Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
How many Stones of Jordan will a bitcoin buy? I have a ww barb and need that extra dps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Who knew the heat death of the universe would be caused by buttcoins?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Via CNBC:

"I'm not saying 'go short bitcoin and sell $100,000 of bitcoin before it goes down," he [Jamie Diamon] said. "This is not advice of what to do. My daughter bought bitcoin, it went up and now she thinks she's a genius."

In an appearance at a separate conference earlier in the day, Dimon said bitcoin mania is reminiscent of the tulip bulb craze in the 17th century.

"It's worse than tulip bulbs. It won't end well. Someone is going to get killed," Dimon said at a banking industry conference organized by Barclays. "Currencies have legal support. It will blow up."

Dimon also said he'd "fire in a second" any JPMorgan trader who was trading bitcoin, noting two reasons: "It's against our rules and they are stupid."

I mean, sure bitcoin is a competitor to banks but still LOL. Also, JPMorgan have never been wrong.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
What is the price of bitcoins today? Am I supposed to buy or sell yet?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No poo poo, it turns out that the "exchanges gonna rip you off and keep getting hacked" people are 100% dumb and making ridiculous arguments, just as I have been pointing out for months!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/08/cryptocurrency-300m-dollars-stolen-bug-ether

That's like 50 butts.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Lol, gently caress I stole a poo poo load of monopoly money, better delete the code.

/hits ctrl-x

/removes $300m in a totally legit crypto currency you guys.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

scott zoloft posted:

who are all these idiots making free money by doing loving nothing

https://youtu.be/lAD6Obi7Cag

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
You buy a bitcoin like a beanie baby and hope it appreciates in value due to its perceived rarity.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Uranium 235 posted:

it wouldn't. on GDAX, selling $1.5 mil of bitcoin right now would drop the price from $8158 to $8120

So its essentially a low volume penny stock?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

GastonEatTheEggs posted:

Daily volume for BTC/USD is in the billions, there is a buyer and seller for each of those transactions, so no, selling $1.5 million in BTC would not crash the market.

edit: actually since BTC transactions are public, there are probably "whalewatchers" who would notice if someone with thousands of coins was mass selling them and that could lead to a chain reaction crash, but again I think 1-2 million is too small relative to bitcoin daily volume

Is that for all crypto exchanges or just one?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Uranium 235 posted:

for individual exchanges, daily bitcoin volumes are in the tens or hundreds of millions (for the top exchanges). the sum volume of all exchanges adds up to several billion.

if you used $1.5 mil to tank the price on a low liquidity, low volume exchange, it wouldn't affect the other exchanges. people (or bots, more likely) would just take advantage of the arbitrage opportunity and bring the small exchange back up to near average market value

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/#markets

That's kinda what I thought. These exchanges seem like they would be very easy to manipulate. What a dumb idea for a "currency". Exchange shopping for God's sake. For a "currency". This is unlike any other market and any analogy to other markets make no sense.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Who do I have to give my credit card information to to buy a bitcoin?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
The Great EMP cannot come soon enough.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Slept with over 100 women, not that the number of partners is a big deal

lmao

*Holds hand to mouth and shouts*

How fat were they?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Lote posted:

The exchanges going down are acting like a de facto circuit breaker in the stock market. Not a great thing to trip it but if they don't come up soon, it may inspire more panic.

Lol, it's a feature of the exchange! I worked at a trading house during the flash crash and the good thing about that was that we were able to make customers whole that might have gotten hosed. It was expensive and a huge headache but there was at least accountability.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

amotea posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3T4EutKWyc
Where's all my money? Where's all my money gone???

I used to deal with people who "lost" money on non executed sales or buys all the time. Active non professional traders are some of the dumbest people on the planet. That said, this is exactly why OTC exchanges are loving stupid to have any non-trivial amount of money in. They will not help you, they will never make you whole.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
When you think about it, his balls are useless and something he no longer has access to. Much like investing in bitcoin.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

COMRADES posted:

When I click here it just takes me to the "why do I need to upload my ID?" page.

