Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

Shields are a weird nexus of multiple plot threads. They stop guns AND attract worms AND blow up w/lasers AND can be beaten with knives...
And then, why is knife fighting so common? No one was running around medieval battlefields with miscellaneous knives. If anything the Sardaukar should present massed pike formations with a few sword-and-buckler dudes in the front.

Medieval warriors specifically carried thin bladed daggers to thrust through the armours' weak points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Patrat posted:

That was something that always bothered me about shields and large scale warfare. You would think you would put your elite dudes in Space Plate Armour as well as a shield. They should be able to make something that is proof against a knife being pushed through it for that matter. Space metal chain in the joints or whatever.

But then I am not quite sure what combat would look like. People with combat cordless angle iron grinders wrestling each other then trying to cut into armour?

Angle grinders would be too fast. Powered clamps perhaps? And gas. And lasgun mines or RC drones with lasguns.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Joke Miriam posted:

I really want this movie to be successful so they can keep making Dune movies forever right up to the schlock of books 5+6.

There's more than one book?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

William Bear posted:

"look, im not saying that paul atriedes was a gamer. that would be ludicrous. im simply saying that if games had existed at the time,"

they use the mentats as nintendos

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ElGroucho posted:

I didn't see a lot of smiling face, or good food

what do fremen eat, worm poop?

they pulverize the poop cubes that drop from the stillsuits and spit on them

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mozi posted:

having not read the prequel books, i just don't understand why the Baron, a man who wallows in physical pleasures like a pig in a mud pit, a man of pure corrupt excess, is fat. maybe his mother made him eat too much broccoli as a child? this needs explaining.

he was cursed by a catholic space witch

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Buller posted:

Is it worth reading Messiah? Dont know if I wanna savor the first book some before continuing, maybe in some months.

quit while your winning and dont read the other books

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Alchenar posted:

This comment under the Dune 2000 video is the most perfect description of it:

"One of the greatest school plays ever filmed."

lol

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The Bloop posted:

They also eat rear end

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

kalel posted:

I'm going to read dune and then stop. Wish me luck

ah, another cultured gentleman

good luck!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The Bloop posted:

CHOOM GANG

CHOAM GANG

choad gang next

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Soul Dentist posted:

I can't think of any reason that wouldn't be pseudoscientific. Maybe it lets the furnace-like heat out and it melts sand causing friction? It'd be tough to stand next to a cracked open furnace like that though.

Maybe the worms get some sort of infection from sand plankton or an imported species and their genetic memory keeps open wounds above sand.

Also, is there a quote of how hard the scales are? Maybe worms just aren't as armored as I remember and they are always portrayed as too dragon-y instead of like earth worms.

It's all speculation anyways, although a whale attacked with a harpoon often won't dive, paradoxically. It will pull and stay near the surface. Perhaps there's some Moby Dick influence I've missed?

"What is the name of the early Arabic Muslim prophet that lives in the desert?"
"Ishmael"
"Call me Ishmael"

:monocle:

whales come to surface to breath, so they can't dive to the depths straight after

and whales aren't killed by the harpoons, but by the lances

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

YoursTruly posted:

I remember playing the Dune (1992) game on SEGA. I just read through the Wikipedia summary of the gameplay, and it sounds really cool! All I remember was talking to a bunch of palace advisors, flying to a sietch, maybe yes or maybe no recruiting them, and then walking on foot to the nearest Harkonnen fortress alone and getting killed. The animation of turning into a skeleton in the desert was :krad:

it's a great game

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phlegmish posted:

European aristocrats: We've done it. We've created the Kwisatz Haderach

Kwisatz Haderach:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

there was also the roman empire

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

why didn't jessica use her magic pussy to pop out a girl too to be married to harkonnens?

she had years to do it

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

how would they even have satellites without computers

have they duct taped mentats with space suits into a ball and dropped them in space

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

when they play video games with mentats, are nipples or dick the controller

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

if you need more computational power, can you connect mentats into a human centipede?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

adamantium|wang posted:

In parallel or serial?

human centipedes are inherently serial

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

why is everyone so scared abpout the sardakars

you can crush them with harvesters

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

better acting than dunc paul

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Alchenar posted:

It's necessary. If you don't have the budget for big sets of vfx or any of the things that DV uses to establish that this world is strange and different then you have to dress everyone up in goofy costumes and tell them to act really weird.

yeah, like in star trek

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

pro-click

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

priznat posted:

Some interesting DUNC content from these FX guys, comparing Lynch Dune with Villeneuve’s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHPkdMGI6D4

there might be some interesting stuff in that video but it's unwatchable because of the very youtubey people in it

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

sebmojo posted:

Yeah it was some mediaevalist or something. Was fairly convincing. As with many of Frank's Big Ideas of doesn't stand up to a lot of scrutiny

that quote seems to be written by this goober: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7033825.G_Michael_Hopf

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

it's a poo poo trope

pampered knights and overly well fed 1st worlders make for better troops than peasants and 3rd worlders who have lived much harder lives

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

looks like that the acoup guy is a cultured gentleman who enjoys the finer things in life, eg. the 2000 series

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mister Speaker posted:

Hard times create strong men
Strong men create peepee poopoo
Peepee poopoo is processed in the thighpads

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The Bloop posted:

The ornithopter represents the penis, and the sandstorm the vagina

In this way the film offers commentary on the relationship between sex and gender in the modern world

In my next essay I shall explain why I want to gently caress the sand compactor

so... when is it due?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

THE BAR posted:

What does Bidenesque even mean? I can't name a single identifying policy of that man.

he makes goons angery

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Roblo posted:

Saw it in a normal cinema. loving loved it. Even if I did have to piss twice.

hopefully in your stillsuit

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

That's not just a failson book thing, at least.
Maybe the shortening of the way refers to greatly simplified family trees, after the Hapsburg model.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ror posted:

Denis please use a scientifically accurate voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTkF8tomobA

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

kiimo posted:

in Samwise voice: that wedding ring looks like a burden, master groom. Perhaps i can...share the load

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The Bloop posted:

Shaddam IV, Padishah Emperor of the Known Universe should be portrayed by:

1) Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

2) Daniel Michael "Danny" DeVito Jr.

3) Ronald "Christopher" Walken

4) Wayne Alphonso Brady

salvador dali

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

sebmojo posted:

black adder christmas special i think

e: yup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfYx_013UuY

now that's a great dune adaptation!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Greggster posted:

Sean Bene Gesserit

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Finally got around to watch it, must say its a movie for people who have either read the book or at least seen the other movie, or know someone who has read the books.
If you go into this blind, you have no idea what half of the stuff is supposed to mean.

i thought the same, but some of my friends who hadn't read the books said that they got stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Did they get "the fat rainman having a seizure"?
Thats what a friend of mine asked, and i think Mentats werent explained partucularly well, as was the absence of computers except warp-travel exists and "whats a navigator, are they like in 40k?"

hah, no, they thought that was some scifi magic stuff