Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Edward Mass posted:

That's right, 2019 is the year where ten planned comic book movies come out.
That 10 announced comicbook movies so far, there'll no doubt be plenty more announced during 2018.

Edward Mass posted:

Also, please refrain from making charts and graphs about why such-and-such movie is terrible

C'mon, that guy who was posting massive colour-coded charts comparing RT and imdb scores to prove that the DCEU is worse than the MCU was one of the highlights of the previous thread. :v:
Edit: it was Boob Marley and sadly all his image links are now broken as far as I can tell so we'll never see those beautiful graphs ever again. :(

Edward Mass posted:

If I missed anything, please tell me and I'll add it to the OP.

Alita: Battle Angel is another comicbook movie that is coming out in 2018

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Edward Mass posted:

Valiant Comics film universe

Harbinger - TBD
Bloodshot - TBD
Harbinger sequel - TBD
Bloodshot sequel - TBD
Harbinger Wars - TBD
Archer & Armstrong - TBD
Shadowman - TBD

They announced back in '15 that they'd made a 5 film deal with Sony for a shared cinematic universe which was supposed to kick off in 2017:

quote:

BLOODSHOT, arriving in theaters in 2017, will kick off the five-picture plan leading to HARBINGER WARS and will be directed by David Leitch & Chad Stahelski (John Wick) from a script by Jeff Wadlow (Kick rear end 2) and Eric Heisserer (Story of Your Life). Neal H. Moritz and Toby Jaffe from Original Film (The Fast and the Furious franchise) and Dinesh Shamdasani from Valiant Entertainment will produce the film. Matthew Vaughn and Jason Kothari will serve as executive producers.
I checked the imdb listings for all those people and only the guys who work directly for Valiant Entertainment are still listed as being connected to the project so I wouldn't go holding my breath waiting for any of these films to ever hit a screen.

In the meantime they're releasing a digital series called Ninjak vs. the Valiant Universe in early 2018 (it was supposed to debut on youtube last year) which will feature most of their best known characters. It looks like it got financed and produced separately from the Sony film deal so it's supposed to be unrelated to the feature films, similar to how the DC comics TV shows are unrelated to the DCEU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQcLClgLfkg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninjak#Web_series

It features everyone's favourite Green Power Ranger/skydiving martial arts world record breaker Jason David Frank as Bloodshot which definitely means it won't be related to the Sony films at all because the probability that they'd pin their big budget cinematic shared universe's chances of success on that guy is exactly zero. He's no Robert Downey Jnr, that's for damned sure. :v:
Here's an article with photos of all the characters as depicted in the web series and ohhhhhh drat, it all looks awful.

And now you know way way way more about the Valiant Comics film universe than you ever wanted or needed to.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

STAC Goat posted:

In this troubling, complicated times I just want to thank this thread for assuring me that new thread, new year... we'll still be talking about MoS/BvS.

Its comforting in some way.

My New Year's resolution is that I'm not even going to mention BvS or MoS in this thread.

Edit: poo poo gently caress

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There should be a dog Captain America
Would you accept a CapWolf?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

Every Frame is a Paint or the other guy? Who is the other guy? I want to laugh at him.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Folding Ideas.

I posted a link to one of his videos here in the last thread and Folding Ideas joins the discussion on the next page.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bushisms.txt posted:

The car chase scene plays so much better now. And it's clear we're supposed to not like bats in this scene, because he's full on villain at this point, Superman coming in to stop him confirms this.

I meant to make a big effortpost ages ago comparing the car chase from BvS to the Kal El v Zod fight through Metropolis from MoS but I never got around to it. I was pretty sure there were too many similarities to be coincidental (exploding tanker truck, futuristic vehicle smashing indiscriminately through buildings, people trapped by smashed twisted metal, etc etc) but this shot especially reminded me of the heat beams slicing through buildings just before the Kryptonians burst out of them:
https://i.imgur.com/TzhRzEx.gifv

The implication being that Bruce has become what he most hates and fears in his vendetta against Superman, just on a smaller/human scale. The difference here is that a greater power actually steps in and stops the carnage which is no doubt what Bruce wanted to happen when he was forced to stand by and watch helplessly as the Metropolis battle raged around him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

Huh. I swear that was the one where they added him for the US release and re-edited the entire movie around his character.

