Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Definitely wouldn’t get a beer with Paul. You might find out what he really thinks about you, or maybe he’d weep about his own unworth. At least early on. Later letters read much softer imo.

I heard a take on Paul that helped me wrap my head around him. I think it was from Ben Witherington III’s Paul Quest, which is a terrible title. The claim was that Paul was a terrorist/religious extremist and the only thing that changed about him was his allegiance. If anything, his encounter with Christ made Paul more himself (more zealous).

It takes someone extreme and maybe off putting to bring huge change. See also Luther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

CountFosco posted:

He went from persecuting a religious minority to being a nonviolent evangelist. To say that the only thing which changed was his allegiance is selling him a bit short imho.

I think it communicates his zeal well and maintains Paul’s personality. Non-violent evangelist rings a little mushy in my ears, maybe a little hippie. The star student of Gamaliel who thought murdering for God was a holy is going to remain a driven person who others see as too extreme. Works for me.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

That work, even if difficult, can be/is a mercy that dulls or distracts from other pains or worries in life. Had a boss tell me as much when I was in an especially rough spot. I hated my job there, but months of unemployment/mental issues were worse. Still had the mental issues, but I wasn’t focusing on them for at least 9 hours a day.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I know it’s Monday, and the homily was yesterday, but I feel bad for forgetting Brother Lawrence and The Practice of the Presence of God.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Not a Catholic, but Adam Blai (peritus for the diocese of Pittsburgh on demon stuff) mentions generational curses. Not sure where he stands from charismatic to not on that scale.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Did one of you mention Transhumanism a couple pages ago? I spoke to someone on their way to a “True Legends” conference. I asked a little bit about it and they were pretty guarded. I got them to open up a bit, but mostly they just said “look it up.”

Just now looked it up. :aaa:

Who are these people?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

So I guess this conference was a Christian Fundamentalist gathering against transhumanism. Topics included the holocaust of giants and how targeted ads can predict your desires, maybe even plant them (feelin’ gay?).

The US is bonkers.

Edit: https://gensix.com

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Tias posted:

So I'm still on my early christianity course, and we're reading Romans, which is a complete and utter trip. Pauls christianity is really clear and powerful when explained against the backdrop of gnostic and pagan ideas from his contemporary time.

One thing that bugs me, though: Paul says the problem of original sin is fixed by the sacrifice of christ, and that we have to die because of the original sin - but if we have to die because of original sin, why didn't we stop dying after the sacrifice of christ? Is this something that has eventually been retconned to happen at the Second Coming (this was my teachers take)?

Orthodox priest John Behr wrote a book called “Becoming Human” that is loosely about this. It’s been a while, but I think he claims Christ’s “It is finished” refers to the creation-act of bringing humanity into being. The rest I don’t know.

I liked it because you’re supposed to meditate on the book and the icons in it while reading. Behr is the “Father Georges Florovsky Distinguished Professor of Patristics” at his school, so that would fit well with your class if you need sources or something.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Alpha Mayo posted:

God provides for His children and it blows me away seeing how much He does for me every day since I've become a Christian.

I am still stuck on finding a church. I did not like the East Orthodox church I attended, not much Jesus talk and lots of incense and rituals, and almost no one talked to me despite being new. Tried a Baptist church last week and everyone was super friendly. I don't know their beliefs but will go back today.

Can anyone summarize the differences between the different Protestant churches? I am clueless but see the important of joining the Body of Christ now. Looking for a more conservative church to be honest.

I can’t do a great job summarizing all the denoms, because there are so many. Because you seem to be looking to hear more about Jesus specifically, and are looking for something more conservative, I’d check out a PCA church: http://www.pcaac.org/church-search/

I’m a member of the Presbyterian Church of (in?) America. They are more conservative than my own beliefs, but I’ve been to two in two states. Both welcomed me during difficult times in my life. Current pastors check in on me and my wife throughout the week. Ours is very much concerned with racial reconciliation and being good for our city. We’ve got great resources for kids and parents affected by disability. I recommend PCA, b/c despite my scruples, the two I’ve been to seem to be behaving as one should: pursuing peace, giving the weak a place to belong, not being politically motivated, etc. PCA churches also emphasize community, so there’s groups usually.

