Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
always thought it was wild that the israeli right-wing aligned itself with its fundamentalists who basically don't participate in any of the civic institutions of israel but still get to dictate what happens and how to best accommodate their genocidal views. seems bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

I can't tell if talk about trying to rebuild the temple for their sake is people being ironic or taking what conservatives say literally, or if this is a real policy agenda that has led the Israeli right to steer their country directly onto the rocks.

i should have specified that I was talking about the orthodox jews who don't participate in the IDF or anything else, but yeah christian fundamentalists are just as committed to destroying israel by causing its civil society to eventually implode

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
well if you keep doing it, everyone will be free from the tyranny of being alive

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
comparing palestine to ukraine is pretty fun for making people go apoplectic online

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Apparently they've started construction of USS Fallujah, work began this year.

genuinely thought this was a joke.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

lol what is going on why are journalists suddenly doing journalism

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
he should have donated his likes to an aid organization like getfiscal does

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

i say swears online posted:

i remember somethingawful going crazy over jack layton like a decade ago. was it just rose-colored glasses because he was dying

the ndp was the second largest party in canada for the first time in terms of seat count in parliament, but it was a flash in the pan and was more because the liberal party briefly collapsed than any sustainable left-wing swing.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

The Oldest Man posted:

I think the average American thinks Gaza is a full on ISIS terror training camp with tents and poo poo

the channel 5 videos someone posted a while back are pretty indicative. the israel supporters have no loving clue why Palestinians are mad, the idea of blowback doesn't mean anything to anyone it's just there's finally a reason to be really upset

the last part of the israel channel 5 video is chilling since the lady knows a bunch of people who were kidnapped but she suggests they need to do something other than engage in dialogue with Palestinians which both means greenlighting a genocide and also apparently giving up on getting those hostages out alive you apparently know personally to fuel your bloodlust.

also i'm sure someone's made the point but the whole 911 comparison every hack is making is darkly funny. do people think america's reaction to that resulted in anything good? even for america?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

dads friend steve posted:

Bibi taking the noble stance of allowing all POWs in Gaza to die from Israeli bombs

it feels like since the crisis kicked off the media has already written them off so everyone assumes they're dead already so you may as well and just glass gaza. this conflict is cynical and awful already but that felt particularly brazen.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

okay i guess now i sort of get why the israeli government doesn't seem overly concerned about keeping the hostages alive

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
someone said it ages ago but israeli defenders online have mastered both woke and anti-woke arguments for israel, they are truly masters of their craft

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

The Oldest Man posted:

dissent from the imperial line is tolerated as long as it's contained and futile

any outcry against the machinery that looks like it might result in popular mobilization is destroyed without mercy; the more threatened the elite feel, the lower the bar gets for "might result"

your political views that were allowed as quaint progressive eccentricities and affectations yesterday will become prison sentences tomorrow

anybody who didn't realize this about the system we're living in was and quite possibly still is lying to themselves about the nature of that system

I think it just feels over the top because often the dissent is contained and futile and still gets slammed down hard, like random people at Ivey leagues, random provincial politicians here in Canada or the UN secretary general. All people who either are irrelevant to, or will happily serve, the processes that allow empire to continue, but are still immediately crushed when they don't show enough deference. It's going to slowly further erode support for Israel in the long run, but nothing Israel currently does could be considered long-term thinking.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 03:14 on Oct 26, 2023

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Atrocious Joe posted:

All men must die, but death can vary in its significance. The ancient Chinese writer Szuma Chien said, "Though death befalls all men alike, it may be weightier than Mount Tai or lighter than a feather." To die for the people is weightier than Mount Tai, but to work for the fascists and die for the exploiters and oppressors is lighter than a feather.
https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/mao/works/red-book/ch17.htm

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Neurolimal posted:

IIRC hostage rescue operations objectively have a way worse survival rate for hostages than just, negotiating

i always think about the russian op at the theatre in moscow where basically everyone died after getting gassed and it wasn't clear (at the time, anyway) if the russian ops hosed up or if they just knew it was going to happen anwyay

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

850 hostages, 150 killed is not bad, all things considered. In South Ossetia they had to use a tank to break into the school, supported by helicopter gunships, 300 hostages killed out of 1100.

I think honestly Russia does not get enough credit for these operations, but this is neither here nor there.

Yeah I didn't remember the numbers, fair enough.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Blarghalt posted:

As far as I'm concerned Israeli and Jew are two entirely separate identities at this point and any attempt by the former to mantle the latter must be treated with blatant contempt

Considering how Israel has treated some Jews (Ethiopian and Arab come to mind), I would hope people would do the same at this point.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiaUusr7YdY

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Calibanibal posted:

I'm calling on all Palestinian citizens to switch to a defensive stance. A 10% damage reduction may sound insignificant but it could mean the difference between life and death

Didn't realize you were back! You were missed.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Maya Fey posted:

i'll be voting

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
If people are digging into what historians have written on the subject, Tony Judt's writing on Israel is also excellent.

edit: lmao I forgot about this one:

quote:

Q: How do you see Israel's actions in the Flotilla affair?
A: The characterization that comes to mind is "autistic."

