Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Any overcast users having problems downloading the F4W/WO podcasts recently?

At first I thought it was because I forgot to update my subscriptions with my new password. However, I've updated all my information and the podcasts still fail to download.

Wondering if they made some technical changes that broke overcast. Checking to see if anyone else has the same experience before contacting tech support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

I use the link generated by https://f4wonline.craigmcd.com/ with Overcast.

I had to go and get a new link after they got everyone to change their f4wonline passwords a week or two ago following a data breach and I noticed that where the tool used to just spit out a link with your username and password in plaintext it’s now obfuscated somehow, so maybe it’s that?
I read that thread, and I think that change was to support complex passwords (that use specific special characters)

however, I saw a post on the board where a user had a similar issue that was resolved by changing their password a second time.

after changing my password again, it's finally downloading. loving weird. 🤷‍♂️

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

more people should listen to deadlock, or at least buy their merch so they continue past episode 100

I will be a very sad dipper if the threats to quit the podcast at episode 100 aren't a bluff. It's been such a major part of my Monday morning work routine during the pandemic, I'm going to feel lost without it.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

explosivo posted:

Have they said what Johnny's up to? I know he took a bit off twitch before the Rumblethon but they've been pretty quiet since wrapping that up. I guess they have a midnight 2k22 stream coming up to prep for but I hope Johnny's good :ohdear:
dude's still tweeting on the regular :shrug:

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Suplex Liberace posted:

They should replace aew reviews with roasting or loving with Johnny

It's karmic retribution for how he treats duel, undisputed best nL boy

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’ll pay for patreon podcasts when they make it easy to just link your account or whatever to overcast and forget all about it.

Have they done that yet?
i've been using patreon with overcast for at least a year.

Patreon gives you a custom URL for each podcast you subscribe to handle everything. Just go to the patreon page for the show and click on My Membership. There will be a URL you can copy and paste into Overcast and it will download all the paywalled content for you.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
I love Jawnny’s realization that Jim Ross has always been a salty bastard. Dude’s been shitcanned from the same job too many times not to be bitter about the business.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh god jawwny's meltdown at the end
God so much of the Attitude Era is such loving trash, especially the Russo half of it.

The crazier and more hosed the booking, the better content it makes. A+ episode of Deadlock.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

doos posted:

The boys are getting increasingly unhinged.
I very much sympathize with Jawnny's Undertaker Derangement Syndrome. I always thought he was the loving worst and the only redeeming part of him was that awesome theme music from WWF The Music Vol 3.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

man vince loving hated austin and JR after he bought WCW didnt he

Vince has always treated JR as a punching bag. poo poo he got shoot fired after his first case of Bells Palsy in the mid 90s.

Just was more overt about in the 2000s with the Kiss My rear end Club and the Dr Heiny segment and Linda Ellerbee kayfabe firing him and kicking him in the nuts (which got reused in political attack ads😂).

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

Leave Nick News W5 out of this sordid tale, Linda Elerbee would never
I didn't realize until I went on youtube to look up the segment that Linda firing JR is what led to that segment from the retro review. I thought those were separate times JR was fired.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Deadlock is not up yet in my app

Where's my slop i want my slop

It’s up for me via Overcast. 🤷‍♂️

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Is that WWE joke book that Granny was reading from on the latest Bryan & Vinny show the same joke book that Jawnny read from on deadlock? I only caught like an episode or two of the podcast before the DPW boys retired that segment.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

explosivo posted:

God drat, the boys walking through the Mae Young/Moolah dog barking segment was A+ stuff. This whole episode is hilarious.
I know I watched this episode when it aired, and I do not have a single memory of any of that bullshit. maybe I flipped to the Monday Night Football game during that segment. But goddamn. Just baffling, awful poo poo that appealed to no one but Vince.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Drakkel posted:

Same, especially when the patreon shoutouts are like half the episode
They go 10 minutes! Meanwhile the retro reviews are about 2 hours give or take, depending on the length of the show being reviewed.

also shoutout to Tony for the sweet hog

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Suplex Liberace posted:

this is all cool but where's my deadlock tony, john. and james.

It was a DPW weekend, right? Those usually drop late or on Tuesday usually.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

It's up for me. Shawn loses his smile Raw.
Loving this rant where all 3 hosts go in on Shawn (even Tony drops kayfabe) being a colossal piece of poo poo. No lies detected.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

In addition, we'll be celebrating the 4th Annual DEADIES Awards, where we'll honor the best  in the world of professional wrestling from the previous year of 2022.
loving lol at Jimmy Chicken winning promo of the year

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Were those community editors not sync-ing the actual footage with their commentary? I'm not signed up for their patreon, but when they referred to "retro syncs" on the podcast I assume that's what they meant.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Suplex Liberace posted:

deadlock patreon segment is good, the 5 self referencing names were quite good.
that popped me

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol i guess bluewire finally listened to an episode

That this show made it like 4 weeks with ads is more than ever could have ever been expected

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Love a good deranged WCW ep
I know jawnny is predispositioned to hate that Raven angle being he's a ride or die ECW guy, but I think those pre-tapes with Kanyon and Sandman are the funniest poo poo. I get all the arguments about how it murders Raven's character and all that, but it's one of my favorite bad wrestling story things.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

My favorite segment of this week's deadlock is the ads that now play more often and in the middle of words instead of segment breaks
Tony and Jawnny apologized on the dpw subreddit about this already. growing pains with the new ad host system: https://reddit.com/r/deadlockpw/comments/1244f64/podcast_ads

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Sending prayers and positive vibes to Tony’s acid-ravaged butthole.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Despite running Korakuen, the boys have produced An Pod (or maybe not dude)
got a very strange ad in this week's episode. sounded like a temp track for an advertisement for another podcast.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Suplex Liberace posted:

as a person over 6 foot 3 i will also never fly again
as a tall and overweight dude, I refuse to fly without paying for upgraded seats. thankfully I haven't been in an airport since the pandemic started. don't miss that poo poo one bit.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

I know Tony picks the ads himself, so why have I just gotten 3 ads for McDonald's frozen drinks on each ad break? Is this what the boys think of me?

