Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The Door Frame posted:

It's always weird when you find out that someone who you respect is a truther and believes that the moon landings were fake

poo poo not even that far a reach but when you find out that someone you respect and believe is a good person and has lovely opinions on the way the world is. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

The problem with establishing the owners is that they're all toolbags. So much bragging about street racing. So much doing this to "prove" whatever (prove my car's the best, prove to my kids I can do this, prove to my dead buddy up in heaven, prove girls can drive too).

They also change the rules with no explanation; in episode 1, the guy running the race said a false start means a re-race. In episode 3, he said a false start is a DQ... and then the supercar & the fastest of the sleepers false-started, disqualifying themselves. I think Netflix decides who they want to win (or at least, who they want to lose) and set up the competition based on that, either by making entrants submit 1/4 mile times and grouping based on that, or by just doing multiple runs until they get the winner they want.

The winner is almost always the least douchey one. There have been two supercar drivers who weren't tremendous shitheads, and they both won: a photographer who borrowed the car from a client, and an older woman who does a lot of racing (I called that she'd win 30 seconds into her first appearance on the episode). The first ep was won by a guy in a wheelchair with a heartwarming story.

Also in one of the episodes, one racer shows up with his car on a trailer, everybody talks like he's trying to keep it extra secret... but no, turns out he just couldn't get it running because it had a burned out ECU. Why the gently caress would you bother trailering your poo poo all the way from LA to Barstow if you know for a fact you can't race? There's a lot of poo poo that stinks of Netflix interfering.

Watching the trailer for it I decided it looked too fake to be worth watching. Turns out I was right.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

"Oi oi, get ya tits ooooout for tha lads!"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Just yesterday I was wondering when the last 'big' artist/movie song was and I awake to find that. Weird.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Any UK guys going to Japfest on Sunday?

I had intended to spend the day welding the rotbox but it seems someone bought a ticket for me :argh:

Will likely be rolling down in a friend's S2000 with the roof down like a couple of party boys.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Cool, I'm just nailing the Daihatsu's interior back together to take that, will be with the Kei Cars In The Park lot.

I'll attempt to find it, keis are always the more interesting side of things at Japfest.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Cool, I'm just nailing the Daihatsu's interior back together to take that, will be with the Kei Cars In The Park lot.

Change of plan, I get to stay home and weld all day. :dance:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Japfest was ok. I think they charge a bit much for entry, and while there was a good number of cars, a lot seem to be a variation on the theme of "lower too far on stretched tyres, then rev it up while parked and blowing vape clouds out the window".

Same as last year then!

My friend sent me a video of tiny cars because I love tiny cars and she was walking along narrating excitedly and wandered right past you chatting to someone looking into your engine bay to get to a cutie pie Beat :3:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I know the guy who owns the Acty, it was furnished with incredibly period accessories like a loving Head holdall and an empty bottle of Lucozade that was a full on timewarp. Same guy owns an incredibly cool Nissan Elgrand, it has a fully custom interior and is more comfortable than your living room.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

slidebite posted:

Ronal bears

Same dude actually had some, they're 4 bolt though and the big Elgrand is 5 bolt. :(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

No, they just take up 6' of a lane and treat red lights like a suggestion.

gently caress cyclists.

Look at this dude mad on the internet.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Strangely it's actually the 4th anniversary of the time a gentleman decided he could dive into a 90 degree corner in his car and outbrake/outmanouvre a bike. Turns out physics dictates that no, no you can't. After I'd ricocheted off his passenger door and picked myself up off the street he was annoyed because I had now made him late for work...

Drivers are as lovely as cyclists sometimes, all humans are capable of being absolute morons at the best of times. But getting mad because a person is cycling on the road is loving stupid. My right knee clicks now, dude never even got so much as a telling off despite there being multiple witnesses. Don't be a oval office driver, listen to some chill-rear end music in your deathbox before you hurt someone. If a cyclist goes out of their way to ride a red, gently caress 'em, if they get merked then it's their own fault. Sitting in your car seething about it won't make any difference so why even bother?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

spog posted:

Then I reread and realised that you were talking about your Taekwondo pyjamas. Now I disagree with you: riding down the street in those is awesome (as long as you aren't Steven Segal fat). Bonus points for swapping the helmet for a headband.

Agreed, if I saw a dude riding a bike wearing martial arts poo poo it'd make my day.

