Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

fuctifino posted:

I doubt he'll post a thing now that he's actually being sued, and has no defence. If he has any sense he'll say nothing.... but.... well....

I'll be sure to update the thread if he does :)

Derek is Derek. I quite like him. He's probably still and will always be a bit of a jerk.

Derek Smart's Desktop Commander was my introduction to Something Awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

carrionman posted:

So is there actual money being burnt on this, or is it all a shell game moving monopoly money? Because I can't see this weird wobbly stability around 20k as being super attractive to new "investors"

There's some money in it, but it's very thin and the market is highly illiquid; major players getting out can crash the price hundreds or thousands of dollars in minutes. Some of it is shell game, some of it is ponzie, some of it is greater fool scamming, some of it is just true believers. Divabot, author of Attack of the 50 Foot Blockchain and Libra Shrugged, has some great analysis on this kind of thing on his website, https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/

A lot of this "money" is either "Well, he traded this many stablecoins for a slurp juice, then that slurp juice for a Mangosteen NFT, so the NFT is worth that many stable coins, which we've all decided to pretend are equivalent to dollars in value" with no, or comparably little, money entering into the economy. I think at one point there were several billion Terra in existence that was backed up by like, maybe a couple hundred million in reserves?

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Apologies since this has probably been asked before in this thread, but are there still true believers in the crypto world who actually think that these are genuine currency alternatives instead of just investment vehicles built on bullshit? If so, how in the actual hell do they justify that stance? Because if there's at least one thing a stable, everyday currency probably shouldn't have is these absolute wild value swings.

I still just don't get it. I look at it and see just nothing but people hawking their respective ponzi schemes so that they're not left holding the bag.

Some, mostly on Reddit and hidden deep in a Discord that you have to find from another Discord that you have to own an Ape to get into, but they're comparably rare.

IBroughttheFunk posted:

That helps clarify things better than most of the articles I've gone out of my way to read to try and understand what the gently caress crypto, blockchain, NFTS, actually are and what people see in them.

Blockchain has always felt like the ultimate thing in need of an actual purpose. I have yet to see a justification for blockchain, just people claiming "[Thing that absolutely does not need blockchain] will work better on blockchain," and then providing an explanation that at best, just highlights how absolutely useless it is.

Neophilia is a huge problem in tech. "This solution is interesting on a technical level, therefore it must solve a problem and I just have to find it". It's the same urge that brings people to re-invent the city bus every few weeks.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

You know what senate bills need?

YOSPOS memes.

https://github.com/responsible-financial-innovation-act22/RFIA-bill

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Zil posted:

Wait thats not a joke, they really are asking for comments through Github?

As far as I can tell it's legit.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

I was approached by a cryptobro I know who released an NFT line (that as far as I know never sold a single NFT) about doing art and that was basically the way he pitched it to me, like just take parts of existing things and collage them together and trace over them, no effort required

So I started doing that and I made these but he just looked at them and said I don't 'get' NFTs and I said yeah I guess not

his problem with them was that each one was unique and not just made up of interchangeable pieces all in the same pose

I mod /r/anime, and at the beginning of this we were approached by several NFT bros with various ideas for "Someone else's character, but in NFT style" NFTs. Just like the ugliest-rear end art.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I looked at more of his tweets, and he claims to make bank by paying Filipinos peanuts to create low-effort Dr. Phil compilation Youtube videos that he monetizes, and brags about the "donations" he does by renting 20-30 movies a day that he never watches.

I really hope it's a parody account.

IDK, "Charity bad" is a pretty common ancap opinion.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

run on sentience posted:

You were all very helpful explaining mining and blockchain before. I am now for some reason trying to understand how these ape jpegs relate. Is it just that there is a record in their spreadsheet that manbaby88 owns the jpeg at whatever location or with a certain key?

Yes, except that spreadsheet is the blockchain, and adding a row kills like a hundred trees.

run on sentience posted:

How are these worth anything? Just because the nft maker says so? Like coins they are only worth what the next idiot is willing to pay?
Pretty much! Whatever some dickless rear end in a top hat is willing to pay is what it's worth. It's a greater fool scam, a giant economic game of high-stakes hot potato where the goal is to not be the idiot holding the thing when the music stops.

run on sentience posted:

What if the nft hosting server disappears?
Sucks 2 b u.

run on sentience posted:

I expected the future to be this terrible but for some reason I didn't expect it to be this stupid.

Reality often is.

There's a reason this image exists:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

nachos posted:

Aren’t apes gachas too? Like the ape community knows that certain modifiers are good or whatever. I don’t actually how this poo poo works and I will probably regret asking.

