Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Data Graham posted:

Will this be the final season of Better Call Saul?

Renewed for season 5, so one less thing to worry about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm going to miss the "gently caress Chuck" posts this season, they were always welcome in the threads for past seasons.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Selachian posted:

My impression was that the Madrigal thing was intended to be a bullshit no-show job, except Mike's temperament doesn't allow him to just sit at home and collect paychecks; if they call him a security consultant, he's drat well going to consult on security.

That's very much my take on it, I'd be shocked if Lydia knew he was doing that ahead of time and I'd expect her to be quite irritated by it.

A fun premiere, and there's some stuff I know is coming up in the next few episodes (because I read a season preview kind of article by a critic who was sent a few episodes in advance) that I'm really looking forward to.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

That was some smooooooth television. Do you think Gus will thank Nacho, or make him some sort of scapegoat?

Seems just like good knowledge to file away and use if he ever has a need to put Nacho under his thumb. It's a risk even using it to threaten Nacho since doing that and not just turning him in to the cartel is an indication of how deep Gus' hatred for Hector goes.

I also think people overestimate how long they'd want to spend with Gene, I view it more as a few episode arc at most, similar to BB after Ozymandias. Also by the time you get to Gene you have none of the Mike/Cartel stuff, all the other characters are out of the picture unless they come back, so to me it's not something I personally want to spend anything close to a season ruminating on, and you can do a really good 2 episode tight and thrilling resolution to the character's overall story.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I didn't get the wall of gently caress Chuck posts at his funeral, you disappointed me thread.

Even as full-blown Saul we only ever saw him do evil poo poo when it benefited him, most often financially, so I can't really wrap my head around how stringing up Hamlin helps Jimmy, unless it's some kind of misdirected anger play or it'd somehow help Kim in a major way.

It's a drat shame Jimmy couldn't figure out how to live as a good lawyer and person. The retirement home settlement down the line, the sweet Davis and Main job, after being in a real poo poo situation when the show started he really had every chance to do good. Hell he even got screwed the other way by being too good to take the massive pile of money Mike was able to steal in typical smooth Mike fashion, and that was with the insane criminal luck of getting to know a guy willing to commit crimes but with a code of honor to not just walk off with an insane payday once he's got it.

Also I'll call it now, Chuck's will donates all his assets to HHM, and Hamlin's going to try to offer some of that to Jimmy and it's going to just be ugly and awkward as hell. My second choice would be that he willed it all to some legal defense fund or legal clinic, or just straight to the classic ACLU, but I think they want to tie it all back to the firm and it's a neat out for Hamlin to not owe the money. He probably updated the will just a few days before he died too, we just didn't see him do it, and I'd be totally down for a flashback to Chuck meeting with an attorney to change the will and see him altering it so Jimmy gets one last insult hurled his way where previously he was getting a large portion of Chuck's assets, including his house.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Aug 8, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Definitely expecting Lydia to do something that's totally not Mike's style and that will piss him off, though I expect that to happen once he's actively working as Gus' right hand man. Like it'll start with her being pissed off that he actually came in and did work, but there's going to be a major incident between them that basically has them staying out of each other's business to keep a kind of peace, probably on Gus' orders.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

DaveKap posted:

Finally watched the episode, was waiting for the payoff, and the payoff was fantastic. Came to thread, saw people enjoying it and saw people complaining about what the show is. So, okay, how about it's 2 shows and they're both really good? That's what it feels like to me anyway.

So Gus mentioned the DEA. What are the chances we see Hank before the season ends?

I hadn't even considered that but it would make sense to introduce him as part of the cartel side of the story. I think if they want to do a full-on breaking bad cameo this season he'd be the most sensible one to weave into the story. Seeing a pre-season 1 BB Hank would be quite a trip, given the arc he went through as a character.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

So that was the "Best Actress Emmy, Please!" scene, right?

I mean, you're not wrong. Throw her a nomination at the very least please! Hope Rhea gets just all the good roles after this, want it to put her on the map the way Breaking Bad did for Cranston and Paul.

