Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rectal Death Adept posted:

There is probably a future for cryptocurrency itself. Someone could invent a use for it someday and a lot of money is interested in it.

i kind of assumed this up until a day or two ago, when i was listening to a podcast where kai ryssdal pointed out that bitcoin has been around for about 12 years and how that's an entire epoch in terms of the technology sector and despite tons of people throwing a ton of time and money at the concept for over a decade, no one has even come close to creating a compelling use case outside of illegal activity.

i mean never say never, but after getting some perspective on how long it's been around, i think that if there was some kind of actual problem that this solves better than any existing solutions, it would have risen to the surface by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

limp_cheese posted:

I live just outside of Chicago and there is a bitcoin ATM in the gas station down the street. A guy that I used to know was a waiter in the downtown area of my city and the owner of the restaurant, a very high end seafood place, put one in his restaurant. I've never seen or heard about anyone using either one. I guess the high end restaurant kind of makes sense but the gas station one baffles me.

convenient for gas station adjacent drug deals?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
do you think the dutch had to deal with loud assholes writing and aggressively distributing entire tedious books about how loving awesome tulip bulbs were?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's an interesting tactic to move on from arguing "my gobal warming black market crime coin is not a speculative bubble" to "speculative bubbles are actually a work of historical fiction"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Hello Sailor posted:

See also: multi-level marketing (MLM) pyramid schemes. Stupid, lots of research proving that it's stupid, people still fall for it all the time.

yeah, now that you mention it, the continuing existence of amway and herbalife suggest that bitcoin will probably be able to sustain itself on new suckers for a long, long time

maybe regulatory actions by the feds would be able to kill it, it seems like their could be more appetite to go after crypto than mlm

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
https://twitter.com/RealNatashaChe/status/1429577944888979462

this poo poo is just straight up insanity

diamonds are already bullshit as stores of value, but imagine proposing to someone by presenting a bit of the blockchain that says you own a bunch of diamonds that sunk to the bottom of the ocean and insisting it was the value equivalent of giving them an engagement ring

(i know the current trend in nfts don't even give you actual ownership of anything, i need to ignore their wider stupidity to be able to focus on whatever the gently caress this idea is)

edit:

the characters in dumb and dumber where financial geniuses, they weren't writing worthless ious, they were just minting a series of physical nfts backed by deceased dollars

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 23, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i've never seen a savings account that incentivizes you to deposit less of your money with the bank

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

HootTheOwl posted:

Airplane drones are actually easier to automate because there's no obstacles or traffic in the air so telling the plane "go full throttle while pulling back on the yolk. Good, now dip your wings until you're facing waypoint one. Ok see ya" isn't difficult.
Landing is tricky but if the drone is worthless enough just let it crash and fix it.
Also an F-9 is a tiny little jet that you would not fly into a hurricane, especially if you gave it bigger wings to carry whatever payload hurricane trackers use to track hurricanes.

i think by "f9" they mean a falcon 9. they are asking elon musk to put atmospheric research instruments on a rocket and shoot it into the hurricane to get science done faster

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

ymgve posted:

feels like it's worth nothing at all!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

the timing of this is a coincidence, but i want to believe

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
hyper-deflationary currency sounds like a nightmare, what's the use case as medium of exchange when the creators explicitly acknowledge it rewards people who never circulate it? it's like they're not even trying to hide that it's just a vehicle for speculation for idiots. "we designed it so number only go up"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i haven't been following crypto lately, but is spotted an article about it on my lunch break today

guy at benzinga took the tack "yes, crypto market cap is at 1.8t after a 3t market cap in november, but surely crypto is about to bounce off the floor soon"

how is this poo poo 40% off peak and i've barely heard a peep in the mainstream press? loving currency of the future

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm watching through that dan olsen video that was linked a little way back, and the vagueness of these nft launches are a one-to-one re-creation of the classic south sea bubble offering of "an undertaking of great advantage, but nobody to know what it is"

i know a lot of the material in "extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of crowds" is apocryphal, but boy it captures the spirit of the current bubble

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Donovan Trip posted:

Since then I turned 8k into enough for a new car, a house, a restaurant,...

nice, the classic windfall wealth destruction starter package. you might want to consider developing a substance abuse problem to round things out

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

OPAONI posted:

Can't short sellers just declare bankruptcy?

or use their secret stock market cabal superpowers to just void the contracts

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i've learned not to hope for things, but it would be perfect if those stupid super bowl commercials really do turn out to be the high-water mark of crypto

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Agents are GO! posted:

That is where I stop, because that's obviously bullshit. It's like whole swaths of people can't internalize "if it seems too good to be true, it isn't true."

