Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

How is the Ms. Marvel/Squirrel Girl comic?

The antagonist is kind of meh, and I felt the two set up comics not written by North and Wilson felt a bit off. That said, the recent issue was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I picked up X-23 after enjoying the writer's Hulk series and liking what I'd heard of Gabby. Gabby definitely delivered this issue, but I'm not sure I know enough about Laura and the Cuckoos to really appreciate the opening plot. I'll give it another issue or two though. Going to hit up All New Wolverine on Marvel Unlimited for more Gabby though.

Exiles opening arc felt really rushed, and relied a little to much on the team being shuffled through dimensions without much space to explore the characters or the settings. As a result, the death wasn't that effective for me. I'll give it another issue to see where it's going next, but may drop it if it doesn't hook me again.

Squirrel Girl was great as usual. As disappointing as Kraven's inevitable return to villainy is, I'm happy North is getting to handle the story.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Black Cat was the first comic by Vulpes I've picked up, and it did not disappoint. Really nailed the heist film feel, and of course Foreman's art was great. I did not expect a backup with a guest appearance by Dracula. Looking forward to the next issue.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

I never liked any story with Bruce Banner in it. Would I like this series everyone is praising?

Probably depends on what you don't like about Banner. He shares the spotlight with Hulk's latest personality, the amoral but intuitively intelligent "Devil Hulk", and so far has shied away from "Banner, super scientist." It begins with them both on the run, a bit like in the classic TV show, but with the twist that Hulk only comes out at night, and can resurrect Banner from the dead when he does, thus the "Immortal" title. The first few issues remind me a bit of a classic horror anthology comic, featuring a new, gamma themed monster with each issues, but it quickly becomes a character study of Banner, Hulk, and their supporting cast, with a focus on the philosophical implications of the Hulk.

Also, body horror. So much body horror.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Between House of X, Immortal Hulk, and Black Cat, last week was just a really strong week for Marvel.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

site posted:

As much as I complain about specifics, I don't think there's been a week where there just straight up hasn't been at least a 2-3 solid books every week in quite a while

Granted they put out like ten books a week so a couple per may not be what some consider great, but :shrug:

True. It just feels like those titles have been notably good. I almost included Zdarsky's Daredevil as well. Only comic in my pull that disappointed me was Future Foundation, which was far from bad, but didn't immediately hook me like Unstoppable Wasp did.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

site posted:

i mean, theres that whole scene where she creates one so large it literally pushes her out of a window in hastings run. but like i said, if leah didnt intend to mean it that way , then ill eat being wrong on that. i dont know why else was she would point it out though

I took it to mean that she can see them, and she knows the readers of the comic can see them, so she's embarrassed even if she will never interact with the readers. Which would probably be pretty funny or endearing if not for her purposefully acting wacky and meme-like. I think she's supposed to come off as trying too hard because it's part of her attempt to remain entertaining and relevant. Problem is, it has the same pitfalls as a writer trying too hard, so many of the jokes come off more annoying than funny.

I don't know. I may give it another issue to see where the story is going, but I'm leaning towards dropping it.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I kind of love how drastic the tone of Dawn of X and Immortal Hulk are despite both being about resurrection.

X-Men: Oh my god, we can't die! :D

Hulk: Oh my god, we can't die! :stonk:

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 7, 2020

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I really liked Ultimate Spider-Man, but as awesome as Miles is, the book was better with Peter if only because Peter had time to breath and get fleshed out. As others have said, Mile's story gets interrupted too often by his dad's SHIELD background, Peter's sudden and pointless return, and Secret Wars. Also, it becomes ridiculous how many threatening villains end up being defeated by his zap power alone.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

God Knull is just so boring to look at. I don't know if this would be a good comic if he had a decent design but having an abysmally dull one sure doesn't help.

I really am baffled how they decided to make a symbiot diety, tied to All Black the Necro Sword, and the best design they could come up with is "D&D villain with a big mouth".

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

Al Ewing is really going all in on the King in Black tie-ins. S.W.O.R.D. was a fun way to use the event as a pretense for showing his team in action, and Immortal Hulk I'm not sure about. Maybe I'm misreading but it seems like he's tying Knull into the overall sweep of his narrative in a pretty fundamental way?

The Immortal Hulk one shot tie-in came off more like a small Christmas issue that happened to have a symbiot. Not really following what you mean in the spoilers, despite just reading both Immortal Hulk and SWORD, but maybe I missed something.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I also don't care for the KiB portions of DD, and am very confused why Zdarsky's run skipped the much better War of the Realms but not this mess. That said, he's doing a good job of using the event to continue the main themes of the comic, even if you could easily sub the Knull symbiots with any other kind of invasion (well, sans the inevitable venomization at the end). Also loved the social commentary early on about how Daredevil is still a white vigilante that the system is bending to accommodate.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Skwirl posted:

What are you ranking ahead of it? because the first two certainly can't include the actual first two secret wars. And the Bendis mini was mostly about how awesome "preventative warfare" is.

