Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Whybird posted:

Now if only he could publish a book that Raggi had nothing to do with.

This is the name of my next OSR game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Cassa posted:

I mean if you look at what people pay writers working in a non-dead industry, 1c a word is laughable bullshit, and even 30c is a joke.

http://www.meaa.org/connect/rates/

That's an Australian organization though. The US$ is worth roughly $1.47, making rates apples and oranges until you do the conversion.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Nuns with Guns posted:

5e's virtual tools prospects weren't looking too great for a while at first, either. The original semi(?) official character builder WotC was working on with a third party contractor was apparently hot garbage and they cut ties with them. Then actual play streaming brought in a surge of interest in online games, and suddenly working Twitch (now Fandom) on a virtual tabletop platform (where they didn't have to do any of the heavy lifting) and supplying similar official resources on Roll20 was looking like an excellent idea.

That character generator, Codename Morningstar, was also supposed to do the same things that they wanted to do with 4e - full integration of the vtt and an exclusive market place for adventures.

The character generator was buggy, so WotC dropped them. The company pivoted to OGL and tried a Kickstarter that came up $350k too short. They tried a more modest Kickstarter which was cancelled when it wasn't going to fund and the owners pulled the plug on the whole company.

It's a shame because it probably delayed the 5e SRD and DMs Guild by a year.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

MadScientistWorking posted:

Speaking as someone who has signed legal documents from Paizo they have a pretty poor reputation with how they handle them. I think at one point there was a year backlog on sending them out. I know a dozen or so people that were in a similar boat of supposed to be under legal documentation but not.

And anymore, that's why I sign things before I stay writing the final product.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

potatocubed posted:

Black game designers I can point you towards:

• Eloy Lasanta, creator of Ninja Crusade 2nd edition (rad) and Orun (forthcoming) amongst other things.
  • Misha Bushyager, who has credits on about eleven million things and I think was lead editor for the #Feminism anthology.
  • Nick Butler, who hasn't done much yet but I reckon is one to watch in future. His Tidebreaker is currently in... open beta, I think?
  • Allie Bustion, who has a whole bunch of designs on itch and should probably be better known than she is.
  • Quinn Murphy, who is an extremely insightful designer and has been around forever.
  • Chris Spivey, who I just sort of assume everyone knows but maybe people don't? He's the man behind Harlem Unbound and a new weird west game that I can never remember the name of.
  • Mike Pondsmith, who I also assume everyone knows about but maybe not. Creator of Cyberpunk 2020.

That should get you started.

Spivey's new project is Haunted West. Last Kickstarter update is that they should deliver by late winter.

I think he has another project soon that was going to be a Chaosium release until it wasn't?

Edit: the setting was called Kadimah

https://www.chaosium.com/blognew-future-for-kadimah-rpg-setting-darker-hue-and-chaosium-agree-on-new-home-for-science-fiction-project/

Eastmabl fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 12, 2020

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Gray Ghost posted:

I actually think the Ancestries & Cultures release by Arcanist Press should probably just be used instead. Check it out here .

Took them 2 months compared to however many years for WotC.

I wrote this almost two years ago. I'm sure it's imperfect in retrospect, but I'm waiting to find out that WOTC steals that such I adopted from 13th Age.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/250734

Or they'll blatantly steal from this product that staff already knows about.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/287638/Grazilaxxs-Guide-to-Ancestry

Eastmabl fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 18, 2020

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Yes, thanks. Fixed in the original.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

This Jeff person came out of tweet-retirement (6 months of silence) to post this?

(their last tweet was responding to a criticsm of their Zak-defending blog by saying that "when in doubt, [I] feel that sticking with a friend is the best move")

Probably the last time Zak von Pantshitter needed to look at the password list under his keyboard.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Mors Rattus posted:

Or check by googling, apparently, which is what I did. That’s weird.

A number of indie designers I know really hate this design.

Especially if they're broadly in the 5e OGL space where they're not allowed in the Guild... But surprise.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Apparently, Patrick Stuart never cut ties with Raggi/:zak:.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Meinberg posted:

I absolutely believe that Critical Role should switch from D&D 5e to a game that more usefully helps to drive their play, something like Fellowship as a for instance. I also further believe that no one should be actual playing D&D 5e and I’ll start hollering at TAZ once I’ve gotten CR to nudge.

Like, I get that smaller APs use the name recognition to help propel themselves, but also there are other ways of marketing, and other values in promoting smaller games. It is a massive sea of games out there and the fact so many of Actual Plays (which have become the main means of marketing for the industry) play only D&D 5e with all of its attached baggage is a indictment on these Actual Players and their audience’s unwillingness to play another god drat game.

Remember how TAZ did that already but went right back to D&D?

