Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

tape some bags of sand to the front and we're in business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

moon autobot?

MOON BOT?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

God Hole posted:

i live in a gated apartment complex (they're all gated in phoenix to keep the poors out)

recently our complex has experienced a couple of burglaries, so management used that as an excuse to WELD SHUT all the pedestrian access points along the entire perimeter of the complex, leaving only the parking lot gate untouched (the one designed to accommodate cars)

the problem with this is that the only way the parking lot gate opens is by sensor, which only triggers for car-sized objects (there is no button or manual override). i don't own a car. so i quite literally cannot leave my apartment complex of my own accord.

time to bike to work? i'm doing circles in the parking lot like an idiot waiting for a real person in a car to leave. wanna take my dog for a walk? gotta bake on the asphalt with my dog and wait for a real person to leave.

phoenix is a horrific example of suburban sprawl, designed entirely around the personal automobile. i'm observing myself being erased in real-time.

the triangle shirtwaist factory fire happened on march 25, 1911, so you better do something before the anniversary brings about its cosmic realignment

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Oh cool we’re doing contracting in Iraq 2005 but here

bringing the methods of empire to the imperial core :stoked:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

are you guys usually not online while having a stroke?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

doing crimes while covering my face with a piece of paper that says LAW-ABIDING CITIZEN

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Lady Militant posted:

im just floored at what economics gets away with. as an engineer if i tried to pull even 1/10th of that poo poo id be laughed out of the discipline

"Austrians argue that empirical data itself is insufficient to describe economics; that consequently empirical data cannot falsify economic theory; that logical positivism cannot predict or explain human action; and that the methodological requirements of logical positivism are impossible to obtain for economic questions."

and this is the branch of 'science' that our leaders believe, lmao

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

correct, thank you

https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Gh%C3%A2n-buri-Gh%C3%A2n

apparently he's in some deleted scenes wow peter jackson you should have known better

golly, the model of him in lotro is something else

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Colonel Cancer posted:

Just imagine if we manage to make Y2K real lmao

inshallah

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

this is what happens when getting a phd in philo or something like that leads you to a career in brand management for a company that sells frozen beef sheets and you're real loving mad that that's your job while science in the popular consciousness is a guy out there repping with takes like this one

the inquisition was really just exploring the number of ways you can torture a heretic

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

corn haver posted:

tears are flowing down my face as an augmented reality agonized jesus bleeding spins around me again and again

if jesus bugged out and T-posed, how would you even know?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

this is the weirdest bloatee I've ever seen

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

you can't fool me, that's a pilldo

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

into the free candy, but uncertain about the nasi

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Rutibex posted:

:cheers:
future archaeologists thank you

bold of you to assume the cockroach civilization will care about archaeology

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Biplane posted:

In order to make you a better worker we have removed your dick and balls

they will be returned to you upon your retirement if your performance was adequate, like a security deposit. work will make your dick and balls free

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

smarxist posted:

Brains are incredibly malleable via input stimulus and repetition all through your life, you can lose a chunk or even a hemisphere and what's left will figure out how to do the poo poo you need to do to live, it's basically magical

dig down far enough and it's all the logical consequence of physical laws and entropy and it's not magic at all and that's what's so god drat cool about it :goonsay:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'll be sure to read more of his stuff, thanks for the rec :)

if you've heard goons (like me) hooting and howling about blindsight, that's also peter watts https://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

smarxist posted:

Blindsight & Echopraxia are in my top 10

:haibrower:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

anyone who doesn't understand that metric is objectively superior to imperial is a loving brain-damaged moron who doesn't know how to multiply by ten. thank you for your understanding

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

No that's you who, when told "they're good for conversions and nothing else" comes back with "YEAH BUT YOU CAN CONVERT THEM EASILY" You metric people are the dumbest motherfuckers alive a cargo cult of fuckwits who got embarassed in school when you couldn't convert feet to inches and have internalized the trauma and carried it over to every aspect of your life.

