Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Isizzlehorn posted:

Hey, anyone else get some weird poo poo in the mail recently by Epoch Times? Never seen it before, seems incredibly odd timing for a new newspaper brand to startup during a pandemic.

Oh, and it's full of conspiracy theory's just about China. Like, just that, no adds. Makes no sense.

It’s Falun Gong propaganda. It’s not new; they’ve been publishing it since 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

apatheticman posted:

https://twitter.com/PeterMacKay/status/1256244653818630146?s=20

What a loving piece of poo poo.

I now realize this may have been posted already...

Yes that's one of the major goals of politics: collective action to prevent further tragedy. Unless he'd rather we just ban everything for no reason. What a fuckwit.

Feel free to argue if you think the change will be effective or not but don't argue we shouldn't make changes in response to tragedies.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

why the hell is the lawn so loving immaculate

lipstick on a rotten, bloated pig

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jan posted:

that's ok, all those freeloaders who were refusing to go back to work will now have to get off their asses and work themselves to death to truly restart the economy!!

Well that sucks. :(

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Albino Squirrel posted:

Between the pharmacy and maybe some donated funds to the clinic, we'll get the co-pay covered. This case highlights how ridiculous the rules for the co-pay are, however.

Both welfare and AISH expire when you hit 65, as you're covered by senior's blue cross. But suddenly you have to pay up to $25 per prescription - what if you're on 15 prescriptions? Many of which may be necessary to keep you alive? What if you can't manage your meds well, because you have cognitive issues, and it would be safer to dispense your meds weekly, but that would mean it's $25 per prescription per week instead of per 3 months? I frequently have to balance out patient safety versus patient cost issues when patients are over 65.

Fortunately my patient population doesn't trend old... unfortunately it's because the life expectancy in the neighbourhood in which I work is something like 42.

Pharmacare is health care, and this is the biggest gap in the Canada Health Act. I would love it if the NDP made national pharmacare the condition of their continued support of the Libs.

I haven't asked for details but I'm pretty sure my pharmacist might be doing a fraud for the benefit of his customers by charging more, submitting for coverage, then forgiving or charging less than the full copay. I'm going to keep going to that pharmacist until I die if I can help it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
I really, really hope this happens. It won't benefit me directly but I think it's about time we stopped forcing people to jump through hoops when the government already has everything they need to calculate most people's tax returns and give them benefits they qualify for.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/free-automatic-tax-returns-benefits-1.5739678

quote:

The federal government says it will soon introduce a free, automatic tax filing system for simple returns — a policy change meant to provide government benefits to qualified people who don't collect them now because they skip filing their taxes.

The promise — a one-line commitment buried in the 6,783-word speech from the throne — could help hundreds of thousands of low- and fixed-income Canadians access benefits that are only paid to people who file tax returns.

By law, and in most cases, only people who owe taxes are required to file a return each year with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Many people — notably those on government assistance — don't expect to owe the federal government anything, so they seldom file.

Under the proposed changes, the CRA itself would draw up the paperwork for such simple returns each year — using data they already have on hand about individuals' income — to eliminate a bureaucratic burden that stands in the way of financial support.

Experts in tax policy have long said that the CRA already has enough personal information to automatically fill out tax returns for many infrequent filers. Much of the needed figures are electronically transmitted to the agency by employers and government agencies alike.

Thirty-six countries, including Germany, Japan and the United Kingdom, already permit return-free filing for some taxpayers.

Many Canadians missing out on federal money
On average, 12 per cent of working-age adults in Canada don't send in a return each year — a number that jumps to 15.9 per cent in Ontario, according to figures compiled by researchers at Carleton University.

As a result, many would-be recipients miss out on some federal programs like the Canada child benefit (CCB), the Canada workers benefit and the carbon tax rebate — money that could give a significant leg-up to low-income families.

Fewer than 3 per cent of homeless Canadians collect the GST/HST credit, according to research done by the Calgary Homeless Foundation.

Research from Prosper Canada, published in 2018, suggests as many as 40 per cent of eligible First Nations families aren't collecting the CCB — a monthly cheque paid to people with kids who fall below a certain income bracket.

A 2017 CBC News report documented internal government concerns about the slow uptake of the CCB among First Nations, Métis and Inuit people.

The Liberal government reworked the benefit, which was introduced by former prime minister Stephen Harper, and tightened eligibility to send more money to low- and middle-income Canadians — but many of the neediest were still left out.

Employment and Social Development Canada, the department responsible for sending the cheques to families, cited "a mistrust of the federal government and its programs and a resistance to taxation" as reasons why so many Indigenous people were leaving thousands of dollars unclaimed.

Lindsay Tedds is a professor of fiscal and economic policy at the University of Calgary. She said tying benefit eligibility to a tax filing is bad policy because it leaves out many eligible recipients who, for whatever reason, don't file returns.

