Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Yellow Ant posted:

To change the subject completely, has anyone watched Blood Quantum, a First Nations zombie film?

I saw it at TIFF last year and it's a lot of fun. It's decently gory and has some interesting subtext and, really, overt text about colonialism that elevates it.

The plot and dialogue aren't going to bring home any awards, but it feels like a fresh coat of paint on the genre and really goes for entertainment with a solid message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segue
May 23, 2007

Toronto officials are "begging" people not to socialize with anyone not from their household, which includes outdoor as well as indoor socializing.

Single people are being advised to lean on phone and video calls.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-socializing-new-rules-1.5800907

Meanwhile, outdoor dining is still permitted, you can have up to 10 people in gyms, and schools are still operating.

This incredible effort to shift all blame onto individual personal responsibility rather than any examination of our institutions is insane. The cowardice is terrifying.

Segue
May 23, 2007

People are booking appointments in advance and the vaccines are being used by the end of the week in time for the next shipment.

I hate Ford and everything's been incompetent (including getting vaccines to marginalized communities) but Ontario's been good at getting shots in arms, as long as those arms are rich old white folk which we're doing fine on.

Segue
May 23, 2007

As someone working on the response end of this, I am quite happy with this scenario especially if it starts June 14.

It allows the 60% of adults that will be vaccinated by the weekend to achieve significant immunity post-vaccine and hopefully get more second doses in the more vulnerable seniors and healthcare workers.

It allows for responsiveness to variants and time for ICUs to go down without confusing messaging. Just overall I am shocked by the cautious approach and it seems twice bitten we're getting sane policy.

Also the people on reddit screaming that it's too restrictive convinces me of its soundness.

Edit: we will absolutely blow past 25% of people with second doses by August if you're worried about that.

Segue has issued a correction as of 21:16 on May 20, 2021

Segue
May 23, 2007

cash crab posted:

Yep, for the customers. I'm staff. Last summer, one of the employees at my bar routinely went to speakeasies and had house parties. She personally had three COVID scares that I was aware of, and never wore a mask in the back. Most employees, once out of view of customers, would remove their masks because it's like 40℃ here sometimes and it becomes impossible to breath normally. I don't know if you've ever jogged for several hours wearing an N95 in super hot weather, but it's very uncomfortable to the point of making you feel sick.

Also, if you, as a customer, goes to a restaurant, your risk of exposure is minimal, but my exposure, two feet away from every unmasked, seated customer (a necessity, since I need to put stuff on your table), combined with going inside a poorly ventilated restaurant hundreds of times at a jogging pace, increases my risk.

Exactly this. The decision making by comfortable work from home bureaucrats and politicians is the most frustrating thing. Outdoor activities are safe because to them it's the consumers that matter not the people.

Segue
May 23, 2007

I mean even if you make minimum wage with the climb in prices you now own a six figure asset which had probably doubled in value in recent years making you effectively wealthy.

Them's the breaks of the bubble, poo poo's hosed and you won the lottery.

Segue
May 23, 2007

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Are people lucky if they were able to buy a house cheaply? Absolutely. Does the increased value of the house make them any wealthier? Not really, no. Selling a house usually means you're buying another one and there really isn't added leverage from the increased value of a house you own if every other house has also increased in price.

Then again this wouldn't be C-SPAM if we recognized the distinction between people paying off one house over 25 years and rent speculators buying multiple houses $100k+ over list with bales of cash

I'll try to end the derail, but I recognize that house wealth is illusory for the people making mortgage payments, but people without it are still paying rent.

In an emergency in the current insanity homeowners can still sell and rent and literally have a large windfall the rest don't have. Yes no one does this and it's all speculative but it doesn't discount the insane housing wealth homeowners have gained on paper and that it's further impoverished those without.

People get real defensive when it's pointed out they're not as prole as they feel they are.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Whereas Ontario is (for now) keeping its mask mandate, waiting until at least 75% of 12+ are fully vaccinated (at 70% now) and every one of the 34 regional health units will have to have 70% fully vaccinated as well to prevent regional hot spots.

We have no intention to shut down our testing or contact tracing and the work is ongoing to bump up everything.

This all could change in an instant but the one good thing about Doug Ford being a coward is that he is now afraid of loving up too much again.

Segue
May 23, 2007

I think the most horrifying thing is how Jones is characterizing the privatization of Ontario's health system:

"There are some who will fight for the status quo no matter what," she said at a news conference announcing the plan. "They're ideologically opposed to change or improvements. We won't accept that. We can't accept that. People want better health care."

Really showing the whole sham of libertarian conservatism aren't we.