I was also not expecting her to come down so hard on Howard and I hadn't thought about the timing of it, though I absolutely should have since I had someone lay some heavy poo poo on me the day I found out my only uncle died, and they absolutely knew I'd just found out but still thought hey, this is the time to get on his case. That's just a real fragile time, and Howard really was a dick to lay that out there right then.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Well, Gus didn't waste time playing that card.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I had a bad feeling as soon as ponytail gang member said to Nacho they were getting six when they pulled up.

Interesting too that the 6 kilos is kind of a misdirect for when they ambush comes, since Gus had to have been planning to kill that guy and tell Nacho he works for him now no matter what went down at the meeting.

I also think Kim's underestimating how much Jimmy likes having money, yeah it's one last screw you to him from his brother but I can see him just turning down the scholarship board and taking the simple money to avoid having to think about his brother again. I'm also convinced that Jimmy could have walked out of that will meeting with Howard with $100,000 in his pocket at minimum, if he talks to him after Rebecca leaves the room and Kim backing him up and running down Howard. I shudder to think what Jimmy could extract from someone who's still wracked by grief, feels super guilty, and is asking "what can I do to make it right?" Odenkirk described Saul on the insider podcast as a knife who goes through people and takes their money, and that seems to be very much where Jimmy's head is at now.

I guess Breaking Bad was also full of those little moments where if one person had been at a particular scene or involved in a plotline the whole story changes drastically.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 14, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Gah you guys got to it before I could edit it out, I missed the Hummel at the copy shop and with him looking up what looked like the alpine shepherd boy my mind went right to him robbing his old client. Made the connection back to the copy shop later when I saw it brought up in a review of the episode. Whoops!

I guess weirdly messing with clients or even former clients is a line Saul seemed hesitant to cross, unless it was a real "sophie's choice" of helping one client at the detriment of another, so even on that basis I was way off jumping to that conclusion.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 14, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Rejecting the copy job is harder for me to decipher. Maybe he's upset that no one's calling him on his bullshit now that Chuck's gone? Maybe it was too easy for him? It's harder for me to get a read on it when he took the time to go apply for the job in the first place. Doesn't have to lie to Kim about getting an offer and being productive during the day.

I guess the easiest read is that he's still off balance from Chuck's death. I'm hoping they discuss what might be going through Jimmy's head there during the insider podcast.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 14, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Hat Thoughts posted:

On the behind the scenes on the AMC website Odenkirk's take is that they remind him of his dad w/ their willingness to buy anything

Ah that does make a lot of sense, I'd chalk it up to some of Chuck's last words messing with him and a lot of that too.

MisterDuck posted:

There is definitely a deliberate shot of Kim eyeing her thermos in the scene where Jimmy makes her breakfast where she says "I'm good."

I'm not enough of a show expert to remember thermos ownership, but Jimmy takes it with him when he goes out: she's looking at the thermos and Jimmy's lunch there. If anyone remembers deeper thermos meaning lay it on me, the only connection I can make is that she was maybe using a thermos a lot when she was burning away at 150% efficiency sleeping in the car and showering at the gym.

My take on that scene now is that Jimmy wanted to wake Kim up and talk to her, probably to put on a good show of being normal and make sure she knew he was going out there looking for work. He kind of gives it away when you see his face briefly when he's doing the dishes. He's always wanted to present himself as a success to her, as seen when he went to great lengths to make the payments on their office.

Man so many little things to notice on this show, good grief.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

My two favorite things in this episode:

1) Jimmy's car bottoming out when entering and leaving the copy place parking lot. We see it happen when he arrives, but at the end of the scene he just drives off camera and we hear the CHUNK CHUNK. That's a really great way to aurally bookend the scene and somehow works as an effective segue into the next scene despite being an auditory smash cut SCENE OVER GO NOW.

2) I wonder how many times Bob and Rhea had to mac down on the couch before they got the goldfish to swim over into the shot juuuuuuuust right. Probably 40 or 50 tries I bet. I'm sure that shot is a split screen being hidden by the camera focus, but it's fun to dream :shobon:

Calling it now, that's a visual effect fish. They got super lucky on that miracle hummingbird or whatever on Breaking Bad, but for couch macking I bet they just cgi'd up a fish.