We’ve do liturgy, very much Christo-centric in sermons, etc. Feel free to PM me your state. If you’re near me, you’re welcome to come check it out, hang around, go to lunch, etc. I bet my pastor could even send a heads up to a church near you if you end up wanting to visit (if you want).

I’ll be praying for your journey. Finding a church is difficult.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Can someone summarize what’s going on with Ukraine, briefly? Is the Ukrainian Orthodox Church seeking independence from the Russian Orthodox Church?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Tias’ last response there was pretty charitable.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

On that note:

Reading some of the stories on r/relationships, legal advice, and personally knowing people etc., there’s a lot to be said for no alcohol/drugs, abstinence, forming intimate relationships later in life, and otherwise “clean living.”

Obviously, it doesn’t always work out and there’s two sides to everything, but as I age, I’m seeing how much potential trouble one can avoid early on. I just wish it was made a big deal that you can source this stuff from Proverbs (Wisdom), pursuing “The Good Life,” and avoiding pain later on instead of shame/guilt.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

For real. There’s a guy in my church whose church stood him and his wife up and publicly shamed them for going to...Sea World. Everyone could do with less of that.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

twerking on the railroad posted:

Yes I would like Catholic examples of this please

HEY GUNS posted:

i know you're largely culturally religious rather than practicing but there's a lot of stuff about how not to flip the gently caress out in orthodox and catholic writings

I’d like the Orthodox ones so I can talk to my Ortho friends. They’re always trying to convert us with podcasts.

Just spoke with my pretty conservative pastor about my dismay of 80% of Evangelicals voting in Trump, sustaining him now, etc. He’s also very upset (and ranted for a while :3: ) with the blatant hypocrisy from his peers/neighbors. I told him I’m thankful for our church, how we pursue racial reconciliation and care for our neighbors, those with disability. They really call for a wholistic belief system.

I also have to remind myself that political voting and beliefs do not define an entire person’s being. It’s upsetting how much I am tempted to hate and malign based on red/blue affiliation.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I wonder if churches that talk a lot about "answering God's call" tend to do worse with Millennials 🤔

My question in my head in response to this is what is God’s call and prove it. Airy, vague, abstract sermons kill me. Thinking about this makes me thankful for my pastors.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i was making a joke about millennials preferring text messages over phone calls :ssh:

I’m pretty dense. :eng99:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Ancient pick-up artist texts about negging demons to get girls?

Hilarious. The proto-incels.

Interesting assumptions:

A. Demons have power over whomever they chose, or you can grant authority over someone, or grant authority period.

B. You can just ring any old demon up.

C. That demon, who has enough power and influence to get someone to desire you, will totally not influence you.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I wonder, did the Church evaluate this person with their criteria of universal knowledge of language, secret knowledge, etc. or was it Dreher’s own Benedict Option community?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Mad Hamish posted:

I know a guy who's doing a re-work of Ars Notoria with the actual artwork, which is pretty amazing.

All the goetes I know are pretty hardcore and here I am just having done two experiments with Drawing Spirits Into Crystals. Sachiel is a total bro, yo.

I’m interested in hearing more about what you mean by hardcore. From my perspective, which is extremely limited, drawing spirits seems pretty hardcore. If you’re not supposed to tell, no worries.

My favorite part of this thread is hearing from so many different spiritualities. Feels like travel.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

As always, I think it really depends where you are. I’ve heard pastors not so subtly imply Catholicism will put you in hell, because you know, works. Most people I know now are interested in Ecumenicism.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

It’s hard for me to knock tracts too much because one converted my father in the 70’s. He was hitchhiking, likely high, and frightened the woman who picked him up in her limo. She kicked him out, gave him a tract, and he was somehow converted.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Job tells God that He’s unjust, unfair, this is all horrible, etc. Job demands God to personally answer Job’s questions. At the end of the book, God says Job was right. God wants us to voice our struggles and griefs God.

