Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spatial posted:

i've worked on several issues in the last few years which were estimated at 3-5 days but wound up taking over 3 months each :v:

What's it like to work on Star Citizen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shame Boy posted:

It's kinda a different beast too, because the CO2 forests release was captured from the atmosphere fairly recently and has been a normal part of the carbon cycle this whole time, whereas the CO2 we release has been locked underground for hundreds of millions of years.

Okay, what if we replaced that old carbon with new carbon? Instead of burning the forests we cut them down and stuff them in old coal mines. Stuff on top would break down a little, but stuff at the bottom shouldn't. Every so often someone excavates an old landfill and finds 30 year old newspapers that are still perfectly fine, without water or air they take forever to break down, so that same storage solution should work on pre-birth newspapers. Trees are pretty slow tho, maybe grow bamboo or kudzu or something to capture atmospheric carbon and stuff it in old mine shafts.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bike tory posted:

"Macca's" refers to burger king because the burger king name was already taken in Australia. McDonalds is called Hungry Jack's, or "Hungry Jacca's" colloquially.

Where do the drop bears come in?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

T-man posted:

i will sell the t-man account and all assosiated IP, trademarks, and Hot Takes for the small sum of 420,690.

jeffery my pms are open

This kills the account.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I think the conflict is not in having a nurse, but in the "made my nurse be a medieval plague doctor". If you force your servants to dress up for your amusement that's a guillotining. I don't make the rules, that's just the way it is.

But it was probably just a joke and she didn't force the nurse to wear the costume at all. If the nurse chose to dress up for the holiday that's fine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Smythe posted:

i loving love posting about posting and meta-forums discussion

One thing about which you'll seldom hear boasting is how most of my posts are posts about posting.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BonHair posted:

They're probably pro-blackface though, right?

It's fascinating talking to old Europeans about the first time they saw A Black* as children. Like, it might as well have been an elf or a space alien, it was so weird to them because (Northern) Europe was just super white. Super racist, especially later on, but completely different from American anti-black racism. I suspect this also explains (without excusing) the defence of Zwarte Piet: black people aren't seen as really real.

*You know the kind of words they use...

In north america we might have something similar with "gypsies" not being real, to the point that many don't realize "gypsy" is a slur against real people who exist. For us they are magical brown people who tell fortunes and live in horse drawn wagons. Very disappointed to find out "gypsy caravans" are just motor homes now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Inceltown posted:

OK, it says 600km. Which for me is about a month.

Seems like sticking with my xeros and their 8000km warranty is still cheaper.

Yes but then you don't get to tell everyone your sneakers are made of beans.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

beans

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Pigs are cool as gently caress as a pet but they're literally worthless as a small scale sustainable food source. They don't make eggs and if you are raising enough pigs to eat you are already stressed as gently caress trying to wrangle pigs and probably should just get something else. Chickens seem fine and pretty sustainable on a small scale if you really need meat. Easy to murder too which is something that really is the hardest thing about keeping anything for meat. I would love a house cow for milk but the economics are completely wack and I refuse to straight up gank a cow I've essentially kept like the vampires in blade kept humans

The way for a small holder to do it is to buy a tiny piglet in the spring. Feed it whatever all summer. Slaughter it in the fall. You don't even have to slaughter it yourself, the town butcher can do it.

Pigs are like dogs, they'll eat anything. Anything. You can have a pig toilet, an outhouse mounted over a pig sty. Turn your poop back into food. This is of course a terrible idea that encourages parasites. And the pig might bite your delicate bits while it has the chance.

But just look how happy that man is.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

My wife's schizophrenic father who lives off grid swears pigs can eat human poo poo and it won't spread disease back to humans if you don't eat them but also whenever he wears shoes he stuffs his socks with garlic and he believes in angels so I am unsure how much to trust him

Tape worms aren't exactly a disease, right?

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/cysti...0human%20feces.

quote:

What is the relationship between human tapeworm and porcine (pig) cysticercosis?
Humans get the tapeworm infection after eating raw or undercooked pork contaminated with cysts of T. solium. When swallowed the cysts pass through the stomach and attach to the lining of the small intestine. In the small intestine the cysts develop into adult tapeworms over about two months.

Where is cysticercosis found?
Cysticercosis is found worldwide. Infection is found most often in rural areas of developing countries where pigs are allowed to roam freely and eat human feces and where hygiene practices are poor. Cysticercosis is rare in people who live in countries where pigs do not have contact with human feces. People can sometimes get cysticercosis even if they have never traveled outside of the United States.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Am I misreading that or does that specifically state you need to eat the pig meat? Either way I have a normal human toilet so it's not relevant

I'm not trying to kink shame, but why would have have pigs hanging around and eating your poop if you weren't going to eat them?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Punkin Spunkin posted:

this is just reminding me of one of my favorite moments in Acid Dreams, which you should all read if you haven't already

quote:

Suppose instead you found a way to spike the city’s water supply or to release a hallucinogen in aerosol form. For twelve to twenty-four hours all the people in the vicinity would be hopelessly giddy, vertiginous, spaced-out. Those under the spell of madness gas would be incapable of raising a whimper of protest while American troops established themselves on what was once forbidden turf. Victory would be a foregone conclusion, as smooth and effortless as the French army in The King of Hearts strolling into a town inhabited solely by asylum inmates.