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 01:19 on Oct 30, 2023

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

crepeface posted:

it's funny to have this thread be one of the only places for reasonable discussion regarding israel/palestine (destruction of the state of israel) due to gbs being too r-worded and d&d being a training dojo for the calmest hitler because it results in people new to c-spam casually assuming their braindead opinions like "russian military equipment sucks" and "ukraine isn't a western proxy" are broadly shared here

pro-ukraine and pro-israel posters are incredible people

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The damage to Israel's internal productivity is also massive. 500,000 reservists mobilized for what could be months on end, up to 330,000 people internally displaced with way more on the horizon if Hezbollah joins in and starts blasting Israeli neighborhoods with some actual ballistic missiles and not just Qassam bottle rockets.

Doesn't Israel also rely on Palestinians for a lot of labour? Just another massacre of the working class.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's so funny that the anti-communist academic project to destroy materialist dialectics in the 20th century has utterly poisoned the Imperialists' ability to think coherently about any problem.

anti-marxist economics has utterly poisoned the imperial core of being able to escape the catastrophe that is capitalism so really marx just keeps racking up Ws all around.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Calibanibal posted:

the people who hate blood quantums have thin, weak bloodlines

the blood quantum of solace

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

crepeface posted:

finance capital is at the top, amerca's military institutions are hollowed out too. look at the ukraine/russia war and check out their artillery shell production being comprised of guys that hand paint numbers on them. or a navy steel supplier faking strength tests. or airforce guys spending the budget on hookers. or the f35.

So much of American politics is about trying to loot the empire before it collapses.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

glorious

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Turdfuzz posted:

i have some jewish ancestory (1/8th jewish princess) but i have no desire to go to israel and promote apartheid
it's weird as gently caress to me

it's easier to understand israel as an ideological project of a bunch of right-wing psychos who realized it's easier to do genocide if you use a past genocide as cover for it. everything stems from that basically, jewish ancestry is just the cover.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i honestly don't know how you have a conversation with anyone who remotely thinks this is justified or fine. it's just butchering thousands of children

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Jizzny Princess posted:

These poor kids.

gently caress Israel. gently caress the USA

gently caress

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
mods set up shifts to chain probe the anti-union guy post in the union thread. solidarity works.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

This is how people remember King Phillip's War, the biggest war against the Powhatan.

Pretty much any narrative about native people in the Americas until recently focuses on native raids and violence towards settlers.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to Israeli intelligence about Hamas. It's about putting up enough of a front to appease the domestic base in Israel

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

This is just an ideology/mindset passed down to people. Being Jewish doesn't inherently lead someone to think like this unless they grow up in a family or attend a synagogue where everyone tells them this is the case. I see this split in my own family - the only Jews in my family who think like this are the ones who grew up regularly attending a synagogue where they were all infused with this mentality. Those of us who didn't aren't like that.

Anecdotally, there also seems to be a socioeconomic element to it. All the Jews in my extended family who think like this (with a big focus on "the need for Jews to protect their own and support Israel") are well-off, and I think this makes people inclined to feel anxiety over things that are more abstract and not directly part of their own "lived experience." Meanwhile, the rest of us are far more concerned about the normal material concerns that afflict most people in our world. Worrying about affording healthcare or losing your job tends to take precedence over "the philosophical concept that Holocaust 2 is inevitable."

That's why it's easier to see this all of this in ideological terms, to me. Antisemtism is just anticommunism by other means, mainly because historically Jews played an important part of a number of labour movements.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

crepeface posted:

yeah, the ukraine thread really revealed exactly how the power structures and people of the fascist governments were preserved.

fascist elements but wedded to hard nosed neoliberalism. it's truly frightening how awful it is. blood and soil nationalism but you don't actually get to own any of the soil, or probably your blood because it's all been privatized

like most existential wars tend to increase government investment and nationalization of industries but ukraine saw a massive firesale of public infrastructure and institutions. Ukrainians are dying defending a country that's being sold out by their leaders from under them.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

mark immune posted:

regarding my previous post about hitler, you do not under any circumstances have to “let him cook”

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
fink would lose his mind the first time he got a sixer

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
equivocating both things is about leveling the moral argument so that both sides have inflicted equal amounts of hurt and are equally wrong

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
there's also the sleight of hand where you start the tally of wrongs at october 7th and not before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i've seen a lot of pundits using the hamas videos of the night of the raids and killings as proof of hamas inhumanity and barbarity, because a guy talking about how happy is killing israelis is a lot more impactful to these people than the slow-motion slaughter of thousands of children in the distances through artillery and blockades.