I read that as "The third and best one."

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I'm not sure I've ever seen Ms. Marvel go skyscraper sized, though she did have to fight a giant, magic clone of her civilian self once that was about that big.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

I cannot get over the fact that the primordial god of entropy and the abyss just looks like a mid-aughts WoW badguy.

I am still baffled how anyone could take the idea of "Venom symbiot God" and not arrive at some kind of eldritch abomination, much less something humanoid.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

^burtle posted:

If I’m going to try the Zdarsky DD stuff do I have to start at the beginning?

Definitely start at the beginning of Zdarsky's run. The main plot stems directly from something that happens in his first issue.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

^burtle posted:

Why won’t you guys just let me have some Delektra? :(

Well, if that's the main thing your interested in, you can probably start just before she took on the role, or when she first showed back up in the comic before then. That said, it's just one of multiple plots the book is currently juggling, and you'll likely be a bit confused with everything else.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I really enjoyed how the story arc ended in Black Cat, as well as the Iron Man Annual. Can't wait to see how Felicia steals the Infinity Stones.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I assume Venom will play a role in the big space crossover event Ewing has planned. I also see Venom playing to the same strengths he brought to Hulk, with the multiple personalities and body horror. I am curious to see how Ewing differentiates them though. He also tends to be really good at digging into a character's history, so I'm sure if he's writing Venom, he's found some interesting hook.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Really happy Ewing addressed this. I know Bennett is on that upcoming Timeless book, which I'd really like to buy to support another favorite writer and fellow goon, but not sure I can justify it.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

FoneBone posted:

did Ewing comment on Joe Bennett circa the "Jewery" incident?

I don't think he ever did.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Just a head's up, Joe Bennett is off Timeless.

The best news. Happily going back on my pull list.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Overall, I liked ending of Immortal Hulk, though I agree with many of the critiques, and wasn't as satisfied with it as I'd hoped to be.

That said, I feel confident it will be so much better than whatever is going on here in the upcoming run.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Moon Knight continues to be a great read. Really happy Marc has a buddy.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Gologle posted:

So is Zdarsky's run on Daredevil over? I'll admit, I lost the plot a few times, mostly because I kept accidentally skipping issues. Did Electra's kid die? How is Matt out of prison? When did the Kingpin get remarried? Isn't Butch Kingpin's son? I thought Mike knew that Daredevil was Matt? Why is Mr. Fantastic fighting at street level? What does that last page imply? What about the clone Bullseyes?

Did you not read the full issue? We literally see Kingpin's wedding. They also explain that Daredevil got his prison sentence commuted after all, because Foggy successfully argued he only escaped because of the drug, which he was only exposed to because of the FBI investigation they asked his help on. I think Mr. Fantastic was looking for Daredevil to discuss the vigilante issue, and decided to help him foil the robbery. I'm assuming the last page implied Kingpin either figured out Matt's identity, or is starting to put the pieces together. Probably what will lead to Devil's Reign.

Bullseye killed off the clones in the previous issue. Butch is Kingpin's kid. Honestly I don't recall what happened to the girl Electra was helping, though I don't think she died. I think she ran off?

Edit: I gave Venom a chance, since I was interested in what Ewing would do with the character, but don't think I have any interest in whatever Ram V's doing with his part of the story. A politician running specifically on symbiots as an issue just seems odd, even with the recent Knull focused events. Would the average person in the Marvel universe even know the term? Seems like they'd just lump them in with all the other alien invasions.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 2, 2021

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's a callback to the bit earlier in the issue when Matt tells Elektra about how Killgrave's kids hypnotized the world, how they could "look at a piece of paper that says Matt Murdock is Daredevil and see something completely different, or nothing at all." Fisk is looking at his file of proof that Matt is Daredevil and not seeing anything. It strikes him as odd that he doesn't see anything.

Gotcha. Caught on that it was referencing the secret identity discussion, but was confused what Kingpin was supposed to be seeing. Still, I'd file that under "putting the pieces together".

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

the guy running for congress in Venom is the new Carnage so odds are pretty good!

Ah, so it's a closeted politician metaphor, albeit an awkward one.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Come to think of it, there are multiple characters who have pull in Hell. Has there ever been a story where someone was like, "you need to lay low for awhile. Don't worry, I've got a place no one will look for you" and they stash them in a safehouse in hell? Surely Dr. Strange or Puck or that sword lady from the X-Men must've done something like that at some point.

Apparently during the X-Men vs. Inhumans period, half of the X-Men did operate out of Limbo with the help of Magik, as it was the safest place from the Terrigen clouds.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Rick posted:

Where do I pitch my story about the Punisher listening to a podcast in his iheartradio app and deciding, "wow, all cops really are bastards" and he then goes and starts exclusively killing the police. He starts doing this while listening to Cop Killer, but then someone tells him Ice T plays a cop on TV now so he's done with that so he starts listening to trap hip hop exclusively. Through this music he comes to understand the reality of what motivates someone to deal drugs so he starts to take riches from the police stations and police officers homes he liberates and redistributes it to urban communities. He realizes this isn't enough though, so he starts to do the same thing to billionaires. Of course this puts him at odds with guys like Moon Knight and Tony Stark. I'd like Disney to publish this.