As for Mike ending up working for a psycho, I very much get the impression that Gus keeps that level of savagery under wraps and only busts it out when he gets really pissed off and sees things not going to his plan. A real bad thing happened to Hector and he didn't do it? Better go kill a guy in front of the guy who did it and make him pay for stealing that revenge from Gus, and gain a tactical advantage alongside it. Gail got killed? Better go kill a henchman for a low-level screw-up since I'm super pissed off, and hey send a message along with it.

Remember when Victor gets killed in Breaking Bad Mike is surprised as hell and even points his gun up at Gus in shock for a moment. I'm sure to that point he saw Gus as a professional operator who (we now know) shares his dislike of the cartel, works to keep innocents out of the game, and takes care of his guys. Walt was also very much impressed and taken in by Gus initially, and it was really only all the dramatics with Jesse that soured the relationship between them. Even with Walt knowing about how Gus went after his brother in law, I think there was enough money dangled in front of him that he would have been kept smoothly under Gus' thumb, though then again once the cartel wanted Gus' cook who knows how the hell that goes if it was somehow only Walt cooking and Jesse wasn't in the picture at all, though who knows maybe we could have gotten a glorious Gus/Heisenberg teamup of the Cartel takedown, Walt makes a chemically pure antidote for Gus to take beforehand and help counteract the superpoison...

Oh for the good times those two murderers could have had, it'd be a far less dramatic show and the worse for it, but it renews my desire for "what if" scenes to be made in basically all the media I enjoy.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

If they spend a season on Saul's side of Breaking Bad coming up with new little details, while all the other characters on Jimmy's side of the story have fallen by the wayside as part of that transformation and been replaced with more on his typical clients and the team he puts together, and it all comes together well and forms into a really good season, then I think that'll be one of the most impressive feats I've seen from a T.V. drama to shift in tone and characters that drastically. It's like if E.R. got rid of most of its cast instead of maybe one or two a season and switched to being a cop show and was still super good.

My prediction for the season is that by the end we see Jimmy on the very cusp of becoming Saul entirely, Mike fully on Gus' side and having killed some cartel flunkies at his request or done some other grand plan that greatly tops their previous collaborations, Kim and Jimmy broken up, and Hank making a quick appearance in the finale setting up him investigating the Salamancas due to the chaos created by Hector being taken out. Not a lot of that is too bold, but I really get the feeling they went all-out and created a super intriguing finale to top their previous ones. Seasons 2 and 3 had some pretty solid cliffhangers set up, but I just feel in my bones that where they leave things at 4 is going to be full-blown bananas, and them getting an early renewal furthers my belief in that.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

timp posted:

Holy poo poo. How did I not see Gale coming. This is loving great.

I wasn't expecting it just because Gale's actor has been killing it on Billions lately with a big ol' beard and I didn't think they'd be able to get him or maybe wouldn't want him with a beard on, but they made it work and man it was fun to see him. It makes sense that you could get just about anyone for what had to be a literal one day of shooting though.

Also someone said earlier that Gilligan and co. don't waste time on dropping shoes and boy they didn't here with that letter. Between seeing Jimmy be so cold and being overwhelmed with Mesa Verde the best I can hope for her is that she severs from Jimmy and I dunno, hires a few more paralegals to held handle her workload for awhile, at least until she's back up on her feet. The letter was also basically what I expected, having it be from when they were on far better terms was a smart way to go.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think sometime in the next three episodes we're gonna see the return of Viktor and Giselle.
I'm fully on the "Kim hitches her ride to Jimmy's crime wagon because she doesn't want to dedicate her life to a bank expansion" train.

There's a very real possibility that the writers will decide it's a more interesting move if she stays with him through becoming Saul. even though that'd fly in the face of all sorts of behavior we saw from him in Breaking Bad. I really hope that we basically are at full-bore Saul by the end of the season, I'm super curious about those early days of Saul Goodman and how they impacted the other characters we've seen on the show.