No, gacha implies that they're distributed randomly (for example, I throw a bunch of money at Cygames, and maybe I get this characater in Granblue). They're procedurally generated, but I'm pretty sure they're set at minting before being sold?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Karia posted:

I refuse to look it up, but I'd be there's some company out there telling people that they need to be worried about cosmic rays flipping data in their hardware wallets, and offering "radiation hardened" hard wallets lined with lead. Which is a cop-out! If you're gonna rip off the coiners, tell them they really need a RAD5500 and hardened memory to protect their data.

Cosmic rays, that's a loving throwback scam if I ever remember one.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

tehinternet posted:

Better than having that know it all prick Reed Richards as a roommate.

At least with someone like the Thing, yeah he’s an rear end in a top hat, but at least he’s fun to party with.

... Reed Richards is Sue Storm's husband though?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

someone vaped all my apes

All my apes, toked.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Toilet Terror posted:

There's a pretty decent possibility that procedurally-generated images aren't even copyright-able at all. Courts have generally found that only humans can create art, and I don't think an algorithmically generated bored ape would meet that threshold.

It's been brought up before, but it's likely that the individual components, as drawn by artists, are copywriteable, but the specific combinantion that makes, say, Bored Ape 420 isn't as a whole.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

Absolutely love that all of these fake-rear end tokens that claim to be pegged to the US Dollar are explicitly not available to US citizens, for some reason

Also that none of them are backed by anything as flimsy or stupid as "an actual US dollar anywhere".

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Oh no who would've thought that known tax evader Rodger Ver might do something skeezy to get out of an obligation.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

CountryMatters posted:

Question about the money printing thing. I get that they're doing fake trades to make the price look higher than it "really" is, but each time they do this is it basically like just stacking more and more blocks on your jenga tower? Like they can't keep doing this forever right, surely at some point all the fake money is going to make the inevitable crash way more dramatic once it comes home to roost

I picture it like this: You're really tired, so you chug a Monster Peachy Keen Zero Sugar. That wakes you up a bit and you can go a bit further, but it can't replace sleep. It'll keep you from crashing, but eventually time makes fools of us all.

TVs Ian posted:

https://twitter.com/nftwhalealert/status/1542125573916721152?s=21&t=3AfhMTFHVnQ0IBe-u_cOiw

I had no idea this was a thing, and quite frankly I wish I was still unaware.

The amount of disrespect people who do this show KC Greene is just... obnoxious. Same with the This Is Fine comic stuff. Dude's super chill and awesome, and he deserves better.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Matt Furie got it way worse

Yeah, that's fair. Pepe still infurates me any time I see it, through no fault of Mr. Furie.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

3hands posted:

What’s the best creative way to profit off of crypto with protection from big daddy fiat? Tesla puts? I’m ready to gamble a bit just so I can brag someday about profiting off of this con collapsing. Also I can’t stand Musk.

Don't touch the poop. Even if you profit, you still get poo poo on your hands.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

toiletbrush posted:

I'm dumb and still not sure I get it.

So the bitcoin price is, say, $20k, but the powers that be want it to be higher, so they buy a bunch of bitcoin off some rubes for $24k a pop using fake money, so that now they can say 'hey, the price is $24k!'. And they're hoping that this makes the price carry on going up and that a bunch of those rubes then use their fake money to buy their bitcoins back, both reducing the exchange's fake-money 'exposure' and hopefully making a little profit from the sale along the way if the price has indeed gone up...the problem is that, if all the rubes they've sold fake-money to come running asking to buy back their dirty fiat with their fake money, there's not actually anything there backing it and they're hosed?

Pretty much. A lot of this is a greater-fool scam, and they're just looking for a greater fool because they were the greater fool to someone earlier in the line, and earlier they were, going all the way back to Crazy Jed's Discount Magic Online Cards and Bitcoin Emporium. Each round, everyone involved gets a little stupider and a little more desperate to get their money back. Eventually it'll just be the last two angry hodlers in a wal-mart parking lot fighting over a pack of Great Value brand peppermints.

They can also do what's called "wash trading", where they sell it to their own sockpuppets for inflated prices (or, more likely, SAY that they did).

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

EorayMel posted:

I know I'm super late about the last discussion about nft game things about playing as luigi in red dead 2 without mods but didn't gmod and/or pokemon accomplish the same thing many years ago

I mean,the point's not to be feesable or even the first; it's to give some airy, happy-sounding thing that sounds good on a prospectus and gets another bag-holder to hold a bag. No thought beyond "that sounds cool" has ever entered into the process.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

PITY BONER posted:

I have a few whitepapers of some exciting new projects I can link to, but I am sure you pessimists would just rag on them, since that's the whole point of this thread. If you're serious about making passive wealth without having a "side hustle," PMs are open for anyone interested.

