Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

What's #springst?

edit - a Victorian politics thing?

e2: \/\/ Thought so, thanks

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I think you guys woudl be proud of me, tonight a friend was complaining that the founder / boss of the hedge fund she works for in New York sent out a blistering email saying that anyone who works from home during the blizzard will have half a vacation day taken out of their leave or whatever, and i asked if she had a union and got to make the easy point that this was exactly the kind of thing that unions are for. at at a table of pretty rabid capitalists. it didnt;' go down great but i was prety pissed after a good day at the circket and it's all sweet.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Anidav posted:

Opinion: Australia becoming a republic would be a blow to democracy

Des Houghton

I HAVE a horrible feeling Australia will be a republic within two or three years.

And this great nation will be the worse for it.

Now the trendy republicans are trying to hoodwink us into accepting another form of government that is demonstrably inferior to the one we have at the moment.

Along the way a campaign to besmirch the monarchy is gathering pace.

However we must never forget that English settlement had a great civilising effect on this brown land.
Unfortunately, Australia's head of state Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Australia is regarded by many young people as a dear old has-been. Regardless of what you think of her she remains our constitutional safeguard. She remains a permanent protector of our Constitution. Her very existence ensures out democracy, enshrined in the Constitution, stay inviolate.

Her Maj is 91 and she did look rather frail delivering her Christmas Day oratory.

Republicans are choosing their words carefully but I suspect they are quietly waiting for the Queen to die before they strike.

Republicans hope Prince Charles wont command the same respect when he inevitably becomes king.

Difficult questions remain unanswered.

If we do get a republic, who will be the first President of Australia? You tell me.

Will it be an elder statesman like Phillip Ruddock or George Brandis, or will it be Jonathan Thurston or Wally Lewis?

Will an elected head of state have the power to usurp the decisions of the parliament? Surely that would be a blow to democracy. So the republic was and remains a very bad idea.

God Save the Queen; from republicans.

This... this is one of the worst things I've ever read. It doesn't say anything. Like if it was posted in these forums it'd probably be probatable.

Regardless of how demonstrably undemocratic an unelected head of state is, how is the queen the protector of our constitution, more so than say, our supreme court?

Yes, the question of who our head of state will be is unanswered, because we haven't even decided if we can ask it yet.

(Incidentally, if anything productive is to come out of this post, who would be a good head of state?)

If this is what the monarchists have to offer then yes, we almost certainly will be a republic in the next few years.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Just look at that last line:

"Will an elected head of state have the power to usurp the decisions of the parliament? Surely that would be a blow to democracy. So the republic was and remains a very bad idea."

He literally poses a question, takes it upon himself to answer it, and then uses his completely unqualified answer to reach the conclusion he wants. It's astonishingly bad writing, even for someone in primary school.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 24, 2018

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

MikeJF posted:

We want someone to wield reserve power. And we want them to be apolitical, which is why I'm wary of direct election. But the popular image of a 'president' is so overwhelmed by America people wouldn't accept any other method.

I like the old federal council plan. Each state parilament appoints a governor by supermajority, together 5/6 of governors wield reserve power.

I also reckon even if we did that, we should just declare the PM the head of state. It's a dumb seperation.

Haven't heard that before, sounds interesting. Seems to lack a certain grace though. Is the governor a premier? Don't we want to keep state and federal more seperate than that? Assuming we keep the states of course.

Speaking of which, I thought it was weird when they decided that Clover Moore couldn't simultaneously be the mayor of Sydney and the Member for Sydney in state Parliment. Surely that's a good and efficient use of mayor-ing? To represent the citizens?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

God I hate the amount of duplication we have in our governments.

I know I've said it before, but what the gently caress are we paying all these people for. Ribbon cutting?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Kafka Syrup posted:

I'm super in favour of a Federal Council as head of state, but more like Switzerland than the old model. Each state (NT and ACT become states) directly elects OVOV one councillor as does the First Nations community, with a total of 9, with a rotating Presidency every six month, with a mere majority able to make most decisions and a supermajority of 7 required to use reserve powers to dissolve Parliament.

but they all have to wear masks like it's Eyes Wide Shut

Not sure about the first part, but I'm sold on the second.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Whitlam posted:

There's nothing they do that a state government couldn't do.