LOL good luck spiking the tap water these days. You could do it, but a pretty significant chunk of people drink bottled water or don't drink water at all.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Inceltown posted:

Goons will rule supreme.

Imagine how salty you'd be if you missed out on your cool free acid trip because this isn't the week you take a shower. :mad:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

T-man posted:

how doyou not drink water for a week are you a camel?

Lots of people don't drink tap water at all. Personally I think paying for bottled water when I have perfectly safe tap water for free is a suckers game. :smug: I mean, I don't drink the free tap water either, because I don't like the flavor of the tap water, and I don't really like tea or coffee or juice from concentrate so drinking the tap water or things made from tap water just never comes up.

I'm no camel tho. I drink 2 litres of diet pepsi everyday.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

T-man posted:

cspam would be blocked for "hate speech" (against PoW)

People of Whiteness?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Crazycryodude posted:

That's not capitalism that's being good at hunting wtf

Then explain the little hat, smart guy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Main Paineframe posted:

mostly the second, it's a way for absentee commercial landlords to deter squatters in vacant buildings

but it's also a convenient way to bypass all manner of tenant protections, because the "guardians" are treated as contractors with a "license to occupy" rather than as actual tenants. so illegal evictions and barely-inhabitable spaces abound. this theory likely has no legal force behind it, but local authorities are typically uninterested in prosecuting the agencies that write the contracts since these low-cost arrangements are convenient in an age of service cuts and shuttered agencies

on top of that, it's a tax savings for the owners because they can dodge business tax by reclassifying the buildings as domestic rather than commercial

It probably saves on insurance too. An unoccupied building can cost more to insure.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BonHair posted:

What's Gate's deal anyway? I get that he's a nerd who got extremely lucky, but it seems like most I hear about him is trying to do good stuff in Africa (including population control family planning/contraception) and 5G metalzone injections for mind control. Like, it seems like he's actually trying to not be a horrible person, but in they other hand

Some billionaires may be smart enough to realize that the collapse of society would be bad for them too. Not as bad as it would be for everyone else, but still unpleasant and inconvenient.

Bread and circuses (and not having 18 sickly children) keeps the underclass comfy enough that they won't make trouble. Raising the floor doesn't meaningfully harm billionaires, and helps keep them safe.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Complications posted:

When I was a young teen twenty years ago the family was looking to get a new car that would probably end up mine in six or eight years. We had a realistic assessment of statistics and figured I might bend it or get hit. One of the major considerations was that it be big enough that it wouldn't get outright destroyed by anything short of a semi since this was the middle of the big SUV craze. It ended up being a small SUV. I didn't need it, the worst that happened was a couple of parking lot bumps (I got one, I gave one). If I was the type to have kids and was thinking about a car to pass down to them in turn I'd have similar considerations in mind today.

American vehicle culture is hosed up.

SUVs are not safer than sedans though. It feels like they should be safer because they are bigger, but it's the same tinfoil and fiberglass over a steel cage as normal cars. However, having a much higher center of balance does make them more prone flipping over. And cost more in gas.

Get your future children a toyota corolla. Do they still make those? Or whatever the future equivalent is.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shame Boy posted:

Y'know giving them judge dredd powers over 78 square miles of land is also a kind of publicly funded incentive package if you think about it, it's just publicly funded with blood instead of money (also probably money)

There will be plenty of public funding through state and federal governments before long. Just make rooms for people on disability, old age pensions, and welfare. Replicate the whole private prison thing, but this time for the indigent. The state will be happy to pay to get those undesirables out of the city centers and out of sight.

It doesn't even need to be involuntary. The accommodations are spartan, but they are also new, clean, safe, and vermin free, so more attractive than a lot of poverty housing. Guaranteed to provide the menu plan, accommodations and healthcare your government pension can afford, with no hassle or worry. You are free to leave any time you like. Your accommodations are a company town in the middle of the Nevada desert 200 miles from anything, but you are free to leave any time you like.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Carthag Tuek posted:

gooncorp when?

We should finally bring Victory Cities to life.
http://fishmech.info/www.victorycities.com/benefits.html

I love Victory City

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

Cook it like pasta with excess water and draining and you can cut the arsenic content by two‐thirds.

Also, you can buy rice grown in a region with low soil arsenic.

Or buy parboiled rice. Already boiled once so it removes some of the arsenic and preserves more of the thiamin, niacin, biotin and pantothenic acid compared to white rice. In my experience it never turns out gummy either, which is good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parboiled_rice

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shame Boy posted:

"I'm from a relatively sane country where we simply make people join the military" is quite the take. I mean I agree that it's still sane vs. the US in pretty much every other aspect but lol

If you make everyone join the military the public may be less supportive of pointless meatgrinders. Defend the homeland, sure. Send kids your kids halfway around the world to fight for oil profits? Nah.

