Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Spent the weekend at GF's (was supposed to just be an overnight trip, but you know how that goes).

Discovered her cats can be serious dicks when she's not around (she goes to work at 4:30am, I don't wake up until ~10-11am). Also, they're in the bedroom when she's not home, due to them liking to chew on poo poo.

One cat decided to sing the song of her people while balancing herself on the top of the toilet (thus, slamming the porcelain lid back and forth) in the attached bathroom. The other kept jumping on my shoulders when I'd get up to see why his sister was yodeling. :sigh: I'm used to him doing that now and then, but he normally gets the idea of "hey, get the gently caress off of me" when you pick him up from your shoulders and put him back down. Nah, he jumped back up 3 times. :fuckoff:

Yodelcat seems to have serious separation anxiety. Her brother is just a dick.

Not sure why these cats are so ill-mannered - her other cats have always been well behaved. She's had this pair since they were ~3 months old.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, is it weird to cut drywall and insulate the back of it to put over attic entrances? House has 2, both covered with paper thin board that just loving radiates heat into the rooms (bathroom and a closet). My only idea was to cut the drywall to fit, and add some sort of sticky insulation to the back just to cut down on thermal losses.

I've lived in several houses like had exactly that. I've seen them with insulation added to the back, it just makes it a little more difficult to push the cover out of the way (since the opening is usually framed in).

Even the houses I've been in with pull-down stairs didn't have them insulated.

angryrobots posted:

It could always be worse.

So that's how they make replacement Lucas smoke.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So in H-Mart last week, GF mentioned this is supposed to be really spicy, and that there's a lot of challenges on YouTube with people that can't handle it. So of course I said I had to have it.

It's pretty loving tasty! Definitely has a lot of fire, but I want to pick up the "2X" version now. Found some of the videos of people crying while eating this one and had a pretty good chuckle.

Elmnt80 posted:

Cats are sometimes insanely resilient assholes. My cat growing up was a tiny little thing, definately the runt of her litter. You'd worry about her getting in a fight with anything, even though she was a vicious ball of hate when provoked. She disappeared in an area surrounded by several busy roadways and we wrote her off after a month of searching. She managed to survive a texas winter, spring and summer before showing back up to the house and meowing to be let in like she always did. She was alot thinner and needed several mats cut out of her fur, but overall healthy. Loved that cuddly rear end in a top hat.

The Oatmeal did a comic about a pretty tough bastard of a cat.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 3, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You guys ever get too close to a (literal) crow's nest?

Valet and bartender at the restaurant I was picking up from thought it was pretty drat funny when I got dive bombed. :argh: Fuckers tried to get a piece of my hair, thankfully it was tied back (they caught it ahead of the hair band, so I just felt the tug instead of them actually yanking any out). I don't think I've run that fast in at least 5 years.

Crows can eat a bag of dicks. Bartender said I was the 4th one they'd gone after that day; valet said he'd seen more, but they hadn't made physical contact with anyone until me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I need to vent.

A close friend of mine has had on-again, off-again drug problems, has done a little time over them in county, but has a drat good job with a major bank. I've done my share of drugs (possibly enough for the entire population of mainland China), but all I do now is a little :420: (and even that's rare). Last night he called me in a panic, sounding very not sober, and asking me if he's going to live. I asked him what he was on. Ketamine. Tell him to try to put on some music, take some deep breaths, he's just on the verge of a K-hole, and I'll be over ASAP.

I get there, and.... he looks like absolute poo poo. He looks like he hasn't shaved in a couple of weeks (very unusual for him, as he works for a large bank and has to be well groomed), he's pale, really shaky, dropped some weight (not a big guy to begin with), etc. He's come down a bit by then and is somewhat coherent. We're talking, and I see a goddamned mountain of the poo poo on a plate. I don't mean enough for a couple of lines. I mean enough to plunge everyone at a large party into a deep, dark k-hole, repeatedly and painfully, without lube. I'd ballpark an ounce or so, if I had to guess.

