Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm excited for the first dark souls to be in. Curious as to what route it will be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I just want to see them actually shoot things :(

Also I'm super surprised that Mario Odyssey isn't on that list.

Speedrunning with skips isn't in the doom spirit. Doomguy only speedruns to the next imp he wants to smash in the face.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Caros posted:

So much this.

Glitch/oob speedruns can be a ton of fun in some games, but I've yet to see an fps oob other than maybe Skyrim horse tilting (if that qualifies) that is actually entertaining rather than just an hour and a half of save loading.

Doom of all games should be an hour and a half or RIP AND TEAR. Not staring at a goddamn wall making bunny hops.

An all berserk pack all the time race. I would watch that regardless if it's DOOM, DOOM 2 or DOOM

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Pash posted:

I think OOB runs can be great and funny as long as there are interesting ways they get OOB, but really they are only interesting the once. After that its not a, man are these people skilled thing. Its, owe, they know that trick and are gonna do it over and over and over again.

That's what I was getting at with my original DO4M post. Every level (it seemed) was OOB walk slowly on some invisible stuff, drop in, kill a dude, go OOB again. It might be fastest to the end screen, but it wasn't entertaining because it was the same thing repeatedly.

Arabian nights from what I remember was a complete clusterfuck of glitches competing to be the most ridiculous one.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

sincx posted:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Mount Wario, 200cc, without ever pressing gas/reverse or having auto-accelerate on in 5m 26s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=p8TrUmOpLaw

This is pretty good

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Wouldn't lttp Rando be a terrible intro to speedrunning? Like there's a lot of improvisation based on items and what you pull, where to go next.i would've thought a linear game that focuses on execution would be the best starting point.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The idea of memorising a bunch of interactions and possible routes depending on your items seems a lot more complicated than picking a game you like, reading some speed chat then learning it real good. I known the thread loves rando, but something shorter and more linear might be a better intro.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Are there any doom 2016 runs in the "kill all the demons" category? I want to watch someone best the game real quick without clipping into nothingness for most of the game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

this is very pro-click

it begins normally but very rapidly descends into the game breaking in increasingly severe ways solely in order to murder PJ, whether that be spontaneous combustion while reloading a gun, him trying to get through a door and being violently hurled out of the level for it, or having a fire hose shooting napalm clip straight through a wall just so it could set him on fire

an example of the game falling apart just to kill everyone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08m48_21Pv8&hd=1&t=2410s

it's gonna be both, it's always both with crowd control on

Is there a second video to go with this or is the trailer the pro-click?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Been watching some gdq videos and as much fun as the mario maker races are I think I prefer the kaizo runs more. They have a lot more humour and feel a bit less hectic.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tweezer Reprise posted:

what are your faves? i liked the GPW2 one.
e: sorry for doublepost

Invictus was pretty good. Super dram world 2 as well. Extremely well executed and precise.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ineptitude posted:

What category of speedrunning (if it even IS "speedrunning") do i search for if i want to see skilled players play through games at a quick/effective pace but not use tons of glitches or out of bounds or such?
Particularly FPS games.
Im not really looking for a lets-play with a streamer with a face cam interacting with his viewers a lot but more what it would look like if John Wick played through Half Life 2.
This is maybe not a speed run but is a ridiculously good video of doom2016. I think zero master does doom speedruns that don't glitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72S2aAxtZOs

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

eonwe posted:

gently caress yeah doom eternal

Eh it's any% and there are a lot of out of bounds available

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

SeXReX posted:

Celeste Bingo mini tournament finals just starting up on the gdq channel
https://twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

What is a bingo tournament

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

An Actual Princess posted:

actually no one should watch esa, because they're a garbage organization

why's that

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

An Actual Princess posted:

actually no one should watch esa, because they're a garbage organization

Seriously though, what's up with this?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

VVVVVV is a great game. Veni vidi vici is still a string of wonderful precision that feels so good to nail

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

the first doom 2016 run at gdq sucks because it sounded like it was going to be great but instead it was one of those clip out of bounds on every level type speedruns

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

You got your flame fatales and your frost fatales but where are the arx fatales

Arfatales?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jabor posted:

I clipped into the wall and jumped over the gate instead of reading them, it's faster that way

The worst kind of speedrun

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Crystalis a great game, nice to see there's a community around it

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

EightFlyingCars posted:

i'm thinking the fallout 3 run where a dude provided an actual physical prop to describe the hosed up seventh-dimensional geometry of the skip he was about to do

Wasn't that a fallout 4 run? Either way it was pretty funny when he busted it out

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bremen posted:

I know we just had a big debate on these kind of posts and your gimmick, but honestly when you make a targeted post like that it really does come off as trying to be a troll and chase someone out of the thread. I don't mind the gimmick but maybe don't turn it into insults?

Lol what?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mierenneuker posted:

Some of their posts might sound good, but I'm not going to read them.

It's a little derivative but I'm looking forward to this new gimmick

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Zamujasa posted:

At the end of the day most speedruns are built around wholly arbitrary rules of what is and isn't allowed by the people who run it; the game itself doesn't give a poo poo.

This reminds me that DOOM (2016, the good reboot) didn't have a glitchless category for a while because there wasn't a consensus as to what that meant. The only recognised speed run for a while was the any% run that spent most of its time out of bounds not killing demons.

It got played at gdq and so many of the comments were along the lines of "wtf? It's doom, rip and tear the huge guts"

Thank goodness zero master was there to make awesome runs anyway.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Rubellavator posted:

Just watched greensuigi nail carpetless 9/10 times with a 5x streak.

What

That's an amazing no context sentence. Sm64 is so strange

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Magnetic North posted:

For certain definitions of the word "easy" :stonklol:

It doesn't look easy at all

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

dirby posted:

To those figuring this wouldn't be connected to speedrunning, a lot of it is "here's an invisible wall that exists in the game (and why it exists), and here's a clip of it frustrating a speedrunner". There's a lot of speedrun clips and a lot of tips to avoid bonking into invisible walls.

First attempts are always rough. I have full confidence people will find a way to present all this information in under 20 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Why is cbt followed by golf funny