InitialDave posted:

Social media is fine. lovely people are cancer. Cut them out.

And this all day. Avoid those who seek out drama.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

Facebook was a mistake, bring back MySpace.

...considering Myspace was the start of an incredible music adventure for me, I'm not completely against this.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

Roger that. Headed out tonight for salsa dancing.

With her? It's a done deal then unless you've got 2 left feet...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tomarse posted:

I’m on a last minute solo vacation to a large city In a foreign country.

This Is the second time I have done this and I am now at 100% success rate of meeting some locals, making friends and having an awesome night out.

I’ve also been on vacation with groups of existing friends/SO’s a few times over the last few years. Going solo and making new friends beats it every time!

I went to Paris alone years ago to see a gig. I'd scored a few tickets so put up that I had spares on the artist's facebook page, met up with a few people and ended up having a really cool night out with strangers which ended up with saving an American lady who'd managed to get herself locked in the subway system somehow... :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tomarse posted:

There’s a poster on the wall here for the Rock en Seine festival saying Justice, Die Antword and Carpenter Brut in that order.

Unfortunately it appears that they are all on different days rather than being on the same days bill, and the rest of the bands don’t look that good :(

Man Justice and Brut would be amazing to see. Speaking of, I was in Paris to see a guy called Danger whose stuff you may dig if you like Brut. He started off really electro synth, arpeggio galore (which was boss) and slowly moved into more moody, synthy soundtrack stuff with his recent (last year) album Taiko being a glittery neon-soaked bit of greatness.

This is off the album (which I waited nigh on 10 years for) and is a bit Ghost in the Shell...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrLxoVHBF9o

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

After seeing Chappie, anything that keeps Die Antwoord 400 miles away would definitely be a good thing.

Is this the point where I say that Ninja got super upset with me commenting that a CGI robot was a better actor than him on instagram to the point where he scrolled back through my photos to find the single shot of me to try and make fun of me? He seemed really upset by the comment, what was funnier was that he said he was really busy and didn't have time to deal with worms and then spent like 10 minutes scrolling through gently caress knows how many photos...

Dickbag. Still my favourite celebrity interaction on social media.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tide posted:

Why the gently caress does a refrigerator need wifi?

...so it can order things when you run out (but also sell your purchasing habit info to supermarkets and such).

gently caress 'smart' products forever.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

As silly as religious edicts generally are, it's often interesting to see the workarounds and adaptations that come into play.

IIRC McDonald's filet o'fish was the idea of some enterprising bugger with a franchise in a Catholic area.

I believe the church stated Capybara was a fish due to missionaries in the amazon dying of hunger due to their inability to catch enough to eat. Same with beavers in North America apparently, due to both animals spending most of their time in water that was good enough reason to classify them as fish.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I am pretty bearded, some ladies REALLY go for it, others actively hate it. Had some rude bitch talk about beards being dirty within earshot, despite the fact mine is immaculately maintained and washed erryday. My favourite interactions with people have been guys in pubs where you've sat on the same table as them. Many times when their girlfriend/wife steps off to the loo do you get the compliments then questions about it, it's pretty funny. "...so, about your beard..."

You have to get through the 3 week growth itches and you're sound after that. Fairly sure there's a photo of my face in the beard thread still. I grew it because I started greying and keeping it stubbly just looked like I hacked chunks out of it and bald in places. So now I have a full beard with grey patches in it instead which is far better looking (in my opinion but that's the only opinion that matters).

Hello AI.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It's not as awful as other Toyotas but it still looks decidedly meh.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I've just noticed the smug face the back end has...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

spog posted:

Not quite as bad as Honda's new Type R

I could sit here and pick apart this design and tell everyone why it's objectively awful. Instead I'll just say looks wise I'd rather own virtually anything else ever made, it's that bad.

*edit: it gives me this sort of vibe, chavs throwing poo poo at a car simply because they can.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 16, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tide posted:

Beginning of the year, I weighed 242 lbs (ballooned up after quitting smoking). This morning, I weighed 168 lbs.

That's a pretty loving solid amount of weight to lose my dude, nice work. Don't cut out poo poo you like though, that's hellish, just really make sure to watch the amount of nice stuff you're putting in your facehole. I eat whatever, just not a lot of it...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cage posted:

Ketoers always come off so culty to me. You really watch two 1hr30min documentaries regularly?