Wrong way round Whitlam! Get rid of states, there's nothing they do that the federal / locals can't do. Surely we need councils more than we need states.

Sorry about Chance, good luck lil' pup.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CrazyTolradi posted:

Getting rid of councils makes a lot more sense than getting rid of states. There's no way that councils could provide the services that the states do and not run into severe funding issues, royally gently caress it up or both. LGA's are by far the most corrupt level of government in Australia, and by and large the majority of them aren't even ashamed of it.

The concept of getting rid of the states is pretty nigh on impossible with how fundamental they are in regards to the constitution, where as removing LGA's is something that can be done on a state level.

I'm saying the federal level should do most of what the states do, not councils. And the constitutional thing is part of the problem and why they need to be done away with. Councils are more relevent to people's lives than the states, which are almost a pointlessly duplicitous abstraction.

Whitlam posted:

States rool councilz drool.

goddamn it this makes me madder than almost anything in these threads, I'm out!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I can't remember which month it was but we did this in depth a while back, and I don't want to redo it, but I'm talking about education, health, transport, police, etc. all of these would surely be better administered at a federal level and make little to no sense to be duplicated 8 times or whatever. Waste too, but that's another topic I can elaborate on later.

Councils are for hokey local stuff like I don't know, color schemes of local streets and bake sales and stuff. Things which affect that community directly.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CrazyTolradi posted:

You already do with every post you make.

What?

And yeah Whitman I hear ya, cheers.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

everyone check the GBS austhread

If anyone is about to go to bed, don't do this, and definitely don't check post history

Like actually blowing Dane cook would be better

loving hell

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

She's a trust fund child wet Liberal who believes that her particular brand of conservative second wave feminism is the only right one

really, you want to do this again?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

State the facts in evidence? Sure

go on then, state some facts as evidence which shows she believes that her particular brand of conservative second wave feminism is the only right one

better yet, find something better to do than winding me up with low effort trolls goddamn it.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Krabboss posted:

The Mia Freedman respecter has logged on.

I'm the one who literally just asked for evidence to support a claim about someone's beliefs. Judging by the responses, there isn't any. Good job auspol.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

People are idiots JBP

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Don't have any details, but 6 x 2 person eco-tents doesn't sound like too big a deal? More people in the park might increase appreciation for it?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

JBP posted:

It looked to me like a group of people blooding themselves and demonstrating to each other how on board they were with the crew. Not well planned or well intended. A circle jerk.

This is pretty much the world in general to be fair.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Check it guys

https://www.facebook.com/ClimateChangeIsNatural/posts/1748447445207174

Edit - nvm sorry pretty obvious should have looked closer

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 30, 2018

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I couldn't really see it on my phone but yes I realised seconds after posting, please excuse me for an unnecessary post

JBP posted:

"Supreme Feminism Council of Mia Freedmania"

Come on now

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hooman posted:

The whole "reduce animal cruelty by not eating meat" seems like falling into the trap of thinking individual action makes a measurable difference.

Far better than trying to convince literally everyone to not eat meat would be to legislate that meat and milk be produced far less cruelly and accept that the decreased production per animal will result in higher shelf prices and thus reduce cruelty at the start and reduce consumption at the end by using economic drivers rather than relying on good actors to change their behavior since people are fundamentally selfish assholes.

I understand how much cruelty goes into all the meat, eggs and milk I consume but I don't have enough personal runtime to make the changes necessary to ameliorate it and I'm someone who cares and wants to do the right thing.

Regulation needs to price in externalities in cruelty, slavery, environmental damage etc, by either making them unprofitable compared to non damaging competitors or preventing those practices in the first place and that can only happen through collective political action, not by shouting at people in a restaurant.