I got a bunch of ads for healthcare and Medicaid so they must know I’m an old fucker.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Can’t wait to settle in for another episode of Deadlock with my boys the DICKS.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

explosivo posted:

Love this discussion about doing a 3D The Long Way on Deadlock lmao

I really need to see that ragdoll wrestling game creation of this because trying to picture the physics of this in my mind is just not working

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

rotinaj posted:

I need them to watch the zz top raw
pretty sure the boys would rather quit the podcast before willingly subjecting themselves to a 3 hour raw.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

i was getting a bit down on some of the wwe reviews lately since the television is such a slog but this really was an all-timer. i think what i love about tony disassociating is that right after that he suddenly becomes the most intense person the podcast while james disassociates
I listened to the podcast as I was driving home after visiting family for the holidays and I had a loving out of body experience just listening to the recap of this awful episode of RAW. I just couldn't handle that Miz-IRS-Johnny daMON jr-Mae Young segment. goddamn that was tedious just in recap form.

I'm sure I watched this episode live since I was dumb enough to watch 09 wwe, but I must have repressed all memories of this episode.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

dsriggs posted:

Can they seriously not find a couple of hours a week where all 3 guys are free?
It sounds like the boys have been trading various sicknesses all month. not sure what you want them to do.

In this case, they say Pulse had strep throat after the WWE2k24 event, so I don't think a podcast was in the cards until he's healthy.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

related: but I had no idea stone cold had a stopover in ECW, I always thought he went straight to wwe from wcw
I assume if you were unaware of his ECW run you've never seen this promo. always been one of my favorites from Austin even if it is Heyman just gave him 5 minutes to let out his shoot frustrations with WCW. check this out (apologies for the poo poo audio quality):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlN8-Su7RGs

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

rotinaj posted:

Okay I got a brain buster for you all

When did they first start calling all promo segments a (x) “town hall” on deadlock

It still makes me giggle a good 1 out of every 3 times I hear it
Didn't AEW do a segment with Jericho and Orange(?) that was literally called a town hall? I think it was Bischoff's only appearance in that company.

edit: n/m it was with MJF during the Inner Circle days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC0bPnRNylM

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Goddamn 90s Meltzer just hits different; that rant on 97 Souled Out was A+ material. That show did really suck, but holy poo poo it pissed him off.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Is this from old eyada/LAW audio that is somehow archived, or the retro newsletter?
from the retro newsletter.

jethro quoted the bit that jawnny recited on the podcast, link is here if you pay: https://members.f4wonline.com/wrestling-observer-newsletter/feb-3-1997-wrestling-observer-newsletter-jerry-graham-passes-away

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what? ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny?
was neil cicierega a goon? I suppose that shouldn't surprise me, but it still kind of does.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Numbers or qualitative ratings are fine, people just don't know that the way you use ratings for art is to find someone whose tastes mostly align with yours and use their ratings as a rough metric of whether you should consume that piece of art. Conversely, I know my tastes are basically the opposite of Armond White so an Armond 1 is a ten for me.
Totally agreed.

Dave Meltzer doesn't get to unilaterally define the wrestling canon. People (maybe it's just the online wrestling communities?) get real weird about his ratings. Who cares if he gave the match 4 stars or 5 stars or 7 stars or even MINUS FIVE STARS? Like what you want, don't like what you want. It's entertainment and art. There's nothing measurable or objective about anyone's opinion of it.

I do wonder why wrestling never developed an industry of critics like there are for all other forms of art and entertainment. Just curious that Meltzer is the only one that seems to write about wrestling beyond simple news reporting and backstage shenanigans.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

There are tons of people who write about wrestling like that and in the mid 2010s a small cottage industry of truly awful writers like Brandon Stroud started trying to write about wrestling beyond what people expect from a "dirt sheet" for major online outlets. It sucked, even before Stroud and some of the others were outed as predators. It led to really really lame poo poo like Wrestling Isn't Wrestling. There's people who write interesting stuff about wrestling, but people who try to elevate it beyond what it is generally suck at it. But for the most part wrestling is a very small niche thing. Real sports have tens of thousands of people attending games multiple times per week. Wrestling does it once or twice per week. If two million people see a big budget movie in its first week its a huge flop, but that's a huge audience for wrestling. It's something that is notable for its ability to get people to tune in on cable TV, but in the grand scheme of things for US culture it's very small compared to other forms of mass entertainment. It's audience is also poor, so while theater might have a smaller audience it is much more upscale and has a history of cultural importance.
Thanks for the knowledge, MRT and PaybackJack. Wade Keller and PWTorch did slip my mind.

I've been lurking online wrestling communities dating back to rec.sport.pro-wrestling in the late 90s and it isn't surprising why Dave's opinion is so respected. The man has doing it longer than everyone by far.

The conversation and quibbling about 4.5 or 5 stars or whatever is just one of the more tedious debates in the community. I'd rather just talk about loving cool matches without having to hear about why one is "objectively better" than another because 1 guy says so.

ToiletofSadness fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol this thunder was picked specifically to drive jawwny insane
which I am super down for. I think these Raven skits with Kanyon and Sandman are loving hilarious. But my first exposure to ECW was finding it by accident after they started airing on TNN. So I was never bought into the lore about Raven. I didn't see all that stuff until years later thanks to pwtorrents.