Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Peccadillo posted:

A mohel cuts the head of the dick, spilling blood from where the foreskin would have been

Example #3712 that the only difference between modern insane sex cults and established religions is time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Beetphyxious posted:

i thought i'd check it out, so you don't have to:

all i can see on the news feed for tonight is 3 serious people posting about brown peril and 3 or so joke signups promoting the benefits of communism

apparently if i earn enough points or something i can harass people in my postcode. i have no idea how that'll play out

Can you loving imagine the media's reaction if Labor had a platform like this.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

G-Spot Run posted:

I haven't been a moderator here but I have moderated and forums-managed in the past and this is the only response you should all be reading. When you wish to be a moderator a finger curls tightly into the monkey paw.

Yeah, anyone who has been a mod anywhere and is eager to do it is mad.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Lionhat seems like the type of dickhead who demands businesses let him pay with amex and then complains about the surcharge.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

No.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Standing next to Caleb at a street crossing. Please advise.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

He was talking to a woman so I decided it would be a shame to spoil his special day of the year.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Maybe this is lefty echo chamber talk but surely if they switch leaders to the potato they're absolutely hosed next election

Kinda tempted to dig into the archives and find peoples posts along the same lines from when Abbott was made leader of the Libs.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Essential Poll just before Abbott rolled Turnbull.

Abbott was much more popular then than Dutton is now, and Abbott winning the leadership was a bit of a fluke in itself. Plus Labor worked really hard at losing the 2010 election.

In the Auspol thread we were celebrating it as the Libs dooming themselves for a thousand years.

chyaroh posted:

This is gonna get interesting, Tony Abbot defeats Malcolm Turnbull by one vote, 42-41. Only took them 49 minutes, and Joe Hockey lost out in the first round. Will Rudd be able to keep a straight face for the next few weeks?

duck monster posted:

Australian politics just got hilarious.

Orkin Mang posted:

The sound you just heard was the collective cheering of the Labor party. I really didn't think they'd vote in Abbott and marginalise the party so dramatically, but here we are. What an awesome past couple of days.

Farmidillo posted:

Good luck Libs, you're going to need it with Tony "I hate women" Abbot in charge.

miss_chaos posted:

Oh my god, Abbot is going to get wasted by Rudd. This guy is going to be steamrolled on every possible angle.

Rudd's people will be having a conga line through the office at the moment.

Senor Tron posted:

I know Rudd has been pretty consistent in saying he wouldn't call a double dissolution, but this really makes it more certain for me he will drag out the election for as long as possible. Put up with more short term obstruction for longer term benefit of the Liberals losing more voters.

I'm laughing at the Liberal Party right now, but I'm not looking forward to Labor having complete control and seeing what things like the internet filter they push through.

miss_chaos posted:

Hockey's press conference is excellent.

Doesn't take much to see that he'll be waiting in the shadows for when Abbot self-implodes.

Happycataclysm posted:

As someone with a firm track record of voting Liberal (shock!), there is no way I could have voted for that oaf Hockey, and DEFINITELY not the backwards uber-conservative Abbot. The Libs have just laid down and hosed themselves out of the already minor chance they had for the next election.

I admittedly have a hard-on for Turnbull. I'm of the mind that he's a very clever, genuine, hard-working man and a great match intellectually for Rudd. The politics world just doesn't seem to be suited to his kind unfortunately, and he's leading a party of muppets which would have been endlessly frustrating. Sigh.

Rudd will likely get my vote this time around. The guy's a two-faced operator but at least he's clever and has a much firmer sense of reality than Abbot.

Hookshot posted:

I wish we still had the Embassy in LF

Abbott being leader is pretty hilarious. I can't decide if I want an election now, or if it would be better to give the Liberals a bit of time to understand what it's like to basically have a Republican (in the American sense, obviously) as their leader.

It's not a perfect analogy, but given the hell timeline we're living in I wouldn't be banking everything on Dutton losing the Libs votes.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

I love that people can present a coherent, evidence based argument that Abbott rolling Turnbull in 2010 is an absolutely garbage comparison to Dutton doing the same thing in 2018, and Auspol posters will still call the next election for Dutton.

Would you Toxx yourself for if it happens?

It probably won't, the evidence says it won't, but in a world where Brexit is happening, Trump is US president and Tony Abbott became PM anyone who rules anything out is mad.

edit: You already addressed it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

If he became leader wouldn't they parachute him into a safe seat?

Nah, doing that would be a sign of weakness.

Plus, it's hard to see a situation where Dutton retains his seat and the Coalition holds onto government, in which case he would be spoiled goods and they wouldn't want him sticking around.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quote:

The rearguard action comes as The Daily Telegraph can reveal top contender, Peter Dutton, assured Mr Turnbull in a private call he did not want to challenge — but wouldn’t rule it out.

A challenger leaking something like that out is pretty much standard procedure so they can later say "I didn't want to challenge but did it for the good of the country".
Here's hoping for a spill that keeps Turnbull in but with enough Dutton votes that Turnbull is bleeding right up to the election.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Blamestorm posted:

For someone like Dutton he might as well challenge, he’s gone otherwise in six or fewer months. The laughable part is that almost nobody believes it will do anything positive, I would imagine it’s more punitive at this point if it happens. But I think like Gillard at the end there will be a sense of throwing poo poo at the wall because action is better than inaction with looming electoral disaster.