I'm only interested in oportunities that allow me to use slurp juices on multiple apes, do you have anything in that realm?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Dirk Pitt posted:

Am I crazy or is this advertising that they are sponsoring the largest crypto conference in Toronto in the month of August tyool 2022?

That seems like a really low bar…

This is like when I tell my cat he's the best Bingly in the entire house.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

if only more people had warned them!

"300 people told me this was a scam! Oh, if only 301 people had told me, then I would've avoided this tragedy!"

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Squibbles posted:

Yeah but can you steal my car by tricking me into scanning a QR code?

Probably if it's a tesla.

e: f,b

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Minor thing for sure, but everytime I see "nexo" I think people are posting about Nexpo, the creepy/horror/true crime YouTube channel.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It just makes sense to carry five figures of comparatively low APR credit card debt when 40% crypto returns are a lock! :wotwot:

Seriously though the thought of 30k in credit card debt makes me nauseous.

I don't even like carrying a balance on my card from paycheck to paycheck. loving hell....

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I mean, that's part of the game for these people. Take a symbol, put it out in public, then act like people are tilting at windmills when they call "nazi".

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Ups_rail posted:

Look i got addicted to loging into my account and watching the crypto go up and down, i sold at a loss to pay bills and I just miss....the fun of owning crypto

How about instead I just come over and take 60% of everything you own over the next five months. It'll be the same experience, and I get a new Playstation, so the net happiness of the world increases.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Nessus posted:

I remember hearing that something like Google going from a white background for google.com, to a black background, would save some enormous quantity of electric demand.

I think that was when OLEDs were bigger? Cus IIRC LCD doesn't use more/less electricty based on the color of the pixel, but OLEDs do.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Rad Russian posted:

No one is checking out the hotly anticipated Gamestop NFTs that finally launched today after years in the works? WIth an absolutely impeccable market timing too.

Well, you can finally go and invest in stupid monkeys:
https://nft.gamestop.com/collection/StupidMonkeysAnimated

Isn't Stupid Monkey Seth Green's studio? The one that produces Robot Chicken?

Also funny that all of these are .444 eth, because 4 is an unlucky number in japan, pronounced like "death", which is what I wish I was after seeing these loving monkeys.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Rad Russian posted:

Seems you were just lucky to skip the worst ones. 3 was especially bad and the newest Pixel 6 has an absolutely enormous amount of various issues since release, it's been all over tech media:
https://www.techradar.com/news/pixel-6-problems-continue-and-this-time-its-the-selfie-camera

Made me switch to Samsung (whose bloatware OS I hate) after like a decade of pure stock Android.

Anyway, the cryptophone is for sure better then all these pretenders. It looks like it stores the whole blockchain and your wallet and keys inside on internal memory? Didn't we already have many stories of sad bitcoiners spending weeks in municipal dumps looking for their hard drives? Now if you lose your phone you're gonna lose your own bank too? I'm pretty sure it will be like the Freedom phone where they buy bulk $100 Chinese no brand smartphones off Alibaba and resell them for $800 to idiots.

The Pixel 3 and 4 onward were really bad at times. It was the "Let's do ten cool features, then gently caress up something so basic it renders the phone a nightmare". My Pixel 4 nightmare is that the glue holding the back wore out and the entire backplate of the phone fell off. I finally gave up and got an S21 Ultra, which served me well, not least of which because the cameras are actually pretty nice. Not "completely replace my Micro 4/3" nice, but nice enough that I don't worry about bringing it as much.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Number19 posted:

People who play games very often have terrible ideas about what would make a game good. Design is loving hard and one of the easiest things to do wrong on a game. Doing it by committee of your player base is almost a sure recipe for disaster.

“What makes a game fun” is an incredibly subjective, nuanced topic and there are an endless pile of ideas that sound great on paper but end up playing terribly.

I can’t wait to see how that shitshow develops as mixing NFTs, cryptobros, and the game streamer audience is sure to bring out a real group of winners with great ideas about video games

Tribes is the perfect example. "Best game of all time until they hosed it up".

drk posted:

Which bitcoin was the one where they went to san francisco because of a space whale or something

I thought for a second you were talking about the token where the purpose was to buy a statue of Elon with a goat body that rugpulled, only to find out that there's ANOTHER token buying a statue of Elon, though I haven't confirmed the goat body yet.