converting them easily makes it easier to perform mathematical operations on them, which you have to do when you're doing, like, anything scientific at all. there is a reason that the colossal majority of scientific work uses the metric system, and it's not because researchers et al are all somehow dumber than you. it's okay to be dull but please do not be proud of it

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Hey, fuckwit, that's not what a unit of measurement is for. An teaspoon doesn't exist so I can compare it to a tablespoon or a quart. It exists because I'm making dinner and I need to be close enough when measuring out the salt.
Who the gently caress gives a poo poo about how easy it is to compare it to some other unit that also has no meaning in a person's life.

oh, honey

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

fuckign goddamn measurement units, you fucks

e: gently caress you. yes you

i will never stop defending lincoln chafee

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

remembering ann coulter yelling about the metric system, totally smiling to myself

whatever happened to her anyway

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

eSports Chaebol posted:

btw the origin of the metric system was the French Revolution so if youre against it youre literally a reactionary hth

when I take over the world I'm implementing metric time and none of you can stop me

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Ok, Imagine you have a kilogram of water, now divide that by one thousand. You have five of those. VS The little spoon.
So you have the Great circle as it passes though the north pole, and you take one ten-millionth of that... would it be easier if I said it was the distance that light light traveled in 1/300000000 of a second? It doesn't matter which one you use, because you need to divide it again by 100. That's a centimeter. 30 of those. VS *points at the ground*

I'm concerned that you may not realize that, in all the countries that use metric, ie. everyone that isn't the US and liberia, they have cooking measures in metric, not imperial

anyway, so long as we're focusing on arbitrary body parts, and noting that there is no body part that could be described as about a meter long, let's bring back the cubit

e: lol I was curious and the loving imperial units for cooking aren't even the same across countries

double e: i will not rest until i achieve victory

World War Mammories has issued a correction as of 02:58 on Jun 24, 2021

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

this is amazing content

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

is there a metric unit fo r freakin post quality folks???

the bigpeeler

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

lil poopendorfer posted:

I believe you meant, " golden man babies" goonsir

one bigpeeler is ten golden manbabies. the “goldmined thread” unit containing 5 golden manbabies is recognized by the general conference on weights and measures but they recommend its deprecation

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

i swear to god, if you people keep posting incorrect things about measurements, my dread power will only grow. beware

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

that's not the type of base 12 people are talking about

:eyepop:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Rutibex posted:

there is no need to choose between imperial and metric, they are both fine systems and both have their use. try the Canadian method the next time you want to measure something!

i have the weirdest boner

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I thought weinstein had the egg penis

of course none of them compare to the mushroom penis :chaostrump:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

you know, only a couple decades ago people didn't have detailed knowledge of their betters' genitalia. love the forward march of progress

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

christmas boots posted:

He couldn’t get over his fiancee’s death. So he brought her back as an A.I. chatbot

https://www.sfchronicle.com/projects/2021/jessica-simulation-artificial-intelligence/

isn't this literally the plot of a black mirror episode

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

pnumoman posted:

Alpha Protocol was pulled from steam a while ago, if you don't already have it on steam it's :filez: time.

Alpha Protocol is utterly fantastic and utterly broken, look up a gameplay guide before you start because the frustrating gameplay parts will definitely distract from the insanely good writing and interactivity.

the only gameplay guide anyone needs for alpha protocol is "pistols with chain shot"

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

yesterday this was conclusively ratio'd, now the likes have just barely edged out the comments. assuming they bought some likes to try and save face because lmao

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

Where's the cyanide option

gotta ask for almonds

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

okay, so my first assumption is photoshop, but the website actually exists. and there are articles about it dating from 2014. also a couple tabloids picked up the story in march of this year, it seems. so almost definitely a fairly dedicated hoax that got recycled, but still, lmao

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

painkillers are an essential part of any health care system and it's not the concept of analgesia's fault that the sacklers specifically and capitalists in general are amoral subhumans :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

wait, seriously, five kids in two years?