I don't think we're getting her just ending the relationship and moving away, which is what I thought the outcome would be in the early seasons. They've built up her Mesa Verde guilt too much for that smooth of an exit. Now I think she just spikes her law career and does something that Saul sees as a betrayal as well, and he's the one who leaves her while she's barely in a state to flip burgers or somesuch since she can't handle the responsibilities and stress of the legal profession anymore.

I might be way off base on how her career goes, but the more I think of it Jimmy leaving Kim is actually the saddest way that relationship could end aside wilder big-deal plot developments like "Kim is suddenly addicted to a drug."

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 21, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Cast on all day is some hardcore stuff, I totally thought it was just some typical hollywood prop stuff that could just snap on and off. I guess if people were really paying attention they could spot something more fake, but still. It's like I appreciate the effort, but it makes me feel bad for Rhea while also being even more impressed that she just rolled with it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Shitenshi posted:

Gus should show some fuckin gratitude. Nacho was decent enough to take aim and give Hector a fate worse than death. Mike's involvement with him should be the icing on the cake. He's got two new lackeys with similar aims and are willing to go on the down low to get poo poo done. Use the friendly manager persona with them, not the rear end in a top hat drug lord.

I buy him being in rear end in a top hat drug lord mode since Hector is suffering and it's not his fault. If he could have convinced Nacho to do the pill swap he'd be over the moon and Nacho would probably be incentivized to work for Gus as his guy in the Salamanca side of the operation, paid a lot of money, and given jobs that don't require to get shot up.

I've pointed it out before, but Gus' big weakness that got him killed was his vendetta against Hector, so while it's been a short-term strength to put Nacho under his thumb and possibly influence Mike to keep working with him, I also don't trust him to keep a clear head when Hector is involved, unless it's when Hector's dancing to his tune like what happened when he came to Pollos Hermanos. I think that scene had by far the most we've seen of Gus actually happy, and not just putting on some fake nice-guy manager smile and persona.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I read a review that didn't like the flashback leading into the group therapy scene and then seeing therapy again later and what actually went down before his dialogue there, but I think it added a lot to it. You can interpret where his head's at on Matty a few different ways, but I think he's still thinking about him all the time, and when the faker comes in he can't stand someone faking the loss that he's living with every day.

Interesting though, that flashback in particular made me think of when Mike is there somberly helping them dispose of the kid that Todd shot, and I think by that point he's done and seen enough horrible stuff that this is just one more bit of black on an already black canvas. There was that other parallel to that situation too earlier when he goes to find the body of the good samaritan who got killed by the Cartel and "wasn't in the game," and of course you can't get much more out of the game than being some random kid out on a bike who sees the wrong thing.

I'm hoping they really build out the transition for Mike on where he ends up, because right now he's still got a long way to go until he's willing to kill just about anyone who needs killing and continue working with someone who's killed an innocent kid.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I don't think it'll turn into a meeting place, but I do think it'll lead to lots of criminals coming for burner phones, maybe with some referrals his way from the vet. It's also like the perfect wording to attract criminals but still be played off innocently and fly under the radar.

I think unlike Davis and Main we're going to see Jimmy's new boss really like his idea and the increase of foot traffic in the store that comes with it. It's lower stakes than a law firm and a much smaller impact from his actions, just watch the paint off and there you go. It's also a nice reminder of how inventive Jimmy can be and how if he just was willing to live a moral life he would have absolutely been successful, it just would have taken a bit longer.

I can totally see the cell store scenes being a lot of fun going forward as Jimmy makes criminal contacts and runs it as his own little feifdom, which corporate is fine with since it was doing awful business before he arrived.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Need to get really smart J-ru and not watch the show at all until it has completed its entire run. It's the only sensible thing to do.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I bet he was having echoes of A Few Good Men when he was grilling Chuck on the stand at his bar review hearing.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

911 works differently on TV unless explicitly stated.