Get people to Eat way more kangaroo

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Not just unnecessary but actively damaging, congrats. Good thing this one was 'pretty obvious', I assume if they'd faked it just slightly better you'd be spreading it everywhere and getting the other easily led ranting and raging against the drat muzzies. :cheers:

Maybe if people when they saw a poo poo-stirring post took two seconds to loving think you wouldn't see a lot of what gets people going being spread about, eh

Yeah totally, thanks, you got me, I'm all about ranting against the drat muzzies, you loving weirdo

I could try and say it came out wrong but I recognize that's weak so I just owned it and apologized but good on younfor dragging it out again

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

bandaid.friend posted:

I don't think news corp would have supported changing the date if she was more polite. They'd have found something to fault in an Invasion Day march regardless. I don't want to blame her because a media empire is intent on making targets out of women of colour who step out of line

When someone literally says "gently caress Australia, burn it to the ground", unironically, in public, with a megaphone, to a crowd of people, their gender and race don't come into it.

I think it was a mistake and I wish it had been better separated from the change the date movement.

I support changing the date (and remember being outnumbered in an argument about it in here a few months ago). I think it is important to separate that conversation from a hatred of Australia, because it is basically an impossible argument to win. I think there are things to celebrate and wish we could do it on a day which can be happy for everyone. That's what the message needs to be to succeed. This kind of rhetoric won't help that happen.

Hating Australia is totally valid, and I'm sad and sorry this woman experiences such sorrow living here and for the pain her people continue to experience. I wish her all the best.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Remember all those white guys who openly advocate for genocide and the massive hate campaigns news corp launched against them?

I suspect this is your point, but who were they and what were they saying?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Cartoon posted:

What all of us should have against Ian. You see in the seventies and eighties there was a thing called bottom of the harbour. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_of_the_harbour_tax_avoidance Ian was the Skase of his generation and was last seen evading creditors on his yacht as it sailed for international waters through Sydney heads sometime in about 1983. Once all of the enforcement action and legal wrangling had died down (And it was clear he had gotten away with it) he returned to Australia and started Clean Up Australia as a way to restore his public profile. He has gone to extensive lengths since to keep all the dirt about his earlier career off the front pages and must have a team of media managers continuously washing his web history so https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Kiernan makes no mention of it.

The latter out weighs the former. Especially since it sounds like they were working within the law until the gov cottoned on and changed the law.

Don't know about him ripping anyone other than the ATO off though, you haven't provided any evidence

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's not as bad as clean up Australia is good.

Birdstrike posted:

I too think tax evasion schemes which have the destruction of records as a defining feature are within the law.

According to the link posted, 40 years ago they literally were?

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 31, 2018

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The article you linked didn't even mention Kiernan? And there are no details about who got ripped off? I mean even for your addled mind this is shaky sir.

Cartoon posted:

You really are the gift that keeps on loving up, making GBS threads on itself and then falling down in the accumulated mess.

But enough about your toilet habits

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Cartoon posted:

If you think I'm going to go and get copies of the front pages of newspapers from forty years ago just for you then you are even more loving deluded and hosed up than on one of your 'classic' flavour melt down days. Fortunately THE loving ARTICLE I LINKED INCLUDES IT IN THE VERY FIRST TOPIC FOR FUCKS SAKE:
And yes they were mum and dad investors.

You really are the gift that keeps on loving up, making GBS threads on itself and then falling down in the accumulated mess.

I also love that this posts describes mine as a 'meltdown'. Priceless.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Cartoon posted:

Well yes but you may have noted (lol who am I kidding) that I addressed that exact point in my first post. Finding dirt on Kiernan online is nigh on impossible. How do I know? Because every time clean up Australia day rolls around I look for evidence of his previous malfeasance. I do this to remind people that he is, in fact, a poo poo bird of the lowest order. I can how ever assure you that it was front page news back in the day and on such a front page was the picture of him sailing out of Sydney heads on his yacht.

Rather than slam me with a bunch more ad hominem how about you do some research before your next reply? Or better yet, never post again.

Oh right I forgot this was auspol, where some dickhead remembering a picture of a guy on a boat from a newspaper 40 years ago is sufficient to write someone off, despite them almost single handed getting a nation psyched about going out and picking up rubbish

e - or maybe not! In the words of Tamatoa, 'you keep surprising me'

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 31, 2018

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Cartoon posted:

I once again have to re-emphasis my original post where I point out I have been looking for web material in vain for at least ten years.

