Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Porfiriato posted:

And we had one of those when I was a kid. You shoved some ice cubes in the hole and then turned a crank in the back and something inside (probably a blade or something else similarly dangerous) would shave off bits of them as it spun around. Once you had enough you used the little shovel to extricate the slush into the cup, then you aimed for a 50/50 mix of Kool-Aid concentrate "flavoring" and ice to get a sugar rush. Or at least I did.

It was kind of a pain in the rear end and a lot of work for what you got but it was heady times to be able to whip up your own snow cone at home on-demand.

Also the little Snoopy with the Devo hat was a plunger you had to push down to mash the ice cubes against the grater wheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I showed my wife the G-shock I want to buy (https://i.imgur.com/J7gvjFv.png) and she wrinkled her nose and said "It's very you"

It turns out I am Cassette Futurism: The Human

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

If I were in the market for a G-shock, that would be my choice too. The ones that everyone think of when they think G-shock, to me, are utterly ridiculous. What does your nose-wrinkling wife think of those?

She has one of the ones with a step counter. Full-sized, not a Baby G. She loves it and wears it every day. I don't want to accuse her of having bad taste, but she did marry this idiot *points thumbs at self*

Rigged Death Trap posted:

"Ill have to hear "no its not casio terrorist watch" multiple times a day"

Lol I have one of those too (albeit in "steel")

Imagined posted:

I would blanch a little bit at paying a $150 for essentially a replica of a watch that practically came free with boxes of cereal back in the day, especially when I paid about that much for a Fossil smartwatch. Of course that one probably has more than a 6 hour battery life, unlike my Fossil. :dumbgun:

You can get a basic battery-powered square G for like half that (look for DW5600), I wanted one that auto-syncs to the atomic time radio signal

Recently Casio made steel-cased G-shocks that cost like $600 or more because the watch market is absolutely loving bonkers

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A fair assessment

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My first car was a '89 Probe (which despite being a Ford was built by Mazda). She had some weird-rear end dash features like the turn signals on a toggle that you hit by using your left pinky finger, the wipers were on a knob like a, I dunno, like an oven knob dial... yeah.

My favorite was the Probe was an automatic, but had some weird bisexual transmission. You could hit a rocker switch located by the gear shift to make her manual, then use a button on the stick, where your thumb would rest, to shift her manually.

The rocker switch was labeled MAN SHIFT, so any time I had a male passenger in the car sassing me, I'd make a lame joke about "hey, if you piss me off all I gotta do is hit this button and you'll turn into [whatever male celebrity crush I had at the time]". With boyfriends, it got to be a "taps the sign" thing.

Whaaat

My first car was a 90 Probe, also auto, and I don't remember that at all! Maybe it had it and I just didn't try it. A shameful Phy.

But yeah the control binnacle was cool as hell, the entire instrument cluster adjusted up and down with the wheel. Actual gauges for oil temp, coolant temp and battery voltage. My brother had a Probe as well and his had the fancy digital dash, but that crapped out on him with regularity, mine just worked.

Also, pop-up headlights, and the 80s-est of safety features, the seatbelt that automatically moved along a track by the door so you didn't have to unbuckle to get out. Mine didn't work for the first couple of years, then it decided I was worthy and it started working again.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bet there's a bunch of old millennials running around with fond memories of Mathnet and Mathman who don't remember that that was Square One

Source: I, the idiot

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hell, I think I had both 80s in the same house

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

chaoticgeek posted:

A while back I stayed in an AirBnb with this nostalgia bomb of a basement. Just the smell alone instantly took me back to my childhood...if there had been an NES and tiny TV in the corner I would have lost my mind.

Fuckin lol that lino

Like, I'm pretty sure that was in the kitchen of the first house I remember living in, but also I think it's buried under the engineered hardwood they slapped down in the place I'm in now

(both built right around the same time)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

woodgrain TV

Our woodgrain TV had a channel changer that needed an entire 9v battery

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neito posted:

Earth tones were super in in the 80s for some godforsaken reason.

I always thought that was one of the holdovers from the 70s, like much of the woodpanel 80s. All that burnt umber and avocado and "gold".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

And the first song is by Starship without Grace Slick.

Considering Starship with Grace Slick was responsible for We Built This City, that's actually kind of terrifying

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panty Saluter posted:

I'm sure Hasbro amended the licensing agreement to be more exclusive pretty quickly though. Also the unofficial fan name "Shackwave" is perfect

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/RadioShack

It looks like the company with the original rights to the mold sold it on to... somebody else. If it'd been Hasbro or Takara, there probably would have been a reissue of the original toy by now.

A couple years ago, Hasbro did do a recolor of a recent Shockwave toy that was one big reference to Shackwave:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Now post the one where the 40 raptor is feasting on Big Tim The Human Piece of Toast's knees

Cause mine started hurting at odd moments this year

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

flavor.flv posted:

Plus watching that as a kid you probably hadn't yet gotten used to the idea of law enforcement murdering innocent people on a whim to suppress minority communities

The shoes act more like animals. They scatter when their shipping crate is opened and have to be rounded up by hand, and the one Doom dips is nuzzling up against his foot like a friendly cat.

I realize this probably won't make that scene any easier to watch.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

One of my dentists in the early 90s had a Vectrex in his waiting room. Absolute highlight of the trip.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

maybealabia posted:

These definitely belong here

With bonus Robot Dad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

All I (or anyone else, really, be honest) remembers about it is that the dude was, like, a mannequin come to life, but ONLY if the hat was on his head. So naturally, it was ALWAYS coming off his head and he'd freeze in place.

Just, like, get a loving strap for that hat, my dude.

The cast being two puppets, a regular human and a dancing singing mannequin makes almost more sense now than it did in the 80s

After all, the setting of "an independent Canadian department store" has become slightly more mythical than Tir na nOg or Xibalba