It's far from clear that it will. As you say, the current scheme of "everybody audits everybody" may ultimately prove to be a superior solution.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'm no financial wizard but is this how a futures market works?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

What does one have to do to qualify as a cryptocurrency miner in the state of Texas? Could an unscrupulous person just buy a bunch of cheap/junked mining hardware and string it up to piss away power just to get the state of Texas to pay them to stop? How do they determine the payment?

I can't get away from this, so I looked into it.

According to that article, Texas paid them $31.7mil in credits for not operating during some period of time when they would have created 333 bitcoin, worth $8.9mil.

ERCOT winds up being an interesting study here, since the state of Texas is completely disconnected from the rest of the power grid. This means that they can't just sell excess capacity to other states that need it: if there's no customer in Texas, they're hosed. Conversely, if Texas gets rolling blackouts, people in New Mexico are hosed.

It sounds an awful lot like, in fact, electrical generation in excess of demand is a problem, and these bitcoin mines are helping to solve it by providing something that wastes electricity and nobody needs to continue operating. I guess it's not unlike excess natural gas being burned off at the source. It sounds to me like a crappy, inefficient system, but given I work with very smart people who spend their entire careers trying to fix stuff like this, I'm willing to accept that I just don't understand the problem well enough. I mean, I may be right about it being crappy. But the fix may not be straightforward at all.

However, it also seems like on-grid storage would be a smarter way to deal with such things. It's probably more expensive to build, and has yet to really exist in sufficient scale for this type of problem, and also "not wasting resources" is probably anathema to a lot of Texas politicians, but eventually I imagine we'll see the economics start to play out. Like, what if ERCOT could keep that $8.9mil and we can avoid rolling blackouts?

In the meantime, I hate to say it, but it kind of looks like Riot (the mining company) found a tenuous way to make a little bit of money on the situation. They are able to provide an electrical load that pays money to ERCOT, but they can turn it off whenever, no big deal. ERCOT is using this as a buffer against the very real problem of excess (or insufficient) grid capacity.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

high grade adult that watches children cartoons energy here

I can relate and approve.

I have a similar rant about the power vacuum in Equestria with no queen and dozens of princesses vying for the throne.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Vesi posted:

as soon as we find a use for this thing it'll get huge!

I said these exact words to my wife on our wedding night!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

lol blast from the past:

remember the early days of butt there was a guy who saw "suspicious" men follow him so he swallowed the SD card on him

What was on it?

Really hoping the "buttcoin" gag can come full circle here

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

I mean that just means the mib either backbag him, make him vom

Just show him a $20 bill, that ought to turn his stomach.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sardonik posted:

quote:

either way, I've made loads of friends that have similar views as me and that's priceless

It's really a pity they couldn't just join the church choir, host a neighborhood barbecue, volunteer at the library, or something like that.

I know cults aren't a new idea, but it seems like the Internet really gave them a boost in popularity. I think it might be this stupid idea that finding a group of people who filter their thoughts to comport around a specific topic means you're finding people online who are more like-minded than you could find where you live. And then you wind up thinking the bozos in your town aren't worth talking to.

This is why I'm so glad I found the GBS Buttcoin thread.

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 12, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

The key is that what they really want is to be proven that they're superior to everyone else

Ahem.

Sir, this is the SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM FORUMS. Maybe you don't understand the GRAVITAS of this, the oldest social media known to mankind.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Look. The only conclusion I will accept is the one that I pulled out my rear end. What are you, an rear end hater?

Please don't mistake me for an rear end hater, notwithoutmyanus.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

It's so interesting watching this play out in real time.

If studying doomsday cults has taught me anything, it's that the sense of community will override reality past when it's obvious to everyone else they were wrong, and the thing will subtly shift into some new religion, and then you get people handing out free copies of Watchtower in front of the post office.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Lammasu posted:

I'm getting strong Chris Chan vibes from this.

Imagine a GBS thread, with its own gang tag, some artwork including everybody's av, the whole shebang. Except that in order to post in it, you have to put your life savings into a penny stock from an insolvent company.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I once went on a date with a woman who explained that the space needle was probably going to blow up at midnight the next month, because 2000 was just too many zeroes for something not to happen. Then she invited me back to her houseboat to play drums with her roommate.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

A significant part of my job is to create puzzles. Usually educational, but not always: some are just for fun.

If I made my solutions this obtuse, I'd get 100% wrong answers and frustration. Like, there might be one person in a thousand who gets the connection, but the overall consensus would be that I needed to at least toss in a few clues to get people going in the right direction. Relying on people to pull poo poo like this out of thin air is a really bad approach to communicating anything.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Brain Curry posted:

Did she smell like a roll of nickels?

Patchouli, I think.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Fur20 posted:

how long before they start giving up? surely there's a point where they each individually realize, it ain't happening

cruft posted:

If studying doomsday cults has taught me anything, it's that the sense of community will override reality past when it's obvious to everyone else they were wrong, and the thing will subtly shift into some new religion, and then you get people handing out free copies of Watchtower in front of the post office.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sounds like an idea ahead of its time. Dude just needed ChatGPT and he wouldn't even be considered a scammer.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Big rear end On Fire posted:

It's all fantasy.

Everyone who posts in this thread will be in possession of my new Page2133Coin, valued at (currently) $386,000. Each new page will multiply the value of your coin by 1.4.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

someone who reaches the point where they are a “professor of ethics” is someone who treats ethics as a game totally divorced from morals. if ethics is just a set of rules then a smart enough person can game those rules and be “ethical” while being utterly evil and selfish and that’s just what “effective altruism” is.

I found this a compelling argument.

I don't know how to write that and sound honest, but I'm serious. It changed my mind.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Neito posted:

The batteries make the things weigh about a billion pounds, I wouldn't be surprised if you need a specialized jack to lift them off the road.

You need a low-profile jack and a special hockey puck thing that goes into the lift point on the underside (it's the same hockey puck Porsche uses). Low profile jacks aren't typically something you can use any old place: you need pretty smooth cement for them to roll properly.

Also you have to tighten the lug nuts at 129 ft-lb, which is a lot tighter than lighter cars. If you don't tighten the wheel properly, it could come off.

For these reasons, if you get a flat that you can't patch with slime long enough to make it to the tire shop, you need to call a flatbed tow truck.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

wait what? This is the first I've heard.

So what happens to them when it rains?

I've had two of them and they're fine in the rain :shrug:

Any news with BBBY?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

oh I was talking about how the trunk and front trunk both leak water into themseleves when they open when there's rain or a wintery slushy winter.

something that other cars dont do.

Oh yeah that's annoying as hell.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

we’ve finally found an actual use case for crypto: crime

Pretty sure that use case was found years ago.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Shroud posted:

Go to Twitter's new video site, (xvideos.com, because of the name change), and just type in PP show in the search bar. There's a lot of junk, but you'll find it in no time.

Ha ha. NSFW this, jerk.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I wish I believed in anything as much as these dorks believe in a dead towel store

Thread title

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

so is diamond lambos happening or what?

Not until it hits 5¢/share

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kerbtree posted:

Finally! Someone who knows what they’re on about!

No, OP is wrong. I'm giving them $100 to illustrate how wrong they are!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

So uh what is the deal with the bear costume

Look at this jerk asking about the bear costume without donating $100 first.