Neito fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 14, 2022

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Dinosaurs! posted:

What happened with Tribes? Or are you talking about a more recent version? It’s a shame the game came out before e-sports became a thing. It’s the best fps for it.

And I’m arguing in bad faith here, but you could point to Ultra Renegades and the other mods as examples of people having great ideas about what makes a game fun.

Tribes 2 is notorious for doing a whole bunch of silly poo poo at the behest of "the community", such as balance changes, in such a way that it ruined what could've been one of the all-time great games.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

RocketMermaid posted:

Somebody redesign the NERV logo from Evangelion to say this.

Best I could do at work.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

Beaten but I'm posting it anyway

Yours is better.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Party Ape posted:

I've put a lot of thought into this personally and with a lot of folks down at the bureaucracy factory where I work.

The only credible use case for blockchain (not even Bitcoin, blockchain in general) is for establishing a paper trail between peer countries that don't come under a common judicial framework.

The peer countries part is important because otherwise the larger country will just say "gently caress you, you're using my system" and the judicial framework is relevant because they could just use existing cryptographic solutions for non-repudiation and go to court if they need to. In fact, blockchain is a hinderence here because if a judge orders you to delete or modify a record you've bought yourself a trip to paintown.

Even then, it's only as useful as the integrity of the parties involved because we can look at recent grain related agreements in Ukraine to see how agreements don't actually stop someone who willfully signs an agreement in bad faith and then immediately breaks it.

Still just a database.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

drk posted:

They are using an IoT type of radio that is lower in frequency and much slower than WiFi, so it can get significantly better range. Haven't used that specific technology, but with the 900MHz band it is feasible to get 1-10 miles in many situations (farther with good network design, siting and equipment).

Its still dumb and as someone who works with radio for a living, its irritating that they are crapping this useless junk into the public airwaves.

I was talking about this in the yos-thread, but yeah, pretty much this. The main problem is that they're trying to do mesh-type stuff for not-internet on a physical layer that:

1) Is purely line-of-sight
2) Is in places like "some assholes home" rather than, say, on top of a tower or a tall building.
3) Is optimized for low power (sub-1w) draw
4) Tops out at about 50 kbit/sec if you max out all the channels.

LoRa is a cool tech, and there's some fun Ham-adjacent spaces doing fun stuff with it (LoRa itself works in an unlicensed band so you don't need a Ham license to play with it), but it's not intended for the dumb poo poo they're trying to do with it (yes, yes, LoRaWAN is a thing, but it's clearly intended to be an emergency thing over short-hop, not.... Whatever the gently caress Helium thinks it is).

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Sailor Viy posted:

can you expand on this. it sounds cool

Right now the major use is local text comms; you can build a local off-grid mesh network using a couple of these and a few devices with bluetooth. You could, for example, spread a few around a hiking trail hooked up to solar cells and then give each hiker one for their phone for emergencies, fun stuff like that. I'm not sure how many people are messing around with LoRaWAN, but Cisco has a router for it. It tops out around 50 kbit/sec, though, so it's not like... fun shiposting time on the ol' LoRa gateway from a mile away.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Like all things crypto this is needlessly complicated but i'll try to explain. The disconnect in fixed-length and penalizing or not comes from the types of entities staking.

If you hold a PoS coin and stake it to that coins protocol, like Cardano, then the coins are yours and you get interest based on how many you attribute and the pool's properties. There usually aren't any restrictions and you can empty the wallet or whatever whenever you want which just changes your stake.

But the exchanges and shady lenders adopted this model in the past few years. Celsius was entirely based around "staking" your assets with them for fixed lengths and getting interest. Even coinbase does it now.

So now you can "stake" your coins with a middle man who has a bunch of terms and restrictions, and then you get some interest after that. They have your coins and you have to deal with the contract you have with them which is usually like minimum 30 day terms or penalties for withdrawing early. When the middlemen are involved they may be "staking" proof of work coins like bitcoin which just adds extra confusion into the mix since they are mimicking the stake pool model to get guaranteed deposits the users can't mess with.

Sounds like just a dumber version of a certificate of deposit, which tracks with the Cryptosphere.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

We'll fly you out and all you have to do is work off your debt to us*.

*(Also, we'll sell you food and water, but that adds to your debt)

(I'm literally just describing indentured servitude.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Does it cost money to do that?
New avatar for someone else's account is ten bucks. It's usually used for Big Red Titles, but like everything else in his life, it appears Seraph hosed up and forgot to change the font color.