Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

It can still be a huge gently caress up and profitable.

Wow that's amazing you've been "working in the game industry" and thus you know that companies really focus on making great games. I'm sure you know nothing about being exploited for profit. Remind me again how positively your hours/pay compare to your profession in general?

Of course they care about Intellectual Properties reputation it's just that they're smart enough to also realize the people are so forgiving it's difficult to completely drag an IP down. I can't even think of an example although I imagine there's one.

What? A big event for publicity? Can't imagine why they'd do that. Oh no people booed and so forth guess they won't play it once it's out. (they'll totally play it anyway)

Why does every stupid thing Activision Blizzard does have to be some fiendish conspiracy rather than bog standard corporate greed/ineptitude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Artibuff and Drawtwo put out open letters basically saying the game is hosed unless Valve are willing to make One Last Push, and a really big one. Both basically say what everyone else has been saying all along about making the game f2p and to add some sort of ranked mode that doesn't involve buying tickets to play. For more specific tl;dr, Artibuff suggests a single-player event where you play against Roshan and a seasonal battlepass. DrawTwo doesn't add anything people haven't already been saying, but seems a lot lot lot less optimistic about the whole situation:

"Far more important than @PlayArtifact's Twitter activity (or lack thereof) is the fact that we still haven't received any updates from Valve on the fabled "million dollar Artifact tournament". One of the most obvious ways to draw new players into the Artifact scene would be to get pro gamers from other card games to start talking about and streaming the game, and the announcement of a Valve-sanctioned tournament would almost assuredly accomplish that. The troubling part about this is that there is a 0% chance that Valve isn't aware of how much it would benefit the community to announce this tournament."

I'd be surprised if they haven't either a) written it off and begun work on Artifact: Rebirth or b) written it off entirely by now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

There are several posts with 'X is what went wrong' with this game, including the obvious business problem, but I'm going to agree with you. The very same concept of making a 'faithful' DOTA recreation in card game, with 3 lanes, is a core problem (sorry Garfield). It means you are playing 3 games at the same time. That means:
-it makes games longer than people like
-it's more mentally draining to the player, having to have their attention divided in 3 boards
-it's less streamer friendly
-it makes the game less instantly engaging, as if for example a interesting situation is developing in board 1 with a combo being setup or a surprising twist, you can't continue directly the play, but that cool play is interrupted by having to visit board 2 and 3. I have seen some Artifact youtubers make some comments saying the game was good but sometimes... not that fun? I think this has to do with that feeling, in how the game is obviously strategically deep, but it things like this point makes it less 'fun'.

Gwent had a better implementation of this where you play three games back to back rather than concurrently. You have similar strategic considerations but it avoids pretty much all of the combos you mentioned.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think the game would have had a much better chance if everyone had all the cards, but yeah Valve needed to be quicker on the draw with adding in more interesting new cards.

I dunno, collecting the cards is a big part of the appeal of these games for a lot of people.

nearly killed em! posted:

We know the business model isn't the issue with Artifact, a ton of people bought the game knowing full well what it was. What we also know is that those same people stopped playing incredibly quick because they just don't like playing it. Game loving sucks

Do we know how many copies were sold? I got the impression it was a few hundred thousand which is honestly kind of dismal for the company that made DotA2, TF2, Portal, L4D and etc.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

boredsatellite posted:

gravity gun was fun as hell

Yeah, stuff like this is a dime a dozen now but I had never seen anything like it before HL2 and it was really fun and cool and novel.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

serious q has a game made by a major publisher, especially one with the reputation for quality valve has, ever flopped anywhere near as dramatically as this has?

this is looking like a dud that only valve could pull off

Probably lots, but Valves in a weird position where development for their other live service games feels like it's languishing and this is the only new thing they'd released in years.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hellsau posted:

What happened to Hex?

They just never attracted that big of an audience, and new content released too slowly to hold on to the player base they had. What was there was good imo, but without a community and well paced releases there's really no draw for a game like that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah, I mean it was absolutely pay to win (pay to compete, if you really want to split hairs), all TCGs are, but the real problems were that it was too much work to play, the cards were boring, and there wasn't much progression in place to keep players engaged. Garfield got the last one right at least.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

How many failures does it take for people to think maybe Richard Garfield got lucky. Like I'm not even convinced Magic is a good game what with the whole being mana screwed/starved thing.

Magic has problems that are easy to spot in retrospect but it also pretty much invented the genre so it's understandable it wouldn't be perfect. I think luck plays a big role in any mega-success like that but I don't think it was as major of a factor for Magic as it was for a lot of them, like, say, Minecraft, for example.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

To be fair to Epic, having games that steam doesn't is pretty much the only thing that would get me to use their store over steam since I couldn't care less about any of an online videogame storefront's features other than what games it has on it. Like on the one hand it's pretty hilarious that they don't have a shopping cart, but on the other I don't think I've ever used the shopping cart on steam. Steam's refund thing is nice I guess. The Epic store has definitely been a real monkey's paw thing, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I wonder if the $20 entry fee was actually a good idea in retrospect? I doubt the game would have taken off even if it was f2p, and this way they probably made a few hundred thousand $20 sales. Valve does it again!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Char posted:

Anyone remembers Tides of Blood? I was an idiot back then but I liked it far more than DOTA.

I loved that map, it's where I figured out what "feeding" was, by doing it a lot.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly the core design of "card game played across three lanes" isn't terrible, and I suspect that's more what Garfield is referring to. It is admittedly a cool gameplay puzzle of needing to manage multiple boards at once with the same deck, choosing when to abandon one board to gain an advantage in another, etc. I think a really cool and interesting game could be made of that, but artifact is NOT it.

Doesn't Gwent basically do this but in a non pain in the rear end way by not making you play the three games simultaneously?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Did anyone here play Scrolls, the digital TCG by Notch of candy mansion fame? The business model was pretty much the same, as was the fate of the game as far as I know. Artifact got a lot more hype and initial interest and ended up cratering more spectacularly, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

Valves thing seems to be hiring talented people and paying them not to make anything

Good work if you can get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alctel posted:

So what actually happened to this game? I feel CCG like this are usually a license to print money

Plenty of card games never really attract much an audience and then quietly shut down. This one just couldn't pull off the quietly part because it was so high profile.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

it was a game that was sold for 20 bucks, with a marketplace to buy/sell cards, which already makes it less player friendly than basically any of it's online counterparts, and then the actual gameplay felt less like a complete game and more a first pass beta.

Yeah, I feel like if there was a decent way to earn cards as an f2p player it could have hung on to a core audience of 12 year olds for a pretty long time. But maybe not, there's a lot of competition these days. That and the game just wasn't very fun.