Did you pay your membership bitcoin?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Can't wait to get a 1 page prospectus with an upward line.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Shorting or going long in crypto is dumb as hell. There are no market forces at play, only marketing.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

FogHelmut posted:

Are there even weed stocks? Banks won't deal with weed because it's still federally illegal.

MJNA.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

scott zoloft posted:

I'm gonna play with eth. Should we make a new thread?

The only thing that really worried me was the eth. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an Eth binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Lol, I was on a flight and the gal next to me told me she bought into a bitcoin mutual fund. I tried to press her on what the underlying asset was and she didn't know anything about bitcoin or crypto at all. I told he to be very careful with an investment you couldn t understand. What a lol. See you at $5K

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Lemming posted:

Death to the 10,200 wall

Its called floor or support. And its psychological.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I don't understand the volitility in btc. Are a ton of stop loss orders being triggered or are a bunch of poopsockers day trading on coinbase?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Andy Dufresne posted:

Just think of it like this. At the largest bitcoin exchanges, when you sell your bitcoin you can't sell it for dollars. You sell it for USDT, which is their own proprietary digital currency. Whether the exchange will cash those USDT out for actual dollars is the question we'll see answered over the next few days.

So that's a ponzi scheme. That's what that is.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Printing tether will accelerate the crash. It'll cause a run on the "equity". At least that's what should happen.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Gdax (Coinbase) and Gemini are US based non-tether exchanges, and they are the largest exchanges too

It's Bitfinex that prints the tethers though, they bought the company that came up with it and run the scam.

Are all exchanges entirely independent? If they're independent then there would be theoretical arbitrage. If they are not, then printing tether to support the "asset" would affect other exchanges.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yep you get it, they operate independently, arbitrage is a topic that comes up periodically when the differences become pronounced

http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-cryptocurrency-arbitrage-2017-11

Holy poo poo. Well then, boys. Welcome to a new opportunity. I'm selling discount bitcoins at $8,000 USD for 1 BTC. Dont worry, it's backed by the full faith of my printed feather. I've just exposed 1,000 worth of BTC valued feather, from chewing through my monitor cord, so slots are limited.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

turn off the TV posted:

So uh bitcoin owners are selling their bitcoins mid crash for a currency called "tether" that is also imaginary money but is created by a market, and the market values each tether at 1$?

It's a good thing, and in no way a ponzi scheme waiting for fresh money to pay off the tether.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

The Glumslinger posted:

You're right, because they have made it clear they never intend to pay it off, ever

That's a lol.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Alpha Mayo posted:

a ponzi scheme within a ponzi scheme, how deep does this go

A ponzi-calzone....p-zone.....p'zone

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

smoobles posted:

At what point are you guys gonna start dumping your life savings in? I'm thinking $4k personally

Sure, I'll invest all my life savings for $0.000025 UsdT.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Andy Dufresne posted:

It's cool guys they will have a TOTALLY NOT USED FOR BITCOIN MINING I PROMISE disclaimer

Just run it in reverse. The odomoter will start to run backwards.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Three Olives posted:

I'm still not sure what the return to mean is with Bitcoin since it has absolutely no value, it's not even useful for the few things that it's supporters claim it is useful for.

How much is weed in your area?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Rad Russian posted:

This is reddit's idea of a well balanced portfolio for all of your life savings:

The efficient frontier is about 30-40 large cap stocks, assuming an efficient and rational market, so that's like 20-30 alt-coins.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Drav posted:

Bitcoin Savings & Trust, I like that! A good honest name.

Bitcoin Investment & Trading Company Holding Executive Services

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

It's insane poo poo like this that I quit working at discount brokerage. You have an opportunity cost, otherwise you're telling me fish stories.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
How is this not applying inflationary pressure on the....wait a cotton picking minute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Waltzing Along posted:

I feel like it is just a matter of time before someone comes up with a way to empty wallets efficiently.

It's already easier to do that than actual mining. Actually, know what is easier than that? Printing tether.