God made heaven and earth, universe. The universe includes all bodily functions, fluids, sexuality, blood, language, jokes. He searches and knows our souls, each dark corner.

Jesus pulled from fisherman to form his inner circle. No way those guys didn’t cuss like sailors. Wasn’t offended. Jesus did far more offending and rule breaking.

Pray away and hard. Those who seek find.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Some of the later letters in the NT refer to earlier NT letters as Scripture (I think Paul refers to Peter’s letters or vice versa). I can’t look up the reference rn or I would say where.

The early church def had Scriptures, and the eventual canonization was an affirmation of what already was there, not a new creation.

A good book on the subject, and the one I would pull off the shelf to look, is F. F. Bruce’s “New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable.” Combines archeological, historical, and inter-textual evidence to make his claims (which, imo, are good claims).

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Yo Ortho peeps. Just went to an Orthodox Vespers at a St. John of Chicago church. Loved when the incense was swung at me. Priest was not messing around, and that thing looked heavy.

In all seriousness, it was a wonderful time. Priest was super welcoming too. I have a lot of anxiety and seeing icons with swords was comforting. Nice for someone to actually have an image of Christ on the cross, rather than a feel good token/symbol. Chanting got me meditative.

I did wonder what the priest was doing going in and out of the doors with, I think, the Gospels on them?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Epicurius posted:

I'm not Orthodox, but are there churches that don't have Jesus on the cross hanging there?

Oh yeah. Where I am, the ones that aren’t Catholic/Ortho (not a lot of Lutheran here) just have a cross. A lot don’t have a cross. Could be an Evangelical thing?

There’s tons of prosperity crap where I am, too. So images of your God being tortured are probably out.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

anyway when the Beautiful Gates are opened it symbolizes God unifying with the people, since behind the gates = heaven and the nave of the church = earth. (there is in fact a whole Thing about what part of the church building symbolizes what. Rodrigo Diaz has it.) this is why they are opened for the Eucharist and the Gospel, because those are two ways God does that. This is also why they are always open during the Octave of Easter!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_doors

Awesome. Thanks.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Mad Hamish posted:

Controversial opinion: Psalms is terrible, Song of Solomon, Proverbs, and Ecclesiastes are where it's at. Ezekiel is the best of the OT prophets, Jeremiah can go piss up a rope.

I've read through the Bible twice and I feel that Matthew is the better of the Gospels, but I'm a filthy pagan so what the hell do I know, really?

Psalms ruuuuuuule. But I only believe that after I spent a month praying the Psalms instead of my own thoughts, and also after I was extremely depressed. I read Psalm 87 last night through https://universalis.com Night Prayer. So human and good.

Agree on SoS, Proverbs, and Ecc, of course. Big Solomon fan.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 2, 2018

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

BattyKiara posted:

Continuing my religious history.

May God shine His face upon you. Thank you for sharing your story.

It’s advent time! Anyone have any favorite readings? My church gave us all some, but it’s pretty unimaginative.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

BattyKiara posted:

Not a reading, but according to my Granny, the start of Advent is supposed to be a day of joy. And anything you do today that causes joy for others will come back to you fourfold next year. Which is a nice thing to think about, right?

Thats awesome and fun.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

the only dude itt who has read all of origen took a sacred vow to Mary to get off social media so we can't get the verdict on whether he thought we will become empyrean doughnut holes when we die

This might be the most niche topic I’ve ever come across.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

docbeard posted:

To be honest, what I come away from that picture with, speaking as a Protestant who has no particular views about Mary, is Mary offering Eve a simple "it's going to be all right" moment.

We need more of that, whatever branch of the tree we're on.

Exactly, and not only “it’s going to be alright,” but it is that way because she’s pregnant with God. The entire focus of the image is a baby bump, Eve’s hand is on the bump, Eve’s looking at the bump.

Mary as 2nd Eve doesn’t work in the same way as Christ the 2nd Adam, but it does work in the sense of disobedience vs. obedience/faith to God. Where Eve said no to God Himself, Mary believed “just” the messenger.