Again, that's where it should stop, and I honestly don't see a problem mocking people for not stopping. From googling the Albanian Civil War, first, holy poo poo, and second I guess I can accept some people who otherwise wouldn't have dumped their money in were convinced by the fact even some government officials were promoting Ponzi schemes, but again, holy poo poo.

Cole is slaw.

i think a lot of it comes from something touched on earlier, humans are social creatures. consider the asch conformity experiments. when placed in a situation where the group consensus clashed with objective reality, a significant number of participants went with the consensus. add to it the very real psychological pressure of fomo, and it can become very hard to sit things out. i hate to judge on things like this because the human brain is such a kludge job of heuristics and processing shortcuts that i'm not confident enough to say i will always avoid irrational behavior. and i can believe that there are people who were already in a bad spot putting in money they can't afford to lose and devastating lives.

however, this devastation is happening in the form of "slurp juice", so i think we can split the difference and call it tragi-comic

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Gutcruncher posted:

Intentionally selling fake safety devices that lead to the deaths of multiple people only lands you in jail for 10 years?

Surely if I ran a car company and replaced all my cars seatbelts with fruit by the foot, I’d expect something harsher

i mean as far as i can tell 3 people were indicted but never brought to trial for the takata airbag scandal in which they knowingly replaced airbags with fragmentation grenades for about two decades.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i've followed the crypto and nft space for a while and felt like i "got" it, but this one is really breaking my brain

they have their original art and all their original infrastructure, don't they? someone just added a hyperlink pointed at a copy of the jpg to the blockchain before them? is that really stealing? would it still be stealing if the offender had added their copied hyperlink to the blockchain after the official launch? does being first to the blockchain matter more than the provenance of the "art" in the eyes of the public so the original creator can't just go ahead and add their pointer to the blockchain second?

i mean, i guess it's theft, but it seems like a form of theft that anyone can still do at any point in time after the jpgs are released into the wild

deep dish peat moss posted:

Here's their roadmap for the billionaire ape club project:

I love how the rewards their holders can expect are things like being part of "an organization" (unspecified), the owners buying "land" in the metaverse, just literally paying people monthly stipends for owning apes (with what money???), "we'll find somone to collaborate on something with" and "hell, we'll make an MMO too". Zero details about any of it, just vague web3 terms thrown at an infographic.

number 6 and 7 seem to be essentially the exact same bullet point repeated twice, but i guess they really want to drive home "we will give you money for nothing"

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 3, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

for a second i read this as "took out $80 million per month" and nearly start shooting blood from my eyes

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

CaptainSarcastic posted:

WTF is "full protection from impermanent loss?" Are they guaranteeing that any losses are forever?

maybe it's like a private hedge fund and they don't mark to market and tell you about the temporary losses, only the gains or when the fund goes to zero. apparently, research suggests that people will pay a premium for an investment that doesn't mark to market for this type of peace of mind, so who the gently caress knows?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Space Fish posted:

https://twitter.com/TKopelman/status/1544681423633874947?t=cNX-yZJyD61k6tcRTRUCUw&s=19

It annoys me when otherwise sensible financial advice types kowtow to crypto "strategies" and equate it to other asset allocations.