There's that explanation, and I also don't need a see it to assume that Nacho's dad takes him to a bedroom, cleans up any mess/blood that may be around, and then calmly tells the officers that it was a false alarm situation. It's only a step above assuming that Jimmy drove his car to work without seeing it, like it's not a difficult practical problem to solve and while it could be a somewhat tense scene there are better scenes to whip up.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I like the way this episode played with my heart even knowing Jimmy ends up as Saul. Seeing his plan work right up until it didn't because he stayed out there too long on his own, then through a combination of being scared by that, acknowledging that he's past his criminal prime, and being nurtured by Kim deciding to stay on the up and up and go to therapy, and then he runs into Howard to put him off therapy and later perhaps for the first time solidify his intention of becoming a criminal lawyer when he's got his law license back, while still thinking he can work like that alongside Kim.

This episode really had everything: Gus being the calculated professional, Kim being the best lawyer in either Breaking Bad or BCS but seeing her career about to crumble, and Jimmy going back and forth like I described above. A really fun episode and I'm expecting great things for the last few episodes of the season.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus I never thought it was possible Howard could look terrible, but he looked loving terrible.

Howards actor was killing it there, like usual. That little hesitation where he's like "no, I dumped too much on Jimmy before not gonna do it again, let's just leave it at that" was real nice.

Also Saul is talking about his secretary needing a lawyer and hands her a card, saying "tell them Jimmy sent ya." Could be the first hint of where Kim ends up by Breaking Bad times. Defense attorney maybe, representing people who usually aren't major scumbags like Saul's clients?

Then there's whatever is up with that "Be at a phone (probably a payphone from the sound of it?) on November 12th at 3 p.m." instruction Saul gave her...

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 4, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I miss a lot of stuff but that Howard bit was a pretty clear throughline to me.

My only new read on the Superlab architect storyline was that Gus already had a drat good idea how tough it would be and the challenges he was facing, and just wanted someone who wasn't going to sugarcoat it while also having the skills to execute it and the moral flexibility to do a shady job and be flown in to do it. I credit Gus with having the intelligence to really do homework on the property and as the property's owner it seems like a cakewalk to have it checked out legitimately even if he just says he's thinking of building in a basement level. Hell if he doesn't want to do that just DIY it himself and read up on the basics so that even if he doesn't have the expertise to build it he knows how to run the tests. My gut says that he had it inspected on a legit level while not really mapping out exactly what his plans are to that architect/engineer, then brings in the foreign expert to do it all completely off the books.

As has already been brought up the first guy's brief testing of the area, optimistic no blasting plan, lack of detail/thoroughness (not talking about reinforcing the building before really digging in), and lack of discretion by talking about a former job he did were all marks against him. Pointing out he'd done work for a drug cartel may also have been a big negative since Gus certainly wants to keep his operation/plans hidden from the cartel, so any connectivity there is a big downside.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

The Human Crouton posted:

That's what I'm most looking forward too as well. Moving the dirt out is the hardest part, I think. You couldn't even cover it by doing a legit expansion to cover all of the hardware moving in and out because you'd have city inspectors all over the place.

I think if you get the right people to truck it out who won't ask questions you can probably get away with it as long as you keep doing it at like 2-4 a.m. each night. Don't know who is going to decide to call the cops because a dump truck is loading up with dirt.

I do want to see how they solve all these problems and watch the lab start to come together, seems like a fun little thing to see Gus' plans working like a smooth and well oiled machine. I also get even more of a kick out of how full of himself Walt was after killing Gus as we see more and more of Gus' top-tier meth kingpin planning.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

AKA Pseudonym posted:

That actor really sold the hell out of being carsick, grouchy, shady, and competent. I also love how there's a place in Gus' cartel for people who aren't icy badasses. If you're good at what you do you can work for Fring even if your a goof like Gale or a pukey German engineer.

Yeah Gus' talent scouting and willingness to work with people outside the normal avenues of the criminal lifestyle was one of his big strengths. He was always very much the scalpel to the Cartel's hammer. Even bringing Walt on board was a great scouting decision on paper he just didn't know how far his loyalty to Jesse extended.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'd say just deport them, killing them probably creates more questions/attention than just shipping off some Mexicans back to Mexico.

