Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

as soon as i saw iida's brother my first thought was "when is iida going to get those arms in some kind of crazy transplant"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

And before anyone asks, the whole 1,000,000% thing wasn't meant to be a literal measure of how much power he was using. It's just a war cry to psyche himself up. That comes straight from the author.

when he says 100%, is that also not literal? those two punches were clearly at different strengths

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Deku isn't a carbon copy of naruto but I can't say he's a terribly unique or distinctive character either

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tokoyami is pretty boring

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Batman has gadgets

i hope that later the league of villians shows up with an anti-aizawa squad that's just armed to the teeth with those bullshit devices the support class makes

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

my favorite part of persona 2 is the part where it's a fairly serious story culminating into learning about the villian's tragic backstory on a mountaintop, only for the whole thing to get interrupted by a "hey what's that sound" and everyone walks outside to watch the sudden, literal mecha-nazi invasion

unfortunately this is about as far as i got before i got too tired of the gameplay to continue

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Deku getting told "stop punching, if you do it again it'll mess your arms up" feels kinda weak because uh, that's basically exactly what he was told last time. But, he did it again, and the actual consequences for it are being pushed forward again. It's a little lame, and defangs the importance of those warnings.

Teenagers making dumb decisions is fine and normal, but a bunch of their peers saying "look, this is a bad idea, and here's many reasons why" and them saying "you're right. It is a bad idea, and I can see that. But I'm going to do it anyway, despite knowing and agreeing that I shouldnt." Makes the "they're just being dumb, normal teenagers" thing fall a little flat.

The pathos in this episode was pretty good though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Conot posted:

It's jumping back a couple of pages of discussion, but to say that Deku's arm injuries have no bearing on the story and no emotional pay-off is kinda short sighted.

It's literally been his arc from the moment Aizawa stopped him during the ball toss, and it'll be his arc for the foreseeable future too, just this episode we had, not just the doctor telling him to stop loving up his arms, but Deku openly bawling his eyes out because he failed to save someone who should have been in his reach but wasn't because he hosed himself up too bad.

I also can't think of any shonen anime that has made this kind of ultimatum on its main character. Sure you have your "main hero can't use his full power because of magical curse/illness/fear of hurting people/etc" arcs but never does someone go up to Luffy and say "hey, your arms are suffering tensile stress from all that rubbery punching, if you do that 2 or 3 more times they're gonna snap off like a Stretch Armstrong put in liquid hydrogen.", that threat is simply never there.

Ultimately Midoriya's arc is about not only his punching loving up his arms, but also about how this impacts his ability to act as a hero and save people, to be a future Symbol of Peace. To call it toothless after the last episode is really bizarre.

when the show states "you have to stop using that ability. no, really, it'll destroy your arms if you do it again" it sets an expectation that midoriya's new challenge is growing into being a hero that doesn't have that get out of jail free card to throw around. it sets up a clear consequence for a clear action, but when he does that for the second time and doesn't get the expected consequence, that consequence kinda stops having meaning? like, yeah, midoriya has scars all over his arms now and has a (mostly offscreen) tough conversation with his mother, but those things are kind of superficial. it's like, a day later and he seems to have full use of his arms back, honestly i'd have been perfectly satisfied with "no, really, you have to sit this next one out because you did the thing we told you not to do. your arms are hosed up, but with a little more time they'll be mostly functional."

ultimately it feels kind of like the threat of midoriya losing his arms isn't real. because, uh, it isn't, obviously:

Mordaedil posted:

I personally can't wait for Deku to headbutt all of the villains as his only form of attack.

but the threat doesn't even really exist to prevent him from loving his arms up again. as it is, we're basically flat out told "he still has another 1 or 2 of these left in him with little consequence anyway, BUT HOO BOY HE BETTER NOT DO MORE THAN THAT." it feels like, well, he isn't actually limited to not using his power like that, we're just kinda told that he is so it's more dramatic when he does it anyway.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 29, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This is a dumb argument, a dumb argument that could also be used to say that All Might's injury and deterioration doesn't actually have consequences or add tension. Your own expectations are the real issue here, the show never said that the next time he overexerted himself would result in specific consequences, it stated something much more vague than that and you read what you wanted into that.