Probably harder to get people to idolize veterans if everyone is a veteran, lol. Like trying to lionize high school graduates.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

meals are 30 minutes but you can usually agree with your manager that the 10 minute break can be skipped and rolled into it for a 40 minute snack fest. if you want to take a longer lunch then, per the contract and general understanding with management, you will need to flex your day to work a full 8 hours (or make up the hours on another day that your manager agrees to).

it's not like you have to check in every six minutes. it's just that the granularity of the tracking is to the tenth of an hour.

it's all bad but it relies on your manager giving a poo poo. I've had some that care a LOT and others that don't know poo poo about dick.

Everyone is confused because originally you said,

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

at my job we have to log time down to the 10th of a minute.

Which would mean logging your time down to 6 second increments.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shame Boy posted:

The massive R&D budget clearly went in to making those physical buttons that automatically buy more toilet paper or whatever

Don't forget Lumberyard, a game engine based on Cryengine 3, used to make such famous games as Star Citizen.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shame Boy posted:

Well I can't possibly think of a reason that won't work, thank god we're covered for the inevitable climate change food shortages.

Would it really make a difference either way? I don't know anything about the program, but surely the strategic reserve wasn't more than 1 year's worth of food, right? Probably much less. Designed for a blip like a crazy huge weather anomaly or corn blight or something seriously disrupting food production in a few states for a year or two, not a gradual but relentless ongoing global climate catastrophe that will render vast swaths of farmland permanently barren.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eat This Glob posted:

i write for a living and my primary audience is well-educated stemlord types. im not a stemlord, but my boss has been in the industry for over 30 years so he knows the subject matter inside and out. my first week there he told me to keep the language plain and don't assume anyone knows what im talking about even if you think it is common knowledge. he relayed a story where some dude said he liked a story but didn't know what NASA was, so every time I write about NASA or any other acronym I spell it out first, even poo poo like scuba. basically the inverse of artsy grad school writing

Isn't that basic Writing 101 high school knowledge though? I was taught that the first time you use an acronym in a piece of writing you always spell it out. Even for common ones. So you'd write "The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) reported that blah blah blah" and then for the rest of the piece you'd just use CIA.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Bloop posted:

They would probably tell you to gently caress off

Coin flip on whether you get the sandwich

You would get the sandwich. The gimmick is that anyone already making more than 10 bucks an hour won't waste 30 minutes redeeming the coupon. Dealing with a handful of smart alecs isn't a problem

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Those outfits are banging tho. But maybe anything looks good if you're confident enough to where bright red skinny pants.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spuckuk posted:

Now im wven more confused. Americans have walls that arent brick?

LOL, brick walls. Our houses are made of this:

To either side of those studs we attach some other material, usually drywall for interior walls. Drywall is basically a sheet of plaster with a sheet of paper stuck to both sides.

So for interior walls, like the walls between apartments, townhouses, semi-detached units, etc., there will be like 1/2 an inch of drywall, a 4 inch air gap, and then another 1/2 an inch of drywall. If your neighbour snores you will know about it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Biplane posted:

What made people accept this?

It is a lot faster and cheaper to build this way.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Our ancestors heard the story of The Three Little Pigs and thought, "A house made of sticks, what a grand idea."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shwqa posted:

A fisted size rock and a decent hurl in the right place would probably be enough.

I'm always disappointed in horror movies when people are "trapped" in a room. You can literally punch a hole through drywall. There are memes about it. The drywall can't contain you.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

euphronius posted:

punching through studs and wires is harder

Yes. Many angry young men have accidently found a stud while having a temper tantrum.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

spacetoaster posted:

Well, there's usually some kind of siding (such as brick) on the outside you gotta get through.

My new building has steel siding. :smuggo:

On a lot of houses it is plywood covered in plastic and then vinyl siding. You can't punch your way through but it's not impossible with tools. A window would be easier though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spuckuk posted:

For reference, my lovely little UK terrace house was built in 1913 and is still incredibly structurally sound.

I tried to drill some holes in one of the exterior walls to mount stuff and it just ate the drill bits

Do you not have adhesive hooks on your side of the pond?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Orange Devil posted:

Are McMansions built out of the same bullshit?

Yes. For a given amount of money you can have a huge flimsy mcmansion to impress your friends right now, or a really solid modest family home that will still be in great shape in 50 years.

Some Mcmansion stuff seems below baseline construction. Like pillars and molding molded out of foam. It looks okay when new, but how is a foam pillar going to stand up to a family running around, or someone bumping into it while moving heavy furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Plank Walker posted:

maybe i'm a beta cucked low t male but i'd probably buy deodorant and soap that advertised just a normal looking woman being like "this smells pretty nice :shobon:" instead of whatever the gently caress is going on in mens grooming marketing these days

Missing the good old days when all guys had to do was shave and get drunk because you're already brilliant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD6z64aov3o