For the record, Mr. Kopelman also said the best way to learn about crypto was to have some skin in the game and buy Bitcoin already... right before its recent hard tumble.

hmm, yeah, i could see the mass panic driving the price to book ratio so low that expected returns are suddenly really attractive again

we just need to start combing through quarterly and annual statements to figure out which crypto have the most robust real assets on their books

oh poo poo, the book is just full of ape jpegs! abort, abort!!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

man, it'd be great if the fdic and the whole regulatory apparatus had been investigating and enforcing this kind of poo poo before a bunch of idiots got tricked out of their life savings

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CTloP-B61A

i follow an "exploring crypto" podcast put together by two canadian investment managers who have a knack for getting good guests. they try to maintain a neutral perspective, but roughly 3/4s of their guests end up essentially saying "in my field of expertise crytpo makes absolutely no sense, but maybe there's some benefit in other areas i know nothing about"; 1/8 say "crypto is loving dogshit in every way"; and the last 1/8 say "crypto must be good or else why would i be shilling for it?"

the guest in the linked episode had a very nice critique from more of a sociology/political science perspective that really focused on how much power the coders/miners/exchanges have, and how even if you put all of the glaring technological and practicality problems aside there are fundamental flaws inherent in the very concept that prevent crypto from living up to what it gets advertised as by libertarians. not necessarily any new information for anyone in this thread, but i liked the way it was laid out

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Somfin posted:

Rotate in your mind, if you will, the sort of investor who is still on board with the metaverse but considers crypto enough of a lost cause to demand it be dropped

all the investors are wailing and gnashing their teeth as they watch their money being shoveled into the metaverse furnace, they hate it. zuckerberg would be out on the curb right now if the all shareholders weren't dumb-dumbs who knowingly bought non-voting shares which leave all control in zucks hands because he was clearly a randian ubermensch of infinite vision

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
from matt levine's newsletter today

quote:

Elsewhere in tweeting through it
Do Kwon’s Twitter account remains really good? Kwon is the founder of Terra, the crypto blockchain that blew up in a stablecoin meltdown in May. He is now wanted by South Korean prosecutors, and depending on who you believe he is either “not on the run” (his view) or “obviously on the run” ( prosecutors’ view). In any case he is not in custody and very much tweeting through it. Today he tweeted “Strangely, these last few weeks have been one of the most creative periods of my life.” I suppose it takes a lot of creativity to escape an arrest warrant, an Interpol red notice and some decentralized crypto vigilantes? I am glad he is having fun.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Wifi Toilet posted:

Lmao, imagine being tortured for some random numbers stored on a computer somewhere.

i think this was the plot of the film swordfish. truly ahead of its time

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
christ, i'm listening to today's house committee hearing, and the number of ranking members who are still carrying water for crypto as they discuss one of the largest frauds in history is disgusting

tom emmer, a republican (a lot of the shills are republican for some odd reason) from minnesota finished his questioning of ray with these remarks which are just infuriating

quote:

Thank you Mr. Ray, I appreciate you mentioning your concerns about the concentration of power in a small group of individuals with no oversight. That is the exact problem of openness and permissionless technology that crypto and blockchain solves. It solves for the problems with centralization...

I encourage my colleagues to understand Sam Banman-Fried crimes for what it is, a failure of centralization. A failure of business ethics and a crime. It is not a failure of technology.

the statements of a man being paid to not understand that technology is not some magic replacement for social structures. the massive fraud is just proof that the technology was just not embraced hard enough

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm visiting my parents for christmas, and talking over a bottle of wine my dad asked me to explain the ftx debacle, which led to a broad discussion of crypto. he hadn't heard of nfts, as soon as i explained it was a link pointing to a digital picture he got a real confused look and asked "if it's a digital picture can't people just copy it?"

i was proud he was able to cut to the heart of the grift so quickly

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

PhazonLink posted:

video games might be the most visible part in the west, but dont most japanese megacorps have a ton of other depts that make orders of mag. more money than videogames?

this isn't the future movies in the 1980's promised us, square enix makes various forms of videogames, manga, and merchandise based on their videogames and manga. the whole company isn't being funded by cybernetic drone arm sales or whatever the gently caress

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah it's funny.

Even the goldbugs who are okay with getting certificates instead of having their own vault could theoretically get their gold in the apocalypse. Theoretically. As in it's physically possible for them to travel cross country trading blowjobs for kerosene to keep their engine running until they reach the warehouse to demand to exchange their certificates for gold bars. Yeah realistically the warehouse would be empty or they'd just get shot by the former security guards, but the gold is a physical thing that would not melt away into thin air.