Tedds said that for too long, tax filing and tax software lobby groups have been actively discouraging the CRA and its U.S. equivalent, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), from implementing automatic returns for fear it could put a dent in profits.

"I find it really disturbing that someone with a very simple tax return is going to a provider to pay $60 to have them fill out something that the CRA already can do," Tedds told CBC News.

"If we're going to deliver benefits through the tax system then we absolutely have to rethink our tax structure that was set up in 1918. A significant number of vulnerable people are missing out."

She said that while the change looks like a simple fix, it could go a long way toward achieving poverty reduction objectives.

A spokesperson for National Revenue Minister Diane Lebouthillier said the government is committed to making the tax process easier and more affordable for Canadians.

"In fact, in 2018, we introduced 'File my Return' where low and fixed-income Canadians were invited to file their tax returns through a simple and free telephone service," the spokesperson said in a statement.

But Tedds said that program — which involves CRA agents proactively reaching out to people by phone or mail to encourage them to file in order to collect benefits — isn't all that useful because there's a great deal of mistrust out there, especially among Indigenous people.

"We have a colonial and institutional system whereby the interaction they have with the state is solely the state coming to take their kids away, so proactively reaching out is not going to overcome these fundamental barriers," she said.

Tedds said many within the CRA see the institution as just a collection agency and not a purveyor of benefits — and are blind to the agency's grim reputation.

"The CRA is not known as being a loving, caring, nurturing organization to deal with," she said. "When we look at the data, CRA is not doing a fantastic job here.

"There are those in CRA and the Department of Finance who just don't fundamentally understand that the tax system is actually a barrier to achieving other objectives."

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
What's wrong with OCS, besides being overpriced?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Rutibex posted:

So it looks like a racist mob burned down a native lobster processing facility. Keep classy Canada:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/mi-kmaw-lobster-fishery-1.5761468

hosed up. This loving country.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

former glory posted:

I couldn't find the legit report anywhere off that tweet. Seems like it would be pretty massive news.

You have to comb through their old news releases, i.e. here are their revised August numbers in the September report are here:

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...-857566556.html

quote:

"The labour market continued to post a decline in employment," said Ahu Yildirmaz, vice president and co-head of the ADP Research Institute. "The biggest job losses were in the trade, transportation and utilities; education and healthcare; and manufacturing sectors."

The August total of jobs added was revised from -205,400 to -770,600.

The October 2020 ADP Canada National Employment Report will be released at 8:30a.m.ET on November 19, 2020.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

getting kicked out by my landlord at the end of my lease hell yeah. maybe i'll be real lucky and the market will have actually imploded by then

Condolences. Another idiotic landlord who thinks NOW is the best time to sell?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
they need to just start going straight to lockdown

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

And good shawarma

yeah same

a lot of my friends are still there and surviving off remote work or non-oil and gas work but probably half of them have moved away like I did

hell one is in halifax, he was able to find a better paying job there of all places

i have roots there and in the central interior bc but had to accept that moving back is never gonna happen

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Facebook Aunt posted:

The message I got as a kid in the 70s and 80s was "never forget that war is awful".

Same but the 90s, but I think a large part of that was because I had a social studies teacher all through high school that was great at talking about the horrors of war without denigrating or venerating the soldiers that were pressured or forced to fight. He introduced me to Dulce et Decorum est and it's a far better poem than In Flanders Fields.

quote:

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! Gas! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime...
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
The more I think about it, the more I think I might just see less of the jingoism being in the Toronto area where we don’t even get the day off.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i had an acquaintance trying to encourage me to use my corporation to borrow 10k and just pay back the minimum later i.e. free 2.5k iirc. obvs i didn't do it because i'm not a bastard like that.

i'm sure there was a shitload of fraud with that program too.

hope cra goes after those fraudsters too but i don't expect they will since the banks were administrating that program

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
is it rural areas though? my mom lives in rural AB and her area of 12k people has 8 active cases per 100k people. people are 100% masking up in public and have been for months regardless of public health orders, etc. not saying all of rural AB is like that but stats seem to indicate it's mostly calgary, edmonton, banff, and a few smaller cities that are the problems vOv

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Ardent Communist posted:

The bystander effect is real. That's why you gotta jump in everytime, and hopefully convince other people to help you, but you have to lead in that type of situation. Somebody has to, might as well be you. "It's none of your business" is the mantra of a coward.

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, that dude could have safely been run down with a shopping cart. Plenty of handy bludgeons around in that video. You don't just let someone continue their vicious beating and record it on camera, he could have killed his victim.

People are afraid they'll end up jumping in and then fighting some psycho alone. The trick is to grab someone by the shoulder and say something like "we gotta help this person" and then head in. Once two people get involved the odds more people will help increase ime.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

MonsieurChoc posted:

When I wanna talk about London, Ontario, I just say "Serial Killer Capital of the World".