Everyone I've ever known to do a keto diet has had breath like something has died covered in poo poo in their mouth.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Glad it's working for you but the reason most diets fail is

...people reach a target weight and then continue eating like they did prior to the diet. It's weird people don't realise it's a thing that needs to be a permanent change rather than a thing you do temporarily in order to hit a specific number or size.

Tide posted:

The target is exactly what I didn't set. I didn't set a weight to reach that I considered a success. It was simply "eat this don't eat that and get exercise, the rest will take care of itself". Whatever I weigh is whatever I weigh. I didn't live and die by the scales. Didn't even step on them.

:hfive:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

On BBC1 right now: Royal Wedding

On BBC2 right now: Tron Legacy

...I know which I've got cranked up.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

lmao annoying lady next to me at work insists that boiling chicken is the only way she knows how to cook chicken :wtf:

Imagine going to her house for dinner. Imagine what other creative ways she has for making food inedible... This is her life. How sad is that?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

...also in a war of cars vs bicycles, cars usually win because cyclists are almost always assholes. You've heard of stories where a driver murders a cyclist, and as long as the driver is doe-eyed they get off with, at most, a fine.

For some reason having a driver's license is pretty much also a license to kill another human with your car. It's honestly incredible the amount of contempt your average human being has for a cyclist while they're driving a car... I mean we've had perfect examples of it in here where some of our posters just decide to openly talk about 'death to all cyclists' all because one went through a red light in front of them.

I'm sorry you're hurt dude and I'm also sorry your country is so loving broken that healthcare still isn't a thing for everyone. If it makes you feel any better I nearly got my life ended by a Prius on my way to work yesterday, I tootle on the cycle paths round here and hit the crossing button. Light goes red, I wait a second because drivers don't like to stop sometimes and then roll out. At the last possible second I hear an engine still spinning away, look over and manage to brake and turn enough to avoid getting my front wheel taken out from under me. ...but y'know, all cyclists are inherently evil and must be destroyed etc etc.

You should totally claim for that though, gently caress the cops.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

The problem is, people are stupid. They don't understand that cyclists are just road users, they have this idea that they're some kind of wheeled pedestrian interloper who shouldn't be on the road.

But that's very similar to the attitude cyclists take that I think is at the root of many issues - they don't think like vehicles.

Loads of drivers need to get their head out their arse and accept other road users having the right to be there.

Loads of cyclists need to accept the rules apply to them, and doing things like blatantly running reds will get you killed. I'm not particularly sympathetic when they do and it does.

It's entirely possible to find the middle ground: Everyone has equal right to use the road, equal responsibility to obey the rules, and is equally capable of being a loving clown.

What really matters is the consequences of loving up. A car driver has much greater chance of harming others, so it's right that we be more concerned with their actions. But a cyclist who gets themselves killed by being an idiot should not be blamed on anyone except themselves.

Yup, I'm in agreement particularly about cyclists not thinking like drivers. Like I said I cycle to work every day and there's only maybe 30% of it I do on road as there's a park and cycle paths for the rest of it, those road sections are places I can go fast enough not to get in the way. I see cyclists on the road doing about 10mph on a 40mph road with a line of cars behind them and I myself get annoyed by it as I'm just pootling past on the designated cycle path which has been lovingly provided.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm really lucky in that a fair amount of my commute is cycle pathable. I read something about Holland yesterday where this one town has banned cars from anywhere but the outskirts and I want to go there just to see what it's like.

Oh and this popped up for me today too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-devon-44200961/woman-drives-car-through-half-marathon-in-plymouth

quote:

A woman drove her car into the path of runners at the Plymouth Half Marathon, saying she had a workshop to get to.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tomarse posted:

Tonight I went to my local small metal/indie gig venue where they were doing a 'gig360' night. Instead of putting the bands on the stage you close the stage curtains and have them instead play in the middle of the room.
That was so much more fun than a normal gig. Usually a Tuesday night gig would be pretty quiet. Definitely isn't when you set it up like that :) Got to try and organise a 360 camera for the next one :)

Ha, my friend's band did a thing where for a few songs they'd unload the drummer's kit from the stage to the middle of the crowd. It gets pretty loving hectic :black101:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tomarse posted:

Yeah, I love bands that do this. Always makes it more fun :)