Turns out he hasn't been to work in a couple of weeks. :cripes: He also had an ER visit a few days ago for what sounded like a panic attack, but his bloodwork showed a lot of bad poo poo (liver and kidney issues). I go to the bathroom for a minute, come back out, and find him standing there a bit dazed... with a straw in his hand and a bit of powder on his nostril. poo poo, did he really rail enough to go into a hole that quick? Usually it takes several minutes to start kicking in, unless you do a line large enough to knock an elephant on its rear end. Cue him eventually falling down (caught him). Great, he's in a hole again. A deep one. After about 45 minutes, starts mumbling, asking if he's going to live through this. A K hole doesn't usually last that long unless you've done a ton. He finally sobers up enough to somewhat walk. I walk him to his bedroom, tell him to get some sleep, I go try to take a nap on the couch.

I wake up a bit later to a *SNIFFFFFFFFFFF*, look up, and... well yeah, you know where this is going. gently caress.

I've seen addiction up close and personal. I've had my own battles with addiction. I've lost a lot of friends to drugs over the years. I'm pretty sure I was looking death in the eye.

I've asked some mutual friends to keep an eye on him, and I've also spoken to his mom (who, being a mother, had already figured out he had relapsed on something, as he hadn't made much sense on the phone lately); I couldn't handle being around the situation any longer (especially after being awake nearly 24 hours; he called when I was about to go to bed, I finally left about an hour ago). They're going to be checking in on him, I'm going to be checking in on him. Hopefully he comes to his senses before he kills himself. Hopefully one of us knocks enough sense into him to quit.

I'm gonna go sit in the corner and freak out a bit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

iwentdoodie posted:

Why the gently caress can't I buy a goddamn 6 pack at 9pm? No, instead I had to find a goddamn bar that was actually open on a loving Sunday and thank God it was a loving brewery so I could carry out a crowler.

Wait, WHAT? I thought Texas was bad - on Sundays, you can't buy beer until noon, and no liquor at all. The rest of the week, alcohol sales are 7am-midnight (Sat is 7am-1am). Bars can still operate 7 days a week, but last call is generally 1:45am, they can't serve after 2am, and all drinks must be consumed or poured out before 2:15am ("cups off the table").

Also, car dealerships have to close for one weekend day a week - either Saturday or Sunday. Carmax tried to get around that, but lost.

We have some other weird restrictions. Some counties are dry, some cities are dry, some cities are semi-wet for retail (beer/wine only), sometimes only parts of cities are wet (for years, the city of Dallas was dry for retail sales north of I-635). There's a shitload of "private clubs" in Texas where they swipe your ID on a credit card style machine that prints up a "membership form" that you sign before you can order alcohol. https://studybreaks.com/culture/texas-alcohol-laws-cant-live-with-em-pass-the-beer-nuts/ breaks it down pretty well.

Then you have some oddball places that got grandfathered. There's an old drive-in where you can order a burger and a beer to your car. Normally that's an open container violation, even if you're sitting in a parking lot (and possibly a DUI, depending on the cop - people have been popped for DUI when sleeping in their car just for having the keys within reach of them). That place used to be awesome, then the owner died and the sons took over. When pops Keller was around, there were always awesome cars and motorcycles there, daily, and it was loving packed. They officially banned motorcycles, unofficially classic cars are banned too if it looks like you may be congregating with others in the (MASSIVE) parking lot.

Texas is weird.

Queen Combat posted:

Didn't Subaru have an "official" stop-leak for the EJ25?

GM did for the Northstar; it's standard practice to throw it into any Northstar cooling system after doing the head gaskets (they're not an if, they're a when on the Northstar, much like Subarus). They're relabeled Barr's Stop Leak tablets.

nice. About time.

Pretty good chance I'm seeing A Perfect Circle in October. :swoon:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 7, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nm posted:

Ground Kontrol was great, particularly as they had a few free play machines when I was there.

Not barcades, but for classic games, the pinball hall of fame is literally the only good gaming in vegas (I hate gambling). There was a good classic arcade is Astoria, OR, but apparently they went under last year.

Also, gently caress pollen. I want to rip my eyes out of my sockets and wash all the pollen out. Fuuuuuuuck. Also, my Kleenex budget is huge.

This place is pretty awesome. :10bux: to get in, all you can play. 18+ after 9pm weekdays, 21+ after 9pm Fri/Sat (city laws, as they have a bar).