We heard you the first time genius, it does not an argument make

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Starshark posted:

Don't ever take their chair. THIS CHAIR IS ADJUSTED EXACTLY TO MY SPECIFIC BODY PARAMETERS AND EVEN THE SLIGHTEST CHANGE WILL CAUSE PERMANENT SPINAL INJURY. NO I DON'T KNOW HOW TO READJUST CHAIRS, WHY DO YOU ASK?

Why you going around fuckin' with people's chairs? :(

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Starshark posted:

Don't quote me fuckhead.

What the hell is everyone's problem, Jesus Christ

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

So do we think the guy who started Clean Up Australia day is actually a dodgy gently caress who ripped off mum and dad investors, and just no one remembers it, and there is literally not a single scrap of evidence, despite 10 years of searching, or is Cartoon just a confused old guy who saw soemone sailing in a newspaper 35 years ago and got some headlines mixed up?

Edit - I mean to be fair we could go back to the original question and concede it's possible he was involved to some degree. We don't know how or to what degree, but even if he was, given what he's done since, does that make him a 'poo poo bird of the lowest order'? Just as an interesting hypothetical of course.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 31, 2018

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I ain't dying, but if the standards of evidence we need to write someone off drop from 'subjective' to 'zero' then we need to seriously reevaluate the point of debating or discussing Australian politics

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I'm not even asking for evidence at this point, we've done that and there isn't any. Funnily enough I was prepared to take Cartoon's word for it and thought there was an interesting discussion to be had around the idea of redemption, until UrbanLabrinyh checked the newspaper archives and found nothing. Now I'm more asking the consensus on Cartoon's mental health. I mean his grudge against me aside, this is pretty weird.

And yeah it's not about the boat name.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Jonah Galtberg posted:

shut the gently caress up, nobody cares at this point/any other point preceding this point

Hey cool thanks for chiming in Jonah Galtberg good to see you bud how you been

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

It was posted, you ignored it, much like any other Young Liberal presented with a fact not in the party approved dossier

e: Wait we're not talking about Mia Freedman again?

Sigh

Come on

Check again

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

bandaid.friend posted:

Oh, I think this is pretty much what I said earlier regarding the vegan thing. I don't like it when the thing I said before, is now the thing someone is saying to me

1) Generally speaking yeah I agree on the importance of making a message and keeping a tone that's easy to agree with and difficult to distort or attack
2) Specifically speaking I feel uncomfortable saying a black woman who expressed anguish over colonialism, genocide and continuing oppressing in her own words was wrong to do so
3) Now that the message has been said, and the right are choosing to focus on the tone instead of the message, I feel it's more important to side with the person news corp are trying to bully into silence, instead of being angry at her too, because then I'm joining the pressure on her not to speak again

I think we can look at the goal, and look at the consequences, and see they don't really align. If she says 'I don't care about changing the date I just want to burn australia' then that is at odds with the stated aim of the tens of thousands of other people assembled there that day. I agree we should be conscious not to tell women or POC what to say, but in this case it is actively sabotaging the objective of a large group of people and it's fair to point out

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

^^^ lol hey mate

MikeJF posted:

I have a quite specific adjustment on my chair that currently works best with my hosed up L5/S1 disc and it's quite inconvenient when people take it and change it why can't we just all be considerate :smith:

I don't think that guy likes being quoted FYI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

bandaid.friend posted:

I think it's important Aboriginal Australians are the ones who have the right to set the message on Aboriginal issues, especially considering Australia's history of denying them self-determination. I'm a member of the oppressing class, here, jumping on her for saying something I don't like is joining news corp's dogpile, which is exactly what they want

I don't think it's 'jumping on her' to say that her actions didn't succeed in accomplishing the stated aim of the tens of thousands of people assembled. Honestly, the way we're terrified of critiquing anything done by a POC is pretty patronizing.

And I'm not talking about her tone or her dress, I'm taking specifically about the words.

• Locked thread