Yeah what is it with that place? It's hosed up.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Another Bill posted:

I forget who was comparing the leftist activists being arrested in Hamilton to the lack of COVID enforcement but holy poo poo they actually did it. I'm completely shocked.

They handed out some big fines in Mississauga yesterday too:

https://twitter.com/CP24/status/1333124026957492226?s=20

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Fashionable Jorts posted:

i feel like theres been a propaganda campaign using the gross incompetence of Kenney to make Ontario look so much better.

Idk about that but as usual I've heard a lot of canadians comparing themselves to america smugly. "Sure it's bad, but could be worse like the USA eh?"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
I'm not sure there's a great solution to this issue tbh. There's value in discussing this stuff once kids reach a certain age, but I also understand why people who are victimized by these slurs aren't in love with the idea of them being used in a classroom.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
that seems like a good compromise

i'm glad to be proven wrong wrt my prior post

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Martian Manfucker posted:

pretty cool to wake up to an email from the CRA about how they can't determine if i'm eligible for the CERB i recieved even though i am and demanding repayment by december 20th with no information about what to do about this

give them a call and ask what you can do to resolve this

in my experience cra are almost always helpful when i've called them or vice versa

hopefully phone queues aren't so crazy long now

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
They're probably just doing a blitz to look for actual scammers, some people on reddit were getting the same messages. Here's someone with similar issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/k5sd8l/my_wife_received_a_weird_email_from_cra/

this does emphasize how bullshit it is that there is a MINIMUM though, the op on reddit got pinged because their 2020 income wasn't factored in yet. means tested garbage.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

and they mocked toronto for getting them to shovel snow

to be fair shoveling snow is easier than shoveling grandma's corpse into the cremation oven

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
they want the praise for introducing the program but i think they hope some people won't apply because they don't know they have to

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
is it asking for them from everyone? CRA standard operating procedure is to ask for supporting docs when you hit certain thresholds and/or i believe there's a random factor as well so maybe this BC thing will work that way?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
we should make tony hawk our gg

idgaf that he's not canadian, neither is the queen.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Truth, and not just limited to Alberta.

Cold on a Cob posted:

We passed on buying a house in Hamilton in 2013 because the house next to it had confederate flags in the windows. Our realtor had no loving clue why that was bad and why my WoC partner wouldn't want to live there, goddamn that realtor was dumb.

Edit: No worries some Ontarians get smug but I wasn't trying to imply anything wrt your post.

Cold on a Cob has issued a correction as of 23:34 on Jan 7, 2021

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
It's mind-boggling to me we're back to condos with 2013 rents but still at 2019 sales prices.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
I loving _told_ my friends in Calgary to get the gently caress out lol

Some did, but a few still own homes there. :cripes:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Eh. Call me when they get Mr Canoehead ranting at me to stay home.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
sorry inner city livers, but no frills in the suburbs are consistently pretty good and their produce is on par with the loblaws near me

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
weirdly enough I've had more bad experiences with President's Choice food than No Name but maybe that's because with no name i mostly stick to staples, ingredients, and canned vegetables whereas with PC i've tried some products like frozen pizzas or lasagna and been sorely disappointed

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Isizzlehorn posted:

Ehh, terribleness is fairly universal across humanity. We're more polite aboot it on average is all.

Exactly.

"Sorry about the whole residential schools thing, eh?"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Man I'd love it if I made a dumb tweet and Seth Rogen made fun of me. What a wuss.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

would you also love it if your mom came to your defence on the internet (again) and blew the whole thing up?

When my brother was 11 years old there was a bully that was picking on him constantly. The bully would bring his little gang of friends with him everywhere so my brother was afraid to fight back. The bully's parents would do nothing about it. My Mom got sick of it so after my brother came home with yet another bloody nose she drove my brother around until they found the bully. They get out of the truck and Mom tells the other kids "you stay out of this" then told my brother he can fight back now if he wants. Bully got smacked a few times and goes home crying, never bothers my brother again.

So... maybe?

1994 was a different time and I know that poo poo wouldn't fly nowadays but she was more of a "teach them to stand on their own" kind of parent. If anything she'd probably tease me for washing my hair with dog shampoo too, or tell me to stop saying dumb things online if I want to stop getting owned. Or maybe she would drive me to Seth Rogen's house.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

we just introduced a vacant property tax in toronto, to discourage empty "investment" properties. naturally, TREB busted out that exact same line about how this would discourage landlords and affect the rental market.

I know right? Can you imagine if a shitload of landlords decided to sell and the condo market bottomed out and people could afford to buy them?! Total chaos

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

covid doesn't go to church bruh

Some chud that died of covid posted this to his feed not long before he caught it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Only let Indigenous people own guns.