All might's deterioration does have consequence though? He can't use his form as often or as long, and he has a specific weak point now that opponents can exploit. Every time all might gets into a rough fight, he becomes weaker, and as a result he's only been in 1 real fight the whole series.

Every time midoriya shatters his bones, he gets told "stop it" and has a new scar.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

We've never seen actual consequences for All Might's injury, every time he's been on the scene and had to transform he has been able to do so and for long enough to deal with the problem, exactly like how every time Deku has needed to mess up his body he has been able to do so. Both of them have the looming possibility of real consequences moving forward, slowly catching up with them. The real difference is that All Might is the mentor character so you are open to the idea of consequences catching up with him, while Deku is the MC of a shonen series so you dismiss the idea of consequences for him out of hand.

ninjewtsu posted:

honestly i'd have been perfectly satisfied with "no, really, you have to sit this next one out because you did the thing we told you not to do. your arms are hosed up, but with a little more time they'll be mostly functional."

there's possible consequences for deku's actions that aren't "deku is now a quadriplegic." i actually thought they did a pretty good job the first time he wrecked his fingers with the consequence being "i've lost some feeling and articulation in my hand. it's still functional, but if i do that again it'll become a problem." the follow up to that being "well deku, good job putting your arms through The Bone Cruncher, you're good as new for now but you don't have many more of these left in you" is comparatively a pretty weak followup.

the consequences for All Might's injury are that he is physically weaker. it is true that as a secondary character, this being shown in a more vague way is easier to accept than it would be for the MC. such as how All Might didn't show up for the camp because he's unable to keep his muscle form up for long enough to trick everyone into thinking he's still at full power, iirc that's the actual reason he wasn't there and "if All Might was there it'd be easier for them to find us" was a bullshit excuse given to cover up the actual reason. presumably, he didn't show up on the UA press release for similar reasons. yeah, it's kind of more an assumption that the nomu fight feeds into this than it actually being stated, but also All Might is a secondary character who is already pretty limited regardless, the expectations are different. in any case, the fact that we were even told "All Might took on a noticeable, physical toll as a result" already makes it have heavier consequences than deku's injury (we were told "he's fine, but if he keeps doing it then at some point in the future, eventually, he won't be fine anymore")

honestly this isn't some awful, glaring flaw that ruins the show or anything, it's just kind of weird how dismissive everyone is of the idea that the aftermath of deku ripping his arms apart could've been handled better.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i can put a "*as far as i know" if that would make you feel better?

yes, obviously this is a judgement made on what we've seen, and not on what we have not seen yet. this is the anime thread, afterall. i can't say there's really been any foreshadowing i can point to as being reason to suspect there is more to this than there seems.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm hype

can't wait for all might to loving die

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

All might dying immediately after UA just got raked over the coals for allowing children to be endangered would probably topple the hero society the way the LoV wanted

So much of the current society is built off all might being the symbol of peace, and he's about the throw down with the only believable threat to him that exists. Even a mutual kill (obviously not going to happen) would have some pretty ridiculous social ramifications. Until deku's way trained up, a replacement for all might doesn't really exist (sorry endeavor)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i wonder how the fire villian (dabi?) stacks up to endeavor

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

Him being more animated adds to him as a parallel with All Might, I think. I know people in the thread see him as just using Shigaraki for his own means, but I do think he genuinely cares about him, since he said things like "Even if you mess up this time, you can try as many times as you need to get it right."

my take is that All for One is just using shigaraki, but he wants a genuine symbol of evil, not one that'll be swayed by a halfassed speech about friendship or something. so he doesn't use brainwashing or mind control or emotional abuse and manipulation, because unlike endeavor All for One is smart enough to know that if he wants the kid to turn out the way he wants him to, he has to be a caring father figure who raises the boy properly.