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Tibalt posted:

I get that some people think that the system doesn't matter for APs like these, but all the evidence points against it. If you're going to start up an AP, it's pretty clear you've got a choice between "D&D or everything else" because the D&D AP viewers only watch D&D streams, at least according to the streamers. On top of that, TAZ clearly lost a chunk of audience as soon as Amnesty started, and it seemed to come back when they switched back to D&D with Graduation. You can point to differences in how Griffin ran things, and maybe that's true. But it really looks like viewers care more about system than you'd think, and social media algorithms are amplifying that effect.

I'm sure they lost listeners, but they also choose the wrong system for Griffin, who apparently needs to have a big plotted ending for his games.

The smart move would have been handing Clint the DM chair. He has the most amount of time, the least amount of kids at home, the least amount of podcasts, and he did voice work for a living. Plus, the brothers could all use the improv work that they've practiced in the decade of MBMAM.

I have alternate head canon where Clint did this and we got seven years of My Brother, My Brother and Buffy.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Kai Tave posted:

Remember they also pulled someone's product for "provocative content" which turned out to be "gay content specifically" while leaving swathes of the usual bikini maiden/sexy concubine stuff up for sale.

Not just up for sale. That art is in Creator Art Packs that WotC has encouraged creators to use with DMs Guild products.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Arthil posted:

Now I want a King of the Hill D&D box set.

Where Dale is the DM?

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Arthil posted:

Are there issues with Zzarchov Kowolski specifically that I've not seen in this thread, or is it just the branding for LotFP?

Like to echo this question

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Deleting for the moment, pending clarification

Eastmabl fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 4, 2020

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is making me wonder*, is there ever a (most certainly fictional) example of a group that you could call "savages" without it being gross?

Family members of the country singer Randy

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Toshimo posted:

So, here's a loose org chart of current D&D Staff:
  • Head of Franchise: Nathan Stewart
  • Head of Publishing and Licensing: Luz Schuh
  • Executive Producer: Ray Winniger
  • Senior Producer: Chris Perkins
  • Design Manager: Steve Scott
  • Franchise Creative Director: Mike Mearls
  • Principal Rules Designer: Jeremy Crawford
  • Game Designer: Dan Dillon
  • Game Designer: Taymoor Rehman
  • Game Designer: Kate Welch
  • Organized Play Lead: Chris Lindsay
  • Digital Marketing Manager: Bart Carroll
  • Community Manager: Brandy Camel

Nathan Stewart was the previous VP and got promoted, so you're probably talking about someone just above Winniger, which is like... probably still 2-3 steps above Mearls.

Sadly, Kate Welch is no longer with WotC.

https://twitter.com/katewelchhhh/status/1294450991673167872?s=19

Edit: that's not a tweet from someone who planned leaving their job.

Eastmabl fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 21, 2020

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

admanb posted:

Step 1 in fixing WOTC D&D's diversity problem: lay off the woman.

That, or she left a very hostile situation.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

paradoxGentleman posted:

Glad to hear Paizo is doing this. I don't expect them to turn into a decent corporation (as decent as a corporation can be, at least) overnight, but it's a good first step.

Interestingly enough, it looks like only a portion of Paizo is a corporation (and only since 2014). Its publishing arm is an LLC.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Leperflesh posted:

LLC stands for Limited Liability Corporation

LLC stands for "limited liability company."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_liability_company?wprov=sfla1

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Leperflesh posted:

nope Eastmabl is correct and I was dead wrong. LLCs are not corporations. Gonna leave that embarrassing evidence of correcting someone incorrectly up there for all to see.

To your credit, almost all corporations have what's called "limited liability." Thus, calling a corporation a "limited liability corporation" may be redundant, but it isn't wrong.

A corporation would need to use a state-approved designation that it's a corporation. For example, "___ Corporation," "___ Corp." or "___, Inc." are all fairly common uses.

"LLC" is the signifier of "limited liability company." It offers the limited liability from corporations without saddling the company with the burden of the corporate form.

For small businesses, like RPG publishers and FLGS, it helps shield business owners from losing their home in the event of business' bankruptcy.

Edit: also, I missed a bunch of pages.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

It's a shame that we tore down all the statues of the Three Fifths Compromise, the Thirteenth through Fifteenth Amendments, or the Women's Suffrage movement. They probably would remember just how many people whose representation the Founding Fathers fought for.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
I spent the last last three pages reading though the thread only to realize that Matt McFarland =/= Matt McElroy.

What the gently caress, OPP.

(Actually, I know what the gently caress. It's this lovely industry.)

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

CitizenKeen posted:

Conan the IP doesn't do anything for me, but the 2d20 implementation is this sweet spot in the 2d20 spectrum that I really like. It's a really solid system.

There's a good 2d20 thread as well.

Personally, 2d20 has gone from being "We wish were Genesys, but we've just got regular polyhedrals" to "We wish we were playing Cortex, but this is the system we own", and while I find it weird and frustrating, most people seem to really appreciate its breadth.

I can't speak to Conan, but Modiphius' application of 2d20 for Star Trek is bang on stellar.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

alg posted:

this job has it all!