He was always part of the production but they pretty much did re-edit the film so it revolved around him much more. His character originally didn't take part in the big climactic battle scene and the studio wrested control from the director and added Reeves into it, plus a whole bunch of other changes:
https://www.thewrap.com/universal-pulls-47-ronin-director-budget-swells-225m-exclusive-57111/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ferrinus posted:

I would phrase it differently. The awful responsibility of power weighs REALLY heavily on Jon Kent, and, actually, movie's thematic thrust is probably that we ALL labor under the awful burden of power - that as a people, we can't help but produce and wield the kind of world-shaking might that in MoS is incarnated in a single person, and so we had better think very hard about what kind of world we build and what kind of lessons we teach that world's people so that when they do ball their fists and act the final result resembles Clark rather than Zod. It's why we always see normal, anonymous people take morally significant actions before Clark himself does. It's not that we don't need superheroes - it's that we're getting them whether we like it or not.

That's why I think MoS is a thoughtful and generally progressive power fantasy - the context that it puts the protagonist's power in, the moral statements it makes about it, and so on. However, the movie is about one incredibly strong guy and how he puts that strength to use, rather than a mass movement or something.

My own take is that the progressiveness and thoughtfulness is what stop the film from being a power fantasy. Just because a film features people with fantastical powers doesn't mean it's a power fantasy, there's a necessary element of escapism which is mostly missing from MoS. The meat of the genre is pretty much "Oh man, if I only had the means I'd sure show them!" The Dirty Harry movies are power fantasies, as are the Bronson Death Wish movies. First Blood isn't but the Rambo films that followed it are. Pretty much all the Marvel movies are as well.

The scene at the end of Justice League where Superman turns up at the last minute and easily defeats the big bad villain with a cheeky grin and a quip was a power fantasy, the scene in MoS where he defeats Zod at great cost to himself and Metropolis and ends up on his knees crying out in anguish at what he was forced to do wasn't.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ferrinus posted:

Well frankly I think surviving being tackled through buildings and then responding with an orbital piledriver is pretty loving sick regardless of surrounding context.

Context makes all the difference. :ssh:

Edit: compare the end of the fight with Zod in MoS to the end of the fight with Zod in Superman 2 - the musical cues, the emotional reactions, etc etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_93l5q7AWDM
:ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUORL-bvwA0
:patriot:

Note that I didn't deliberately pick the video with the title "Greatest Superman Moment Ever", that's just how that uploader felt about a scene where Superman and Lois murder three people and smirk about it.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 4, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Note also that all this has a HUGE amount to do with people's "Not my Superman" reactions. They were expecting some light power fantasy escapism but instead they got a film about how the responsibility of having super powers would be an incredible burden.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

"He's behind me again, isn't he"

dublish posted:

A more complete power fantasy would have ended with Clark confronting the truck driver in person, as in Superman 2.

I mentioned this last thread but my favourite thing about that scene is that in the original scripts for the first two Donner movies Superman turns back time at the end of the second movie and the scene where he beats up the truck driver in the diner happens after that, so in that new timeline Clark has never been to that diner before and the truck driver has no loving idea who this guy is or why he's beating the poo poo out of him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gatts posted:

Guys, in the comics the lineage has had horses, wooly mammoths, bears, sharks, etc. vehicles are just one possibility of what can be Ghost Ridden.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Comic Book Movie Megathread 2018: A Bunch of Thirty-Odds Vaguely Remember Old Movies

I'm a 40-odd :colbert:

When I was a kid it cost a nickel to see a movie and in those days nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was Superman wore his underpants on the outside, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white underpants because of the Kryptonian war. The only pants you could get was those big red ones...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's actually a bunch of references to certain comicbook storylines in the few lines he's jotted down in his notebook so it's not just a generic photo of Tom Hardy, it also hints at the villains and the probable plot. :ssh:

But it's still pretty disappointing. The one thing we really want to see is what Venom will look like and they'll probably hold that back as long as possible while they work on the effects.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
He was the first Spider-Man villain who wasn't a dorky, badly designed putz.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Correction: the first Spider-Man villain who wasn't a dorky, badly designed putz in the eyes of children, as opposed to in the eyes of both adult and children.

We should also clarify that we're talking about the original comicbook version of the character and definitely not the version from the 2007 movie which was a dorky putz with a disappointing design.