Bitcoin is like, the apocalypse will wreck industrial society and all relationships and institutions of civilization, but everyone will still have high speed internet and there will be plenty of cheap electrical power for the mining pools

no joke, i've seen some coiners insist that they could keep the blockchain going via radio if the internet went away

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i have to regularly restrain myself from posting excerpts of matt levine's money stuff newsletter, but today's bit on celsius is too good not to share

quote:

Elsewhere in bankruptcy:

A court-appointed examiner blasted crypto lender Celsius Network Ltd and its former Chief Executive Officer Alex Mashinsky for lacking adequate risk management and misleading customers about its business practices and financial health.

Examiner Shoba Pillay said in her 689-page final report published Tuesday that Celsius — which let people earn yield on their coins by lending them out — lacked the ability to accurately track its assets and liabilities, and tried to erase misrepresentations made by Mashinsky in public statements.

Here is the report, and you might not expect a 689-page report by a lawyer in a bankruptcy case to be entertaining reading, but you’d be wrong. (You will probably find it less entertaining if you invested in Celsius.) Part of the problem at Celsius was that (1) its business model was bad and (2) it lied about it. The report says:

The business model Celsius advertised and sold to its customers was not the business that Celsius actually operated. Through its website, marketing emails, Twitter, livestream town hall meetings, and other messaging, Celsius sold its customers on the concept that it was better than traditional “big banks.” By investing with Celsius, its customers were told that they would be able to “unbank” themselves and enjoy “financial freedom” as part of the Celsius community. Celsius emphasized that it put “its community first” and that its business would be “built on trust” and “transparency” with its community members. Celsius promoted itself as an altruistic organization, bragging in one blog post: “Can we really bring unprecedented financial freedom, economic opportunity and income equality to everyone in the world? We are Celsius. We dream big.”

Celsius boasted that its primary financial product—its “Earn” program— was the “safest place for your crypto.” Customers who participated in the Earn program transferred their crypto assets to Celsius in exchange for interest, or what Celsius called rewards. In turn, Celsius deployed its customers’ crypto assets—through further loans, investments, or on exchanges—to generate income, or what Celsius called yield. Celsius’s co-founder and majority owner, Alex Mashinsky, repeatedly told customers in his weekly livestream conversations (referred to as “Ask Mashinsky Anything” or “AMAs”) that customer-deposited coins “are your coins, not our coins . . . [i]t’s always your Bitcoin.” When asked what would happen in the event of a bankruptcy, Mr. Mashinsky told customers “coins are returned to their owners even in the case of bankruptcy.”

Celsius advertised that it knew how to generate high returns with low risk by doing “what Celsius does best”—carefully vetting its financial counterparties and ensuring that when those counterparties borrowed crypto assets from Celsius, they pledged “over 100% collateral” to secure their loans. Celsius sold its customers on the promise that Celsius would pay them “at least 5% annual interest” and that their rewards would equal each customer’s share of up to 80% of Celsius’s revenues.

Basically none of that was true: “Celsius did not distribute up to 80% of its revenues to its customers because it had little to no profits to distribute.” “Celsius made loans that were not fully secured or were unsecured so that it could charge higher interest rates.” “By June 2021, it was routine for one-third of Celsius’s institutional loan portfolio to be wholly unsecured and more than half of the portfolio to be under-collateralized.” “Celsius did not have a risk management function or written risk policies in place before 2021.” And, of course, Celsius’s coins were very much not returned to their owners in the case of bankruptcy.

Even worse, though, is the stuff about Celsius’s own CEL token. Celsius created CEL tokens, and sold them for cash to raise money, and also distributed them to insiders (Mashinsky) who sold them for more money; meanwhile Celsius was “market making” in Celsius tokens and pushing up their price. If you squint, what that sentence means is something like “Celsius took its customers’ real money and gave it to Mashinsky in exchange for some magic beans.” I mean, that is an argumentative and somewhat extreme way of putting it. On the other hand here are some actual quotes from the bankruptcy report!

During the height of Celsius’s market making, Celsius often sought to protect CEL from price drops that it attributed to Mr. Mashinsky’s sales of large amounts of his personal CEL holdings. As a result of Mr. Mashinsky’s sales, Celsius often increased the size of its resting orders to buy all of the CEL that Mr. Mashinsky and his other companies were selling. These trades caused Celsius’s former Chief Financial Officer to write “[w]e are talking about becoming a regulated entity and we are doing something possibly illegal and definitely not compliant.” As one employee noted in an internal Slack communication: “if anyone ever found out our position and how much our founders took in USD could be a very very bad look . . . We are using users USDC to pay for employees worthless CEL . . . All because the company is the one inflating the price to get the valuations to be able to sell back to the company.”

