Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

infernal machines posted:

during the city meeting the OPS revealed that they allowed the convoy logistics encampment
Can someone make this make even a little bit of sense for me?

Like, they didn't have permits to protest in the first place, right? So why the gently caress do they get a supply camp? Who owns the space they're using for the encampment?

I get it if the cops literally cannot disrupt the protest itself from lacking the machinery to haul the trucks out of the core, but it seems like a bare minimum effort to disrupt the protest by cutting off supplies?

Gonna be so pissed of people fall for "this is why the cops need more funding" bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Juul-Whip posted:

It's because the police support the fascists, op
youd think they at least try to be a bit more subtle about it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Why is it that I know of multiple established youtube creators struggle to get twitter verified but seemingly every other loving nobody chud is verified?

but also literally cackled out loud. Yeah, Trudeau gonna step down any day bro.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CaptainACAB posted:

I have yet to hear an argument that wiping Texas from the map wouldn't improve humanity.

A lot of left-leaning folk live in the cities, namely some friends.

Just shoot all the republican politicians into the sun and it'd be good enough.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

skipmyseashells posted:

some of those that work forces, are the same that hold up crossings

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pretend I linked a bunch of PSAs we all remember like "House Hippos" "Astar from Planet Danger" and "Don't you put it in your mouth"

Apparently the flu trux klan folks could have stood to remember the lessons from those a bit better.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, seems pretty easy to get organized when the police are literally doing nothing. Feel like it'd be a good bit different if you even had police handing out bylaw/parking tickets, or you know, not literally handing them a location to set up a supply camp.

Like didn't lefties take over a city core in the states for awhile the other year during the height of BLM protests? Felt like that pissed off the residents a whole lot less too.

Terror Sweat posted:

By that logic literally every single major protest is a group of terrorists. You telling me there wasn't an attempted murder during the iraq war protests? How about the farmers march in India, no attempted murder there?

This is an ample opportunity by the left to organize and communicate with the disgruntled working class and instead they are being demonized as terrorists. This just leads them to the conservatives. Workers complaining about material conditions should always be embraced man. There is an opportunity here that is not being taken.
I know a lot of truckers that are supporting these guys, and they're immigrants who have been shafted by this pandemic and the government response for a while now. Back when it all started, they had to keep working as essential workers and were treated like trash to keep everything running. Do you know how undignified it is to have to poo poo in a bucket because all public restrooms are closed and you have a multihour trip? These grievances pile up

This by all accounts is a very small minority of truckers. It's a bunch of angry white men who are clearly well off enough to not be working to have a little tantrum, not poor frontline workers.

People have said it countless times that there'd be a ton more sympathy if these people were remotely protesting actual worker issues like pay and hours, but instead it's bitching about having to be vaccinated.

Oxyclean has issued a correction as of 17:15 on Feb 8, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Possibly repeating myself, but I feel like things would be a whole lot different if the cops were handing out tickets from day one.

Given that exact thing deterred the protest in Quebec. Chuds act hard, but when faced with tickets they'd actually have to contest, I think a lot of them would be a lot less willing to be martyrs.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

I just saw a herd of them headed west on the 417 slowing down traffic. they’d better be leavings and not migrating to the suburbs where my mom lives, jfc

saw some OPP squad cars near the sir John A, was just OPS last week. Maybe something is happening.

probably loving not though

On one hand, I want them to gently caress off, and for your mom to be safe.

on the other, pissing of suburbanites would be a fantastic way for them to lose even more support.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

the astroturfing campaign happening around this dumbass protests on social media has been insane

made the mistake of looking at the post on the main canada subreddit about that Liberal MP saying mandates should end or w/e and there was just a few too many "im vaxxed, but..." sorts of posts for my tastes.

Granted that place has been a hellhole for some time.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

"Quebecios are Canadians but with a bigger persecution complex" doesn't feel terribly off the mark

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm tempted to double down and be abrasive, but I legitimately do not understand the issue, if only because I'm seeing it in the same way that canadians are mocked for smugly holding themselves over americans, it sometimes feels like quebec is doing that to anglo canada.

Like I feel like i'm not entirely sure I should see "protecting french (canadian) culture" any different then "protecting white culture." and Quebec.