As the name implies, everything is set to freeplay. They take pretty good care of their stuff too.

We have Barcadia here, but they didn't have that many games the last time I was there (aside from skeeball). The game side of the one in Dallas seemed more like a background than anything, though they do have a life size Jenga (which is cool as poo poo). There's another bar I used to check out occasionally that had several pinball machines, but the last couple of times I was there, they were unplugged. Staff told me they were having trouble finding anyone to maintain them (seeing as Barcadia and Free-Play have pinball machines, along with a few bowling alleys, there's obviously someone that maintains them locally - betting they just don't want to pay for it - cool bar otherwise though).

nm, wanna go halfsies on a pallet truckload warehouse of Kleenex? Allergies are kicking my rear end harder than ever this year.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tomarse posted:

I have never been a massive Tool or APC fan but I love the new APC album.

I only started listening to it at first because a song got into my discover playslist on Spotify last week and it has animated art on Spotify and I'd never seen that before.

I've always been a fan of Tool. Massive tool, on the other hand, does tend to run me off. So does too little tool. But when you get just the right mix of Tool, everything in Arizona Bay is perfect. I'll even take swimming lessons before mom takes it all away.

edit: goddamnit, new page, this makes even less sense without quotes. Not that Tool lyrics, or embedding them into posts, make much sense anyway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 7, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ExplodingSims posted:

In other news, Holy poo poo, humans were not meant to live in the desert. :derp:

Human that grew up in the desert checking in. I'll happily take the desert over a tropical or subtropical climate. At least it's a dry heat, where sweating actually does something.

Randomness, how common are swamp coolers these days out there? I never lived in a home with real a/c until I was 14, everywhere else had swamp coolers. Of all the people I stay in touch with in my home town, all but 1 still lives with swamp coolers.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

I live on the outskirts of Phoenix, and my A/C handles even 120 degree days without any problem, other than electricity consumption, which can be extreme when an A/C unit is running nearly full time. Luckily I have a solar system that over the course of the year builds up more than enough peak credits to offset the daytime use and I only really get larger electric bills in the summer due to off-peak use since it will still be 90+ at night for a good bit of our summers. I keep the inside temp at 77 degrees most of the time.

Dallas doesn't hit 120, but we do get close to 110, and my AC has no problem keeping it at 70 inside.

I like it cool, and you guys have heard me talk about my weird rear end electric plan before. I have a few days to gobble up 200 kWh (otherwise my bill will be well north of $100 instead of $45). It's been hitting 90 a bit, seems like a good time to crank the ac down to 65, turn on space heaters, and do a ton of laundry. :v:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Hmm, I wonder if some of you younger guys are just so used to having FB that using any other mode of communication seems "harder" for some silly reason. I tried FB for a few months then cut it off because it was unnecessary clutter I didn't need. Up until FB came along I kept in touch with the people I wanted to just fine, and to me texting has made it way easier than any social media has. Now i have group texts with my good friends and it can't get any easier than that imo.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a minimalist so that may have a lot to do with it as well, but

I preferred to use AIM to stay in touch, up until AOL finally shut it down. So yeah... Facebook Messenger sees a lot of use, but I don't use Facebook much outside of glancing at the AI group now and then.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Craft beer means you're paying 10-20x as much to get a buzz. :argh: Though at least good craft beer tends to have a higher ABV % than High Life.

LloydDobler posted:

On the other hand, everything I read said no kids in the front until they're at least 4'9" or over 90 lbs which is when they can come out of a booster. This is usually around age 8 to 10. Ironically my daughter didn't hit 4'9 until she was like 13 and even now at almost 16 still doesn't weigh 90 lb. She was in a booster well into junior high, which sucked for her.

I have a friend who's 4'9... and almost 40. She still sits on a (old as dirt, since they don't really exist much anymore) phone book to drive. :v: I'm not that tall myself (5'7), but every time I see her, I piss her off by using her head as an armrest (hey I've known her since we were 13, I can get away with that).