I'm not sure if its my musical tastes or my local small venues but I can't recall going to a gig which didn't involve most of the band playing off the stage for a lot of the time anyway. The standard mic cable they use in this place will reach out into the smoking area out back or into the road outside the front door :black101:

One friend's band the lead singer bought himself a wireless mic purely so he could roam the crowd. One evening they were playing some joint with a mezzanine and he waltzed upstairs purely to jump into the crowd. Another band Conjurer (who are loving sickkkkkk https://conjureruk.bandcamp.com/album/i ) my friend played bass for until he had other band commitments. He used to play with his top off, body covered fully with a Japanese suit of tattoos. He used to jump off the stage and patrol the front row, scaring the crowd backwards... Dude is intense when he plays. Anyway you should check them out, they're dope and heavy as.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Anime talk:

Vast majority of it is derivative trash, reworks of stuff that went before, far too much emphasis on panty shots of teen girls and such. There's just so much crap to wade through to find something decent. Every nerd was screaming about Attack on Titan being amazing so I thought that maybe there was something worth watching and tried it myself. I got through the entire series in a few days, 25 episodes. In the end (or rather about 5 episodes in) I was disappointed, the premise was loving fantastic, a civilisation trapped behind walls fighting off human-eating giants? Cool. The actual show was your usual manga-anime translation, just so much time wasted on stereotypical characters doing gently caress all. I think the total run time for the action in all 25 episodes was something like 20 minutes. The rest was your whiny teen protagonist being a typical anime whiny teen protagonist, the overly long lovely intro song and recaps of previous episodes one of which I counted as something like 8 minutes long!

Last I tried was One Punch Man which was a fun little subversion of the usual shite ...which then introduces characters which are your usual shite. Saitama = fun, pisstake of anime character traditions. Genos = boring, typical anime crap. I think I got about 10 episodes in before it started to wear a little thin on me, though I admit some of the baddies were loving brilliant, the dude that wanted to be a bosozoku car is forever in my heart despite him getting 30 seconds of screen time.

I grew up watching anime as a kid so all the tropes are just so loving tedious. I have a fondness for the early stuff because back then they weren't tropes so weren't boring. On occasion something good pops up but it's still such a lovely slog to get to it. I enjoyed the daftness that is Space Dandy as it's not afraid to take the piss out of itself or the characters but I've seen little else of note. I'm not saying don't suggest something if you want to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M93GDg2qPQM

I'm disappointed the DVD version of Akira on release came with a re-dubbed soundtrack, Leonardo from the Turtles is my Kaneda god drat it. :colbert:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 23, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

(though Space Dandy leans a little too hard into the anime tropes)

A little, though it has charm and heart which made it more enjoyable than virtually anything else I'd seen. :3:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

someone gave me one of those plastic pointy fingers at the end of a stick at the office and there is now literally no difference between me and an 8 year old right now.

My friend uses one of those (with an LED tip) to prod at people's arch gap at car shows. He's a dick but it's pretty funny.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

We watched Thor ragnorak last night, it had my wife and I in stitches.

It's the best Marvel film to date, it understands that the concept of superheroes is inherently silly and runs with it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Nah, Infintiy War and Winter Solider beats it in goodness personally. But it is still pretty loving good/great and it seems like it's getting better regarded as time goes on - once you get past how hysterically funny it is..... it's actually a pretty solid movie that does a hell of a lot right with story, visuals etc.

Fuckign amazing that there hasnt been a genuinely bad film in the MCU and a lot of very good ones

I've not seen Infinity War but Winter Soldier was a slog and a half with little to set it apart from any other Marvel flick. I know they need continuity but I'd struggle to tell Avengers 1, 2, Winter Soldier apart from each other.

Also bikechat; Shimano is bringing back a double chainring setup for MTB in 2019 because like always they've sold you a fad with a single ring. You goobers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

DJ Commie posted:

I actually looked up the NHS dental care and it isn't bad at all. 3 Bands at £21.60, £59.10 and £256.50. based on increasing workload and severity. I don't see no $15,000 Invisalign or $5000 quintuple root canal with bonus sexual assault.

Note that the £256.50 band is the top end and can cover several sessions of treatment. I needed a minor filling in one, root canal in another and obviously a crown and it was all covered under the one price. NHS ftw.

• Locked thread