I mean this in the least antagonistic way possible, but like, what am I falling for here?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Until Canada learns how to pronounce "Lieutenant" we can forever shut the gently caress up about any other country's pronunciation
If you're talking about that British poo poo where they just pronounce it like it's spelled a completely different way, I will not hear it.

It's a word crime on the level of Colonel.

I will spell colour with a "u" but I will not abide that nonsense.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tim's Donuts seems passable, if maybe only because the alternatives basically don't exist. Grocery store donuts are even more sad and lacking in variety, I think my city might have one or two specialty donut places, but they're too far from me / have like 5$ delivery fees.

Not that it's an option, but I refuse to believe a place named "Kripsy Kreme" can be any better either.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

lmbo theres apparently a blockade at the busiest border crossing in MB now.

This is all so loving dumb.
I'd say "why can't we get a general strike like this"

but I already know how that would be treated differently.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

if there isn't a tazer-balls level self-own by a chud by the end of this mess, I'll be very disappointed.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i think off and on about what kind of person i could have been, in terms of ending up a chud. like i grew up queer in the south in an abusive family and it obviously had an impact on me. if i were straight would i be going to church and voting for trump? christ the thought kind of terrifies me
I feel like i had some real near misses in my 20s, on reddit and a) non-religious b) misplaced angst about feminism and c) someone who identified with their hobby of gaming.

Being queer and in a heavily queer community was a good means to offset a lot of that poo poo. I mean, I was pro gay rights from well before I was comfortable with acknowledging I might not be straight - but that kind of fueled a bit of an anti-religious mentality. But it honestly makes a little too much sense to me how young men get radicalized. I feel like i came very close to buying into the "evil SJW" crap in gaming, if not actually kind of believing it for awhile, before it got real bad & became apparent it was stupid as gently caress.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I wonder about that too. Liberals divert people to idpol, which fuels culture war, while the underlying conditions remain the same, which causes problems, which Liberals then redirect to culture war 🔄

Would the people who become gamer reactionaries otherwise be leftists if that had been introduced to them first? I think the Bernie and Corbyn campaigns did a not of good for addressing that, though in the 2010s Canada didn’t really have a voice for disaffected young people who feel poo poo sucks and are looking for an explanation why, Peterson filled the void.
Maybe? Quite possibly? Some of the pro-consumer voices in gaming are getting increasingly loud and obvious with the leftist angle of "it's capitalism that is ruining gaming, not minorities, you morons" and it generally feels like people are waking up to the notion more broadly.

Frosted Flake posted:

e: Everything you guys are saying make sense. It’s just too bad there’s not a way to predictably catch people at that moment, you know as a mass movement rather than individuals slowly coming to terms with things and finding small online communities or books or social groups.
Yeah, no, it's loving hard. It's sort of the problem of hard answers. It took me some time to get out of my own rear end over stuff like feminism - I don't know if toxic masculinity was a term that was being commonly used at the time, but I know there was a time I would have been cynical/less receptive, despite it kind of addressing some angst that made me initially put off by feminism, if that makes any sense.

A good chunk of it really is just kind of being a little less egotistical, and realizing poo poo like not using slurs or mis-gendering people is not some great violation of your personal rights/freedoms/language.

mediaphage posted:

i struggle a lot with being anti religious in part because it’s always been such a negative experience outside of being an 8 yo in sunday school, and i think a lot of moderate religious folk sort of wittingly or unwittingly provide cover for the more unhinged types.
Same. I'm all for personal faith, but I kind of don't like the effects organized religion feels like it has, namely the cover you mention. But i'm also kind of out of touch, having really never been religious, or had particularly religious family members or friends.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

well, good news!

i can wait for all the :qq: in the coming months as the people involved in the blockades discover they're on a list and no longer welcome in the us

Honestly it'd be very poetic given the original stated grievances.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

paul_soccer12 posted:

freedom means i get to do whatever i want without limitations at all times and if it impacts anybody else that is not my problem. anything less is tyranny
What sticks in my head is a comparison to drivers licenses and road rules.

Requiring me to prove I can drive safely through highly unreasonable and costly means of driving school and multiple license tests is an abridgement of my personal freedom of movement. The accommodations of "just take the bus" or "walk" are not enough. This requirement for a license impedes my ability to work.