Another friend's daughter is almost 16, and.... 4'8 and about 85 lbs. Wonder if drivers ed will make her provide a booster seat. :haw: (said friend is also vertically challenged at about 5', but she didn't reach her full height until she was 19 or 20.. I didn't reach mine until 18.. said friend also drives a 6MT BRZ, it's kinda hilarious watching her try to see over the dash compared to her old ~2015 Chrysler 300 couch, but she's very much a "RWD OR DEATH" kinda person).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 11, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Honey Jack Daniels is downright tasty, and I'm not a liquor guy at all.

To give an idea of my (terrible) taste in beer.... my beer of choice is bud light platinum. :barf: It's my preference because it's the highest ABV (6%) easily available at its price point, though, and it's a lot less offensive than regular Budweiser. My favorite is a regional tripel (Real Ale Devil's Backbone), but it leaves one hell of a nasty hangover if you kill a 6 pack by itself. But a 6 pack at Kroger is 30 cents more than Bud Light Platinum, and packs a much stronger punch (8.1% vs 6%). Just... have to guzzle a gallon of water before I go to bed if I drink that.

InitialDave posted:

Johnnie Walker Double Black is great value at Costco if you like smokiness.

Look at this guy who doesn't have to go to a dedicated liquor store to buy hard liquor. :allears::hf::sigh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So this is killing me, but.... I may have to rehome my cat when I move. :cry:

GF has 2 cats already. They're brother and sister, and have been together since birth, so it wouldn't be fair to separate them. They're also barely 3 yrs old, while my cat is 8 1/2 - her cats are much more active (... and to be honest, they're assholes). Some of you remember my cat came to me via an AI member. He doesn't do that well with other cats, but does great with dogs.

I'm hoping I can leave him with my parents - they've since adopted another cat (who is a total alpha bitch), but my cat does really well with their dog - the first time they met, my cat hopped into his crate and made biscuits on his neck (which kinda freaked out the dog a bit, he was used to my old cat... who would always hiss and bop him on the nose when he got close). Leaving him with my parents will make sure I can see him whenever I visit (probably monthly). Stepdad's being a bit of a dick about the idea, mom's open to it, her cat is being her usual :catstare: bitch self when questioned about this, dog just flops over and goes back to sleep when asked.

Also, 3 cats in ~850 sq ft would be really cramped. Especially with 2 young and 1 old. I think it's better for him to leave him with someone I trust, instead of dragging him 200 miles away and trying to introduce him to 2 very alpha cats that have already established their territory (GF moves into her new place in 2 weeks, I'll be moving in August). Pet rent is insane at the new place, and they have a 2 pet limit anyway.

This sucks. :sigh:

I'm still a bit confused about my switch - I'm still very much on the gay side overall, I just happened to find a female I'm attracted to (and it just so happens to be someone I've known since I was 13 or 14...). I consider myself a solid 5 on the Kinsey scale, and to be honest, I don't know if this will last more than a year or two because of that (I hope it does, of course). But it's still nice to find someone that can tolerate my level of crazy, even if they're missing the physical parts I prefer. And to be totally honest, well, I'm almost 40, with only 1 long term relationship in my past. She's only had 1 long term relationship as well, so the bar is a bit... low for both of us.

Seminal Flu posted:

I like a good ABV horserace, I'll check out Devil's Backbone.

I like Bud Light Platinum, but it's truly not beer, I'm convinced it's Zima. There's no real taste to it, but it's an absolutely reasonable beverage. At a nice 7.3%ABV, my fridge is running out of Molson XXX right now. I like the flavor and it's got a good punch. My other beverage-drinking-not-real-beer is the aforementioned High Life. It's unironically a good beverage.

If you can get it there, it's pretty tasty IMO (I thought it was a Texas-only beer though).

fake edit: okay, looks like there's a Devil's Backbone brewing company. This is not from them; this is from Real Ale, which is only distributed in Texas (and based in Blanco, TX).

BLP is like drinking bread. It has so much yeast. But it does the trick.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 11, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

... ouch.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:laffo: Oh don't worry, she's already offered to peg me. :v:

iwentdoodie posted:

Plus everybody has a butt. And maybe she's like a hyena!