I totally forgot about that, goddamn what a dumb and rear end in a top hat move that was. I mean, Gus was going to plot to kill Walt or Jesse one way or another and probably turn the other to just cook for him, but drat Walt just kept needling him and making that seem more and more like the right call.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Cnut the Great posted:

No it wasn't. Nothing about that moment--not the way it's written, not the way it's acted--indicate that it's anything other than Walt making a major concession against his own ego in order to win Jesse back. At that point Jesse can cook every bit as well as Walt can, and Walt knows it. He's not acting.

This is exactly my point with people just going "Walt's an evil rear end in a top hat and that's it" and misunderstanding crucial aspects of the show because of it.

How does it stand? You just undermined your sole supporting point.

Walt wants Jesse to be every bit as good as him. Jesse is his protege. He's the one who's going to take over his empire and keep pumping out Blue Sky after he's gone.

Walt grooming Jesse as a successor is an angle I hadn't really thought about, I was more fixated on the surrogate father/son dynamic, but that is an interesting take. I fall more into the "Jesse's the second best cook" mindset as there are many instances of Walt losing his poo poo when Jesse talks about (or is proven to be) a good cook on his own, and that kind of behavior goes against the "I'm grooming the guy who will continue my meth legacy" interpretation. I think he may have had that intention of grooming him early in their relationship where he was acting more like a teacher, but Jesse's behavior probably put that thought out of his head, on top of them constantly getting into high-stress situations that needed to be resolved and Walt had bigger things on his mind at those times.

I have to respectfully disagree though on your stance that Walt wasn't putting on an act when he started bickering with Gale. He's gotten Jesse to agree to come back into the fold and cook in the lab with him in return for half the money because he's a huge liability if he's left out there cooking on his own. To that end, he needs to start laying the groundwork for why Gale isn't working and Jesse is the better partner, so he starts nitpicking or manufacturing grievances. Jesse's just threatened to roll on him and is putting Walt's dream meth job in the Superlab at risk, at that moment Walt's just trying to keep himself safe and tossing Gale out to do it. I certainly recall him enjoying working with Gale quite a bit, that doesn't suddenly turn into real animosity because Jesse is forcing Walt to keep him close and in line, and likewise that situation doesn't foster Walt's respect for Jesse at that time. It seemed pretty cut and dry that Walt was creating issues with Gale when none were really there, and in my book that's an act.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

There's specifically a montage of Walt and Gale cranking out meth and drinking supercoffee and playing chess in the lab, I would think that's the absolute highlight of the entire series as far as Walt's concerned. If Jesse had moved to Alaska and built boxes right then they'd probably still be down there making poison for people who don't care.

Once again I really want to see an alt-universe episode that's just Salud but with Gale never being killed, Jesse just peacing out or being given a payoff by Walt to just leave town forever before he gets pissed at Gus' dealers, and Walt being compelled to go down to Mexico instead of Jesse. I mean Walt being maximum :smug: as he walks them through his cook, probably hamming it up and putting on a classic Heisenberg act that he's totally fine with being in Mexico forever, etc. I'm a fan of the show Billions as well and there's an episode where two high-power characters who had been constantly working against each other team up and just everything flows super well and they get out of a tough situation, and I would have loved to see Gus and Walt on the same side and working on a more complex problem than "here's an amazing lab now go cook Meth in it."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Kim's hair in that flashback scene was super well done. I liked that it had a fancier, more work put into it and younger vibe while also looking dope as hell, and in present day she's basically just throw it in a ponytail and go.

drat the snippets in the preview have me excited too, we seem to be moving forward in time quite a bit and this is a good point in the story to do it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

BCS has also given me a new appreciation for Saul's ability to work out solutions and have the connections to help Walt and Jesse in most situations, but not all of them. He can come up with schemes when they're in his wheelhouse and there isn't a huge "fix this or we're all screwed" problem, but he's lost the ability to quickly come up with stuff that's only slightly shady and not super Saul slimy. I'm thinking particularly of when they want to buy the car wash and his ideas to get Bogdan to sell are to threaten him mob style, get immigration on him, or label him a terrorist, but I feel like Jimmy would have hit on the EPA/chemical contamination idea right there in the room.

And I should have realized that of course Howard is paying the full partner's share out to Chuck's estate, and between that and his guilt HHM would be spiraling downward fast. I guess Chuck's craziness being outed during Jimmy's hearing and subsequent death did more damage to the firms reputation than I expected too, unless Hamlin has just been punting cases left and right, which is also a distinct possibility.