Edit: holy poo poo I just looked up some youtube videos to remind myself of that version and the video titled "Spiderman 3 All Venom scenes" is only 3 min 50 seconds long. Why even loving bother including the character. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy A. Person posted:

It kind of blows my mind there hasn't been animated Nintendo movies until now. It seems like such a no brainer.

Even odder is that Disney didn't buy the properties already.

There's been almost 20 animated Pokemon movies but it looks like most of them only got theatrical releases in Japan and were direct to DVD in most other countries.

But yeah, they're the exception. They've kept the rest of their franchises out of bounds.

There's been a ton of other films based on vidya games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Put Brandon Routh as the Atom next to Ant Man and all you'll see is two white guys with brown hair that get their outfits at the same store. It's so bad and honestly looks like they don't give a poo poo, it's like they design the characters so that they only need one male body and one female body for the action figure molds.

White people who get cast in certain roles all look pretty much the same. :v:

90% of comic book superheroes are tall muscular men with steely gazes and strong jaws, if you swapped their costumes you'd barely be able to tell the difference in most cases. The comics sometimes even take advantage of that fact and will have one superhero pose as another and they pretty much always pull it off without question. Batman and Superman have been repeatedly swapping costumes and fooling even their closest friends since the 40s.

So yeah, the screen versions of Ant Man and The Atom may be nigh indistinguishable which is dumb but that's also incredibly faithful to the source material which is also dumb. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

not trolled not crying posted:

I don't know if this is a joke or not but none of those dudes is Cavill.

On the other hand, every single one of them is Cavill. Cavill is clearly the Cavill-est Cavill but these guys are all only slightly less Cavill.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aw no Slipknot? :smith:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah that's a TV quality superhero costume, not movie quality.

Maybe it's just her first costume and she gets a better one by the end of the movie??

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sponges posted:

Even by the standards of comic book characters Shazam seems like something strictly for children.

They rebooted Shazam a few years back and tried to make it edgier and more 'grounded'. Billy Batson was a homeless kid living in an abandoned subway station, Dr Sivana sends a paramilitary team to assassinate him before he can transform, Billy's best friend gets shot in the crossfire and dies so Shazam goes and grabs Sivana by the neck and has an existential crisis while he tries to figure out whether it's better to just snap his spine or let him continue living, etc..

Also Superman goes and confronts the Wizard who gave Billy these powers and chews him out for giving godly powers to an unsupervised pre-adolescent which is a pretty fair point. :v:
https://imgur.com/gallery/QteeP

Edit: here's another reboot that's more 'grounded' again. In this one the kid Billy Batson is am angry teen hoodlum and when he gets his Shazam powers he uses them to get revenge on people he doesn't like (smashing their car) and steal money from an ATM. If he ever defeats bad guys it's only because he accidentally bumps into them while they're robbing a bank or something.
https://imgur.com/gallery/yvnFI
https://imgur.com/gallery/TpFCR
https://imgur.com/gallery/xNOCu
https://imgur.com/gallery/E7C0A
Tawky Tawny (the talking tiger from the old old Shazam comics) is a giant killing machine in this version:

It's a really obvious attempt to distance the character from the fun, innocent cartoony comic it used to be.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 30, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I bet Kate blanchet was a little annoyed because she was in a totally different movie than the rest of the cast.

Nah, everyone had fun on that shoot

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

yeah, but it's spread out over several hundred minutes rather than 90. And I doubt a comic book TV show is going to hit the 'quality over quantity' ratio I'm after.

If you're a fan of the character then you owe it to yourself to check out the show, it's the best screen version I've seen yet.

Go watch some Frank Castle highlights from the second Netflix Daredevil series if you haven't already seen it to gauge if you dig this version or not. The prison fight scene is probably as good a scene as any to start with.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Conal Cochran posted:

The first episode of the Punisher is basically a gritty version of an episode of the Shadow, but twice the length and half as enjoyable.

The first episode of The Punisher is Frank desperately trying to not be the Punisher but not knowing what else he could possibly be. As far as he knows he's already killed all the people responsible for murdering his family (mostly in Daredevil season 2) so he's got no reason to keep finding and killing more criminals. He sure as hell isn't capable of ever finding happiness again but he doesn't want to fall prey to rage any more, he's figuratively (and literally) hitting a brick wall over and over. The rest of the series is his descent/ascent into embracing his role as the Punisher.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Conal Cochran posted:

Why do people keep explaining this show to others in this thread whenever they say something bad about it, like the only issue could possibly be that we're just to dumb to understand it?