I'm... more of a bottom. :colbert:

I have rediscovered a rather major issue, though. I've been, uh, deflating at random. This was starting to happen occasionally with an ex years go, but it's a lot more consistent now (even if it's just my 5 brothers). I'm sure a lot of it is the whole "oh gently caress I'm with a female WHAT DO I DO" bit, but when it's just me and knucklebabies, I shouldn't be running into the same issue. It's particularly embarrassing when you're in the middle of sexytime, getting damned close, and Little DIckie decides to retreat.

Guess it's time to talk to my dr about Cialis or Viagra.

e: also, we're pretty drat comfortable with each other. met at 13 or 14, dated at 18 for awhile, stayed in touch this whole time, fooled around twice in our 20s, and still hung out now and then when I was in town. We're no strangers to each other, or each other's bodies. Key difference is back then, all it took was a gust of wind to make little STR go boing. Or a wink. Or a hug. Hell, even a handshake. These days he just kinda lays limp until there's a lot of stimulation. :flaccid:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 11, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geoj posted:

If you want to try an OTC solution first try downing 4-5 grams of l-arginine about 20-30 minutes before getting busy. Most drug stores carry it in the supplements section, and if it works you can get it from Amazon for about $0.08/gram in tablets and about half of that powdered.

That's cool, had no idea about that (I've seen it, but had no idea what it was for). I'll check it out.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nm posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^
That's actually a thing that's been around forever. It keeps the light from clicking on when you open the fridge because apparently G-d doesn't want you to do that. For fun, google "sabbath elevators."

There's two parts of Dallas (the city, not the county) that's orthodox Jews.

Making deliveries in a Sabbath elevator is great.. if you're only going up 1 or 2 floors. :sigh: It gets old in a hurry if you're going much further.

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's one of these in Tempe and I never knew it was there until an article ran about it. The only specific part of it I've ever seen is a line over the 101 southbound offramp onto Warner.

We have two eruvs in Dallas (see my above link)

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Fun fact: all ovens have a mode for observant Jews called "on".

... Please forgive me.

:catstare:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

What the gently caress Hulu? Every time I ignore it for a bit (leaving it as background noise), it always winds up going to...

Golden Girls.

I never liked the show, never watched it on Hulu, but it always goes to Golden Girls when it runs out of episodes of, say, Archer. :argh:

Larrymer posted:

I don't drink coffee and never have. My friends all thought this would change with a newborn, and I'm still staying awake. Mostly.

I used to love coffee, but generally only drank it at work when I worked in offices (also guzzled it at AA meetings). Yeah, it was usually garbage coffee, but enough cream and sugar helped cover it up.

When the beetus came knocking, I cut soft drinks out of my diet entirely, which was 99% of my caffeine (and sugar) intake after leaving the cubicle life. Now a nice cup of coffee makes me jittery as poo poo and sends my blood pressure into low orbit. :sigh: Even decaf makes me a bit jittery (shocked face, decaf still has some caffeine - not much, but it's there).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 14, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Blanche is the spitting image of one of my aunts (well, how she looked in the 80s, anyway). It creeps me out just a bit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Beard chat: I hate shaving, only reason I have a beard. I buzz it off when it starts itching (generally every 2 weeks). I might do an actual shave once every 6 weeks.

Despite how hairy I am, I can't seem to grow a good looking beard anyway.

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Her style was pretty drat popular in the 80s, there were leagues of middle aged/early senior women who looked almost exactly like Rue McClanahan in the day.

Trust me, I know... my aunt looked EXACTLY like her, and my mother was dressing similarly. Except mom had bigger/longer hair.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This is interesting, I wonder how they do it.

Had a locksmith friend. The cheaper locksmiths stock replacement key blanks that have a write-one-read-many chip in them (basically an RFID version of an EPROM), instead of read only. The copy machine will read your original key's chip, then write that to the new chip. The higher end locksmiths will have the equipment to program new keys (and often, key fobs) into a lot of cars. He was able to program a new fob into the old Saturd, which was normally something only a dealer could do.

(unfortunately, he did the massive stupid with his locksmith knowledge, lost his license, and is currently in county...)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cripes, what a weekend. And not in a good way.