Segue
May 23, 2007

It's a hinge time because after such lackluckster responses to the convoy, essentially giving up on collective action against COVID-19, and awful turnout at provincial and municipal elections that changed nothing, this is the last gasp of progressive action.

If it's defeated then all the wind is out and we drag our way through, but if it succeeds then we can maybe actually inspire change and get renewed energy.

What I'm saying is find a picket near you tomorrow and come out with signs and yell. We can do this.

https://www.dontbeabully.ca

Segue
May 23, 2007

Rutibex posted:

What's the name of the fat piece of poo poo who smugly waved at them

Bob Bailey, MPP for Sarnia-Lambton. He's been an MPP since 2007.

You can contact his office here https://bobbaileympp.com/contact/

Segue
May 23, 2007

We're in the maximalist policy option phase. PM Pierre Poilievre will probably use Disallowment when a province passes its own climate plan when he cancels them all.

Justin is a coward but the Cons aren't. This poo poo sucks, but gotta keep fighting and not back down on any front. Power to unions.

Also Metrolinx maintenance is going on strike Monday. poo poo is gonna go down (my lovely white collar union just voted 82% on an awful new contract. Cowards.)

Segue
May 23, 2007

RBC posted:

yeah that or procapitalist court will say everythng he did is legal and send out the jackboots to break up the strike and everyone will forget about this in a month

The LRB hearing has been suitably depressing. I'm hoping the Greenbelt changes galvanize some more people because another 4 years of this is so soul-crushing.

But I mean gotta keep fighting cause the dread will continue no matter what.

Segue
May 23, 2007

In yet another astonishing Ontario omnishambles story, Ford's Strong Mayors Act got updated today and apparently includes the provision that mayors can pass laws with 1/3 + 1 council members if it aligns with provincial priorities. It codifies undemocratic minority rule even more

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/1592945558913966080?t=LwxB3lCdIu31XVLhgem_Eg&s=19

And John Tory campaigned for this power behind closed doors during the election. Like I'm just baffled by the flouting of even the pretense of democracy.

Like can we just not be completely mask-off evil for a little bit? Jesus Christ I'm laughing at my political philosophy classes about democratic system strengths from only like a decade ago.

Segue
May 23, 2007

If you want to read a more academic thesis on Metis identity, Chris Andersen's book lays out the case for Red River identity pretty thoroughly (and picks fights with national Metis identity).

I remember it helped my thinking on the issue years ago

https://www.ubcpress.ca/metis

Segue
May 23, 2007

NDP have actually had a more nuanced take than the Liberals traditionally on gun control, particularly due to Northern Ontario and other MPs with significant Indigenous hunting populations.

That said, gently caress guns I do not understand them as a hobby it literally causes my brain to seize up.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Robarts and OCAD are at least aesthetically adventurous. I'll take that over whatever bland 50 storey condo tower with a few odd angles they keep putting up.

Also I hate the ROM crystal because it's basically one of those towers crashing into a museum entrance.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Guigui posted:

Does Radio Canada have a good on-line (en direct) streaming service like the english CBC does? They used to have some real good reporting in the early aughts.

I don't know but I've tried listening to Radio Canada now and then and it's such a different experience with stories about "wokeism" and being able to say the n word and it feels so much more conservative than Anglophone CBC.

Which makes sense given their recent awful letter-writing campaign but ugh it feels like AM radio.

Segue
May 23, 2007

That story makes no sense:

Global News posted:

Both sources said Dong allegedly suggested to Han Tao, China’s consul general in Toronto, that if Beijing released the “Two Michaels,” whom China accused of espionage, the Opposition Conservatives would benefit.

Why would the Conservatives gain from the Michaels being released? They were badgering Trudeau every day on being soft on China and leveraging this.

Global News posted:

Throughout 2021, then-Conservative leader Erin O’Toole unsuccessfully pressed Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to take a hawkish stance with Beijing and suggested Ottawa use the threat of sanctions to secure Kovrig and Spavor’s freedom.

They were literally in prison because we took a hawkish stance and imprisoned Meng Wenzhou. What economic pressure can Canada put on that would not result in even more retaliation?

These CSIS leakers are literally going to get someone killed. It's absolutely insane that the media is taking disgruntled CSIS staffers at their word and anonymously. The organization is notoriously reactionary.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Lol CBC trying to project with 5% of the vote like some two bit CNN. At least it helps drive my anxiety

Segue
May 23, 2007

It's been fascinating to see the knee-jerk on Sainte-Marie without engaging with the actual article.

The summary is she was definitively born to an Italian-American couple, claimed a bunch of different tribal identities when she was starting out in the music scene then in her early 20s was adopted into a Canadian Indigenous family.