Snowman_McK said they'd watched the first episode and wasn't into the show, I was pointing out that the first episode didn't really reflect what the rest of the series was like.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm watching an episode of Lupin III from the 70s or 80s. They did the Nazi conciousness implanted into a computer thing decades before Winter Soldier.

Jack Kirby introduced Arnim Zola in April 1977, originally he'd transferred his consciousness into an ugly robot body. The Lupin the Third episodes with Doctor Zell first aired in September 1978.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Brother Entropy posted:

everything we've seen of infinity war has thanos and his goons attacking wakanda

so draw your own conclusions from there

Maybe they asked their phone "Siri please plot a course to West Kansas" and it didn't understand their alien accent?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'll just repost what I said a month ago when they released the photo of Hardy as Brock

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

But it's still pretty disappointing. The one thing we really want to see is what Venom will look like and they'll probably hold that back as long as possible while they work on the effects.

I guess I'll be able to keep re-using that post for a while :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Timby posted:

Watch "Venom" be a weird disease or virus that Tom Hardy contracts (or he's a test subject for something, Deadpool-esque), which gives him superhuman strength at the cost of his sanity, and he then sets out to battle injustice in his own hosed-up way. The traditional Venom look is never seen in the movie.

Also the symbiote is a weird shadowy figure that he sees in reflections and dreams but no one else ever sees it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Cameo posted:

The big change seems to be that they've moved everything to San Francisco.

#NotMyVenom

Also plz sign my petition and help me get Venom back where he belongs TYIA
https://www.change.org/p/sony-connect-venom-movie-to-amazing-spider-man-universe-and-keep-andrew-garfield-as-spider-man

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Detective No. 27 posted:

Could we get a superhero movie in a Southwest setting for once?

Someone realised a few years ago that there's almost no superheroes from Southern states apart from a few swamp-themed characters like Swamp Thing and Man-Thing (who were apparently from Connecticut and Nebraska anyway before they got swampified according to my 30 second google search) and a handful of others like Gambit and Rogue and Warpath, but there's hundreds and hundreds from the Northern states. And even then, most of the Southern state heroes tended to mostly hang out in the Northern states where all the action is.

There was a really weird bias against setting comicbook superhero stories in the South for the longest time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lobok posted:

Oh god, an entire comic book of constant phonetic speech bubbles.

Ain't dat de troot', sho'nuff

It's halfway to Jar Jar Binks :allears:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

K. Waste posted:

So I wanna put together a short-list of black superhero movies that I either need to watch or re-watch, let me know if I've left something out:

I guess if Chronicle gets counted as a superhero film then Sleight should as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOBAoSy4oJI

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

In this completely tone-deaf page, Spiderman villain Morlun brutally murders the characters from children's cartoon Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. Everything that can happen is happening at all times in Comic Book Multiverses and it's all loving stupid.

They drew the line at newspaper strip Spider-Man, though

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Weekend estimates are in and Black Panther had the second biggest opening of all the MCU films at $192 million. Avengers made $207m its first weekend, Age of Ultron made $191m.

Edit: actually that's the second biggest opening of any superhero/comicbook film ever (unadjusted).
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=superhero.htm&sort=opengross&order=DESC&p=.htm

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 19, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Doesn't that mean Avengers still had the biggest? Or did it open Wednesday or something

Yes, hence "Black Panther had the second biggest opening of all the MCU films"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Borland Corp. posted:

But you edited that in later, and even say in the post that that's what your edit was!

No my post originally said "It's the 2nd biggest opening of all the MCU films" but then I edited it to add "Actually it's the 2nd biggest opening of all comicbook films"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jimbot posted:

They usually respond with "So, you're going to go out and support the cancelled comic so they continue to make more of it, right?"

When they polled the audiences for Wonder Woman they found that they were getting a whole lot of people who don't usually go to superhero movies and I'll bet that a pretty similar thing is happening with Black Panther. So of course all these people dipping their toe into the MCU starting at Black Panther won't give a poo poo about the comics, they're not comicbook nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I know a few guys who are still massively in comicbooks (one even moved to the US to start a career in comics) and a few years back they stopped buying individual issues in lieu of waiting for the collected graphic novels to come out because :effort:. I think a few of them have given up on buying printed comics and just read everything online now.

If you can't keep the current comicbook fans buying individual hardcopy comics then good fuckin' luck convincing new guys to start.