Even if the above wasn’t true, there’s no charity in him. Does every image have to be 100% accurate to your theology? He doesn’t even use icons. Whatever, man. I need to learn to not get enmeshed with nonsense

Re: Silk Robes, I don’t like how silk looks. Preference for wool and linens. Also, saw a documentary on how they make silk. The poor worms :(

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Hm, thanks for the information. I still definitely intend to read The Bible, don't worry. I'm just a guy who is constantly eager to learn stuff and there is so, so, SO much to learn about Christianity.

Truth be told some of my current religious interest was sparked by my philosophy interest in Aristotle and then Aquinas. I know that isn't teh correct basis for being a Christian though so I'm gonna read The Bible when I have the time and corret mindset. I like to learn but I also have a horrible time focusing.

“Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.”

All Truth leads to the one who is Truth. Many have found God through other means first. Want to know the most intelligent man ever (Jesus) and the one who is truth itself (the Father)?

I can hardly read my Bible or listen to teaching b/c mental issues. God still provides the church and my Christian family (the Spirit).

Sorry if I’m talking at you. The whole point is the doors got flung way open and they bought all the tickets already so :getin:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Christmas Jazz on Spotify slays (So do all the Lo-Fi playlists). But I love Christmas music and the mystery and the Aoelian modes.

Our church sang “...Oh Come Emmanuel” last Sunday. Pastor talked about how dark of a situation the song presents, and really dug into longing and the need for total Justice and Salvation. Satan’s tyranny, lonely exile, depths of hell, etc.

[quote= O come, O come, Emmanuel
And ransom captive Israel
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan’s tyranny
From depths of Hell Thy people save
And give them victory o’er the grave]
[/quote]

I love it and need it. I get hating the sugar dusted, noisy, too-bright-for-before-the-winter-soltice songs.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

stereobreadsticks posted:

I'm neither Catholic nor Chinese and I fully admit my ignorance but I'm curious if anyone here has a better informed opinion on the topics.

Also interested, if anyone is hesitating.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Worthleast posted:

Bp. Fulton Sheen makes the point that Judas expected the Messiah to be a bit more "cleanse the temple, drive out the Romans, reign for a thousand years" and became very disillusioned between Palm Sunday and Good Friday.

I may dig a bit and see what Aquinas says about it.

Seems like a pretty big conjecture. I like theories on Judas, but where’s the evidence? I wonder there is some early church legend re: Judas.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

Judas betraying Jesus seems weird to us perhaps but so do any number of incidents in the Bible where people were confronted with the supernatural and still made bad decisions.

Oof. Good point, and on into present day

I believe the God the Father Almighty, maker of space and time and nebulas and poo poo, but I’d still rather ignore all of Proverbs/Ecclesiastes, drown myself in hedonism, and ignore the Expert (creator) on humanity. :eng99:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Seen on a Lutheran church sign today:

"Baby God do do dododo do"

Really leaning into the Incarnation, I see.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

pidan posted:

My mom was planning to visit a relative who lives near me over Christmas and I'd have visited there too. Now she doesn't want to go after all and thinks I should visit her instead. Do I need to do that? Can I just go traveling instead?

Christmas is a cancer

You don’t have to.

Edit: You are not bound to anyone’s expectation or obligated to make others happy. You are not responsible for other’s emotions or desires. You are free to use your good judgment and choose how you see fit.

Especially if your mother backed out and she was your only reason for going.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 20, 2018

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

pidan's mom is mentally unstable which has been causing pidan some stress, she's mentioned it here before. The holidays make that extra :yikes:

pidan, do what you have to do for your own emotional well-being

pidan posted:

Thank you Hegel and pope of fun, I probably won't go, or only go to my other relative. It's a difficult situation. If you have a good family, be happy!

Didn’t know this about your mother, Pidan. That’s difficult. I wish I would have phrased more softly. Warm cheer to you and yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Tias, blót sounds way more fun than sitting around eating too much.