i think if you told All for One that a different, perfect Symbol of Evil would pop out of thin air if he murdered shigaraki, he'd do it in a heartbeat, because he cares more about creating something that will hurt all might than he cares about shigaraki himself. but treating shigaraki like he's worthless won't turn shigaraki to his side, All for One acts as an actual, caring father figure to shigaraki because that's the best way to achieve his goal.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

If we're being entirely fair, aren't the ranks less about raw power than popularity, media appeal, incidents resolved, etc.? Like how Aizawa is really strong but deliberately stays out of the limelight.

they're an aggregate of a bunch of factors, which is why endeavor is #2 despite public opinion of him being rather lukewarm. he's devastatingly powerful (obviously not to the extent of all might) and has good crisis management skills on top of that.

i think the rankings probably most reflect how "at ease" the people around them feel when that hero is nearby. endeavor is hurt by having a crummy personality, but he's so competent that i bet civilians see him on the scene and immediately figure the whole thing is going to be taken care of. if eraserhead shows up instead, it might very well be an even more safe situation than if endeavor shows up, but because eraserhead stays out of the spotlight as much as possible, civilians are just going to feel mildly comforted by the fact that some no name hero is on the scene rather than no one at all, and might continue to panic. so, eraserhead has a much lower ranking.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

The way they described her power, I took it to mean she's essentially speeding up the healing process, and not just healing them arbitrarily. That's why she can't really help Deku constantly, his limbs simply wouldn't heal correctly if he kept breaking them like that.

i don't dispute this, but i thought she stopped healing deku because "one day you won't have me as a crutch and you'll get yourself loving killed, idiot"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Didn't she specifically not fully heal his hand as a warning? Like she could've full healed him, but chose to give him a life long reminder of why he shouldn't fight like that instead

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

"i could use my legs instead of my arms" is a fairly disappointing revelation, but seeing bakugo come up with several creative uses for his power (the AP shot was cool to see, especially since i'd initially just assumed that his gross sweat cannon thing would be his ultimate move, the same way reciprico got grandfathered into being leg guy's ultimate move) leaves me hopeful that deku will figure out how to make "i'll do the same thing, but with my legs" into something unique and interesting

i wonder if bakugo is not only focused on improving his own abilities, but also staying aware of everyone else around him at the same time. his AP shot move seems like an adaptation of the advice alien queen got earlier in the episode, like he maybe heard it and thought "i can do the same thing with my power!"

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 15, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I was not thinking in terms of deku getting a super move at all, much more in terms of "I hope deku's new fighting style is more unique than The Same poo poo: Leg Edition." Seeing other characters in the episode use their powers in newer, interesting ways (generally related to super moves, as that's what the episode was about for everyone but deku) leaves me hopeful that whatever action scene deku gets next will also be new and interesting.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

can all for one steal a mutation-type quirk? if all for one stole froppy's quirk, would she turn into a normal human girl?

as i recall, eraserhead's quirk just straight up doesn't work on mutation-type quirks, so i wonder if all for one has any similar limitations

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if you put momo in front of an all you can eat buffet can she slowly poo poo out an entire rocketship over the course of a day

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Episodes was alright, better than the froppy filler episode.

Thought it was a little lame that deku singlehandedly solved the entire mystery pretty much immediately. The approach to the building was cool, but as soon as bakugo got impatient and charged in the other heroes no longer had any real reason to be in the scene.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

He just told some disaster victims to gently caress off and save themselves. If anything his portrayal in this ep was too accurate...I don't think Bakugo is a very good character.

This was actually the correct call in that situation, as the disaster victims themselves noted. Bakugo's attitude kinda stinks but he's a very good hero otherwise. His "mistake" was pretty similar to deku's mistake upon meeting survivors.