So what if I want to drive on the sidewalk? If you don't feel safe, get off the sidewalk, stay at home! The rest of us just want to *live*!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

me and my friends "hey please stop killing black people"
cops and feds: gently caress YOU HERES SOME CHEMICAL WARFARE

these jackholes "some incoherent rambling about vaccine mandates"
cops: ok fellas, you had your fun would you all please go home? you will? thanks.
Clearly you should have used children as human shields.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

the Queen of England is doing fine.
Well she's in the process of phase switching, so "fine" might be up for debate.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

isn't impersonating a police officer a crime?

there has been many crimes committed in front of cops over the past few weeks, what would make this one any different?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's like an unironic version of that Futurama bit about letting the murder bots kill until they hit their kill quota.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Snowfall warning for ottawa with possibility of slippery conditions. :toot:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

americans shouldn't be allowed to post

like, not just in this thread or forum, in general

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Karach posted:

it's pretty much what you expect. "I don't listen to mainstream media. I never close the Rebel News tab on my browser.
I really kind of despise the absolute brainrot/lack of critical thinking to not see the hypocrisy in saying you hate mainstream media only to glom onto what is basically just a second mainstream, only it happens to validate your world view.

like it just really boils my piss for how the right wing basically exists entirely through a victim complex they accuse everyone else of having

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

people too scared to get their shots for their country are totally going to stand up and get shot for their country

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gun nuts being very particular and mad about incorrect terminology just makes me think of a kid telling his grandma that it's a playstation, not a nintendo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Karach posted:

call a bullet container a clip. I dare you.

or a cartridge a bullet.

Are you implying doom is wrong?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

leftist heap posted:

eager to see how this somehow still results in worse car culture, bigger vehicles and worse public transportation/bike/ped infra. i'm confident it will happen

we need more direct and higher speed roads with less stops so we don't have cars wasting gas idling. all pedestrians will have to use bridges or tunnels to cross roads so less cars need to stop at cross walks

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

and if they do, lol if you think it'll be accessible to anyone with even the slightest mobility issues
Yeah, i figured that was just implied lol

Honestly I feel like the bridges would be far more pedestrian antagonistic then not for that reason.

bridges means people can shout at you for not using them

EvilJoven posted:

We already got this in a lot of places and oh look it just made everything worse.
Well, there is one layer of truth to it - roads dedicated to cars and nothing else, and roads better designed around their speed, are both ways we could get greater pedestrian safety.

But that first one implies creating dedicated pedestrian/bike infrastructure to go with the dedicated car infrastructure. The second is more that if you want to slow people down, you need to do more then just put up speed limits.

considering how many more people are killed by motor vehicles every year than firearms, i suggest rigorous and comprehensive restrictions on private vehicle ownership
don't threaten us with a good time

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I can almost see how someone thought those signs were more cute then insulting. Definitely coming from, or okayd by, some energy vampire busybody types who are way too excited to get back to the office and think everyone else wants the same.

"ha ha, sure sucks we gotta be uncomfortable and also make our pets sad for this dumb song and dance"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'd trade sales tax for just taxing the rich a lot more.

But also maybe retail should be forced to include sales tax in list prices.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

grey goo scenario, only it's endless increases to policing and police budgets

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ah yes, canadians love to pay for dental bills, and/or skipping seeing the dentist to save money.
https://twitter.com/furlotte_j/status/1506285433185001491?s=20&t=SJG0XoKEhSeK7mdz-pIyMw
I get dental from work but it hardly covers everything. I had to basically be strategic with some stuff to keep it on my plan and not pay out of pocket.

Also, think I had to pay out of pocket for anything more then freezing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

it's one wisdom tooth extraction, how much could it cost, 10$?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ToxicAcne posted:

A lot of people on twitter are saying that this was a bad move and that they can't vote for the NDP anymore

What even is the alternative at that point though?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Noblesse Obliged posted:

“Defund the CBC” is one of those phrases which tells me nothing about the politics of the person saying it. it’s something I think everyone agrees with these days

It is?

I kind of don't care, and assume anyone saying defund CBC is one of those "LIEberal medial!!1" types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Danaru posted:

Lol the salvation Army is loving scum (not actually a lol)
hosed up the doctors did not prescribe a fist to the face of the landlord.

Try the landlord for manslaughter imo.