She has since done a whole bunch of great activism for Indigenous groups and could be considered culturally Indigenous but her claims of having ancestry or adoption are not plausible according to the reporting. Her uncle and brother both spoke out decades ago about it.

There's a side-story where she has accused her deceased brother of abuse. His family maintains the first time the accusations were raised was when he told a network executive she wasn't Indigenous in the 70s. It's just awful all around.

Segue
May 23, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

That's all this is right? They walked by a hospital and one guy climbed a streetlight or whatever? Lmao, wonder how many children the Israeli's were blowing up at the exact same time as this vile antisemitic act

Yes, that's all that happened. Reposting the great article from the other thread as well as the most disingenuous politician take yet.

So we can stop bickering, local news source The Grind wrote a detailed account from a journalist who attended the rally.

It's very well done and highlights the importance of local media and you should toss them some money.

https://www.thegrindmag.ca/what-happened-mount-sinai-hospital-palestine-rally-passed-by/

The Grind posted:

During the Feb. 12 rally, the most visibly prominent flag waver from a height was an individual dressed up in a black Spiderman costume. I noticed that individual on several structures and buildings in the two-and-a-bit hours that I was at the rally. Looking at their Instagram stories, spiderman4palestine, and at other social media posts you could see at least eight structures this person was on. These included, in rough chronological order:

1. A raised platform at Yonge and Bloor at the start of the rally, maybe construction scaffolding, along with numerous other people
2. On top of a lamppost on Yonge St. at Charles St.
3. High on a lamppost on Yonge St. just south of Wellesley St.
4. Above the under-construction awning of Mount Sinai Hospital on University Ave, with the help of at least two other people who were on the awning
5. On top of a statue in the middle divider of University Ave., just south of Mount Sinai Hospital
6. On top of a building on Dundas St., one block east of University Ave.
7. On top of the Joey Eaton restaurant on Dundas St., just west of Yonge St., and then walking along on the overhang of the entrance to 1 Dundas St. W.
8. A traffic light post at Yonge and Dundas

At the intersection of University Ave and Gerrard St., across from Mount Sinai Hospital, a number of participants moved into the left (northbound) lane to stop traffic moving that way. The protest had stopped traffic both ways previously on Yonge St. and on College St., as protests often do.

Police moved in to stop protesters from blocking the intersection at Gerrard St., seemingly intent on allowing cars to turn right and leave University Ave. through there. There was a brief standoff and pause, and then the rally’s marshalls moved the crowd out of the intersection.

This is around the time when the 21-second video was taken of the person in the Spiderman costume climbing up the hospital entrance. The sub-section of the crowd visible in that video is hardly moving forward, which is something people have pointed to as evidence that the hospital was targeted.

However, there was no announcement made by organizers that the rally was stopping intentionally at Mount Sinai Hospital, and the crowd left the area within about 15 or 20 minutes of arriving there. This is about as long as the crowd stayed at other intersections. It was definitely a shorter stay than at the intersections where it had started and where it would end. The total duration of the rally was a bit over three and a half hours.

There is a federal law, C-3, which deems it an offence for anyone who “intentionally obstructs or interferes with another person’s lawful access to a place at which health services are provided by a health professional.” As far as I saw while I was passing the hospital, the entranceway was clear and no one was stopped from entering or exiting the building. Other than vague mentions, I found no specific evidence that people were prevented from entering or exiting the building.

Once the intersection of Gerrard and University began clearing, a few people walked south along University Ave. through the stopped or very slow-moving cars. Many drivers rolled down their windows to express support for the protesters’ cause. Others did not.

I saw one incident, which may have been the one that went viral the next day. As I saw it from around 20 metres away, there was a brief argument between someone in a car and protesters who stood near the car. One person stood in front of the car with a Palestinian flag and others stood beside it. Within a minute or two, the crowd moved away from that car without further incident. I was not right there, and did not see everything and couldn’t hear what was said.

Jews Say No To Genocide Coalition, which includes several groups of Toronto Jews who are opposed to what Israel is doing in Gaza, took to Instagram to respond to Trudeau’s tweet, writing: “This is anti-Palestinian racism. This is a distraction from genocide. Do not let our government and media stop us from having #AllEyesOnRafa.”

In response to the Friends of Simon Wiesenthal Centre thanking Trudeau for his statement on X, Independent Jewish Voices wrote in response:

“Quickly, how was the hospital ‘targeted,’ and what actual damage to Jewish individuals and communities took place? From where we’re standing, this ‘vile display’ looks pretty kosher. Antisemitism isn’t just a rhetorical cudgel you can use against people you disagree with. It’s not a specter summoned by the Palestinian flag. To combat actual antisemitism in Canada, we have to be clear about its meaning and impact. Toronto’s protest was not antisemitic.”