You don’t have any substance abuse problems. Your drinking is specifically “downwards” of social.

https://www.indeedjobs.com/indie-press-revolution/jobs/6ae46592e7b9329204e5

*ADA senses tingling*

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Leperflesh posted:

OK well maybe it's not "retainer" and just a salary then?
https://www.abajournal.com/news/article/disneys_top_lawyer_is_best_paid_general_counsel

They were paying their top lawyer $7M in 2016, the best-paid corporate council in the country, and if I'm reading this right they have like 70 more lawyers too. Employees or on retainer or whatever, the point is they have a big legal budget already spent and dealing with this little bitty lawsuit by some random book authors is an insignificant cost for them.

Counsel positions within a company are employees of the company.

This differs from outside counsel, which a company might keep on retainer and to whom they pay hourly legal fees.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
https://koboldpress.com/hark-news-from-the-warrens/

Amanda Hamon, going from Paizo to Kobold Press to WotC in less than a year.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Meinberg posted:

She Kills Monster is an independent stage play about a woman who, after her family dies, seeks to learn more about her insular little sister by playing through the Dungeons and Dragons adventure she wrote. I say it at the Flea and was blown away.

I haven't seen it, but I read the script. It's solid, heartfelt and authentic.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

CitizenKeen posted:

"Without prejudice" means they're free to refile. Without prejudice often means that a case is missing a key pedantic component and the judge wants to allow it to be refiled, or more likely, a settlement was reached.

Exactly. I would reckon that they reached a settlement, there's an NDA involved, and we'll hear more details about the forthcoming books.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The worst that would have happened is some executive would just sigh and shrug a little as they wrote a check.

I also imagine that whomever in their GC office who has decided that failure to approve work isn't a constructive breach of contract has also gotten a talking to.

(See also Gale Force Nine's suit.)

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Roadie posted:

Pathfinder 2e does relatively well at the CR thing (barring janky stuff in the first adventure books finished before they finalized the core rules) by doing basically the same thing D&D 4e did, where creature level determines the acceptable range for its stats and bonuses to things, rather than the D&D 3.x and 5e 'come up with a monster and then try to eyeball a CR for it'.

13th Age also does CR well with a similar approach. The system also tacks on some other nuances with the monster type and optimal moves.

In the end, it's still a Bull poo poo approximation for new monsters. But I can articulate the bull poo poo better.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Before I back, any red flags from these creators?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soulmuppet/orbital-blues

Edit: this isn't stealth promotion. More, I'm tired of backing stuff, only to later learn that a known CHUD was involved.

Eastmabl fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 13, 2021

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

potatocubed posted:

There was a thing last month (?) where Sinclair and his pals decided to go all in on a much smaller creator, including pushing the rumour that said creator was a Zak S sockpuppet (which they transparently aren't). On the other hand, the person in question was going all-in right back at them, including dropping lists of names into Discord channels with a 'please harass these people' vibe, so it's not like anyone came out of that covered in glory.

Whether that's a red flag or not... I feel is more of a personal decision?

That's not great, but I don't think it scares me away. It's not like backing Dungeons and Delvers only to find out that David Guyll was probably the CHUD behind yourrpgisshit.

potatocubed posted:

loving... tell me about it. As a freelancer and sometime hirer of people in the RPG industry I feel like to protect myself I have to maintain an encyclopaedic list of beefs, grudges, abusers, rapists, racists, misogynists, alt-right sympathisers, and people who I suspect are going to out themselves as one or more of the above eventually.

It's one of the reasons why I am so afraid of using creative collaborators in this industry.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
From second hand chatter from mutual DMs Guild collaborators, Greenwood hasn't changed much with age. (At least regarding being a sentient fistful of red flags.)

Problem is that he's a big fish in that pond, so he's gets a "knock it off" at best.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Deptfordx posted:

Eh. If a 1st level spell can convince someone that you're their best friend, and a 5th level spell (4th for a Bard)can literally dominate peoples minds. I don't see why a 3rd level Bard spell shouldn't allow you to tell completely believable lies.

It's ridiculous, but no more so than other 3.5 magic.

The first time my bard cast Glibness was also the last time my bard cast Glibness.

Rolling a 9 on a d20 and getting a 55 result was bonkers.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Froghammer posted:

There's a reason Bards get access to Glibness at level 7 in 3.5 and level 15 in 5e

And arguably, 5e glibness isn't even in the same ballpark as 3.5e. (Obviously, it's sine apples to oranges, but 5e glibness isn't a middle finger to the truth.)

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
This seems to be a weird alt-right turn from the creator of Stars Without Number.

https://twitter.com/MadBitchEnergy/status/1392275621317861379?s=19

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1395367616298946562?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

https://theop.games/2021/05/monopoly-dungeons-dragons-available-now/
"The Bugbear, Demogorgon, Beholder, and more awaiting you to buy, sell, and trade them"
Monopoly: now with slavery?

Mike Mearls, in the licensing meeting: "BUGBEARS.AREN'T.PEOPLE."