Kim bumping right over to that partnership was a smart move that I really wasn't expecting, it really is the perfect career move that just happens to unfortunately crush Jimmy's dreams, and unless Jimmy does something to really mess Kim up it certainly seems like she's finally got her work life in a good balance at last. I mean, partner at a law firm you're probably still working 70 hours a week easily, but she can probably scale that down to something more like 50-60 hours, offload work to the associates, and still take the time to do public defender work.

I'm so glad they made this show and didn't just stop at Breaking Bad, so many times they do a spin off or prequel to a show and it just fizzles (How ya doin' Joey?) but this has been a Frazier level spinoff success in my book, even if it isn't a ratings juggernaut.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 11, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

precision posted:

what if they do something like throw continuity out the window and make this an alternate side-universe to BB

i would love it if they had the balls to do that. do something crazy like kill off Gus or Mike and make it so that the end state is not a known quantity anymore

I can't approve of any side universe except my dream side universe of Gus and Walt not pissed at each other and working together to take out the Cartel as we saw in 'Salud' :colbert:.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

drat that was some intense Kim and Jimmy stuff there, holy cow. She might actually have a full-blown meltdown when he gets his license back and commits fully to being Saul Goodman: Criminal Lawyer.

I was sure it was the end there in the parking lot, but that scene right after was just so, so sad with Kim just trying to compensate for her guilt with school supplies for kids.

It's also an interesting case because Huell actually has a good justification to get little or no jail time, but he's getting railroaded because he committed a crime against a cop and the only witness is sleazy Saul.

Tenzarin posted:

They gonna make him look retarded to make it look better for him.

Ah I hadn't thought of that, but with all those other cases she was citing that actually seems like what her idea would be. I don't know if she'd be willing to do what is like, the Sauliest of Saul defense strategies though.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I mean, given the show it's more likely that Gus arranges for the blast to go off in Kai's face or in a way that he tries to rush in to abort it and fails, and then the crew rallies around finishing the job in his memory.

I think before something like that happens we'll see Mike's R&R plan, which is bound to be pretty wild.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

That sound Kim made as she tried to talk after Jimmy laid the whole burner phone/Huell situation on her... Rhea Seehorn is so loving good.

I was shocked that Jimmy put so much of it out there, how he'd been selling burners and all that. I think their relationship has to be ending this season unless the writers aren't true to the characters, especially with how we saw the relationship just kind of idling during the montage.

There's only so many costs to be sunk before Kim wises up and lets Jimmy go be the Saul he wants to be. I'm also expecting Kim's big speech to Jimmy during the breakup to top Kim yelling at Howard in the "Give Rhea Seehorn a drat Emmy or at the VERY least a drat nomination" highlight reel/scene to send to the academy.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I don't think they're staying true to Kim's character if she doesn't break up with Jimmy by the end of the season. Just based on what she knows he's become and how stagnant and separate the relationship was shown during the montage, I don't buy that Kim's that willing to just float on by and stay with a Jimmy who refuses to change and is repeating bad behavior. Being willing to flaunt the law, tear down a cop to get his guy out of trouble, etc. should really be the last straw.

With that said, I think the writers come up with an interesting way to keep her somewhat in Jimmy's orbit in season 5, which I expect to be the early days of the Saul Goodman lawyer times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Man Kim really went in a direction I wasn't expecting, from seeming to stress/guilt buy school supplies (though it's possible she had the scheme in mind and only called Jimmy because she forgot to right away), then kind of all over the map emotionally and finally just wanting to keep on slipping. Definitely wasn't what I expected, but it's certainly plausible that she got a thrill out of it having been a direct participant in it and doing it for what seems like a good cause (poor overcharged Huell).

Not sure where these next two episodes will go, all I can predict for now is that we see Jimmy open up a Saul Goodman law office (not necessarily his strip mall office), Lalo does some ruthless cartel thing, and someone on that Superlab crew is going to screw up and get killed or severely punished to send a message, probably poor Werner.