Went to Austin to help GF move. While there, I found out a friend died... a loving month ago. Only found out when I wondered why I hadn't heard from him so long, wandered to his facebook page, saw he hadn't posted in a month (which is very unusual for him, he usually posts several times a day), then wandered to his husband's FB (not FB buddies with him, though I've met him before). Didn't expect to see funeral details for a funeral that happened a month ago. Really didn't expect to find graphic detail of how he died. :sigh: (he had a liver transplant last year, guessing complications got him from what was described, but jfc the description has given me nightmare fuel for a long time). Definitely has given me a bad case of sad brains (and nightmares). :smith:

rdb posted:

Went to mow yesterday and my 4 year old, 140 hour scag mower with a briggs dropped a valve. Right in front of my most aggressive beehive. Went to take it to a shop today since I am working 12 hour days and found my trailer had 2 flats. Pumped them up, one was a cracked valve stem. Spent 30 minutes breaking the bead. Got it fixed, decided to pressure wash the mower before taking it in. Pressure washer tossed a rod (honda GX390). I give up on today because I ran out of swear words.

Who the gently caress did you piss on in a previous life? :stare:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Making some pickled eggs right now. Never done it before but I've got a lot of eggs to use up and a few gallon pickle jars so :shrug:. Can't be that hard - salt, vinegar, water, and garlic/onions. Hopefully I don't gently caress it up.

Reminds me, I thought of Dave/OZZYMANDICKWHATEVER when I ran across these on my way to Austin on Friday.

Tremek, how many times will you stab me if I send a case of these to 14" Dave? :v:

my stepdad's family used to own the company that did these... along with the store they're sold from.. no relation anymore though

Tomarse posted:

How do you guys in the US deal with long drives? What should I be doing to make it more bearable?

I’ve just done 560 Miles (France to the UK) and I’ve got another 70 to go to get home. It was at about 500 Miles when I think I hit the wall and started questioning my life choices.

.... I can drive that many miles and still be in the same state. :allears: (I'm about 650 miles from my home town)

(podcasts help a lot)

My GF is about 200 miles away at the moment... every time I drive back I find new and interesting ways to get lost, on purpose, just to explore small town :clint: Texas. Too bad I have absolutely no mobile service once I'm a mile or two off of major roads when in BFE, so Google Maps becomes useless if I deviate from what it wants me to do.

KakerMix posted:

Longest I've ever done was 14 hours in a single drive (with a couple stops of course) in a single day, in my 2013 Golf R, freshly broken in, and a bottomless pit of synthwave music. Drove up from Florida to Michigan and actually had a good time though I don't ever want to do it again.

I think my worst was 16 or 18 hours, for the same ~650 mile drive across TX that normally takes ~10 hours (I've done it in 7 before, including fuel, bathroom, and meal stops *cough*).

This was in a 200k+ 1988 Honda Accord, and before cellphones were affordable; family was a little alarmed that I took so long to get across the state (and wouldn't accept collect calls :fuckoff:). "so uh hey pops you did see that bit where I-10 was shut down due to ice, right? and remember those collect calls you kept refusing? that was me when I got stranded at a truck stop in the middle of loving nowhere".

I'm doing ~200 mile drives (each way) every ~3 weeks right now, and I dig it once I get the hell out of DFW. Especially now that the speed limit outside of major cities is generally 75 MPH on I-35. I really need to either get a stand-alone GPS, download offline maps for the entire state for Google Maps, or resort to a printed map.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

E: even lovely lawyers like L&R do it on contingency, hmmm. Gonna give a few places a call tomorrow.

Pretty much every ambulance chaser/personal injury lawyer works on contingency. Expect them to want ~1/3 of any settlement, but they'll add attorneys fees to it. Basing this on my own experience, anyway. And yeah, when they asked me how I heard about them, "you guys pay <local radio talk show host> to do 100 endorsements every loving day!", which got a laugh out of the rep.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Damnit USPS. ""Delivery attempt: Notice Left (no secure location available)" my loving rear end. Camera didn't see anybody come up to my door, there's parcel lockers next to the mailbox (currently all 4 are empty), and they've never had a problem leaving packages at the door if they didn't fit in the lockers (and there was no notice).