Bakugo is very good at recognizing when being brash is actually the correct call. Tbh even in this episode I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't blow up in his face, which it shouldn't because bakugo is actually pretty smart, though it'd have been nice to see him have reasoning for it beyond "the guy is close to the window"

It's a pretty good foil to deku, who's MO is "way overthink things."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Being angry and aggressive makes all other personality traits and development basically invisible I suppose

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

They were too engrossed by the tragic love story and also all staring directly at midnight, with their backs to all might

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Or at the very least, they can't expect someone to just step up and do that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i hope bakugo wins, because i don't think he will and i want to be surprised

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I certainly hope she never went through with what she's saying there, at least

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm anime only and I've been a bakugo fan from the beginning. This episode was really good, I love the way they animated Baku go's mobility. It's actually the one thing he has that deku will never surpass: eventually, deku will hit a point of raw power where it no longer matters really, but he'll never be able to move around as well as bakugo does. All might can't fly, he just jumps really high, once he's in the air his ability to change direction before hitting the ground is pretty limited, but bakugo is capable of some pretty impressive aerial manoeuvres by nature of his quirk. I hope going forward they lean into that a bit more

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Every fight that Midoriya loses makes it seem like he lets the other guy win - literally cheering on his opponent and getting him to awaken his potential with Todoroki and just lying there like a dead fish against Bakugo even though he could have easily thrown him off. Not as satisfied with the resolution to that fight as I thought, I was hoping for a clear winner and not one of them to just give up fighting.

The reason deku didn't throw him off is because bakugo could've exploded his face and killed him, that was the end of the fight. Bakugo did not actually want to kill deku, but they fought to point where he proved that if he really wanted to, he could've killed deku before deku killed him. The fight was already over as soon as bakugo got deku in that position.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

That comes right back to my finding "his only weakness is he's a complete rear end in a top hat all the time" boring though. I guess I've been hoping for more moments like when he was up against All Might in the exam and just couldn't do jack to him.

What about the first time deku beat him

Also meatball guy did beat him, he had to rely on a buddy to save him after

His quirk gives him a lot of power and mobility, which makes him a pretty versatile powerhouse in a fight, and he's deceptively intelligent, but he's not exactly unbeatable. I mean, there was a whole arc where everyone else had to rescue him because he got chumped.

It sounds like you want him to get a satisfying beat down, which I guess hasn't happened since deku vs bakugo r1, but this fight I thought deku put up more than a good fight. Bakugo was controlling the fight until deku went to 8%, at which point deku controlled the fight until bakugo pulled a reversal on him. Both of them got a lot of good punches in.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean if 36 people are trying to gun me down with their own automatic weapons i'm not so sure on that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

There's a weird separation between "things we're explicitly shown about hero society" and "hero society is a little messed up and incubates it's own villians"

Like, the argument could be made that increasing the provisional license drop rate to 90% is part of the villian creation ecosystem. But is the show actually presenting it as such? Do we see burned would-be heroes begin to harbor resentment because of it? If anything, we're shown that failing it is a good learning opportunity, and the system that exists (or at least this part of the system) is cool and good and the smart license examiners have a well thought out plan. It seems like reading into events to a degree the show doesn't really intend to me.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 27, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Anyways weren't the dropouts told "you can try again in a couple months and we're going to provide focused classes to you to help you shore up yur shortcomings in the meantime, so at the end you'll come out as even better heroes than you would've been before?"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It would take an awful lot to redeem endeavor for the repeated rape and abuse of his spouse, and also the abuse of his child

I like endeavor and hope he's a character that shows up again, but redemption for him is a little eyebrow raising

I guess it's not worse than actual nazis being punched into friendship or whatever in other anime though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

He's the guy that copies powers right? I want to see him in more combat situations

I want to see most characters in more combat situations

Mha has good fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Patchwork blue fire guy I find mildly intriguing because he seems to be presented as one of the most powerful of the villain group and he hasn't really gotten much of a fight in yet, so I'm waiting to see how his power measures up to shoto/endeavour's and if there's any appreciable difference between them

But mostly I just remember him because he has a pretty distinctive design