Moon Knight just lost his wealth after his account got hacked, and he didn't care. "It means exactly nothing to me. I am a PRIEST. And no wealthy priest has ever been good." It was a badass scene.

I like your idea in general, though. My main point is read current, goon written comic book Moon Knight.

Edge & Christian posted:

I respect that! I was mostly just responding to non-sequitur single sentences/sentence fragments with equal amounts of effort. I probably should have talked more about things loving owning or loving sucking to blend in better.

Your deep dives into publication history loving owns, but your insistence that people can't offer quick, simple opinions on comics they read loving sucks.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Good comic day. Devil's Reign continues to be stellar, Timeless was a great Kang story, and Death of Dr. Strange continues to be fun. Granted, that last one had the most Bats per page, so it wins by default.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Skwirl posted:

So on their house on the moon they have 3 bedrooms, one for Logan, one for Scott and one for Jean in the middle with connecting doors to both.

Notably, this house was custom grown for them, and those three bedrooms are the only ones connected. While Jean and Scott have been especially domestic, helping raise Rachel and teen Cable while he was around, it does seem to be canon that they have either included Logan in a throuple, or that their relationship is an open one. That said, I don't think they have focused much on it due to corporate mandates not allowing them to explore poly-amorous relationships, or any relationships that would depict Wolverine and Cyclops as anything other than straight.

I do think Emma's involvement is a bit overstated, as she and Scott seem to have moved on from each other and are focusing on other parts of their lives, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they have the odd flirtation or fling.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Skwirl posted:

There's also an issue of X-Force or Wolverine or something where it's Scott talking to Logan and he's like "Hey, we're taking teen Cable to the beach this weekend and both Jean and I would love to have you there."

Oh yeah, I think someone posted that panel. Logan considers saying "Jeanie in a bikini." to which Cyclops replies "Scott in a speedo." And that seemed to only make it more appealing to Wolverine. Probably even more nods and teases like that that I've missed or forgotten.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

There was a book where Scott was with Emma on a yacht. But yeah, all their interactions also show it, with Emma pretty much always helping out Scott as much as she can from the council side, and even offering to leave it in X of Swords to help fight, which he turns down.

Also the look in House of/Powers of X after Jean gives Emma a beer, then Emma shoots Scott some major bedroom eyes.

She certainly still cares for him, and those where definitely bedroom eyes. I'm just not sure she's in an active relationship with him like Scott/Jean/Logan, regardless of whether they are hooking up or not. I think it's somewhat notable that she doesn't have a connected moon bedroom.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Emma Frost would not lower herself to sleeping on the moon.

Hmm. Good point. She does seem the type who'd ask Scott to come to her. So yeah, other interpretations are possible and valid.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

howe_sam posted:

Emma is currently single

This panel was what I was thinking of before, but I forgot that she specifically mentions being single. Glad I wasn't to far off.

Codependent Poster posted:

She's too busy for a relationship which is why it works out that she can just call up Scott and have him come over for a hookup whenever.

I think you cracked the code.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I'll give it a shot, sense Gillen is writing, but the similarities to IvX are not going to do them any favors.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Thanos is the current leader of the Inhumans Eternals.

Fixed that for ya, though can't fault you for mixing up the obscure, Kirby ancient alien teams.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Gonna assume it gets fixed somehow within the series, and no other comic even mentions it. This just seems way to dumb for other writer's to get on board with. Either that or Moon Knight is about to take a very unexpected turn.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Can a Marvel enthusiast point me to a good jumping on point to get back into the current universe?

I'm assuming for the X peeps that Bendis' Age of X is the obvious, but recommendations for other titles would be very helpful. I've been out of the loop since Secret Wars...

On the flip side, if I should wait until the next big event shake up to relaunch titles, I can do that too.

Any advice would be appreciated!

IUG posted:

I never read Bendis' X-Men stuff, and jumped back on to X-Men stuff right after they just did their House/Powers of X stuff recently. New status quo, and doesn't seem to be ending any time soon.
https://www.howtoread.me/x-men-jonathan-hickman-reading-order/
This guide seems to be the order they came out in, and seems up to date up until a few weeks ago.

There's been only like two or three titles to skip in the entire X-Men run so far, so it's been pretty great. (Fallen Angels, Children of the Atom, and X-Corp are the ones to skip.)

Was just about to recommend this. The start of Hickman's run is a great jumping on point for the X-Men. Read the initial miniseries, then follow whatever titles catch your interest, with the possible exception of the ones mentioned above. Most are fairly self contained, though the X of Swords event does require reading across the line to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

What do people think about the new Marauders writing/drawing team?

I loved the Duggan run, can the new people keep it up?

I've read comics from Steve Orlando that I really enjoyed. That said, the annual didn't hit the spot for me. Hoping the ongoing comic will be better.