Yeesh! And:

In 2022, Celsius employees routinely discussed that CEL was “worthless,” stating that its price “should be 0,” and that Celsius should “assume CEL is $0 since we cannot liquidate our current CEL position,” and questioning whether any party (other than Celsius itself) was purchasing CEL.

And:

In April 2022, Celsius’s Coin Deployment Specialist described Celsius’s practice of “using customer stable coins” and “growing short in customer coins” to buy CEL as “very ponzi like.” A few weeks later when Celsius made another push to prop up the price of CEL, Celsius’s former Vice President of Treasury asked where the cash was coming from to make the CEL purchases and Celsius’s Coin Deployment Specialist replied, “users like always.” This same employee explained that at the time he made this statement, Celsius had “negative equity” and therefore necessarily was using customer funds when it made these purchases.

Aaaaahhhh! You can’t! You can’t send messages like that! If you find yourself messaging your boss to say things like “our business is very Ponzi like” and “we have negative equity so we’re using customer funds to buy worthless coins so our founder can cash out,” no! Stop! If you have written sentences like that, don’t send them to your boss! Print them out and get yourself a lawyer and a whistle-blower deal! My lord. This is not legal advice but what are you even doing?

i think it's really damning on regulators and law enforcement that there was so much fraud and theft going on at "major exchanges" and it was allowed to just proceed until the schemes collapsed and now they're stepping in to sort through the pieces. it was obvious to any serious person since day one that this is how everything crypto essentially operates

also if you're not subscribed to matt levine's free newsletter, i highly recommend it. it doesn't always have crypto related items, but it's generally always has a few chuckles in a "no one has any idea how things work" kind of way

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 1, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Durzel posted:

I'm not sure where I land on regulation.

On the one hand there are entities (e.g. Binance) clamoring for regulation because it would encourage mass adoption. Regulation tends to suggest legitimisation. If the Government appears to back something then people won't necessarily look beyond that, they'll just assume it's "just like stocks and shares".

On the other hand with no regulation people are just going to keep getting scammed. Crypto maxis I don't care about, but I can rustle up some sympathy for people who don't know any better, are desperate to climb out of the gutter, are outright scammed, etc.

I kinda feel like the "best" solution for crypto is to constrict every mechanism of converting it to real money. If banks are prohibited from dealing with exchanges full stop, then it will simply be impossible for your average person to get involved, and therefore prices will crater because it will only be die hards moving money through all kinds of shady outlets to ultimately get it into Binance etc. It seems like it ought to be possible for banks to maintain a list of "banned" bank accounts, etc?

yeah, when i say regulators and law enforcement are being derelict in their duties, i don't mean that they're slow in putting together a sensible regulatory framework for exchanges to operate under legally. i mean that any parties allowing crypto transactions with actual dollars should just be stopped, and the grifting party held criminally liable

evilweasel posted:

the SEC and the CFTC have been definitely wrestling to extend their control as much as possible for years

the SEC because it institutionally despises what is happening, and also because the head of the SEC is angling for a promotion and thinks that this is a way to get his name in the news, and the CFTC because they're a bunch of corrupt incompetent fucknuckles who see a chance to get lucrative jobs in the crypto industry if they become its regulator and do what they do for commodities companies (nothing, in exchange for some cushy post-CFTC jobs at FCMs - but those pay way less well than crypto companies were paying!)

it was an intensely sobering moment when i realized we have other regulatory bodies that make the sec look like a competent force against regulatory capture

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Bitcorn Magnate posted:

it honestly blows my mind how you people can come right up the to the door of understanding Bitcoin, circle around, inspect it, and then turn away.

again and again and again.