The one possible upside of Dutton winning the leadership would be him having a good possibility of joining the short list of sitting PMs who have lost their seat.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bowmore posted:

Labor have been stable for a while despite rumours

Backbenchers in marginal seats would rather be in government with anyone as leader than out of a job with their preferred pick as leader of the opposition. As long as the Coalition continues to self destruct Labor will stay the course.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Oh gently caress yes get in.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I know it makes no logical sense but I reckon Bishop takes over and somehow wins the next election because Australia.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Malcolm Turnbull wins the leadership - 48 to 35

Sky News is reporting that Malcolm Turnbull survived the challenge.

But those numbers suggest that close to half the party supports Peter Dutton.

That is not good news for Turnbull moving forward.

We would expect Dutton to step down from the Cabinet now.

Someone start the countdown timer to the next spill.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Frantically trying to be relevant.

Over the past three years all Abbott has had is the dubious honour of being Turnbulls chief rival.

With Dutton now stepping up he slips even further into the dustbin of history and frantically has to try and find a way to be relevant to the press.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Zenithe posted:

What was Tones framed front page? Wasn't it something cringy as gently caress?

An Andrew Bolt column about how "Tony's the real deal".

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

Same with Rowe.

That's amazing.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Whether it happens tonight or in the morning at least we know Turnbull won't be sleeping well.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Peccadillo posted:

Didn't one of them happen at like midnight? I don't remember which

The 2015 spill against Abbott happened at 9.15pm but it was announced much earlier in the evening.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

Dutton just released full legal advice that he is eligible anyone got a copy?

Remember when Joyce had legal advice that made both him and Turnbull confident he was safe.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JohnCompany posted:

Won't they practically have to? If Dutton is ineligible they've lost their majority.

They could just go to a byelection. Although in that scenario if Dutton was party leader I can see a vote of no confidence getting up.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

norp posted:

Without the numbers in the house (including speaker) it doesn't matter if he's party leader.

Exactly.

Under normal circumstances you might see parties not try it during a byelection because they would worry about the public backlash. In a situation like this though, they would almost certainly go for it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If Dutton actually does have the numbers this is a bad day. I just want him destabilising things, not actually becoming our new Potato Minister.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Best headline/tagline combo for a while.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Periphery posted:

It'd be pretty hilarious if Trumball and a few other libs split from the LNP and created a coalition with Labor for the remainder of this term, thereby removing the Libs from power and denying Dutton his chance to be PM. I don't even know if that's possible but it seems like a logical extension of the farce that our parliament has become.

What's Labors motivation to join such a Coalition rather than pushing for an election?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Stacked their Pringles.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Stacked their scallops.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Lid posted:

I just realised this is way more likely than I jokingly suggested. It makes too much sense. I just scared myself.

I've been saying it for ages. She doesn't have the support of the right of the party but if they see the election as a lost cause and just want to try and stem the losses as much as possible then Bishop could seem like a good temporary choice. Assuming she takes it on (as she might see it as the last chance to do so) then a Lib election win isn't entirely impossible because the media will puff her up as the nice face of the party.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Raged posted:

Pretty sure labour would be running ads 24/7 featuring people affected by asbestos

Oh 100% certainly.

No matter what the Libs are unlikely to win, but I honestly think they would stand the best chance with Bishop.

It's a hilarious scenario that could see us right back here. The party puts Bishop in with the plan of replacing her post-election, but she someone manages to win it. After a couple of years the right of the party again agitates for change.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm at work and I just want to be drinking something delicious and sitting on the couch watching this unfold.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Looks like the adjournment will happen.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Schlesische posted:

gently caress Ooooooooooff Jeff Kennett.

He's saying a whole heap of nothing.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hollandia posted:

Kon is allowed some bad takes imo, being one of the most hardworking and visible advocates for refugee rights in a country that stubbornly and bloody-mindedly savages refugees at any opportunity is bound to break your brain after a while.

Yeah in this case he's definitely not arguing for accelerationism, I'd say he's more of the opinion that guys like Dutton are already defacto running the joint so at least him taking over would force people to face that instead of saying something like "Oh but Turnbull says such nice things".

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

And so the prophecy shall come to pass.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wonder if Turnbull will set foot in parliament again, will he quit immediately after the new leader is in place?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I thought Bishop was aligned with the moderate side of the party and the current poo poo show was instigated by the hard right.

Instigated by them, but supported by people terrified of losing their seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

rapeface posted:

I've watched more Australia television today than in the last five-ten years combined and I also have managed to not throw anything at my screen, even when this fuckhead wannabe Republican on ABC is complaining that the Liberal party has moved too far to the left.

Who was that guy? It was hilarious how he kept insisting the Libs needed to move more to the right but when asked if Australians actually wanted that started insisting that Workchoices style policies are actually centrist.

• Locked thread