I was kinda counting on having that Rockauto shipment tonight. Now I gotta go pick it up from the post office in the morning (assuming they actually pay attention to the online redelivery/hold at PO request), since I'll be at work all day tomorrow. Thanks assholes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm not in the best neighborhood, but there's four USPS parcel lockers right next to the mailbox. All 4 were empty when I left for work today (keys in them), all 4 were still empty when I got home. That's why I'm so annoyed (also the carrier never tried coming to the door). It was a serpentine belt and two sets of headlights, shouldn't exactly be a large package. First time I've ever had USPS not leave something, so I don't know what the hell.

Need the belt ASAP as it's never been changed and shows some pretty bad rot, and I've been driving 100+ miles a day on it, on average (highest so far was 400 in a day - put almost 5k on the car in the ~6 weeks I've had it). Headlights were more because wholesaler closeout and wanted something brighter (also, original bulbs from 2005... they're not exactly new, I think even the shittiest bulbs would be an improvement). Figured I'd try two varieties of brighter Wagner bulbs, since they were less than $3/ea.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 25, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Letter carrier: gently caress going to the 3rd floor or leaving this in a parcel locker, I'm marking it "no safe place".
Me: :argh: *submit request to have package held at post office, receive email confirmation*
*goes to post office... they say it's been sent back out for redelivery*
Letter carrier: gently caress going to the 3rd floor or leaving this in a parcel locker, I'm marking it "no safe place".

Glad I saw his LLV outside, had to chase him down to get mah Rockauto magnets. :fuckoff:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Magnus Praeda posted:

Call the Post Office for your area and ask to speak to a carrier supervisor and report that poo poo. Either your carrier is a lazy gently caress (likely) and needs a reprimand or is an idiot (also likely but probably not the issue here) and needs a retraining.

When I was at the post office to pick up the package, they told me my "regular carrier" had it, and that someone else filled in yesterday. They had no explanation as to why it went out for redelivery when I requested (before the cutoff) that they hold it.

... when I found him today, it was someone I've never seen. He said it was a brand new route for him, and he didn't know which building was which. :argh: (each one has its own street address... clearly labeled, though). But yeah, not too pleased. I'm guessing the line I got about a substitute filling in yesterday was just a line fed to me to get me out of the lobby.

I have another package (Lootcrate) coming via FedEx SmartPost (which gets handed off to USPS for the final mile), I'm gonna be livid if this happens with that one. I WANT MAH ARCHER LOOT.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I have an aunt that sends me a Starbucks gift card twice a year. Once for my birthday, once for Christmas.

I'm not much of a coffee drinker (I do like how good coffee tastes, but I cut caffeine out of my diet due to high blood pressure). Even drinking a soda bumps my heart rate up a bit. I probably have $50 worth on my Starbucks account right now. GF is a big coffee drinker, and I like tea occasionally (or some of the snack stuff from Starbucks), so I'm slowly using them up.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh trust me I know, it's not the greatest.

I need to keep some good decaf around, but even that has enough caffeine for me to feel a little jittery. :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

stump posted:

Does abdy like here like spicy food? Not Mexican food spicy, not even a decent Vindaloo spicy, but random noodles from the Chinese supermarket spicy?

These noodles are a whole other thing. You try some. No big deal. Then you saliva arrives, and it’s somehow spicier. You drink something, but the spicy saliva comes back, the only thing that helps more spicy noodles, rinse, repeat.

I had these a few weeks ago.

They definitely pack a pretty good punch. SO TASTY TOO, and as doodie pointed out, there's a 2X version that's more awesome.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I find the 2x hot pretty hot, and I add that Dave's ghost pepper chili hot sauce to things regularly. Be careful not to drain too much water when you cook it unless you want to cry.

You're supposed to drain all of it.

ALL. OF. IT. None of this watered down fire here, mister. :colbert:

iwentdoodie posted:

I drain all of the water, then add the packets and just stir and nuke for another second, cause all I have at work is a microwave.

The regular is like...just spicy enough to taste it, the 2x is like the sweet spot between tasty and "this hurts."

I haven't had the 2X yet. The spicy was enough to get my attention, and it did burn a bit more once I finished, but I wanted hotter.