Just.. you're SO close.

it's the children who are wrong.jpg

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
one only has to look at what happened when the mother of all squeezes did happen with nickel on the london metals exchange

quote:

The London Metal Exchange suspended trading in its nickel market after an unprecedented price spike left brokers struggling to pay margin calls against unprofitable short positions, in a massive squeeze that has embroiled the largest nickel producer as well as a major Chinese bank.

nickel miners and refiners regularly take short positions on nickel futures, that way if the price they can sell their nickel for in a few months time goes down, the short acts as a hedge against their short to medium term inventory losing too much value. only the aftershocks from the russian invasion of ukraine caused the price of nickel to double in a month. nickel producers inventory was theoretically worth enough to cover the margin costs on their shorts, but practically wasn't liquid enough to convert into dollars in such a short amount of time. so nickel producers start getting margin called and the rush to cover calls results in a huge short squeeze that caused prices to nearly triple in two days (so now nickel spot price is over 5 times what it was a month ago).

the london metal exchange sees that the problem is only going to get worse and takes the unprecedented step of not only suspending trades for several days, but declaring most of the trades after the start of the squeeze to be invalid, and reversed the transactions. the lme said this was necessary to correct an aberration in the market. those on the long end of the trade who got shafted by the rollbacks said it was to protect the interests of the major nickel producers. to the lme's credit, the pause and rollbacks did lead to price stability when trading resumed, and i'd rather have the production of nickel remain stable than some hedge funds lining their pockets during a panic

but it just goes to show that "the market" isn't a force of nature, it's just an extension of our social construct. obviously if some "market aberration" was about to transfer all of humanities wealth into the hands of some retail traders, the aberration would just be correctd. it's the same issue as bitcoin, these crazies try to separate economic transactions from all other facets of society, when by definition it's as futile as say trying to separate human emotions out from music

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tnuctip posted:

All of that is very well written, but Is also a fancy way of saying the LME is rigged and bullshit.

i think rigged is a loaded word, but of course it's bullshit. it's not some immutable natural feature that mankind stumbled into and made use of, it was created to allow easier and more stable trade in metals

and why should the hedge funds holding long positions get astronomical returns while miners and their creditors go bankrupt? if a few days to liquidate some of their nickel inventory was enough to stop the entire markets movement and allow prices to stabilize and many otherwise solvent companies to operate as normal, why not step in?

or what about the recent snafu at the nyse?

a computer glitch kept a number of regular early morning auctions from occurring. this caused market participants to have much less information than usual and issues with price discovery, resulting in high volatility. the nyse voided volatile transactions in the first opening minutes, but it's not like the voided transactions were made in error, they just were made while participants were unclear on the value of the stock. but this makes sense, a market with less information is a less efficient market, and less efficient markets are worse for participants in aggregate. why should the majority of us care if an inefficient market is a windfall for a few lucky players? they're not owed some inviolable deference

as demonstrated by crypto again and again, a completely rigid and mindless financial system inevitably leads to horrific inefficiencies and and unjust outcomes, unless one takes some kind of perverse moralistic randian joy in watching someone's life savings being irretrievably launched into a black hole

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Pham Nuwen posted:

buddy that's like 60% of this thread

Agents are GO! posted:

Isn't that the point of this thread?

no, we experience a perverse schadenfreude at the ideas that are obviously stupid failing spectacularly. i'm talking about someone looking at a fat finger transaction or poorly written smart contract and going "good, the system works. the strong shall dominate the weak"

Boxturret posted:

it's more like some kind of perverse moralistic joy in watching some randian's life savings being irretrievably launched into a black hole by their own hands

yes, exactly

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
amazing that crypto managed to complete gently caress a boring entity that held msbs and treasuries and poo poo. it's got the kind of midas touch were everything just turns to poo poo

Offler posted:

The fact that not everyone involved in crypto has realized that "your money is definitely safe with us" translates to "any money stored with us will be gone in less than a week" by now is amazing.

what's the old saying about a man who has to explain why his credit is good is already ruined? something to that effect

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
silvergate couldn't survive the bank run and is wrapping up operations

a stark lesson in liability matching and liquidity. doesn't matter if your assets are solid treasuries if your liabilities are speculative ape coins that may see all of your depositors running for the exit at the same time as generational interest rate hikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
gently caress i've said a lot of mean things about the fed and their policy prerogatives over the years, but if their rate hikes manage to finally kill the shitcoin ecosystem i will be forced to hand it to them