Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Yeah it took me a second to see the kissanime watermark. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Shaft still kept some of their other trademark visual things in March Lion, like the occasional slow-mo shots of characters turning their heads during dramatic moments, and they always do those tight zoom shots of characters' faces with wildly altered color palettes and flat color backgrounds during any fast-paced comedy dialogue. Those stylistic flairs really mesh well with the show's content, and make me happy.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Wark Say posted:

They're also probably the best characters Yuka Iguchi and Kana Hanazawa have voiced, respectively.

Have you been watching March comes in like a Lion? Kana Hanazawa's work as Shirase is fantastic, but her voicing of Hina in March Lion has been jaw-dropping over the last six episodes or so.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I am enjoying Pop Team Epic a lot, enough that I actually watch both A and B sides every week.

I can certainly see the humor being entirely hit-or-miss with people though. The reactions to the show that I've read remind me a bit of how people responded to Sakamoto desu ga; If you're not a fan of absurdity for the sake of absurdity, then the comedy might come off as uninspired "lol so random" or whatever. Personally I'm a sucker for that kind of humor, especially when it's in a format that leaves me amazed it actually got funding and is airing on TV in Japan. The ongoing voice acting schtick is amazing, and as Expect My Mom pointed out it's really cool that all of these artists from outside of the anime industry are getting their work showcased in what seems to be a popular show.

Hoshiiro Girldrop is a great little parody. It dances on that Poe's Law line between poking fun at a multitude of modern anime tropes and being a show that people actually want to see fully animated.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

gmq posted:

I think the series just wasn't what I was expecting.

Everything up to his sister appearing was the MC dealing with normal-ish problems with a cute surrogate family with their own problems and slowly making progress and then suddenly it went "oh yeah, his sister (maybe) raped him and still goes out of her way to ruin his life because of reasons." I'm not saying it's bad, maybe it handles the (incredibly heavy) topic flawlessly but I just didn't want to watch that kind of thing.

Kyouko doesn't even show up in ~90% or more of the show and I don't think that extrapolating sexual assault from the little physical closeness we've been shown is a safe assumption at all.

As the show gets past Rei's decidedly depressing backstory and further into his relationships with the Kawamotos, Shimada, Nikaidou, and all of the other pro Shogi players, the tone gets much less grim and trends towards hopeful even when sad things happen. There's heaps of the good and satisfying type of personal progress and I find it really rewarding to watch/read. If you liked everything non-Kyouko, then I hope you don't let that one relatively minor character ruin it for you.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

tbf, I totally see where that reading comes from tho before it goes in detail.

Oh for sure, and I had the same though when I read that chapter for the first time. I'm not saying it's unreasonable to wonder if she sexually assaulted Rei, just that the audience isn't expressly shown or told if something like that happened so assuming that it did is a stretch.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Endorph posted:

what on earth gave you this impression

edit: oh wait we're supposed to go 'yeah i can see this' apparently

I don't think that any sexual assault actually happened, but considering the imagery used I'm not surprised that some other viewers assumed it did, especially after they just saw Kyouko bullying/punching Rei earlier in that episode.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I'm so incredibly happy right now!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Rakugo ignored, somehow not surprised. :smith:

Cake Attack posted:

the normie sweep

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Agronox posted:

She’s very good.

:hai:

https://i.imgur.com/YJiEuBT.gifv

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Ooooo pretty backgrounds. Is this a movie? It looks like a movie, and I would like to watch it.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Somehow I always knew that Koizumi-san would inevitably turn into a yandere horror show.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

chumbler posted:

Did somebody get between her and ramen?

Not yet . . .

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

i havent been watching it but my friend described it as being absolutely plausible for it to have a Nice Boat ending

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek there; it's not seriously going to turn into a bloody mess all of the sudden so don't worry. The yandere stuff was to set up a punchline later in the episode. Yuu really is a bit of a persistent creep though, huh?

AnacondaHL posted:

Every episode makes me think more about scurvy and high triglyceride levels. Like holy poo poo this high school girl is killing herself and we're all just watching.

This seems much more likely. Please take care of your health, salty noodle-loving girl.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

It's just dawning on me that spring season is going to have way too many shows that I want to watch. Golden Kamuy, Hinamatsuri, Chio-chan's Way to Class, Megalo Box, Love is Hard for an Otaku, Amanchu S2, MHA S3 . . .

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Coaaab posted:

Chio-chan's a summer show now

Oh drat you're right. I'm half sad, and half relieved that it will be less of a struggle to keep up with all of these shows.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

MAL has it categorized as TV, but doesn't have number of episodes listed. I think it looks kickin' rad so I'll watch it no matter what format it's in.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

dogsicle posted:

I'm ready for all the guys to get jacked up on animal aphrodisiacs and get naked and horny in a hut

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Spring Season 2018: Bears

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

It doesn't bother me if folks want to gush about Symphogear all the time, after all I feel the same way about shows like Chihayafuru and 3-gatsu.

But the spring thread title should be about an airing show, and preferably be something about Anzu, or Hitomi, or bears, or eating delicious brains with osoma.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

I'm honestly scared to watch Antarctica. I don't want to cry right now.

It will be the good cathartic kind of cry at least. It's a very good episode in a very good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

My Winter Season retrospective with completely subjective grades:

March Lion S2 cour 2: A++ IMO the best anime with episodes airing this season by a decent margin. I cannot fanboy over this series enough, please watch 3-gatsu no Lion.

A Place Further Than the Universe: A+ incredibly good, especially since I went in with zero expectations and got a wonderful boatfull of feels.

Yuru Camp: A+ exactly what I wanted out of the adaptation, very well put together plus great voice acting and soundtrack to boot. Where can I apply to join Secret Society BLANKET?

Citrus: B+ pretty enjoyable yuri melodrama, but inherited a lot of awkward pacing (and hell, writing in general) from the source material.

Takagi-san: B cute and funny but it felt a bit dragged-out. Maybe 12-minute episodes would have been a better fit, although I did enjoy the segments with the side trio girls just as much as the main couple so who knows.

Darling in the FranXZXZXXXX: B LMBHO (this means "laughing my butt handles off" for you fellow olds who don't know this fancy new internet lingo)

Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san: C why did I watch every episode of this instead of watching more Hakumei or Violet Evergarden? I guess it was easy to put on while I ate a meal, and totally inoffensive except for the episode where the main character goes full yandere and slaughters the rest of the cast (that's a lie, I made that up, they just eat noodles and gyoza and stuff).

Mitsuboshi Colors: C- this adaptation was low-effort and it shows to an annoyingly high degree. The manga is good, so just read that instead.
:goonsay:

Pop Team Epic: S Perfect! Accuracy 100% Hoooooly poo poo I love this stupid show and all of the people who helped to make it.

Shows that I watched two episodes of, but will absolutely find time to finish soon because I liked what I saw: Violet Evergarden, Hakumei and Mikochi.

• Locked thread