GF bought it as a dare, and demanded to watch me eat it whenever I finally got around to it. It was funny watching her sit there with her jaw hanging open while I inhaled the entire bowl. She can't even handle my beans when I fix them my normal way (which has a little fire, but not much), I have to cut way back on the spicyness. They get chili powder, green chiles (fresh, home roasted, during Hatch chile season), and chipotles, normally. Sometimes I'll toss in a couple of jalapenos (fresh, sliced lengthwise) for a little extra flavor.

You Am I posted:

My last grandparent, my maternal grandmother passed away last night at the age of 96. Which was the same age my paternal grandmother passed away at.

Got into work this morning and found out one of my co workers came in and had a stroke. Called it a day after that news.

Yikes. Sorry man.

My grandmother made it to 93. Of all my grandparents, she lasted the longest, by a big margin. Paternal grandparents didn't make it past 60, I don't think (one cancer from radiation treatment, one Alzheimer's.. never met my paternal grandmother, don't remember my paternal grandfather).

My dad has outlived both of his parents by a good chunk now (he's in his early 70s), and my mom (70) is coming close to outliving her father. I'll be shocked if I make it past 65 or 70.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 28, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So something I've never really mentioned is I have a handful of watches.

Swatches though. All Swatches. Mostly 90s stuff, including the Atlanta Olympics version (that one is still in the original packaging, though it's been opened). I stopped wearing watches awhile back, but ran across 2 of them last week while packing. The Atlanta one is at my parents house.

Well, last night, started trying to figure out what batteries they took. Googled "swatch battery replacement". Guess what? Swatch now gives free batteries for life, if you go to a corporate store. We have one here. Went there today. They installed new batteries, and even polished the scratches out of the face of my newest one (a ~10 year old chronograph model that my mom gave me).

A+ experience until the employee took a close look at one and said "wait, 1995? that's the year I was born, teehee". Me: "... I was a senior in high school :corsair:"

Rocking the Caution one again, tho it barely fits. IIRC the last time I wore it, it ran a bit fast, but I found some corrosion on a terminal last night and cleaned it up (I think the battery it had when I bought it had leaked, but I've had it a long time).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 28, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wait, when the gently caress did I move to Arizona Bay? :suicide:

e: weird story, but didn't want to doublepost. So back in the day, I ran a dialup BBS. :corsair: I ran it from 92-97 in my hometown, then 97-99 once I moved to DFW. It never took off in DFW (since BBSs were dying off by then anyway), but it was one of the more popular ones in my hometown, complete with 3 lines (and a 4th for me to dial out on + run zone mail hour).

My dad and stepmom still live in my hometown. When pops went to pay, their waiter recognized his last name (not a common last name in a predominantly hispanic city), asked if we were related. Dad said yes. Waiter said he knew me back in the day. Dad pulled phone out, called me, said "someone wants to talk to you" and handed the phone over.

Hello, long lost cosysop. We're friends on FB, but haven't heard each others voices in over 20 years (and probably haven't seen each other in person since 1994).

Small loving world, when someone you knew a long time ago, nearly 700 miles away, runs into your dad.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 28, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The moment I saw "2 days" and "pickled eggs" I was already trying to formulate how to politely ask how weaponized your rear end must be.

The next time I drive to Austin, I will buy these, and I will mail them to either you or Dave. Or both.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 28, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gettin real annoyed with the dealer that GF bought Saturd #2 from. It's been 7 weeks; still no title, still no plates, still no registration, just a temp tag that's about to expire. They offered to print another temp tag to give us another 2 months, but WTF (also that requires a quick jaunt down to Austin; I'm moving soon anyway, but I'm trying to bust my rear end working as much as possible until I move).

We got a receipt from them that appears to be from the state of TX showing that a title has been applied for. Dealer keeps saying to check back in a few more days.

Weirdness though... the previous owner's purchase paperwork was still in it. Got bored and looked up the address. Turns out they don't live far from GF (or didn't at the time). Google Street View shows Negative Ions sitting in their driveway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Adiabatic posted:

People were saying it was blurry and lighter colored than the picture but I MUST HAVE IT

I had one from probably the same lovely overseas manufacturer, and it looked like complete poo poo. Colors were way off, and whatever they printed with had each color misaligned pretty badly.

• Locked thread