Meanwhile it continues to grow in rumour so you have the leader of the Ontario Liberal Party tweeting this unfounded terror

https://x.com/BonnieCrombie/status/1757492668198690917?s=20

Also I'm glad Oliphant is standing by his statements but I guess I couldn't be a politician because I would have immediately resigned ages ago at genocide enabling.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Dreylad posted:

oh my god. they were across the road!? I thought they were on the same side of the street. god dammit.

They were on the same side. Sinai is in the South lanes you may be thinking of sick kids across the street. But as stated, they were just at the intersection on the way to the US Consulate which is also on the South lanes side.

Segue
May 23, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

bitch they already hosed up the dentalcare plan they promised

Look, I get the Liberals suck and the phase-in is annoying, but seniors, children, and people with disabilities will all have access by June as the bureaucracy works the kinks out. It started slow because it's a fundamental shift in care against a deeply hostile provider (dentists), and everyone under 90k will be eligible in less than a year. That's not super slow for a national health program, even if it is means tested, it's still a very big change.

They've already said contraception and diabetes care kick in immediately, and the NDP language around single payer has me hopeful if still cynical.

I get we're all angry at the amount of push that was needed to get these in the third term of a mandate, but if we can get much cheaper childcare, dental care, and pharmacare through (much as conservative premiers try to sabotage), I consider these fundamentally good news stories even if much of the other Liberal policies are horseshit.

Can we not doompost a little bit.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

meanwhile disabled people are still supposed to survive in this country on like $1100 when the rent for a 1bed apartment is $2k a month

This is what really fucks with me. The feds are slowly talking about doing their own program (lol) because conservative provincial governments are actively killing people by gutting these programs which were already awful. Ford and Smith especially. It's literally criminal.

Segue
May 23, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

The Newfies are up to something

Today they certainly are! I encourage people to watch the videos, they're wild.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/budget-day-protests-ffaw-fish-harvesters-1.7149383

CBC posted:

The Newfoundland and Labrador government has gone to the Supreme Court to seek an injunction against fish harvesters who swarmed Confederation Building on Wednesday as part of an ongoing protest over fishery regulations that has led to the postponement of the provincial budget. 

Video from the scene shows public servants struggling to get through the melee and get to work. At one point, Meghan McCabe, director of communications for Premier Andrew Furey, tried to get through the crowd but was pushed back by a pair of irate protesters hurling expletives.

"Get back. Don't be stupid," one yelled as McCabe walked backward away from them. 

The hundreds of protesters are fish harvesters and supporters, who have been lobbying government to open markets to outside buyers since early March.

As it stands, they can sell their catches only to buyers inside the province at a price agreed upon by the Fish, Food & Allied Workers union and the Association of Seafood Producers.

And apparently similar things might happen with the Saskatchewan budget today

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/teacher-protests-could-overshadow-saskatchewan-budget-release-1.2049283

Bloomberg posted:

Meanwhile, thousands of teachers plan to descend on the legislative building and demand the province negotiate on classroom sizes and other supports.

The Saskatchewan Teachers' Federation and the province have been at an impasse for months over whether those issues should be in the collective agreement.

Segue
May 23, 2007

It's frustrating because, like with health and education which are also falling apart, a lot of the policy levers for housing are at the mercy of the lovely conservative premiers that immiserate us all. If Trudeau could do anything it would be actually reinstitute federal house building but that requires a tax base, institutional will, and frankly an infrastructure knowledge that we've farmed out to the lovely private sector (look at transit projects).

He could say gently caress the division of powers but he's lost badly in the courts recently on environment regs so he's gunshy and meanwhile Premiers who have been in power for a decade are robbing futures.

And I don't mean to excuse him, he should absolutely do more that his beliefs won't let him do, but god the Premiers are just boobs ripping apart lives. The fact that we're talking about a federal disability program because Premiers are killing people by not improving theirs is so frustrating.

Segue
May 23, 2007

God I just read a really depressing piece in the New Yorker about how much the UK has been ruined by 14 years of conservative rule and just looking at the Premiers and Poilievre I wonder what will be standing in 10 here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segue
May 23, 2007

Chow's been trying to placate the police and gave them all the funding they wanted. She also rents out her house to students because we're not allowed to have a leader not invested in housing financialization.

But she's been decent at guiding some wins and playing Doug Ford for a bit, and at least she's been active unlike the entire career of Tory doing absolutely nothing